Talk:Wikisource Community User Group

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

To do[edit]

  • Write the Focus/goal which is described as this:
Very practical, the focus/goal would be something to describe in one sentence why you are different as a user group from the rest of the movement, while at the same time explaining why you're part of it. :For example, the focus could be 'to support the collection of knowledge around trains and other rail-based forms of public trainsport for use on Wikipedia' (to take something very limited). In your case it would probably be something around supporting Wikisource (editors). It would indeed be those five goals, but then condensed a bit more. The primary purpose of this focus would be the use in a resolution - accurately but shortly describing the group in a way that doesn't spoil by time easily.
Yes check.svg Done--Micru (talk) 15:20, 19 July 2013 (UTC)

AffComm questions[edit]

Hi! I'm Salvador an AffComm member. In attention to your application to become Wikimedia Affilliate as User Group, we would like that you could answer the following questions, please. Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 21:05, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

  • Who are the people behind this application?
  1. Aubrey (it-ws, Wikimedia Italia). See the profile.
  2. Micru (ca-ws, Amical Wikimedia). See the profile.
  • How many? Any active (on local or international level) Wiki[pm]edians? (please provide user names and wiki of origin)
At the moment, 24. Many of them are active at the international level as wikimedians too.
  • Active in which communities if any?
It.source and ca.source are the wiki of origin of the promoters. Moreover, we are starting spreading the word in en, de, se, fr, es, pl, he and others.
  • Could you give a short overview of the time path of the founding up to now?
Micru and Aubrey, as grantees, wrote a midterm report here. The establishing of a Wikisource User Group is of course not just a matter of the grant project, so there have been many activities and events carried out indipendently by chapters and wikimedians. This include (just for example):
  • Glamwiki boot camp: tutorial in editing Wikisource, which was entirely new to all but three people, generated a large amount of interest and led to the partial transcription of The Yellow Wall Paper.
  • Wikimedia Sweden: Use of public books libraries scanners.
  • State Library of Queensland transcriptions
  • Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people?
Not really. We have exchanged several mails, many Wikisource users have been warned of this User Group, and in Wikimania several users met and discussed.
  • What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
We plan to advocate for Wikisource-related projects to chapters and WMF, as in projects like Google Summer of Code. We also plan to boost the coordination of Wikisource communities: for example, we are preparing a survey to discover common policies of different Wikisource, to find a common denominator. We also would like to know what Wikisource users see as a priority in Wikisource development.
  • Do you have an overview of how many Wikimedians would like to join the UG when founded?
Well, we hope 50+ users in the long run.
  • How can we help you?
You can approve our User Group :-D
Let's see :-D
As for the name, we have these proposals:
  • Wikisource User Group (preferred)
  • Group of users of Wikisource
  • Activist editors of Wikisource
we can always ask our users, if any.

--Aubrey (talk) 09:42, 1 September 2013 (UTC)

Hi Salvador! Thanks for reviewing the application, we have tagged us as promoters and linked to our profiles. The wikis of origin of each interested user are now indicated, plus a history of the group. There was a meeting last year at Wikimania 2012, another meeting will happen this year again in Wikimania and some users met at the GLAMwiki boot camp. The activities are more detailed now, and we have specified how many users we would like to join before thinking of incorporation.
I also invited the biggest communities that don't have representative to join (es, ru, de, pl).
We would appreciate if you could take a second look to the WsUG page and guide us through the application process. Thanks!--Micru (talk) 15:20, 19 July 2013 (UTC)
Thanks Micru. But as part of our process, could you please answer here the questions one by one? That is an important topic that remains for the record. Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 21:37, 24 July 2013 (UTC)

New AffCom questions[edit]

Thanks for answer our questions guys, Reading your ideas I have a few questions more:

  1. Currently you are using an individual engagement grant, what about the future when the grant has finished or spent? How you will fund your UG?
  2. I want to know if you are thinking in future. Are you thinking in a kind of organization for your UG like a proposal of Board, structure or membership requirements for WS UG?
  3. Until now Aubrey and Micru are the most active in the UG, what about the rest of supporters? Are they really involved? Are there real-life activities to involve them? Have any plan for a future face-to-face meeting?

Cheer up guys! Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 03:41, 9 September 2013 (UTC)

Aubrey asked me to post my answers here.

  1. The UG does not need funding per se. As explained in the "Transforming words into action" section of the UG page, only some projects will require monetary support. When money is needed, grants can be used.
  2. Not yet. Personally, the UG will be primarily a means for discussion. Wikisource language communities should interact more.
    If organization is needed, I propose the election of three or four leaders. If membership requirements are needed, I propose the following ones. "You can join the UG if you have made 15+ (fifteen or more) edits to Wikisource and your first one dates back to 5+ (five or more) days ago."
  3. You can find me online, though I could not currently take part in any real-life activity or meeting. Discussions are among my favorite activities. I'd sometimes like more radical decisions instead of having legacy around. "Don't be afraid of innovations" could/will be one of the UG's principles.

