Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. In the past I directed part of a global education project and served as a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on Matchery to help groups improving the open Internet find legal help in all jurisdictions. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Movement thoughts on roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 06:59, 16 July 2018 WMDE Technical Wishes/Footnote highlighting (hist) [2,563 bytes] Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk | contribs)
- 23:50, 15 July 2018 Tech/News/2018/29/ru (hist) [6,536 bytes] Ле Лой (talk | contribs)
- 22:45, 15 July 2018 Wikipedia & Education User Group/es (hist) [22,261 bytes] TheNerdestMexican (talk | contribs)
- 22:38, 15 July 2018 Wikimedia Finno-Ugric Collaboration/fi (hist) [5,933 bytes] Surjection (talk | contribs)
- 22:37, 15 July 2018 Wikimedia Foundation/fi (hist) [15,658 bytes] Surjection (talk | contribs)
- 17:35, 15 July 2018 Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory/Language Territories Mapping (hist) [373 bytes] Marcmiquel (talk | contribs)
- 16:27, 15 July 2018 GLAMTLV2018/Submissions/Working with government for GLAM projects (hist) [7,447 bytes] Suyash.dwivedi (talk | contribs)
- 14:01, 15 July 2018 Admin activity review/Notice to inactive right holders/mr (hist) [4,165 bytes] Tiven2240 (talk | contribs)
- 13:39, 15 July 2018 Wikimedia Resource Center/ko (hist) [2,983 bytes] Ykhwong (talk | contribs)
- 02:46, 15 July 2018 Punjabi Wikimedians/WikiExpeditions/Patiala Zoo Patiala, Sheesh Mahal Patiala (hist) [759 bytes] Gurlal Maan (talk | contribs)
- 01:50, 15 July 2018 User:Simon 1996/common.js (hist) [161 bytes] Simon 1996 (talk | contribs) (Tag: New article without categories or templates) originally created as "Simon 1996/common.js"
- 21:19, 14 July 2018 Translation of the week/bg (hist) [2,687 bytes] Vodnokon4e (talk | contribs)
- 16:09, 14 July 2018 Wikimedia and Libraries User Group/Resources/2018 activities plan poll results (hist) [1,034 bytes] AVasanth (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 15:54, 14 July 2018 Wikimedia and Libraries User Group/Meeting minutes/2018/June/28 (hist) [1,105 bytes] AVasanth (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 15:49, 14 July 2018 Tech/News/2018/29/es (hist) [4,534 bytes] Zerabat (talk | contribs)
- 15:46, 14 July 2018 Wikimedia and Libraries User Group/Wikimania 2018 (hist) [4,294 bytes] AVasanth (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 14:19, 14 July 2018 Punjabi Wikimedians/WikiExpeditions/Anandpur Sahib (Punjab), Naina Devi, Mandir Baba Balak Nath (Himachal Pardesh) (hist) [289 bytes] Gurlal Maan (talk | contribs)
News : Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting : Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun : SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Strategy : w:User:John_Carter/Opinions (2009), 2015?
Top of the desk.
Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24
| Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, EO chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
(General note : soughameter optional)