User talk:Trizek (WMF)

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Hello!

If you leave me a message here, I'll answer here too with a mention of your username.
Don't forget to set up your Notifications sytem!

Contents

Just a Simple Question[edit]

I wonder why Visual Editor does not supports some languages, even French Wikipedia doesn't supports (I accidentally saw after going link to your User Page). Is it Visual Editor's Technical Problem? Or Local Wikipedia Problem? --Alex00728 (talk) 10:51, 18 June 2015 (UTC)

Hey Alex00728
VisualEditor has some problems with some writing systems: composed writings like hangeul, right-to-left languages and others. These technical problems will be solved in the coming months (not scheduled at the moment).
Otherwise, VisualEditor is deployed on quite all latin languages. French Wikipedia uses it, and there you have the choice between wikitext editor (button "modifier le code") and VE (button "modifier") by default. Some other latin-based language Wikipedias don't have VE yet, per communities decisions.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:59, 18 June 2015 (UTC)
Oh.. Is Visual Editor not in beta for some latin languages? I found Visual Editor beta on English Wikipedia, and I thought there isn't any not in beta Visual Editors. Thank you for your accurate answer. --Alex00728 (talk) 10:25, 19 June 2015 (UTC)
VE is a beta feature on English, Dutch, German and Spanish. All other Latin languages have VE activated by default. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:06, 19 June 2015 (UTC)

Outreach program[edit]

Hello, I just found out about the Outreach program, and I was wondering what are the priorities of the translation program, I took look at the mini-tasks and I definitely can do them but as someone who isn't programmer what would the best direction I should focus on for internship project? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by KenzaLkheir (talk)

Hello
Did you had a look to the Outreach program task on Phabricator?
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:33, 15 March 2017 (UTC)

Some problem about Flow[edit]

Hello ! I'm user from zh wikipedia. I try to post something but it's show "Error: One or more dependencies failed to load".Sometime, it may work ( that mean not error ) , but most of the time it show that , and I can't post message.9shi (talk) 23:53, 9 October 2015 (UTC)

It's still cannot be used . It's show : Error: One or more dependencies failed to load.( win 10 .chrome45.0.2454.101 ) 9shi (talk) 00:03, 13 October 2015 (UTC)

Bug report[edit]

Hi, Trizek. I'm from Japanese Wikipedia, ja:user:にょきにょき. I reported an IME bug on VE (ja:Wikipedia:ビジュアルエディター/フィードバック/IME). Could you please confirm it? Regards, --Nyoki2 (talk) 15:57, 8 November 2015 (UTC)

Hi Nyoki2!
I was on vacation last week. This bug has been reported here. Thank you for pointing this out!
Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:13, 16 November 2015 (UTC)


translation adminship[edit]

Hi, I just gave you, as requested, TA rights here. I assume you know how it works. Have fun, -Barras talk 23:00, 17 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi Barras. Thanks a lot :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:40, 18 December 2015 (UTC)

Amélioration technique de Wikiquote[edit]

Bonsoir,

J'avais contribué à Wikiquote mais ai vite abandonné. Ce qui m'a tout de suite posé problème et m'a conduit, je pense, à m'en éloigner assez vite, c'est la structure de Wikiquote organisée par pages regroupant des citations. Cela conduit à devoir copier chaque citation dans au moins deux pages, la page de l'auteur et la page du sujet. Ce principe de doublon n'est pas du tout satisfaisant.

Une solution, je pense, serait d'avoir une page par citation. Et chaque citation serait marquée (catégorisée ?) d'une part de leur auteur et d'autre part (séparément) de leur sujet. Pour la consultation, les pages sur un sujet donné ou sur un auteur donné pourraient être regroupées sous une forme à déterminer, par exemple :

  • une liste des sujets de citation pour un auteur donné ou une liste des auteurs de citation pour un sujet donné ;
  • une page de consultation regroupant les différentes citations sur un sujet ou une page de consultation regroupant les différentes citations d'un auteur donné, un peu comme le bistro de la Wikipédia francophone qui est le regroupement de plusieurs pages journalières.

Wikiquote n'est pas un projet très vivant mais une amélioration de sa structure pourrait peut-être permettre de le péréniser.

O.Taris (discuter) 22:02, 12 January 2016 (UTC)

Bonjour O.Taris
Je connais vraiment très peu Wikiquote.
Cependant, il serait possible d'améliorer le système que tu décris assez facilement, en créant effectivement une page par citation et en les transcluant là où cela est nécessaire (comme fait sur le bistro de fr.wp). Cette amélioration est du ressort de la communauté, qui peut éventuellement faire appel à la Fondation (au travers des subventions/Grants) pour avoir un peu de soutien technique (via un bot, par exemple).
Dans tous les cas, il y a une partie importante qui repose sur les épaules de la communauté. Celle-ci doit être proactive et initier le changement. La communauté de Wikisource a ainsi établi des besoins, qui ont été pris en compte lors du sondage sur les besoins techniques communautaires.
Cordialement, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 22:23, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
J'en avais parlé au salon de Wikiquote mais ça semble avoir été sans suite, soit parce que c'est une mauvaise idée, soit parce que Wikiquote manque de contributeurs. Mais je ne crois pas que cela puisse être fait par la seule communauté car il faudrait séparer complétement les marquages (ou catégorisation) auteur et sujet. Je t'ai fait part de cette proposition en écho à ma dernière remarque sur le bistro de la Wikipédia francophone où je regrettais que des projets complexes soient développés pour traiter des besoins qui n'en sont pas vraiment alors qu'on pourrait faire des choses simples pour traiter des problèmes qui me paraissent réels. O.Taris (discuter) 22:46, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
Ah, l'implication :/
J'ai galéré (et galère encore) en tant que bénévole pour avoir des avis sur des choses importantes et structurelles sur Wikipédia, alors j'imagine bien que sur un wiki à faible trafic, c'est pire encore. Et professionellement parlant, c'est tout aussi difficile.
Une manière de faire serait de poser la question directement aux contributeurs actifs, en laissant un message sur leur page de discussion, pointant vers une proposition concrète de structuration. Cela prend du temps, mais c'est le plus efficace.
J'ai répondu sur le bistro (sans doute l'as-tu vu). J'espère que cette réponse te sera utile, je serai ravi de détailler si tu le souhaites.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 22:53, 12 January 2016 (UTC)

mw:Help talk:Notifications[edit]

This talk page is full of stuff that has nothing to do with the help page, please move to mw:Talk:Echo (Notifications) all offtopic threads. Nemo 08:05, 16 January 2016 (UTC)

Flow[edit]

Bonjour, je n'ai vu que des Wikipedias demander Flow, un Wikivoyage ou un Wikibooks peut-il églement le demander ?
Merci d'avance Archi38 (talk) 20:24, 16 February 2016 (UTC)

PS: Et félicitation pour ces notifications interwikis, ça va être beaucoup plus pratique !

Bonjour Archi38
Le Wiktionaire en français teste Flow, Wikidata et MediaWiki l'ont de disponible dans les préférences Beta. Il est donc possible pou rune communauté qui en fait la demande (suite à décision collégiale) de tester Flow sur leur wiki.
Pour les notifications interwiki, nous comptons beaucoup sur vos retours dès jeudi pour améliorer cette nouveauté ! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:08, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Nouveaux logos[edit]

New Wiktionary proposal logo

Bonjour,

J'ai amélioré et "flatisé" les logos de la Wikimedia notemment ceux de Wikinews et Wiktionary qui en avaient bien besoin ! Où doit-on proposer mes nouveaux logos étant donné que cela impactera les wikis dans toutes les langues ?