--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 15:55, 17 September 2013 (UTC)

These are my answers:
  1. Me and Micru are concluding our IEG, but currently no money were spent on the user group, and we don't see the need of funds coming for quite some time. It is possible that in the future, if the Ws UG is succesfull, it will need some funds, but there will be time to plan this and ask to the GAC, for example, for specific projects.
  2. Right now, no. We are thinking of gathering people from different Wikisource communities to boost coordination and join our forces in making Wikisource the great project it deserves. We need software development and together we can propose the WMF or other entities to fund some projects or dedicate some staff time.
  3. Well, this is up to the others :-) --Aubrey (talk) 09:21, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
I can honnestly only answer to the third question. I'm exactly the precise word you used : « supporter ». I'm not leading anything but I support the best I can. Meanwhile, I'm busy with others projects (WLM 2013 right now).
I've done some presentations of Wikisource in France : few times in Bretagne and one time in Paris in 2010 were I meet Aubrey in real-life but sadly we didn't have time to chat…). A face-to-face meeting is always a good idea (next will probably during Wikimania 2014 ; sadly, I haven't been in the previous wikimanias). Cdlt, VIGNERON * discut. 10:18, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
I'm not a big contributor to Wikisource in any language (but I run an open digital library of my own), but have a strong interest in bibliographic metadata, and thus in technological and conceptual developments in Wikisource. I expect that to be the extent of my involvement in WS and/or the UG. Ijon talk 14:58, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
These are my answers:
  1. As a fresh member of the IEG committee, I am just learning about things like the lack of technical resources that can be allocated to any IEG grantee, so I see why the above responses are saying that funding is not (yet) necessary. I would imagine that funding is one of the main reasons to request formal recognition as an affiliate, and I would expect that funding would be going to practical social needs such as meetups for training, but also for technical improvements such as an easy upload method for djvu files or .pdf files, or an easy way to link translated texts in a page-by-page view (so for example, original Don Quixote in Spanish showing page-by-page with English). The other reason to request formal recognition as an affiliate is to have some sort of legitimate contact address for GLAM's or other external parties interested in collaborating with Wikisource. Speaking as a member of WMNL, I know that chapter activities tend to focus mainly on Wikipedia, rather than sister projects like Wikisource.
  2. I really don't see how you could form any kind of formal "structure" yet, when this group of people is so small. I have no problem with keeping Micru and Aubrey as coordinators for this.
  3. I think all of us in real life are just folks who are familiar with Wikisource and believe in it as an important part of the Wikipedia family of projects, but I am not sure how active you would have to be to convince the Affcom committee that one is an "active member". I suppose that even if a meetup is planned, this doesn't mean that all members will attend (see the above comment about Wikimania - I have never attended one either). Meetups that should be funded, in my mind, are meetups between a Wikisorcerer and a GLAM for example, where the expenses for the Wikisorcerer are covered (if the GLAM can't pay). Jane023 (talk) 15:27, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
Here my answers:
  1. Funding will be requested "as we go" or "as needed", there are several channels that can be used to finance specific projects, like wikimedia movement grants, gsoc, glam's, etc.
  2. Just by having a central coordination place, that will be a step forward. The central pages in Wikisource are not serving for that purpose, but by having a group of involved users and a mailing list, it will be easier to reach out to the communities when needed.
  3. There is a WS meeting in Germany on 18-20 Oct, hopefully the German wikisourcers are also interested in getting involved in the WsUG.--Micru (talk) 07:47, 29 September 2013 (UTC)

Name[edit]

Hi guys. I have the answer from the legal team. They are agree with your name but they suggest if is possible insert a desambiguation. Is it OK the name Wikisource Community User Group? If you say yes, something great will happen :D Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 20:27, 20 October 2013 (UTC)

Sounds good, but what's the rationale? To distinguish this group from the, say, Wikisource Non-community User Group? ;-) — Sam Wilson ( TalkContribs ) … 10:15, 21 October 2013 (UTC)
Presumably it will be shortened, in real life use practice, to "Wikisource community group", or just "Wikisource group", anyway. Right? --Nemo 11:36, 21 October 2013 (UTC)
« Wikisource Community User Group » is fine to me. It will probably use in official and semi-offical contexts, in « rela life » it could be shortened to WCUG if needed to avoid to « misuse » the wikisource name. Cdlt, VIGNERON * discut. 13:37, 21 October 2013 (UTC)
The point of the legal team is avoid incorrect assumptions about this UG represents the project itself. Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 06:14, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done I have renamed the page and all the mentions. Is there anything else pending from us? --Micru (talk) 20:14, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
Thanks Micru. Nothing at all. Just wait ;) Salvador (WMMX) (talk) 21:25, 22 October 2013 (UTC)

