User talk:Daniel Mietchen
-- 20:13, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
Hi Daniel! Just wanted to say hi and inform you that I've included your name at the MuseumNext meta page. Looking forward to meet you in Barcelona. If you need help in anything in order to prepare your trip, please let me know, OK? :)--Kippelboy (talk) 04:49, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
Request for Interaction
Would appreciate an opportunity for a skype. Am an academician in the sciences at a major US university, in the throes of deciding whether to leave wikipedia writing. If you are not the best person with whom to interact, perhaps an alternative can be suggested after we speak. See Meduban at English wikipedia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Meduban
Prof D 18.104.22.168 16:24, 22 July 2012 (UTC)
Hi Daniel. Can I point you to m:Talk:WikiProject Med#Chapters Meeting 2013? Two places at this year's conference have been offered to WikiProject Med board members. Ocaasi has applied for a scholarship. Registration closes on 10 March, and I think the board should discuss attendance, and decide who should represent us before then. Could you please add your thoughts to the above-linked discussion. --Anthonyhcole (talk) 16:42, 1 March 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the note, Anthony. I replied there. -- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 19:03, 1 March 2013 (UTC)
The Stethoscope: A Wiki Project Med Foundation Review (Issue 1)
Wiki Project Med Foundation (WPMEDF) was formally incorporated in New York as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our mission is bold like Wikipedia's: Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to the sum of all medical knowledge." That's what we're doing.
In this newsletter:
- Designing our logos and name: How and why we made them
- Creating Our Board: Who's involved and what they're doing
- Adding 70+ Interested members: Participants from all over the globe
- Furthering ongoing projects: Expanding exciting in many directions at once
- Proposing Wikimania presentations: Sign up for the talks that interest you
- Taking on on social media: Up and running with outreach (plus business cards!)
- Charting pathways for how you can help right now: a great list easy and important areas to contribute
We aim to run The Stethoscope at least once per quarter and no more than once per month. We only send to people who already signed on as WikiProject Med or Wiki Project Medicine Foundation interested members/participants. If you do not want to receive the newsletter, please add your name here.
It's been a pleasure so far, and we have so much more to do. Wishing you happy Spring up North and pleasant Autumn down South.
Please fill out our brief Participation Support Program survey
Hello, the Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback on the Participation Support Program! We have created a brief survey to help us better understand your experience participating in the program and how we can improve for the future. You are being selected to participate in our survey because you submitted or commented on Participation Support requests in the past.
Click here to be taken to the survey site.
The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. We really appreciate your feedback! And we hope to see you in the Participation Support Program again soon.
This message was sent via Global message delivery on 21:37, 18 September 2013 (UTC)
- Hadn't filled that in because I didn't have experience with the program back then. Next time, I will. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 07:52, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
Reusing the project's materials in Germany and Austria
dear Daniel. we plan to have the documentation ready by April and it would be great to present it also within your project. I think it is possible to have everything ready on time, and I think I can speak on behalf of everybody involved by saying thank you for the great invitation. I include it into out plan to make sure it is properly acknowledged and please let me know if you need specific formats or if you have any particular requirements (the video is expected to be in French - actually we are planning a series of 3 short videos but the proper plan will be ready at the end of December; I think we can make subtitles in English or other languages - maybe we can ask also the support of the community; I think we can also have a text ready to contextualize it - same issue for the translation). thanks again! great to cross with your work. un abbraccio --iopensa (talk) 08:35, 18 December 2013 (UTC)
- OK, thanks. We'll thus plan our exhibit without your video, but try to remain flexible enough to get it in at the last moment. Please keep me posted. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 07:54, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
|Thanks for contributing to discussions on so many IEG proposals this round, Daniel! We appreciated having your thoughts :) Hope you'll continue to participate in the future! Siko (WMF) (talk) 01:09, 21 December 2013 (UTC)|
- Thanks, Siko. I like this scheme very much and keep pointing it out to scholarly funders as an example for how project funding could be organized in the open. I will thus continue to check in, and when I see something to comment on, it's just a matter of time whether and when I'll do it. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 07:58, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics
Video Wikipedia - what is about produced in Douala
dear Daniel, the idea of presenting the video produced in Douala in the ship exhibition is great and we would be really delighted to provide you the video. On the other hand, I'm worried that the video will probably not be ready on time. The production seems to be moving to be finalized by the end of April because there is still some discussion on which is the best proposal to select and produce. i don't think it is a good idea to put too much pressure on the team right now; i think it is really valuable that the concept is selected and discussed properly and with enough time. I am really sorry to be unable to guarantee the delivery on time. please consider that we really liked your invitation and we really think it is a great project. please let me know if in the future there might be other chances to contribute to presentations and we certainly inform you about the production as soon it is ready. my very warm regards, --iopensa (talk) 10:06, 15 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for the note, and good luck with finalizing the video! -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:19, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
Barnstar and a request for feedback
|Thank you for commenting on Individual Engagement Grant proposals during this recent round! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts.