Et voici la liste complète de mes logos ici

Merci d'avance, Archi38

Bonjour Archi38
Ce type de changement est à proposer sur Meta, sur la page Requests for comment.
Par contre, je doute que cela soit facilement accepté.
Cordialement, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:42, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

Place to post news on the Wikipedia in Russian[edit]

Dear colleague! You asked to move your message to most suitable place and inform you. The forum of the Wikipedia in Russian has a special section to post news: ru:Википедия:Форум/Новости (I moved your message to that section). Gamliel Fishkin 12:08, 10 March 2016 (UTC)

Thanks a lot, Gamliel Fishkin. Really appreciated! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:54, 10 March 2016 (UTC)

Pl-Wiki Flow notification[edit]

Dear Trizek,
Thank you for letting us know about Flow beta feature. For your information, you had asked Tar in his discussion page about the discussion about introducing Flow. In this discussion the voices were split 9:9, or 8:7 (depends on count), so about fifty-fifty, very far from "consensus", at least in my humble opinion. Yours --Felis domestica (talk) 23:03, 15 March 2016 (UTC)

Hello Felis domestica
I've cheched the community consultation when Tar Lócesilion made the request. I haven't seen anything which was a blocker: some decisions on some wikis can be taken with a fifty-fifty result. I also know automated translations from Polish to English are perfectible, that's why I've asked Tar for precision.
My advice for your community would be to try Flow, but it is your decision.
Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:18, 16 March 2016 (UTC)

Traduction[edit]

Salut, je cherche à savoir s'il est possible d'utiliser l'extension Translate sur meta en partant d'une version française ? et quelle doit alors être le nom de la page source (par exemple « Page » ou « Page/fr ») ? Akeron (talk) 13:43, 30 March 2016 (UTC)

Salut Akeron
La langue de base est l'anglais, par défaut. Pour l'exemple, les pages de la wikiconférence fr ne sont pas marquées pour la traduction vu qu'elles ne sont pas en anglais de base.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:32, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Donc ce n'est pas possible d'utiliser cette extension pour faire du fr->en ? ou est-ce qu'on peut changer la langue par défaut au moment où l'admin marque la page pour la traduction ?Akeron (talk) 16:41, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Je n'ai pas souvenir d'avoir vu une telle possibilité. Je vais me remplonger dans la doc. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:24, 30 March 2016 (UTC)

Sister Projects Committee[edit]

Bonjour, le comité des projets frères est censé analyser les propositions de nouveaux projets, seulement il a arrêté de faire son job depuis 2005 (dernière fois qu'ils ont approuvé/désapprouvé un projet). Pourriez-vous vous pencher sur ça à la Wikimedia foundation ? Je pense qu'il faudrait voter par une prise de décision le fait que le comité soit remplacé par des stewards. Il faudrait également rendre traduisible les pages sur le sujet.

Je propose ça car je compte bientôt proposer un projet et je souhaiterais avoir une réponse. Cordialement, Archi38 (talk) 16:34, 4 April 2016 (UTC)

Bonjour Archi38
Si j'en crois Proposals_for_new_projects, la dernière proposition revue date de fin 2014. La plupart des propositions ne dépassent pas le statut de discussion et rares sont celles qui vont jusqu'à être proposées pour de bon. Quand elles le sont, elles sont closes après discussion, par les participants.
Pour ce qui est de remplacer le SPCom par les stewards, il faut lancer une RfC. C'est une décision communautaire à prendre qui ne dépend pas de la Fondation.
Rendre traduisible la page New project process nécessite qu'elle quitte son statut de brouillon. N'importe quel utilisateur ayant les droits de traduction peut alors la marquer pour traduction.
Cordialement, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:13, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
Ah oui autant pour moi.. Pour ce qui est de la RFC, je la fait sur RFC ou Meta:RFC ? J'aurais tendance à dire RFC vu que cela influencera tous les nouveaux projets, mais d'un autre côté les décisions ne seront prises que sur Meta.
Pour ce qui est de la page, je l'écrirais une fois la RFC close. Et merci ! Archi38 (talk) 10:49, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
Au pire, quelqu'un vous dira où faire la RFC. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 11:01, 5 April 2016 (UTC)
RFC créée ! Archi38 (talk) 18:13, 6 April 2016 (UTC)

Page protection in Flow[edit]

Is it possible to fully protect only the "description" section of a Flow board? I tried the normal "protect" (&action=protect) and it protects the whole board (i.e. normal users can't post nor reply anymore). Thanks. Kenrick95 (talk) 13:17, 1 May 2016 (UTC)

Hi Kenrick95
Unfortunately, that's not possible at the moment. Do not hesitate to request it on the related Phabricator task.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 08:12, 2 May 2016 (UTC)

Workboard and priority[edit]

Pay attention to https://secure.phabricator.com/T8135 Nemo 08:48, 7 May 2016 (UTC)

Wow! I didn't knew about that, thanks Nemo. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:08, 9 May 2016 (UTC)

Piped links in Flow[edit]

Hello Trizek. There seems to be a problem with piped links in Flow. When trying to use them at Wikispecies they do not work as expected, or simply not at all. Also, patrolling edits made using Flow doesn't work: whether "manually" trying to mark them as patrolled (using the diffs.) or by use of RTRC, nothing happens. I've tried setting the namespaces to "All" in RTRC, as well as "Topic", but neither works. Please see species:User talk:Archi38#Please hit the breaks for details regarding both the piped links and patrolling problems.

Marking edits as patrolled perhaps isn't a very big deal, but being able to use piped links is important, and a basic part of wiki code. Do you please have any hints, thoughts or solutions regarding this? –Best regards, Tommy Kronkvist (talk · contribs) 09:57, 16 May 2016 (UTC).

Hi Tommy Kronkvist
Sorry for that late answer, I was off these last days.
Can you give me an example of a piped link? Do you mean a link like that example: [[species:User talk:Archi38#Please hit the breaks|see Archi38's page]]? If yes, having an arrow after the link is a normal behavior: that link goes to an other website and people may want to know about it.
Also, concerning patrolling and history, we have a bunch of things that should be fixed. We will prioritize that soon (with a user survey) and I hope we wil have resources do fix things and ad new features to Flow.
Regarding RTRC, Flow is provided with an API and other technical things I don't know about (I'm not a developer :)). It is up to all other developers to use these components to create and improve their tools. The Collaboration team will bu its very best to give the relevant tools to all volunteers developers.
Feel free to contact me any time if you have additional suggestions or feedback, either here or on WikiSpecies! I'll be happy to help you.
Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:47, 19 May 2016 (UTC)

Tech News test[edit]

15:09, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

Tech News test #29[edit]

11:58, 18 July 2016 (UTC)

Tech/News/2016/29[edit]

Hello. I've added some links to Phabricator. Could you mark the new version for translation? Guycn2 · 12:23, 18 July 2016 (UTC)

Hello Guycn2
I've marked the page for translation so your links will be visible on translations on meta. But Tech News has now been delivered and translations will not affect delivered messages, unless if they are done page by page.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:39, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
What a shame :( thank you anyway. Guycn2 · 12:47, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
Tech News is delivered on Monday, usually during morning. But we freeze the content on Fridays afternoon UTC to allow people to translate it during the weekend. If you have changes or suggestions, please add them before Friday afternoon UTC. Monday morning's edits are rare and that's a good thing. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:58, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
OK. Guycn2 · 13:01, 18 July 2016 (UTC)

Commons & Flow[edit]

Is there any timeline if and/or when Commons may get opt-in for Flow as a beta? I like it on Wikidata, and like to see it on Commons as well. :) Josve05a (talk) 01:16, 19 September 2016 (UTC)

Hello Josve05a
Flow will not be deployed on any project, unless if a community asks for it. As written on that page, if the Commons community manages to reach a consensus to have Flow deployed as a Beta feature, then Flow will be available. That question has already been asked by community members in August 2015 and the answer was "not yet".
Hope this helps! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:16, 19 September 2016 (UTC)

Issue with the filters[edit]

Hi Trizek. I found an issue with the new RC filters, and I thought I should let you know.

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges?hidebots=1&hidecategorization=1&hideWikibase=1 and then in the dropdown below the filters, use "Template" as the namespace of interest, then press "Show".

