Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. I recently directed outreach and community content for a global education project. I am a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on Matchery to help groups improving the open Internet find legal help in all jurisdictions. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Thoughts on Current movement roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 21:07, 17 December 2017 Wikimedians of Bulgaria/2017/Calendar (hist) [16,507 bytes] Spiritia (talk | contribs)
- 18:35, 17 December 2017 Wikimedia Blog/Drafts/Seven translation tools you can use to work in multiple languages across Wikimedia projects/ar (hist) [10,706 bytes] Haytham abulela (talk | contribs)
- 18:11, 17 December 2017 Tech/News/2017/51/cs (hist) [4,782 bytes] Matěj Suchánek (talk | contribs)
- 17:55, 17 December 2017 Wikimedians of Central India/All Activities (hist) [96 bytes] Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk | contribs)
- 17:23, 17 December 2017 Final Jury meeting for WLM 2017,India (hist) [1,047 bytes] Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk | contribs)
- 15:57, 17 December 2017 Tech/News/2017/51/kn (hist) [6,218 bytes] Anoop Rao (talk | contribs)
- 15:35, 17 December 2017 Tech/News/2017/51/hi (hist) [5,909 bytes] Anoop Rao (talk | contribs)
- 11:08, 17 December 2017 Tooryanaad 2017,Bhopal (hist) [3,903 bytes] Suyash.dwivedi (talk | contribs)
- 11:08, 17 December 2017 Tooryanaad 2017 (hist) [578 bytes] Suyash.dwivedi (talk | contribs)
- 10:24, 17 December 2017 Wikimedia Blog/Drafts/Seven translation tools you can use to work in multiple languages across Wikimedia projects/el (hist) [13,038 bytes] Kalliope (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 08:44, 17 December 2017 Tech/News/2017/51/el (hist) [7,766 bytes] Kalliope (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 07:29, 17 December 2017 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Khorasani Turkic (hist) [783 bytes] 220.127.116.11 (talk)
- 07:21, 17 December 2017 Global Collaboration/Newsletter/Issues/2017/12/he (hist) [5,540 bytes] יונה בנדלאק (talk | contribs)
- 06:20, 17 December 2017 Tech/News/2017/51/he (hist) [5,672 bytes] יונה בנדלאק (talk | contribs)
- 06:15, 17 December 2017 WLB Photo-walk 2018 (hist) [2,045 bytes] Atudu (talk | contribs)
- 04:37, 17 December 2017 Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/nov (hist) [6,893 bytes] 18.104.22.168 (talk) (Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile web edit)
- 02:04, 17 December 2017 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Empherian (hist) [124 bytes] Ruskiguy (talk | contribs) (Tags: New article without categories or templates, Mobile edit, Mobile web edit)
News: Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting: Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun: SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Top of the desk. Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24 | Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, eo chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
(general note : soughameter optional)