Clarifications[edit]

Hi! Do the outreach activities include expanding to new Wikisources or the expansion would be a separate goal? The first language I can think of for starting a new Wikisource is Sanskrit because almost every text in Sanskrit has no copyright issues. Also, there are quite a lot of text available for proofreading. Thanks! --Rtdwivedi (talk) 5:28, 20 July 2013 (UTC)

Yes, of course! Sanskrit is listed under the Classical and historical languages category. On the Digital Library of India there are already scanned texts that can be converted into Djvu files and proofread.--Micru (talk) 14:10, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
Hi Rtdwivedi! IMHO we need a "reference wikisource project" collecting best of tecniques, standards, tool from wikisource projects to be shared, and that oldwikisource is the ideal candidate; but that it should be revitalized, and the first thing to do to revitalize it, is to upload books and to work inside it. Can be Sanskrit books be used to revitalize oldwikisource in your opinion? --Alex brollo (talk) 04:47, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

Hem, guys, it seems Sanskrit already has its own Wikisource :D However, I see no existing Wikisource for Hindi, which looks strange given the huge number of Hindi speakers. On wikisource.org there are these and [1] which sum up as some 1300 pages. Aarti, you being from Northern India, I guess you can speak very good Hindi, maybe even as your first language? Would you please check what kind of works are in those categories, and tell us if you think a Hindi Wikisource would be feasible? Candalua (talk) 07:52, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

I speak Hindi, and I did make some contributions on Wikisource. There was already a request for the creation of a Hindi WS subdomain, but there wasn't enough active contributors to do so (IIRC). Regards, Yann (talk) 13:29, 24 November 2013 (UTC)

My scpe: Community support[edit]

I browsed the scopes of this group and I found my one: Community support, where perhaps I can contribute with our it.source editing tools. In past weeks, I successfully esported some of them from it.source into en.source and la.source, and I'm going to export them into oldwikisource, that, IMHO, could be the "testing and sharing central project" for any idea.

My personal goal is to join RIAM and KISS, RIAM being "Repeating Is Alwais a Mistake"; but is't far from simple to join RIAM principle with KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Well, see you into oldwikisource, tell me how/where notify to you what I'm going do do. --Alex brollo (talk) 10:18, 26 July 2013 (UTC)

Oppss... as I uploaded into oldwikisource first modules and templates, I saw a serious alert: "You should not create your page here if it is written on one of those languages.". This is a little bit discouraging; even if My aim is, to upload pages that are written on more than one language. The problem is, that community is presently inactive and it's very difficlutto get feed-backs. What have I to do? In the meantime..... I'll work a little into la.source. --Alex brollo (talk) 11:38, 26 July 2013 (UTC)

Wikisource and schools[edit]

The Wikipedia Education Program is about students who contribute to Wikipedia. We could do something similar and ask students from all over the world to transcribe and validate pages on Wikisource. This will be easier when VisualEditor is launched on Wikisource.--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 15:44, 26 July 2013 (UTC)

About nsPage[edit]

I see, that there are different opinions about the role of nsPage.

  1. someone sees it merely as a "tool" to make possible proofreading, the true goal being an optimal ns0 version,
  2. perhaps someone sees it as a real digitalization of a book, the ns0 version being more relevant (this explains why export tools in PDF and ePub cover ns0 version only)
  3. at least one wikisourian ( I ) sees it as the most relevant and basic form of book digitalization, since it ensures a complete absence of PPOV (personal point of view), ns0 version being merely a derived work.

What's you opinion? And - there's some discussion about TEI: wouldn't be simpler to produce a "TEI version" of books, if we consider nsPage the core of digitalization? --Alex brollo (talk) 18:47, 28 July 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT[edit]

Wikimedia LGBT outreach logo.svg Wikimedia LGBT+
Wikimedia LGBT+ is a proposed thematic organization that seeks to promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT+ communities. Proposed activities include outreach at LGBT events, Wikimania and other Wikimedia events, an international campaign called Wiki Loves Pride, and work on safe space policies, among other collaborations and interwiki projects. Active Wikimedians are welcome to join this cause! Please consider adding your name as a participant/supporter. Current tasks include translating pages, building a strong framework here at Meta, and achieving user group status (with the eventual goal of becoming a thematic organization). Your feedback is welcome on the discussion page.

--Another Believer (talk) 17:55, 1 November 2013 (UTC)

Request for comments on Wikimedia user group logos[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Affiliations Committee is requesting comments on proposed best practices for Wikimedia user group logos. The committee will seek community input until Saturday, May 24, 2014. After considering the community's input, the Affiliations Committee will publish on Meta-Wiki guidelines for Wikimedia user group logos.

