Fundraising 2007/Why Give blog
Visit the blog at http://whygive.wikimedia.org/ and add it to your RSS readers and blogrolls!
What is the "Why Give" blog?
This blog will be a blog designed to accompany the 2007 Fundraiser. We are creating the blog on an experimental basis. It will feature bloggers from the Wikimedia communities, who will byline the posts. Essentially, the articles will be theirs (licensed under the GFDL).
The posts will be provocative and diverse. They will be designed to make people think and discuss. The most recent post will be linked from the global sitenotice.
The blog will be in English for now. Other language blogs can be added should the blog create a measurable impact and the need for those languages be merited.
Your suggestions for posts
Every post should, in some way, be connected to the fundraiser. It should answer, implicitly or explicitly, the question: Why should you support the Wikimedia Foundation? Please understand that not all posts can and will be selected for the fundraiser.
Please remember to add a byline, e.g. "[Your name] lives in [location] and has been a contributor to [project] since [date]. He enjoys [activity] and has a [blog|website|pet|whatever]." ;-)
- 72 Beautiful smile quote – Keep On Smiling
- /Why Wikipedia doesn't have advertising (slightly modified)
- /OMG! Wikipedia is gone! I'll flunk my exams
- /Engines of Collaboration: A Look Under the Hood of Wikimedia
- /Why Wikipedia is important
- /Preservation of knowledge, decades from now
- /Wikipedia and the Movement for Free Culture
selected for cleanup/posting:
- /What else does Wikimedia host? more complete than this and this
- /Wikibooks: The Future of Free Education - Why was Thomas Jefferson so passionate that he wrote "I cannot live without books?"
- /Wikimedia: The Future
- /Inventor Asks for Your Contribution
- /Contribute in Honor of Teachers
please add suggestions below:
- /Why the foundation is expanding beyond "just the encyclopaedia"
- /How can you still help even if you can't donate
- /Freely available information is giving people the means to help themselves
- /A few things you didn't know Wikipedia helps
- /Behind Wikipedia: Meet The Other Wikimedia Projects
- /Where'd My Money Go?
- /So far, plenty untapped potential in the "other" projects
- /In 50 words or less...
- Wikimedia Commons: Why free content media matters
Other ways you can help
We will need a few blog moderators to periodically check the blog comments for trolling, vandalism, flamewars, etc. If you're interested in participating this way, please email Cary Bass.