When the page loads again, not only it is *not* showing Template namespace changes, but the dropdown has also been reset to "All". In other words, RC filters take away one's ability to restrict RC to a specific namespace. If you like I can also file a Phab task for it. Thanks! Huji (talk) 15:09, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

Thanks Huji, good catch. I'm reporting it right now. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:17, 12 June 2017 (UTC)

Flow at Persian Wikipedia[edit]

Hello,

Per this discussion, please activate Flow for Reference desk at Persian Wikipedia. Thank you 4nn1l2 (talk) 14:35, 15 June 2017 (UTC)

Hello 4nn1l2, it is done! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:10, 15 June 2017 (UTC)

Extension[edit]

Bonjour,

j'ai fait une RfC qui, si elle est acceptée, demanderait une extension supplémentaire (ou une mise à jour d'une extension Wikimédia). Devrais-je m'addresser au projet Phabricator Mediawiki-extensions-requests ou y a-t-il un projet spécifique ?

Merci d'avance, CreativeC38 (talk) 19:15, 7 July 2017 (UTC)

Bonjour CreativeC38
Un premier contact avec l'équipe Language aurait permis de savoir s'il était possible d'avoir ce droit global ou non. À priori, c'est cette équipe qui aura en charge un tel développement, le délai restant à sa discrétion.
Cordialement, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter, July 19, 2017[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons?[edit]

The millions of files on Wikimedia Commons are described with a lot of information or (meta)data. With the project Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons, this data is structured more, and is made machine-readable. This will make it easier to view, search (also multilingually), edit, organize and re-use the files on Commons.

In early 2017, the Sloan Foundation funded this project (see documentation). Development takes place in 2017–2020. It involves staff from the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland (WMDE) and many volunteers. To achieve this, Wikibase support is added to Wikimedia Commons. Wikibase is the technology that is also used for Wikidata.

Recent developments: groundwork[edit]

  • A new and crucial technical step (federation) now makes it possible to reference data from one Wikibase website in another. Because of this, it will be possible to use Wikidata's items and properties to describe media files on Commons.
  • Another important piece of groundwork is under development: so-called Multi-Content Revisions. This feature allows structured data to be stored alongside wiki text, so that one wiki page can contain several types of content.

Team updates[edit]

  • Amanda Bittaker was hired as Program Manager for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons. Amanda will take care of the overall management of the project.
  • Sandra Fauconnier (known as Spinster in her volunteer capacity) is the new Community Liaison. She will support the collaboration between the communities (Commons, Wikidata, GLAM) and the product development teams at the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland.
  • We have open positions for a UX designer and a Product Manager!

Talking with communities and allies[edit]

  • Long-term feedback from GLAMs. Besides the Wikimedia community, many external cultural and knowledge institutions (GLAMs - Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) are interested in Structured Data on Commons and are willing to provide feedback on the long-term plans for the project. Alex Stinson, GLAM strategist at the Wikimedia Foundation, is currently in contact with Europeana, DPLA, the Smithsonian and the National Archives of the United States. Alex is also looking for other GLAM institutions who might be able to advise on the long term. If you know of an institution or partner that may be appropriate for consultation, do get in touch with Alex.
  • Jonathan Morgan, design researcher, is starting to work on two projects:

What comes next?[edit]

  • The Structured Data on Commons team meets in the week after Wikimania to lay the groundwork for the next steps. This includes new backend development and design work, for better and more clear integration of the structured data in pages on Wikimedia Commons.
  • The project's information pages on Wikimedia Commons will receive a long overdue update in the upcoming months. The team will also work on more and better communication channels. Feedback, wishes and tips are welcome at the project's general talk page.

Get involved[edit]

Many greetings from SandraF (WMF) (talk), Community Liaison for this project! 13:55, 19 July 2017 (UTC)

Catalan Wikiquote[edit]

Hi, Trizek. Could you take a look at our thread from Catalan Wikiquote. We have a new question about Flow in our project. Thanks! --Docosong (talk) 16:29, 27 July 2017 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:47, 31 July 2017 (UTC)

Ressources de la WMF pour les Wiktionnaires[edit]

Salut Trizek !

Une contributrice du Wiktionnaire, Zawer, vient de poser une intéressante question à laquelle tu pourras peut-être répondre mieux que nous. Combien la Wikimedia Fondation consacre-t-elle de ressources aux Wiktionnaires ? Aussi bien en développement logiciel spécifique qu'en communication ou maintien des serveurs. Je sais qu'une équipe de Wikidata bosse sur l'intégration de données du Wiktionnaire, mais elle doit être financée par WMDE si je me souviens bien. Et du coup, au niveau de la fondation, je n'ai aucune idée de l'aide que reçoivent les projets Wiktionary. Aurais-tu cette information, ou saurais-tu où la trouver ? Merci d'avance ! Noé (talk) 09:52, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Effectivement, la question est intéressante... Mais la réponse ne va pas être facile Je réponds là bas. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:12, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
Merci, et désolé si ça te prends du temps qui pourrait servir à une tâche plus utile. Tant que l'on est à parler de sous, serait-il possible de savoir si des dons reçus par la Fondation ont été spécialement fléchés pour le Wiktionnaire ? Je sais bien que pour les petits dons (qui forment la majorité des ressources), il n'est pas possible de demander à ce qu'ils ne servent qu'à une tâche précise, mais je pense à des plus gros apports. Je pense que la réponse est non, mais je ne sais pas où la trouver. Désolé encore de passer par toi comme intermédiaire pour mes questions, peut-être qu'un autre salarié de la WMF ou qu'une liste de discussion serait plus adéquate. Noé (talk) 13:25, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
Comme j'explique dans ma réponse détaillée, rien n'est fléché, sauf projets spécifiques faisant l'objet d'une donation dédiée. C'est le cas du projet contre le harcèlement qui fait l'objet d'une donation de la part du fondateur de Craiglist. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:59, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Contacting the WMF Legal department[edit]

I am contacting you because you are listed as a Community Liaison.

I am putting together a proposal at User:Guy Macon/Proposals/CAPTCHA (part of a series of proposals at User:Guy Macon/Proposals).

In my opinion, the next logical step is to inform someone at the WMF legal department. My problem is that there does not appear to be any noticeboard associated with the WMF legal department and every member of the WMF legal department appears to have a user talk page that cannot be edited.

I am unwilling to use email or post to a mailing list because I want everything involved with my proposals to be open and accessible through the history of the page where the discussion occurred. Can you suggest a way that I can contact legal regarding this matter? -Guy Macon (talk) 17:38, 19 August 2017 (UTC)

Hello Guy Macon, and thank you for you message. I've noticed that you have contacted Jacob Rogers from Legal so I guess you don't need my assistance anymore. Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:19, 21 August 2017 (UTC)
Only if zero response from the legal department over an apparent violation of the law by the WMF is an acceptable outcome. --Guy Macon (talk) 02:12, 18 August 2019 (UTC)

reply[edit]

Hello,

This has a reference to your post on my UrWiki talk page and also our Wikimania discussion.

To the best of my knowledge, no sysop or bureaucrat is fully aware as to where to look for system messages/templates for modification. They seem to be available in four different directions:

a) on the Wiki itself
b) on Media Wiki
c) on Meta
d) on Translatewiki

I suggested a listing page, i.e. admins should know where to look for in addressing issues on hand easily.

