Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. I recently directed outreach and community content for a global education project. I am a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on Matchery to help groups improving the open Internet find legal help in all jurisdictions. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Thoughts on Current movement roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 04:53, 23 October 2017 Wikimedia Conference (India) (hist) [496 bytes] Titodutta (talk | contribs)
- 02:39, 23 October 2017 GLAM/id (hist) [4,981 bytes] Rachmat04 (talk | contribs)
- 22:56, 22 October 2017 Tech/News/2017/43/ru (hist) [5,650 bytes] Ле Лой (talk | contribs)
- 18:16, 22 October 2017 Translation requests/WMF/Audit committee/es (hist) [1,635 bytes] 22.214.171.124 (talk) (Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile web edit)
- 17:46, 22 October 2017 Wikisource Community User Group/2017 Report (hist) [730 bytes] VIGNERON (talk | contribs)
- 15:18, 22 October 2017 Volunteer Supporters Network/Berlin Meeting 2017 (hist) [3,234 bytes] Raimund Liebert (WMAT) (talk | contribs)
- 12:45, 22 October 2017 Tech/News/2017/43/cs (hist) [4,279 bytes] Matěj Suchánek (talk | contribs)
- 09:39, 22 October 2017 Tech/News/2017/43/he (hist) [5,167 bytes] יונה בנדלאק (talk | contribs)
- 09:01, 22 October 2017 ItWikiCon/2017/Programma/Wikipedia 4 Refugees (hist) [835 bytes] Jaqen (talk | contribs)
- 05:04, 22 October 2017 Möller's Law/zh (hist) [1,346 bytes] Liuxinyu970226 (talk | contribs)
- 23:01, 21 October 2017 Bridges across Cultures/Lists/Uruguay (hist) [2,791 bytes] B1mbo (talk | contribs)
- 22:17, 21 October 2017 Bridges across Cultures/Status/Middle East and North Africa (hist) [3,890 bytes] B1mbo (talk | contribs)
- 20:46, 21 October 2017 Hardware donation program/Sahaquiel9102 (hist) [3,558 bytes] Sahaquiel9102 (talk | contribs) (Tag: 2017 source edit)
- 16:18, 21 October 2017 ItWikiCon/2017/Programma/Beni Culturali: condividere un patrimonio comune (hist) [2,244 bytes] Saverio.G (talk | contribs)
- 15:54, 21 October 2017 Wikimedia movement affiliates/Portal/fa (hist) [6,515 bytes] YasharSM (talk | contribs)
- 15:54, 21 October 2017 Wikimedia movement affiliates/fa (hist) [3,231 bytes] YasharSM (talk | contribs)
- 15:52, 21 October 2017 Wikimedia movement affiliates/Models/fa (hist) [3,344 bytes] YasharSM (talk | contribs) (Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile web edit)
News: Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting: Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun: SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Top of the desk. Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24 | Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, eo chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
(general note : soughameter optional)