There is already a standard format used by chapters, and that format is being applied to thematic organizations as well. Chapters and thematic organizations have also worked with Wikimedia Foundation legal in the past on custom logos. Wikimedia user groups may also create custom logos, and the new trademark policy allows for logos to be based off the community or Wikimedia Foundation logos. However, there remains a question of the best practice for standard user group logos.

Please make any comments or ask any questions on Meta-Wiki at Affiliations Committee/RFCs/Wikimedia user group logos.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery on 23:08, 14 May 2014 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Automated import of openly licensed scholarly articles[edit]

A discussion on that topic is currently taking place on the Scriptorium of the English Wikisource. Comments most welcome. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 20:46, 15 June 2014 (UTC)

Affiliations Committee call for candidates - September 2014[edit]

The Affiliations Committee is looking for new members. The committee's work requires communication with volunteers all over the World, negotiating skills and cultural sensitivity and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members.

Members are usually selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. The applications will be voted on by the current members not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisers, WMF staff and board liaisons based on the membership criteria. A final decision will be made by the end of October 2014, with new members expected to join on or around 1 November 2014.

Please read the full call for candidates for more information, membership criteria, and details on how to apply.

Best regards,
Carlos Colina
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 07:46, 5 September 2014 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Nominations are being accepted for 2015 Wikimedia Foundation elections[edit]

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections. This year the Board and the FDC Staff are looking for a diverse set of candidates from regions and projects that are traditionally under-represented on the board and in the movement as well as candidates with experience in technology, product or finance. To this end they have published letters describing what they think is needed and, recognizing that those who know the community the best are the community themselves, the election committee is accepting nominations for community members you think should run and will reach out to those nominated to provide them with information about the job and the election process.

This year, elections are being held for the following roles:

Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long term sustainability of the Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. There are three positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the board elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) Ombud
The FDC Ombud receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC Ombudsperson elections page.

The candidacy submission phase lasts from 00:00 UTC April 20 to 23:59 UTC May 5 for the Board and from 00:00 UTCApril 20 to 23:59 UTC April 30 for the FDC and FDC Ombudsperson. This year, we are accepting both self-nominations and nominations of others. More information on this election and the nomination process can be found on the 2015 Wikimedia elections page on Meta-Wiki.

Please feel free to post a note about the election on your project's village pump. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the talk page on Meta, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections -at- wikimedia.org

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 04:56, 21 April 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Requests for comments on Wikimedia user groups approval process and agreements[edit]

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is requesting comments on the approval process and agreements for Wikimedia user groups.

Wikimedia user groups are groups of Wikimedia users who support and promote the Wikimedia projects in the offline world by organizing meetups and other projects. The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee's responsibilities include approval of new Wikimedia user groups.

The committee will seek community input until Friday, May 1, 2015. The committee will then review the community's input, and publish the new process and agreements on Meta-Wiki. The committee will again seek community input approximately six months after any changes are adopted to gauge effectiveness and if any additional changes are necessary.

Please see the RFC page on Meta-Wiki for more information and to provide feedback.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 04:26, 24 April 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson will continue during the voting. Nominations for the Board of Trustees will be accepted until 23:59 UTC May 5.

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions on the committee being filled.

The FDC Ombudsperson receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 3 to 23:59 UTC May 10. Click here to vote. Questions and discussion with the candidates will continue during that time. Click here to ask the FDC candidates a question. Click here to ask the FDC Ombudsperson candidates a question. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 FDC election page, the 2015 FDC Ombudsperson election page, and the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 03:40, 4 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation logo - vertical (2012-2016).svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Board will continue during the voting.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is the ultimate governing authority of the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the United States. The Wikimedia Foundation manages many diverse projects such as Wikipedia and Commons.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 17 to 23:59 UTC May 31. Click here to vote. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 17:20, 17 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Wikipedia's 15th birthday - get involved![edit]

Apologies for cross-posting the below! Read in more languages here

The 15th birthday of Wikipedia, and the Wikimedia movement, is coming soon! We’re eager to make plans to celebrate on January 15, 2016.

As a way to kickstart planning around the 15th, there is a page on Meta for Wikipedia 15. Eventually, we plan for the page to have resources including:

  1. Resources to plan events and meetups locally to celebrate the 15th.
  2. More information on sharing birthday photos, videos, stories, Wikipedia content, and other media.
  3. Tips for pitching to local media to cover your event.

Many of the sections on the meta page are blank for now, but we’ll be working with you to add more information to the page over the next few months leading up to the birthday celebration in January. Please feel free to add, edit, and discuss what you’d like to see for Wikipedia’s 15th birthday!

We look forward to celebrating with you!