  1. I also suggest designing a training video for effective use of admin rights. I gave the suggestion that initially this video could be in English which could be later translated into other languages.
  2. I also suggested online sessions for admins of different Wikis. This I feel could be carried on Skype/ Google hangout and groups of admins and bureaucrats could participate in the sessions with the aim of getting deep insights and at the same time clarifying many technical doubts about available tools, templates, system messages and also other aspects such as using Phabricator.--Muzammil (talk) 16:52, 20 August 2017 (UTC)
Hello Muzammil!
Searching for templates or system messages have a known location. You don't need to find them on other wikis.
Templates are only local. There is no cross-wiki templates (a template hosted on a given wiki, but working elsewhere) for now.
System messages are global, all hosted on TranslateWiki, except if they have been overwritten on the local wiki. There is a way to find system messages you need: when you are on the interface, append uselang=qqx at the end of the URL (prefixed by ?, or & is there is already a ?). For instance, see my talk page with only interface messages codes.
When you display this interface with only system messages, you can pick the one you want to check. Let's say we want to check (visualeditor-ca-editsource), which displays Edit source:
  1. copy the message name, without the brackets: visualeditor-ca-editsource
    • to copy it, you may have to use the inspector in your browser (right click > inspect), to copy it. I often recopy it by hand, because it goes faster
  2. check if the message is local by searching it. It is a MediaWiki message, so add the prefix: Mediawiki:visualeditor-ca-editsource
    1. If the page exists locally, you need to edit it locally to have local changes
    2. If the page doesn't exists, you have to go to translatewiki to work on it.
I hope I'm clear enough. If not, please ask me for more details!
Training videos for admins is a pretty good idea. I'm going to ask if there is already some existing.
Online sessions pretty much exist, as instant help on IRC. Anyone can join #mediawikiconnect and have some advice about the tools. You can join anytime. I'll share your idea of having video sessions.
I'll keep you posted, but it may take a bit of time to have the answers. Do not hesitate to ping me to know if I have updates!
Thanks, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:10, 22 August 2017 (UTC)

Please be more careful in updating the distribution list[edit]

Notice how in this edit of yours you changed the English Wiktionary's target from the correct one to the incorrect one? Please be more careful. It is rather annoying to have to move it to the right place and then come back here and fix it so frequently. Please check any other similar lists you have carelessly updated and fix them. --Wikitiki89 (talk) 15:46, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

Sorry for this issue, Wikitiki89. I've updated the list automatically to change the format used, to query it more easily. Thank you for fixing it. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:55, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

Your message is translated in Hindi[edit]

Your message here is translated in Hindi.Thanks for contacting Hindi wikipedia and updating.:- Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 14:09, 6 October 2017 (UTC)

Structured Commons newsletter, October 25, 2017[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Presentations / Press / Events
Audience at Structured Commons design discussion, Wikimania 2017
Team updates
The Structured Commons team at Wikimania 2017

Two new people have been hired for the Structured Data on Commons team. We are now complete! :-)

  • Ramsey Isler is the new Product Manager of the Multimedia team.
  • Pamela Drouin was hired as User Interface Designer. She works at the Multimedia team as well, and her work will focus on the Structured Commons project.
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
Research

Design research is ongoing.

  • Jonathan Morgan and Niharika Ved have held interviews with various GLAM staff about their batch upload workflows and will finish and report on these in this quarter. (phabricator task T159495)
  • At this moment, there is also an online survey for GLAM staff, Wikimedians in Residence, and GLAM volunteers who upload media collections to Wikimedia Commons. The results will be used to understand how we can improve this experience. (phabricator task T175188)
  • Upcoming: interviews with Wikimedia volunteers who curate media on Commons (including tool developers), talking about activities and workflows. (phabricator task T175185)
Development

In Autumn 2017, the Structured Commons development team works on the following major tasks (see also the quarterly goals for the team):

  • Getting Multi-Content Revisions sufficiently ready, so that the Multimedia and Search Platform teams can start using it to test and prototype things.
  • Determine metrics and metrics baseline for Commons (phabricator task T174519).
  • The multimedia team at WMF is gaining expertise in Wikibase, and unblocking further development for Structured Commons, by completing the MediaInfo extension for Wikibase.
Stay up to date!

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 14:26, 25 October 2017 (UTC)

Filter not saved[edit]

Hello

I edit the Hungarian Wikipedia and I encountered the following problem: I created a filter for "Special:RecentChanges", but the filter does not remain active (although it is saved and it shows its given name!), I have to select again the filtering on that page. How can I help you with more info to fix it? I hope you can help.

Anyway the "RecentChanges" was much longer, but now it shows only "the last 500 changes" at most. Previously it showed about the last 10.000 changes if I remember well. Can I ask this feat back, please? --Misibacsi (talk) 15:05, 13 November 2017 (UTC)

Hello Misibacsi
Let's try to understand what is not working. Can you share the link for that filter and telle me what you want it to do?
RecentChanges have always been limited to all edits during the last 30 days if there is less than 500 new changes. If there is more than 500 changes, you only see the last 500 edits (which can have been done today only).
Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:38, 13 November 2017 (UTC)

Hello

It is on this page: https://hu.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?hidebots=1&hideminor=1&hideWikibase=1&limit=50&days=30&enhanced=1&title=Speci%C3%A1lis:Friss_v%C3%A1ltoztat%C3%A1sok&urlversion=2

It seems I cannot actually copy the filter here.

I gave it a name: "500 változtatás" (= "500 changes"). It is inside "Mentett szűrők" (="Saved filters"). I guess it is visible for me personally. Can you see it? --Misibacsi (talk) 20:44, 13 November 2017 (UTC)

Thanks Misibacsi.
I see the following filters active: "Human (not bot)", "Non-minor edits", "Page edits", "Page creations", "Category changes" and "Logged actions". Are they the filters you want to have saved? IF not, which filters are missing?
No. They seem to be saved, these filters do not disappear. Misibacsi (talk) 16:00, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
Do they disapear when you click on the trash icon? Trizek (WMF) (talk) 16:34, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
I've manage to save that group of filters.
When I display last 500 edits and I want to save it, it is not possible. Is it your problem?
Yes, I wish to save it ("last 500 edits") as default filter. Misibacsi (talk) 16:00, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
It is not possible yet, but I've reported that relevant request to have it fixed :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 16:34, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
I can't have access to your saved filters.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:55, 14 November 2017 (UTC)

Structured Commons newsletter, December 13, 2017[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests
A multi-licensed image on Wikimedia Commons, with a custom {{EthnologyItemMHNT}} Information template. Do you also know media files on Commons that will be interesting or challenging to model with structured data? Add them to the Interesting Commons files page.
Presentations / Press / Events
Presentation about Structured Commons and Wikidata, at WikimediaCon in Berlin.
  • Sandra presented the plans for Structured Commons during WikidataCon in Berlin, on October 29. The presentation focused on collaboration between the Wikidata and Commons communities. You can see the full video here.
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
Research
  • Research findings from interviews and surveys of GLAM project participants are being published to the research page. Check back over the next few weeks as additional details (notes, quotes, charts, blog posts, and slide decks) will be added to or linked from that page.
Development
  • The Structured Commons team has written and submitted a report about the first nine months of work on the project to its funders, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. The 53-page report, published on November 1, is available on Wikimedia Commons.
  • The team has started working on designs for changes to the upload wizard (T182019).
  • We started preliminary work to prototype changes for file info pages.
  • Work on the MediaInfo extension is ongoing (T176012).
  • The team is continuing its work on baseline metrics on Commons, in order to be able to measure the effectiveness of structured data on Commons. (T174519)
  • Upcoming: in the first half of 2018, the first prototypes and design sketches for file pages, the UploadWizard, and for search will be published for discussion and feedback!
Stay up to date!

