|The central Wikimania wiki is now at wikimania.wikimedia.org.|
Wikimania is an annual conference centered on the Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia and similar projects). It features presentations on Wikimedia projects, other wikis, free/open source software, free knowledge and free content, and the social and technical aspects which relate to these topics.
- The most recent, Wikimania 2019, was in Stockholm, Sweden, between 14–18 August 2019.
- The following event, Wikimania 2020, will be in Bangkok, Thailand.
What do people do at Wikimania?
Wikimania attracts Wikimedia project participants from around the world, including writers, editors, programmers, and photographers; Wikimedia Foundation staff; and members of the 40+ country-based Wikimedia chapters. Many researchers also attend and present. Attendance has ranged from 380 to 2,000 people, with representation from more than 80 countries. The conference is typically held on a different continent each year, and has taken place in thirteen countries on five continents to date.
Wikimania is organized by local volunteer teams, with support from international volunteers, the Wikimedia Foundation and other sponsors. The conference's location is determined by an international jury of community members, who review location bids submitted by teams from different locations. Guidelines for interested communities who wish to host Wikimania, and information about past bids, can be found below.
The conference program consists of presentations and workshops from community members, speakers from related projects, and wiki researchers, as well as social activities and informal discussions. Some formal research is presented, in addition to "best practice" knowledge sharing and presentations of ongoing work. Wikimania also features formal reports from Wikimedia Foundation board members and staff, renowned keynote speakers, and opportunities to interact with dedicated Wikimedia contributors from all around the world.
- See also Wikipedia coverage of Wikimania in dozens of languages.
People who have been to (almost) every Wikimania are listed at Wikimania/Frequent attendees.
Most generally, the decision in where to hold the conference is based proposals that are vetted by the WMF and Wikimania Committee. The WMF Event Manager works closely with interested people and groups in exploring that possibilities and drafting a proposal. There has also been a strong effort in the past to ensure that conference locations are distributed fairly evenly around the globe from year to year.
The Wikimania Committee runs the selection of venue several years in advance. The location is rotated around areas of the world.
- Join the Wikimania mailing list, or browse its archives.
- The Wikimania/community group is a WikiProject for supporting Wikimania. Please list yourself there if you have experience working on Wikimania or would like to help out.
- Visit the online chat room #wikimania on the freenode IRC network (see IRC instructions for help.)
- Wikimania checklist – a general checklist of things that need to be done to run a conference (especially Wikimania).
- Wikimania Handbook – This is a a few years out of date, but is good for historical purposes.
- Unofficial advice for running a Wikimania conference, written up in 2007 by Phoebe: User:Phoebe/Wikimania
- wm2014:Videos and wm2013 and earlier videos
See table above, #Past Wikimanias, for feedback from specific conferences.
Discuss general concerns on this page's talk page.