-for the Wikimedia Foundation Communications team, JSutherland (WMF) (talk) 01:31, 1 October 2015 (UTC)

Introducing the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list[edit]

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is pleased to introduce the launch of the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list, which is basically a place for all the affiliates (chapters, thematic organizations, user groups) to discuss issues related to affiliates, make announcements to other affiliates, and collaborate on activities and community-wide events. The idea is to help facilitate the dialogue affiliates across our movement, plus collaborative discussions like community-wide activities, joint edit-a-thons, regional conferences, blog/report posts, or other communications from affiliates.

Each Wikimedia movement affiliate is allocated three spots on the mailing list. All affiliates may contact the Affiliations Committee to request additional spots if needed.

Please find a bit more information on Meta-Wiki and do not hesitate to contact the Affiliations Committee if you have further questions.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 07:51, 27 October 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Wikipedia 15 has a mark![edit]

Wikipedia15 Animated Mark - English.gif

Read this message in other languages

Wikipedia 15 now has a mark! Be sure to check out the “Material” section of the Wikipedia 15 meta page to see the design, and learn about how to use it. This year's mark is meant to be fun, interactive, and infinitely customisable. We can’t wait to see how you and your Wikimedia community use it!

–For the WMF Communications team, Sam Lien and Joe Sutherland 02:57, 4 November 2015 (UTC)

Your input requested on the proposed #FreeBassel banner campaign[edit]

This is a message regarding the proposed 2015 Free Bassel banner. Translations are available.

Hi everyone,

This is to inform all Wikimedia contributors that a straw poll seeking your involvement has just been started on Meta-Wiki.

As some of your might be aware, a small group of Wikimedia volunteers have proposed a banner campaign informing Wikipedia readers about the urgent situation of our fellow Wikipedian, open source software developer and Creative Commons activist, Bassel Khartabil. An exemplary banner and an explanatory page have now been prepared, and translated into about half a dozen languages by volunteer translators.

We are seeking your involvement to decide if the global Wikimedia community approves starting a banner campaign asking Wikipedia readers to call on the Syrian government to release Bassel from prison. We understand that a campaign like this would be unprecedented in Wikipedia's history, which is why we're seeking the widest possible consensus among the community.

Given Bassel's urgent situation and the resulting tight schedule, we ask everyone to get involved with the poll and the discussion to the widest possible extent, and to promote it among your communities as soon as possible.

(Apologies for writing in English; please kindly translate this message into your own language.)

Thank you for your participation!

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 21:46, 25 November 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

2015 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members. The key skills and experience that we look for in candidates are:

  • Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers worldwide.
  • Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
  • Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions.
  • Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly ~2 hour voice/video meeting.
  • International orientation.
  • Very good communication skills in English.
  • Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
  • Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF.
  • Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organising are a plus.
  • Effective communication skills in other languages are a major plus.
  • Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
  • Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are not afraid of the workload and are motivated by helping other volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2015 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta (at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/2015), and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, WMF staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2016, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please send an application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2015. You will get a confirmation that your application was received.

Your application should include the following:

  • Your full name
  • Your contact information (including e-mail address and username)
  • A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.

Your statement will be published for community review and feedback, so please do not include any information that you are not comfortable sharing.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Carlos Colina
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 16:53, 9 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Get involved in Wikipedia 15![edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

International-Space-Station wordmark blue.svg

As many of you know, January 15 is Wikipedia’s 15th Birthday!

People around the world are getting involved in the celebration and have started adding their events on Meta Page. While we are celebrating Wikipedia's birthday, we hope that all projects and affiliates will be able to utilize this celebration to raise awareness of our community's efforts.

Haven’t started planning? Don’t worry, there’s lots of ways to get involved. Here are some ideas:

Everything is linked on the Wikipedia 15 Meta page. You’ll find a set of ten data visualization works that you can show at your events, and a list of all the Wikipedia 15 logos that community members have already designed.

If you have any questions, please contact Zachary McCune or Joe Sutherland.

Thanks and Happy nearly Wikipedia 15!
-The Wikimedia Foundation Communications team

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery, 20:53, 18 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageHelp

Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2016/Needs[edit]

Hello there! We are going to have the fifth annual Wikimedia CEE Meeting in Armenia. In order to prepare the programme, we need your input about some questions and needs you (as an affiliate or community) have. You can also share something working (or not) for you. Could you please add the info to the page? Thank you! --Lord Bumbury (talk) 13:03, 24 April 2016 (UTC)

P.S. I shall send this request via email as well --Lord Bumbury (talk) 13:03, 24 April 2016 (UTC)

De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization, or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission. While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia movement.

In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name, that had been granted under those agreements.

If you have questions about what this means for community members in the affected affiliates’ region or language areas, we have put together a basic FAQ. The FAQ talk page is available for additional questions and comments, and the Affiliations Committee is happy to answer questions directly.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 15:55, 13 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.

This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.

The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 20:27, 15 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:42, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[edit]

05:00, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

Wikimedia-logo black.svg

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.

The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.

The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).

We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.

Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.

The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.

The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.

  • April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
  • April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
  • April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
  • May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
  • May 15–19 – Board vote checking
  • May 20 – Board result announcement goal

In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:

  • Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
    • There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
  • Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
    • One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.

Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.

More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections(at)wikimedia.org.

On behalf of the Election Committee,
Katie Chan, Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee
Joe Sutherland, Community Advocate, Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:35, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

19:02, 3 May 2017 (UTC)

NsPage viewer[edit]

Just to let you known that it.source is working about a nsPage viewer, inspired by Internet Archive viewer but with a deep difference: it shows html of page content. So far it is only a draft, but result is encouraging; I'll like that @Aubrey:, as a user of it, will report his opinion about. --Alex brollo (talk) 14:17, 11 May 2017 (UTC)

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)[edit]

19:25, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections[edit]

21:03, 23 May 2017 (UTC)

Notification of User Group Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting[edit]

Greetings, This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia User Groups are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta, and linked on the meta Reports page. This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2015-2016 annual reporting became past due. Please be sure to

  1. Post your 2015-2016 annual reporting to the meta Reports page as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  2. Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  3. Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Best regards, --EGalvez (WMF) (talk) 17:21, 31 July 2017 (UTC)

I've started Wikisource Community User Group/2016 Report. Sam Wilson 22:48, 31 July 2017 (UTC)

Beta feature: advanced filters and more options for Watchlists, starting September 5[edit]

Rc-beta-tour-welcome-ltr.gif

Hello!

I'm posting this message to your Community Group because I think I'll have more impact this way: I'm sure you can spread the word to your community better than me! ;)

As you may already know, the Global Collaboration team has created a Beta feature. This feature is on your wiki since few months: "⧼eri-rcfilters-beta-label⧽". You can activate it in your Beta preferences.

What is this feature again?

This feature improves Special:RecentChanges and Special:RecentChangesLinked. It adds new features that ease vandalism tracking and support of newcomers:

  • Filtering - filter recent changes with easy-to-use and powerful filters combinations, including filtering by namespace or tagged edits.
  • Highlighting - add a colored background to the different changes you are monitoring. It helps quick identification of changes that matter to you.
  • Bookmarking to keep your favorite configurations of filters ready to be used.
  • Quality and Intent Filters - those filters use ORES predictions. They identify real vandalism or good faith intent contributions that need help.

You can know more about this project by visiting the quick tour help page.

What's new?

On September 5, the Beta feature will have a new option. Watchlists will have all new features available on Recent Changes Beta now.

If you have already activated the Beta feature "⧼eri-rcfilters-beta-label⧽", you have no action to take. If you haven't activated the Beta feature "⧼eri-rcfilters-beta-label⧽" and you want to try the filters on Watchlists, please go to your Beta preferences on September 6. It will not be possible to try the filters only on Recent Changes or only on Watchlist.

Please also note that later in September, some changes will happen on Recent Changes. We will release some features at the moment available in Beta as default features. This will impact all users, but we will provide an option to opt-out. I'll recontact you with a more precise schedule and all the details very soon.

You can ping me if you have questions. And I hope this process works for you!

All the best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 15:33, 24 August 2017 (UTC)

Looking for new friends...[edit]

(Alright, sorry for the clickbait-ish title.) My name is Erica and I work with the Technical Collaboration team at WMF.

I sure hope you know everything about us, and in particular about how we want to work more and better with groups such as the tech ambassadors and the tech translators. We have added Wikisource (well, your group!) among the communities for which we hope to identify a few contacts soon to start working with them even closer.

So please go add yourselves at Tech/Ambassadors/List (or tell others to)! We hope this will lead to a happier and more serene way of working together in the technical field. Thank you, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 15:23, 4 September 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 14 / October 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:50, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Become a Tech Ambassador today[edit]

Hello. Please help translate to your language. Thank you!

Do you have a passion for technology? Do you enjoy supporting this community in things like figuring out software changes and communicating with the developers, or maybe you would consider doing it, but you don't know where to start?

The Community Liaisons team at the Wikimedia Foundation is looking for active tech ambassadors in this community. We would like to help make this volunteer role an attractive and low-barrier contribution path in our movement. You can add your name to the table on Meta, or you can let me know about someone else who should really, really be in that list.