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 16:32, 13 December 2017 (UTC)

GCI[edit]

Hi, can you please accept if is all ok, task about documenting thanks extension. Zoranzoki21 (talk) 19:06, 13 January 2018 (UTC)

Hello Zoranzoki21
Since you have abandoned the task, I don't think this requires further action?
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:20, 15 January 2018 (UTC)
No. Thank you! Zoranzoki21 (talk) 15:46, 15 January 2018 (UTC)

Letting you know[edit]

I have fixed it. I did that in response to this. Thanks.--Artix Kreiger (Message Wall) 02:25, 13 February 2018 (UTC)

If there is still the same number of subscribers, it works for me, Artix Kreiger! :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:00, 13 February 2018 (UTC)

Translation right needed for ঝালমুড়ি[edit]

Recently I am doing some translation from English to Bengali , few of those articles need translator admin right. Please help. Jhalmuri (talk) 20:29, 14 March 2018 (UTC)

Jhalmuri, please see RFTA. --Artix Kreiger (Message Wall) 20:53, 14 March 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Spring 2018[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter and contribute to the next issue. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
  • Our dedicated IRC channel: wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
  • Several Commons community members are working on ways to integrate Wikidata in Wikimedia Commons. While this is not full-fledged structured data yet, this work helps to prepare for future conversion of data, and helps to understand how Wikidata and Commons can work better together.
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Discussions held
Events
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
Research
Development
  • Prototypes will be available for Multilingual Captions soon.
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 19:48, 3 April 2018 (UTC)

Affiliate pages as targets[edit]

How is this on topic? Irrelevant messages make it very hard to keep the affiliates' pages in shape. --Nemo 14:42, 7 June 2018 (UTC)

Hello Nemo
That page is also used for announcements for all Wiktionaries. My mistake is that I should have posted it on Talk:Wiktionary/Technical improvements instead. I'll make the move.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:33, 7 June 2018 (UTC)
Alright. That talk page seems better indeed. --Nemo 06:24, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Summer 2018[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter and contribute to the next issue. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
  • Our dedicated IRC channel: wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
  • Since our last newsletter, the Structured Data team has moved into designing and building prototypes for various features. The use of multilingual captions in the UploadWizard and on the file page has been researched, designed, discussed, and built out for use. Behind the scenes, back-end work on search is taking place and designs are being drawn up for the front-end. There will soon be specifications published for the use of the first Wikidata property on Commons, "Depicts," and a prototype is to be released to go along with that.
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Discussions held
Wikimania 2018
Partners and allies
Research

Two research projects about Wikimedia Commons are currently ongoing, or in the process of being finished:

  1. Research:Curation workflows on Wikimedia Commons—a project that seeks to understand the current workflows of Commons contributors who curate media (categorize it, delete it, link to it from other projects, etc.).
  2. Research:Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media—soliciting feedback from individuals and organizations that re-use Commons content outside of Wikimedia projects, in order to understand their current painpoints and unmet needs.
Development
  • Prototypes will be available for Depicts soon.
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 21:07, 6 July 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data Newsletter - Research link fix[edit]

Greetings,

The newsletter omitted two interwiki prefixes, breaking the links on non-meta wikis as you might see above. Here are the correct links:

  1. m:Research:Curation workflows on Wikimedia Commons—a project that seeks to understand the current workflows of Commons contributors who curate media (categorize it, delete it, link to it from other projects, etc.).
  2. m:Research:Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media—soliciting feedback from individuals and organizations that re-use Commons content outside of Wikimedia projects, in order to understand their current painpoints and unmet needs.

My apologies, I hope you find the corrected links helpful.

- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:21, 6 July 2018 (UTC)

Here are some links about Meetei Language wikipedia[edit]

Look what I found [Wp/mni/ꯃꯔꯨꯑꯣꯏꯕ ꯂꯥꯃꯥꯏ - Wikimedia Incubator], come and check it out!https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/mni/%EA%AF%83%EA%AF%94%EA%AF%A8%EA%AF%91%EA%AF%A3%EA%AF%8F%EA%AF%95_%EA%AF%82%EA%AF%A5%EA%AF%83%EA%AF%A5%EA%AF%8F


I already have partially started translation content of some page from English.

A Mangang (talk) 10:03, 27 July 2018 (UTC)

Hello A Mangang!
Thank you for those links. I havent found those links when searching by myself.
Would you like to be a Technical Ambassador for the Incubator instead? that would help other users to get the information about new technical deployments.
What do you think ?
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:36, 1 August 2018 (UTC)

Re: I'm looking for someone interested about newcomers workflows on your wiki (Vietnamese Wikipedia)[edit]

Hello Trizek and thank you for contacted me about the ongoing plan for Help desks. I can use English but not in very fluent-skill (sometimes with help from machine translation), and I hope you can understand it well, of course I will try my best to explain in simple form. Yes, I am willing to support with the team as it will help our new members have more easy way to reach and explore Wikipedia. Some years ago, I installed on Vietnamese WP a gadget to help people report the error they found in any article which they can't fix by themself. It avaiable as button with popups to lead them report to vi:Wikipedia:Báo lỗi bài viết (Report error in articles). You can test by go to random article and check the link "Phản hồi lỗi" in the left menu bar. The idea is from Portugal and Polish Wikipedia. I wonder if this similar with the plan of WMF to deploy a button help fast report to Help desk?--minhhuy (talk) 16:09, 16 October 2018 (UTC)

Hey minhhuy and thank you for that quick reply! :)
Our button is close to the one you have. We plan to have the button inside of the editor and to publish those questions on the Help desk. We also want to measure if it helps new people to make better edits.
If you are still interested, we will need your help to discuss about that with your community. They need to understand why we do this and how we are going to create that button. We are also working on ways to know what people do when they create an account. Here is our whole plan.
Also, please tell me if you don't understand something. English is not my first language too. :)
Thank you again, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 16:32, 16 October 2018 (UTC)
Sure, I imagined about how the button working now and seem it will be great idea, also thank you for your understand about my language problem. About the discussion with local community, will we have any default message is going to send to Village Pump, or I will explain with them about the plan by my own words based on the whole plan page on mw? --minhhuy (talk) 16:41, 16 October 2018 (UTC)
minhhuy, we can do that the way you want. I will prepare a message and you could use it the way you want. I think it will be easier if you work from this message and translate it (your Vietnamese is better than mine!). Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:14, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Also, is there anyone who can assist us as well? I don't want you to feel overloaded. As on the wikis, it is easier to work on something if you to that more than one. :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:37, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Sound good to me about the translation, it help make sure I won't misunderstand something about the plan :^) I will call for support in the end of the message gonna send to Village Pump, but I not sure if will be have more people willing to help on this, since our another Tech Ambassador seem very busy now, and not many active people in current community have experience or interesting with cross-wiki task. Of course we can hope, and in the same time I can do my best to help on this, it would be no problem. --minhhuy (talk) 15:35, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Hello minhhuy
I've created a page explaining the three projects we would like to deploy on your wiki. Do you have questions about that page?
We are not on a cross-wiki project. The project is done on at least 3 wikis (Korean, Czech and - we expect - Vietnamese) but the experiment is separated: Vietnamese experiment will only happen on Vietnamese Wikipedia. At the end, we will see if every wikis have the same results. We will then try to understand why things work or don't work. In any case we expect your community to know more what new people want to do when they create an account. We also want new users to have a better way to ask questions to experienced users.
If you know some people on Vietnamese Wikipedia who are interested by helping newcomers or have more people working on articles, they may be interested by this project. Maybe you should contact them to explain the project? If people on Vietnamese Wikipedia are okay to have that experiment happening, that would be fantastic.
I let you contact your community if you think it is okay. You can translate or adapt the page. Please let me know when it is done. :)
Thank you again for your help! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:41, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for your explain page about the project, I will make it reach to Vietnamese community as soon as possible, and yes, we have many people who willing to help newcomers and I believe Vietnamese Wikipedia will interesting with join this project. I will get back to you once I complete the message in Vietnamese, probably tomorrow. Thank you again. --minhhuy (talk) 15:36, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
You are amazing, thank you ! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:38, 18 October 2018 (UTC)
The message sent to Village Pump at w:vi:Wikipedia:Thảo luận#Kêu gọi tham gia thử nghiệm các sáng kiến giúp đỡ người mới đến, I hope we can have response soon from community. --minhhuy (talk) 04:27, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Great! Thank you very much, minhhuy!
I've just seen that Bluetpp has reacted asking for his role. That's simple: be okay with that experiment and, if possible, be ready to help newcomers on the help desk when the button will be added. I let you reply?
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:43, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
I saw the ping, so he/she directly contact to you follow the link in message. And oops, sorry about the link to each parts, I just added them. --minhhuy (talk) 15:52, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
No problem. :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:33, 22 October 2018 (UTC)