Please, do not assume that you are not "fit", that you lack the skills, or the experience etc. If you have doubts, questions, etc., let's chat. Thank you for your attention! --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 17:25, 29 November 2017 (UTC)

Notification of Past Due Reporting[edit]

Greetings, This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. User Groups are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to renew their status as a Wikimedia User Group. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta, and linked on the meta Reports page.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2017 annual reporting became past due in July. Please be sure to

  1. Post your 2017 annual reporting (Which looks to have been started) to the meta Reports page as soon as possible to return to compliance with your Usergroup agreement.
  2. Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  3. Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Kindest regards -- DNdubane (WMF) (talk) 18:46, 29 November 2017 (UTC)

How/where to share some ideas[edit]

@Aubrey and Samwilson: Inspired by recent cooperation between it.source and some librarian groups and by IA Upload development (and issues...), I developed some ideas (a couple of them with draft running scripts) about book uploading into wikisource, I'd like to share them. Is this a good place to discuss them? Have I to open a personal subpage of User:Alex brollo, and to post ideas and script there, simply linking here that page? --Alex brollo (talk) 13:38, 27 December 2017 (UTC)

@Alex brollo: Yeah, I reckon here is a good place. Does this tie in with 2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Wikisource/Improve workflow for uploading books to Wikisource do you think? We could talk about things as subtickets of e.g. phab:T154413. I'm really keen to get some more work done on all this! :) I'm trying to keep up to date with what you're working on (will have more chance now xmas is all over with). Sam Wilson 07:02, 2 January 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: January 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 15 / January 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey[edit]

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveys@wikimedia · org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.

Thank you for your time supporting this project!
María Cruz


MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:42, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Improvements coming soon on Watchlists[edit]

Rc-beta-tour-welcome-ltr.gif

Hello

Sorry to use English. Please help translate to your language! Thank you.

In short: starting on June 18, New Filters for Edit Review (now in Beta) will become standard on Watchlists. They provide an array of new tools and an improved interface. If you prefer the current page you will be able to opt out. Learn more about the New Filters.

What is this feature again?

This feature is used by default on Special:RecentChanges, Special:RecentChangesLinked and as a Beta feature on Special:Watchlist.

Based on a new design, that feature adds new functions to those pages, to ease vandalism tracking and support of newcomers:

  • Filtering - filter recent changes with easy-to-use and powerful filters combinations, including filtering by namespace or tagged edits.
  • Highlighting - add a colored background to the different changes you are monitoring. It helps quick identification of changes that matter to you.
  • Bookmarking to keep your favorite configurations of filters ready to be used.
  • Quality and Intent Filters - those filters use ORES predictions. They identify real vandalism or good faith intent contributions that need help. They are not available on all wikis.

You can know more about this project by visiting the quick tour help page.

About the release on Watchlists

Over 70,000 people have activated the New Filters beta, which has been in testing on Watchlist for more than eight months. We feel confident that the features are stable and effective, but if you have thoughts about these tools or the beta graduation, please let us know on the project talk page. In particular, tell us if you know of a special incompatibility or other issue that makes the New Filters problematic on your wiki. We’ll examine the blocker and may delay release on your wiki until the issue can be addressed.

The deployment will start on June 18 or on June 25, depending on the wiki (check the list). After the deployment, you will also be able to opt-out this change directly from the Watchlist page and also in your preferences.

How to be ready?

Please share this announcement!

If you use local Gadgets that change things on your Watchlist pages, or have a customized scripts or CSS, be ready. You may have to make some changes to your configuration. Despite the fact that we have tried to take most cases into consideration, some configurations may break. The Beta phase is a great opportunity to have a look at local scripts and gadgets: some of them may be replaced by native features from the Beta feature.

Please share your questions and comments on the feedback page.

On behalf of the Collaboration team, Trizek (WMF) 13:15, 7 June 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: June 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 16 / June 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Contest tool[edit]

Since the Barcelona hackathon a month ago, I've been tinkering with a web-based version of the wscontest tool, and it's sort of getting close to needing some testing: https://tools.wmflabs.org/wscontest/ At the moment, it's pretty basic and lacking in some essential features (such as correct access control). I'm starting a list of what's left, at phabricator:tag/tool-wscontest; please add anything you think of. —Sam Wilson 09:21, 20 June 2018 (UTC)

It looks quite good! Please share it also on the mailing list, because I am not sure if many people are watching this page.--Micru (talk) 21:21, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
Good point! Done. Sam Wilson 00:14, 22 June 2018 (UTC)

Join us on The AfroCine Project[edit]

Africa (orthographic projection).svg
Video-x-generic.svg

Greetings!

This is to introduce you to a new Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project. This new project is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, events, etc, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora. If you would love to be part of this (or you're already active in this area), by coordinating local programmes around African cinema (independently or otherwise) in your community or local Wikipedia, kindly list your username or organization as a participant on the meta project page here.

Furthermore, In the months of October and November, we are organizing a global contest and edit-a-thon tagged: The Months of African Cinema. If you would love to join this exciting event, also list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia page. If you would love to lead this contest (or any other relevant program) for a non-English Wikipedia community, please feel free to translate the English Wikiproject page to your local language Wikipedia, or you can create one from scratch!

If you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, etc., please reach out to me personally on my talkpage or the project talkpage! Cheers!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 20:50, 5 September 2018 (UTC)

Welcome to the Months of African Cinema![edit]

Africa (orthographic projection).svg
Video-x-generic.svg

Greetings!