┌───────────────────────────────────────┘
Hello Trizek, after a week discussion, Vietnamese community get consensus about the plan for newcomers. Now what steps we will need to go and what things I can help with this? Thank you! --minhhuy (talk) 16:31, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello minhhuy and thank you with those very good news.
We plan to release the features we are working on on your wiki in December. In the meantime, there are some things we need from your community:
  • while you have an help desk, we need to have translations of the most recent questions, with some context. This would allow us to know what are the most asked questions (and understand why they are asked) so that we can explore a different way of doing things if necessary.
  • we need to know what is the history of actions taken by your community to help newcomers or other users. For instance, is there a dedicated group who improves help pages? If yes, since when?
  • we need to know what are your help resources and where they are linked from (home page, every page, dedicated pages, welcome template and more).
This is not the only things we are looking for. We will have more questions to ask and more details to discover. I'm currently working on the processes for all of that, so that your community can share information with us soon the way we need it. I need to know where I can post those questions. I let you decide, with your community, on the best way to have that work posted on your wiki.
Thank you again! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:49, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
Here are some summary about the working of Help desk in Vietnamese Wikipedia.
  • For most recent question (last 3 month), they are about:
  • Very common: ask for correcting various info in random articles (which actually should be the fuction of Report error in articles),
  • Often: ask about editing tools of Wikipedia, like how to use citation template; how to use fuction hover popups to get preview contents from wikilinks; how to put a wikilinks; problem with use infobox (someone put a infobox based on English Wikipedia article, but it doesn't show because there wasn't that infobox in Vietnamese Wikipedia); how to use math wikitext (someone dont know how to write a math syntax, and we too, also dont know how to do per the request); how to upload image to Wikipedia (especially for people who still living); how to use fuction translate an article; how to write an article; what standards for an artilce can be avaiable on Wikipedia (about Notability). In short: it all about how to edit and use some fuction targeted for edit Wikipedia, and also about how to post a new content into Wikipedia (create new article, new translation from other Wikipedias language).
  • Random: how to navigate Wikipedia (experience users, not newbie anymore), like ask for edit a template; ask about the difference between the nomination process for FA and GA articles; ask for peer review about the citation in an article (verifiability source or not); ask for edit "interface" of a page (layout); ask for how to check orphan pages; ask for recover an deleted article.
  • Special: ask for.... un-ban a website from blacklist. Vietnamese Wikipedia have long abuse history about spam external links, so we have a very long blacklist website, and many people ask about un-ban those url.
  • Also it often that people mistake the Help desk (ask to use Wikipedia) with the Reference desk (ask about random information, knowledge), though it already have a big warning in top header of the page, even in the editnotice every time they click edit page or add a new section. I guess it sometime happens, like people just skip all the guide and want to ask as fast as possible. We even rename the "Help desk" (Bàn giúp đỡ) to "Help using Wikipedia" (Giúp sử dụng Wikipedia), but it still not really prevent people ask about none-Wikipedia-related.
  • These are translation with context for 6 lastest questions:
1. Will the website huongnghiepaau (dot) com is an identifying reliable source enough to make a link in "External links" section? Example: there are articles about food, cooking, then in bottom of article will it okay to put a citation link to this website? And if not, what kinds of website are ok to insert into Wikipedia? (Supporter reply that the url is not okay, because it clearly advertistment url for a company, and probably will get blocked; he forgot to answer question about "what kinds of website are ok to insert into Wikipedia?")
2. Are there anyway to make reflink the text "Facebook" to my Facebook profile? (the question not really have sense even in Vietnamese grammar, so the first supporter (me) guessed that he asked about how to citation Facebook link as a ref source, and suggest him not use those links because Facebook in almost case isn't a reliable source, unless it a official Facebook of someone or organization with blue tick badge; then second supporter seem understand about the question than me, guide him how to put wikitext to make url in alternative text)
3. Please remove website Daoconggiao.net (Christianity website) from blacklist, since we are non-profit organization whose provide useful infomation about Christianity. (None supporter help this case)
4. How to edit Wikipedia? I "have" an article Wikipedia about a person, because first time use Wikipedia, I typo the birth-year of this person. Then after I corrected birth-year, I searched on Google but Google Search show the result about that person still with previous mistake birth year meanwhile the article already updated successful. So how can I edit that infomation? Thank you. (the supporter (me) detected that the question is about Google Cache to show infomation from Wikipedia to their search result, it maybe a bit late to update all content from Wikipedia to Google, so I just simple asked the questioner report this error with Google, not Wikipedia because we just can't do anything to fix that problem, and asked him specific title of article he want to report, but no further response after that)
5. Delete an article: beside sysop, will the autopatrolled users have right to delete articles of others? Thank you. (the supporter replied that only sysop and 'elminator' (a special group in Vietnamese Wikipedia) can have permission to delete articles, autopatrolled users can't do that.)
6. Profile-Trần Toàn: our party is trying to update full verifiability sources from newspapers. Anyone can active the "sandbox" mode of this article to help our party can edit content in proper formats? Thank you. (supporter (me) replied that I dont know which article he mentioned about, since we dont have article title "Trần Toàn" yet in Vietnamese Wikipedia).
  • For history of actions to help newcomers: we don't have any dedicated group to help people with their problems or improve helps pages. Several years ago, there were self-called "Supporter" group whose are people often to help in Help desk and patroll all the request/help pages to resolve issue in any articles or of any users need help. But nowadays, we do that task as spontaneous, favor works, like if we random see someone ask question in anywhere due Recent changes, and if we willing, we go to help them. Of course Help desk still a place for focus all the helper and question resouces, but we dont have a "group" who should always do that task as their role, and we still can help people as soon as possible since our help desk not really high traffic. Same with improve help pages, in random time and with random people, we customize our help pages to make it more friendly and easy to access with newcomers or people who have a question in particular aspect, but we dont have group to that, and it was done by voluntary actions in anytime they have spare times. Vietnamese Wikipedia still a low-mid size Wikipedia, we dont have many actively people everyday so the traffic of those question not really a problem (or it just because our help systems unfriendly with newcomers, who know, that why we hope after this experiment plans, we can know more about what our newcomers really want and so on).
  • If you mean about the Help desk, we link to it from everywhere. In the sitenotice, the Main page, the left navigation menu bar of all pages, the Welcome message automatic sent by bots to all users even IPs. I am thinking about we should put the link even in the editor interface, but that is clearly the purpose of this experiment plans, so it more good. Almost help pages also apperance as links in the Welcome massage, and between them (like the header of our Help desk, the blue buttons guide people to each pages which maybe they can get answer for their question before they ask in there). There are some "hidden" help pages like Media copyright questions, but like I said we have low-traffic help pages and people just often use Help desk or even the article's talk page more than any help page resource.
If it necessary, you can discover more about our community in Our village bump (you also can create a subpage follow the guide in top-box then put it to the bottom of village pump). You may get more view-points about the community about newcomers problem, but I believe that I already provided for you the most overall about our activity towards to newcomers and help pages, since as you already know, we are not that big wiki ;^).
Feel free to ask me if Growth Team need any further details question about Vietnamese community, thank you! --minhhuy (talk) 03:34, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Hello minhhuy
Thank you for all those details! They are very useful!
I need some details: I've checked the number of pages viewed for Wikipedia:Báo lỗi bài viết and Wikipedia:Giúp_sử_dụng_Wikipedia. There are some changes and spikes time to time. Do you know why?
We also need a list the existing help ressources (see an example on this Google document) to reply to the following questions:
  • What are the main help ressources you have? How many people visite those each month?
  • Where newcomers can find those ressources? From the sidebar? From the welcome template? From everywhere else?
Please don't do that job alone: don't forget to involve more community members, so that you will gain time!
I want to ask more view-points about newcomers challenge. If I create a new section, it will be in English. What is the best solution: me posting in English, or you posting directly in Vietnamese (you can say I've asked you, of course)?
  • What is the experience like for newcomers now? Do you think they feel welcome? Is is easy for them to find what they need? What is difficult for them to do?
  • Is there some people ready to help newcomers? If yes, what do they do?
  • Is the community generally in favor of many new editors? Or feel like new editors cause problems?
Thank you again for your help! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 11:15, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
Hello minhhuy, any updates? Have you posted the questions? Do you prefer to have me posting them? Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:45, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
oops, I think I disabled the notification cross-wiki or whatever it called due mistake. Sorry for this so late reply:
  • For the spikes time to time with those Report error page and Help desk, honestly I dont know what happened. In the last recent time the graph have huge change (Nov 14), there is none any promotion activites toward to those pages in Vietnamese community. Maybe it happen outside Wikipedia, like someone post link to Facebook or any social network which get a tons of people might noticed to it.
  • For the Google docs, I filled all to the "Vietnamese Wikipedia" tab page
  • And yes, I am willing to transle all your survey and post to the Village Pump. Do you have anymore question need to ask, since it been a long time already since your 3 old questions. --minhhuy (talk) 04:15, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for your reply, minhhuy.
I don't have other questions that the old ones. It would be great is you can translate the questions and post them on your village pump. Please mention me there, so that I can follow the discussion! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:56, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
I tagged you in this discussion Wikipedia:Thảo luận/Các bước tiếp theo trước khi áp dụng sáng kiến thử nghiệm giúp đỡ người mới đến. --minhhuy (talk) 03:00, 21 November 2018 (UTC)