The AfroCine Project welcomes you to October, the first out of the two months which has been dedicated to improving contents that centre around the cinema of Africa, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.

This is a global online edit-a-thon, which is happening in at least 5 language editions of Wikipedia (en, he, es, it, bn) and Wikidata. Join us in this exciting venture, by helping to create or expand articles which are connected to this scope.

On English Wikipedia, we would be recognizing Users who are able to achieve the following:

  • Overall winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd places)
  • Country Winners
  • Diversity winner
  • High quality contributors
  • Gender-gap fillers
  • Page improvers
  • Wikidata Translators

For further information about the contest, the recognition categories and how to participate, please visit the contest page here.

If you'd love to organize this contest for your local wiki or organize in-person events centred around this project, or you need further information about the AfroCine Project, please leave a message on the project talkpage. See you around :).--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:50, 03 October 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: November 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:10, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:

- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:

- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:

  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 06:25, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

New Affiliations Committee appointments[edit]

AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.

This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.

To read the Board's announcement, please click here

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:45, 21 February 2019 (UTC)

Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants[edit]

Hello!

Our team at the Wikimedia Foundation is working on a project to improve the ease-of-use and productivity of wiki talk pages. As an affiliate, I can imagine you’ve run into challenges explaining talk pages to first-time participants, or it is an consultation that would interest your members.

We want all contributors to be able to talk to each other on the wikis – to ask questions, to resolve differences, to organize projects and to make decisions. Communication is essential for the depth and quality of our content, and the health of our communities.

We're currently leading a global consultation on how to improve talk pages, and we're looking for groups that can discuss and report on their experiences using (or helping other people to use) wiki talk pages. We'd like to invite you to participate, with the user groups that you belong to. You can learn more about the consultation at Mediawiki.org and if you're interested in hosting a group discussion (on-wiki or off-wiki), you can sign up at the participant sign-up group.

If you’d like to participate or if you have any questions, please contact us and let us know. The more people participate from many horizons, the better the outcome will be.

Thank you! Trizek (WMF) 15:29, 8 March 2019 (UTC)

Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started![edit]

User (13635) - The Noun Project.svg

Hi everyone, hope all is fine with you!

The next weeks will be intense, as affiliates figure out their participation in the process that will soon select 2 people for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Since new Bylaws established that the user groups are for the first time going to be involved in such process, a lot more support than before is certainly going to be necessary, among other things, for big and healthy conversations on the topic. Hence, please encourage members of your group to become a complementary facilitator, or sign up yourself! You can add yourself to the list on Meta or reply to me to flag availability. One person from the facilitators group should soon be selected to liaise with the Foundation Board’s Chair, María Sefidari, on behalf of all affiliates, and it may be wise to also find a deputy for them.

Finally, if you can think of any huge obstacles that would prevent your group from participating to the process (for instance, a language barrier, or lack of good decision-making mechanisms, etc.), please reach out to me directly: it is really important that we hear about them as early as possible. Thank you! Elitre (WMF) 15:23, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

Mirandese[edit]

Hello!! Someone know "how ready" the Mirandese Wikisource are? I couldn't find any "Request for new language" page for this project. Thanks, Erick Soares3 (talk) 13:05, 1 April 2019 (UTC)

Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process[edit]

Hi all,

The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.

We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.

On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.

The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.

The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.

Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.

On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 10:52, 6 April 2019 (UTC)

Wikisource:News (en): April 2019 edition[edit]

Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019[edit]

ASBS 2019.pdf

Hello everyone!

  • The Resolution has been approved by the Board of Trustees;
  • Nominations phase is now open, from April 15 00:00 UTC to April 30 23:59 UTC. See the Call for Candidates and Nominations pages;
    • Community members may ask questions of the candidates;
  • Your main representative has just received an email to confirm that they are indeed the primary contact and will perform official actions on behalf of your group (such as endorsing candidates and then voting). Some groups also need to verify their eligibility status in due time, as explained in the email;
  • New content is available to spread awareness around the process - the infographic on this page has clickable links and can be translated, and a primer is available, that we hope will be particularly helpful to those new to such a process;
  • Finally, you are welcome to help with translations! Pick one page from the ASBS category and, in the next couple of weeks, please consider translating profiles of the candidates in particular.

Thanks for your attention! The Facilitators for ASBS 2019, 07:33, 15 April 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative[edit]

Nuvola apps important.png

Hello. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.

Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 12:15, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Wikisource:News (en): May 2019 Edition[edit]

MJLTalk 19:49, 2 May 2019 (UTC)

Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations[edit]

Hi Wikisource Community User Group,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department [1]at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.

We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.

As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.

Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:53, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

References

Wikisource:News (en): July 2019 Edition[edit]