Re: New projects[edit]

Hi, @Trizek:! I would like to know more about the projects. You can contact me if you need any help. RaymondSutanto (talk) 08:09, 21 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello RaymondSutanto. Thank you for your message. I need to check on a couple of things before replying to you. I'll keep you posted. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:27, 22 October 2018 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

Hi,

You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Fall 2018 edition[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests

Current:

Since the last newsletter:

Presentations / Press / Events
Partners and allies
  • The info portal on Structured Commons now includes a section on GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums).
  • We are currently planning the first GLAM pilot projects that will use structured data on Wikimedia Commons. One project has already started: the Swedish Heritage Board researches and develops a prototype tool to provide improved metadata (translations, data additions...) from Wikimedia Commons back to the source institution. Read the project brief.
  • The documentation for batch uploads of files to Wikimedia Commons will be improved in 2019, as part of preparing for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons. To prepare, the GLAM team at the Wikimedia Foundation wants to understand better which types of documentation you already use, and how you like to learn new GLAM-Wiki skills and knowledge. Fill in a short survey to provide input!
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 17:58, 7 December 2018 (UTC)

Tech News test - week 02, 2019[edit]

18:17, 7 January 2019 (UTC)

Captions in January[edit]

The previous message from today says captions will be released in November in the text. January is the correct month. My apologies for the potential confusion. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:43, 7 January 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data - file captions coming this week (January 2019)[edit]

My apologies if this is a duplicate message for you, it is being sent to multiple lists which you may be signed up for.

Hi all, following up on last month's announcement...

Multilingual file captions will be released this week, on either Wednesday, 9 January or Thursday, 10 January 2019. Captions are a feature to add short, translatable descriptions to files. Here's some links you might want to look follow before the release, if you haven't already:

  1. Read over the help page for using captions - I wrote the page on mediawiki.org because captions are available for any MediaWiki user, feel free to host/modify a copy of the page here on Commons.
  2. Test out using captions on Beta Commons.
  3. Leave feedback about the test on the captions test talk page, if you have anything you'd like to say prior to release.

Additionally, there will be an IRC office hour on Thursday, 10 January with the Structured Data team to talk about file captions, as well as anything else the community may be interested in. Date/time conversion, as well as a link to join, are on Meta.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing those who can make it to the IRC office hour on Thursday. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:09, 7 January 2019 (UTC)

Re: Wikipedia talk pages[edit]

What, you no longer even try to pretend that WMF develops MediaWiki with all Wikimedia wikis in mind? --Nemo 17:02, 8 March 2019 (UTC)

I guess you refer to the last MassMessage I've sent. In which I have a [swearword] massive typo. -_-
[Insert a whole bunch of swears here.]
Say that I don't have all Wikimedia wikis in mind means that you don't know me at all. That's actually pretty much the opposite. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 17:11, 8 March 2019 (UTC)
Ah! I've been there too, my condolences. :) (Indeed it surprised me even more coming from you.) Nemo 19:49, 8 March 2019 (UTC)
Thank you Nemo. I'm still blame myself. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 08:23, 11 March 2019 (UTC)

Your message[edit]

Hello, I am responding to your message here, because there is some kind of problem with your talk page there; I cannot edit it. I just noticed your message yesterday, so I spoke to a few people today and they say they want to participate. Please let us know how we can assist. Avery Jensen (talk) 19:47, 16 March 2019 (UTC)

Hello Avery Jensen, and thank you for your message.
The talk pages consultation has been setup and is ongoing. This is where we need the most efforts for now: we need to get opinions from every kind of editors we have, from total beginners to experienced users. Have diversity being visible is very important.
To achieve this, we have written down some advice. This piece of advice has been posted to various communities a few weeks ago.
If you plan to coordinate with others, maybe you could do this on the consultation's talk page, since I'm monitoring it.
Thank you for your help! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 11:01, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
We do not use talk pages for coordination. I have already made some GLAM-related comments on the consultation page speaking for myself only. If you would like feedback from our group, I can ask them. Not everyone would agree that "being visible is very important" and we try to respect that. Is there a list of questions? I see here "Questions will include..." but I don't see a final list of questions. I see also you will be looking for "StructuredDiscussions/Flow, Liquid Threads and wikitext workflows". We do not have any experience with this; the only time we had an issue with a group that used this for their talk pages, we could not communicate or understand what they were doing until we talked to them in person at Wikimania. Most of our volunteers are busy in their lives and do not have time to learn a new talk page format when they have a question for another wiki, even if the information was available. Likewise the newcomers you want information about do not know how to use talk pages, so you will not get information about them by requiring them to use a talk page for your survey. Our training time with them is very short and they usually do not learn the source editor at all. If you want to reach more Arabic language speakers you may want to try their general discussion page. Best, Avery Jensen (talk) 22:09, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
"We do not use talk pages for coordination." This statement is something we need to know more about. Why don't you use wiki talk pages for coordination? What do you miss? We are looking for what works and what don't work on current talk pages systems, and for details about reasons why.
We indeed have a list of questions. They are listed on the message I left you about starting the consultation on Arabic Wikipedia:
  • When you want to discuss a topic with your community, what tools work for you, and what problems block you? Why?
  • How newcomers use talk pages and what blocks them from using it?
  • What do others struggle with in your community about talk pages?
  • What do you wish you could do on talk pages, but can't due to the technical limitations?
  • What are the important aspects of a "wiki discussion"?
I'm updated the global page on Mediawiki.org since it wasn't accurate (thank you for spotting this).
Concerning reaching at more people, I really need some help. I'm working on the global coordination of this project and my goal is to have the maximum of people participating, from every background and experience. I can't take time reaching at people on every wiki. I'm blocked by the language. And even for the languages I speak (English, French and Spanish), I've contacted some volunteers who have started and are now kindly hosting those discussions. This is why I've contacted you, to see if you could help, by asking those questions to GLAM users, or by inviting more people (especially newcomers) to participate. So can you help?
Thanks, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:21, 19 March 2019 (UTC)
First of all thank you for asking. There should be more communication between the Foundation and the trainers. I was going to let you know we would try to talk about this and see if we had any ideas for you, maybe a little later when people are rested from the Germany summit, but now I will have to ask for a rain check. I was juggling a lot of balls and I thought I had time for this too, but see this talk page discussion here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Files_in_Category:Wikimedia_Cuteness_Association_at_Wikimania_2017 I have no idea how long these last, but I find it distressing and disturbing on many levels, as it seems like this has been a recurring discussion for many years, and now I have been brought into it as well. Even though I have asked them to consolidate their requests, it seems they intend to fill up my talk page with new notification templates one by one by one by one, for who knows how many years, and I will have no time or space for anything else. So if you are making a study of talk pages, you might add this to your list. This may also help explain to you why we don't use wiki talk pages for coordination, and why we cannot discuss on wiki why we cannot discuss this on wiki. If you would like further explanation you can email me, or better yet invite us to France for consultation and don't forget the coffee and croissants. :)
Just a quick response to some of your other points:

Template:OUTDENT

  • Newcomers do not use talk pages because they only edit for the one day during the event, which typically lasts 3 hours, including lunch. I have not seen any new trainers since I joined, so I think we are a dying breed.
  • I can't take time reaching at people on every wiki. Yes, yes, and yes. As the wikipedias become more populated with articles, people are starting to look at other language wikis to fill in knowledge gaps in their own language wiki. But there is no central place to coordinate between languages, like some kind of coffee house, either to ask a simple question or to resolve more complex situations. For instance, the question of training materials came up on the education mailing list, and we would be interested in this because we sometimes have bilinguals attend our events, but there does not seem to be a central place to share training materials.
  • I'm blocked by the language. Yes again, and even if you have a rudimentary skill in the language, you are also blocked by the use of non-standard formats across wikis. You asked a question on my Arabic talk page but I had to answer you on meta because for some reason I was not able to access your Arabic talk page. There was not even a tab to "edit source" and that at least should be standard across all wikis (and without popups you have to mash at random in some strange language.) The Arabic wiki is also difficult of you are typing on a l-to-r keyboard because in preview it displays very oddly, especially the links, even if the eventual edit ends up formatted correctly. The pop-ups are very hard to navigate in another language, because you cannot copy-paste them to a translation tool. It would also be nice to have some formatting standards across the wikis, so you can do some easy tasks, like add a citation or image. Fortunately the same codes like <ref></ref> and so forth do mostly work in multiple languages, but there are exceptions and it would be nice to have a standard, or alternate multi-lingual templates. Some wikis also seem to be closed gardens, in that they have non-standard editors and formats you must learn in order to particulate.
  • Responding to questions like this is very time consuming. I am very surprised that we have never seen any tech people come out to our events to see what happens for themselves and get feedback in person, or to conduct any training. We are left to discover things for ourselves and teach ourselves how to use them. If this, and the non-technical issues surrounding talk pages is something you are not able to address in your current consultation, maybe a different model is needed for consultations.

I will respond later as I can. Thank you again for your interest. Avery Jensen (talk) 19:30, 2 April 2019 (UTC)

thank you for your reply, Avery Jensen. If you need more time to elaborate, please take it. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:41, 3 April 2019 (UTC)

Iberocoop resume[edit]

Hi, I just left the Iberocoop feedback in the technical consultation. Sorry to be late, but the real life is a mess :(. Regards Superzerocool (talk) 20:23, 8 April 2019 (UTC) (ps: thanks for spread the word: I tried three times, but I'm not a good influencer in my community :P)

Superzerocool, thank you very much for the tame you've talen to gather that feedback. It really helps us.
And sorry to be late on my reply: the real life is also a mess on my side. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:34, 12 April 2019 (UTC)

Central Notice Banner Problem[edit]

Hi Trizek, the banner you recently enabled is not working correctly, at least not in monobook. See here for the example. A recent problem was fixed in the Wikimania_2019_reg_cfp banner that may help lead to a fix here as well. Can you take a look? — xaosflux Talk 14:11, 12 June 2019 (UTC)

Thank you for the ping, xaosflux. I've fixed it. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:02, 12 June 2019 (UTC)
Thanks! — xaosflux Talk 15:24, 12 June 2019 (UTC)

Iberocoop talk:Cómo hablamos en el movimiento/Fase 2[edit]

Veo que has iniciado la página Iberocoop talk:Cómo hablamos en el movimiento/Fase 2 referida a posibles mejoras de las páginas de discusión. Mi pregunta es si podría iniciar una nueva sección referida a una posible mejora. Se refiere a incluir en el título de las secciones, incluso en las entradas, un enlace a la versión del artículo activa en la fecha en la que se realiza la edición. ¿podría incluir esta propuesta? Un cordial saludo, Nemo (talk) 11:54, 15 June 2019 (UTC)

Hola Nemo
No es posible, lo siento. La consulta es sólo sobre los puntos enumerados. La fase 1 fue sobre nuevas ideas, lamento que usted la hayas perdido.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 07:52, 17 June 2019 (UTC)
Bueno, era una idea, en otra ocasión será. Saludos cordiales, Nemo (talk) 10:56, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

GLAM comments added[edit]

Hi Trizek (WMF), thank you for your patience, and thank you again for asking for input. I have added the comments from our group here. I have also been in contact with the Arabic group, but they have previous commitments with other Wikipedia projects and do not have time to look at it right now. Also their major Ramadan and Eid holiday season has just finished, so this is probably an added factor. Avery Jensen (talk) 22:38, 17 June 2019 (UTC)

Hello Avery Jensen
Thank you very much for that feedback. It is really useful.
We are going to close the consultation soon. Thank you for your help!
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:40, 18 June 2019 (UTC)

VisualEditor/Newsletter/2019/July test[edit]

18:23, 23 July 2019 (UTC)

Translations[edit]

Forgot to ping you in the thread. [25]Jeblad 12:06, 2 August 2019 (UTC)

Thank you Jeblad! Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:08, 2 August 2019 (UTC)

Help[edit]

Hi brother, I saw before that I could take a computer from Wikimedia for free. Is this true? If so, how can I place an order? Because I no longer have a computer and I couldn't edit in Wikipedia. Greetings--PediAki (talk) 16:52, 14 August 2019 (UTC)

Hello PediAki
It is the Hardware donation program. There is a process to follow though.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 07:46, 16 August 2019 (UTC)

Flow-related request[edit]

Hi. Based on this consensus on fawiki we want to archive fa:ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه (which is a flow board), then convert its content type to wikitext and make a redirect to fa:ویکی‌پدیا:درخواست راهنمایی. I do not have the ability to change the content model of that page. I noticed that you were the person who helped us convert it into a flow board back in Jun 2017, so I thought perhaps you could help us with this request as well? Please {{ping}} me in your response here. Thanks! Huji (talk) 18:51, 28 August 2019 (UTC)

Hello Huji
Any admin can archive the Flow board, by moving the page to a sub-page. A redirect will then be created. This redirect will be a wikitext page with a redirect to the sub-page. You can edit it.
I prefer to let communities do the move themselves. But if you really need my assistance to make it happen, please ping me back.
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:41, 30 August 2019 (UTC)
I tried moving fa:ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه to fa:ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی and it did not allow me to. It said I do not have the flow-create-board right (which I assume is necessary for the move). I am afraid we need your help with that move. Once the move is done, I can do the rest. Huji (talk) 14:57, 30 August 2019 (UTC)
Huji, this is strange. As an admin, you should be able to do this move.
The page has 18 subpages, and the talk page has one subpage, all shown below:
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۰
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۱
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۲
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۳
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۴
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۵
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۶
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱۷
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۲
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۳
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۴
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۵
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۶
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۷
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۸
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۹
  • ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/سرعنوان
  • بحث ویکی‌پدیا:پرسش‌های متفرقه/بایگانی ۱
Should they be moved too?
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 07:52, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
There is no need to move any of those subpages. And as an admin I can move them; it is only the flow board that is the problem (and thanks for the Phab task) signature redatced
Done Huji. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:16, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
Thanks. Can you also hide the revision in which I wrote the message above? Huji (talk) 12:35, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
Sorry, but I don't have such powers, Huji. You have to ask an administrators or/and an oversighter. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 2 September 2019 (UTC)

The TWUG on space.wmflabs.org[edit]

Hello Trizek

A few months ago, WMF opened a new discussion space. Since our user group has some difficulties to communicate (not everyone sees the messages that are posted on Talk:Wiktionary/Tremendous_Wiktionary_User_Group), I asked for a dedicated forum for the TWUG to be opened. It's happening here (there is no topic so far).

From now on, I invite you to follow the category to be informed as soon as a new topic is created. Pamputt (talk) 18:52, 16 September 2019 (UTC)