To help us improve the IEG program for future participants, would you mind taking this quick 3-question survey?
Thanks again for your help,
Videos für Wikipedia-Artikel: Workshops und Wettbewerb
über deinen tollen "Open Access Media Importer" bin ich auf dich gestoßen. Ich möchte dich auf das Projekt „Videos für Wikipedia-Artikel“ aufmerksam machen. Wir veranstalten einen Video-Wettbewerb, anlässlich des Wissenschaftsjahres 2014 zum Thema „Digitale Gesellschaft“. Für diejenigen, die Interesse haben, aber sich mit Videoproduktion noch nicht auskennen bzw. wenn sie Video-Kenntnisse haben, diese teilen möchten, veranstalten wir Workshops. Nicht zuletzt wollen wir mit dem Projekt auch eine Diskussion darüber anstoßen, wie Videos für Wikipedia-Artikel aussehen sollen, welche Bildsprache der Wikipedia angemessen ist. Vielleicht hast du ja Lust, auch einmal ein Video zu produzieren oder dich an der Diskussion zu beteiligen?! Wir freuen uns über rege Beteiligung und Input an Ideen.
Viele Grüße, ----ALi (VWA) (talk) 08:28, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- Danke fuer die Erinnerung an dieses schoene Projekt. Interessiert bin ich auf jeden Fall, mehr lernen ueber Video-Produktionen wuerd ich auch gern, und Ideen dazu hab ich. Eine Teilnahme an den Workshops ist aber zeitlich schwierig. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 13:00, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- Hallo Daniel, entschuldige die lange Reaktionszeit! Schön, dass Dir unser Projekt gefällt! Was sind denn das für Ideen? Es würde uns jedenfalls freuen, wenn Du Zeit findest - beim Wettbewerb kann man aber natürlich auch mitmachen, ohne zu den Workshops zu kommen. Schöne Grüße, --ALi (VWA) (talk) 17:26, 16 July 2014 (UTC)
Ebola translation task force (draft)
Hi! I started an Ebola translation task force (draft) to hopefully quickly get some Ebola related translations in local African languages. I'd love to see your input (and edits) Guaka (talk) 12:10, 27 October 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for the note. I do not see how I can help at the moment, but I will keep it in mind. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 01:30, 28 October 2014 (UTC)
Sunday 17 May 2015 User groups meet up at WMCON
Hi! Today Sunday 17 May 2015 there will be a User Groups meet-up at 14h at room E. If you are interested, please join, the main topics to be discussed is the relationship between WMF and user groups, and diaspora user groups as described on Wikimedia diaspora organisations. If you are interested, please join! Thanks. --Micru (talk) 08:31, 17 May 2015 (UTC)
I think it should be noted that any revenue from photographs of 3D works is negligible compared to the fee the artist receive for the work itself. I think the mentioned 3-6 million Euro loss mentioned for all of France seems like a minute amount compared to how much money revolves around the industry.
It should perhaps also be noted that these artist societies tend to charge the general public indirectly through w:Private copying levy etc as well as registration etc. fees to the artists/architects. After everyone gets their cut, the actual people who do the work do not receive much of it probably.
- I basically share your view here but don't know what you want me to do about it. FOP is not an area I know very well — I read that page to learn a bit more and just made a few edits to it in the process. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:01, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
Hi Daniel. I have submitted two proposals namely Wikipedia Takes Rinconada and Run for Free Knowledge. For your comments and endorsement. Thank you very much. --Filipinayzd (talk) 03:31, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?
Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.
After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!
In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:
- Respond to questions on the discussion page of the idea.
- Join a small group conversation.
- Learn more about this consultation.
This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.
Last call for WMF grants feedback!
Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.
Hello User:Daniel Mietchen we appreciate your endorsement for our project.I however want to know what your thoughts are with respect to our budget.We will appreciate your input very much since we want to get community engagement .RegardsRberchie (talk) 08:56, 14 September 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Rberchie, I just don't know enough about the circumstances in Ghana in general and around the proposed project in particular to judge the appropriateness of the budget. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 23:11, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
FYI, the AUTH Library on the occasion of Open Access Week 2015 organized a mini conference with the title "Open Access in practice". I was invited to talk about Open Access and Wikipedia, where I mentioned Open Access Media Importer and the plans and possibilities for Wikisource and Wikidata. One of the professors expressed his enthusiasm, while he couldn't believe that it was technically possible. :-) --Geraki TL 15:10, 23 October 2015 (UTC)
- Nice to hear, Geraki — can you put me in touch with them? Thanks! -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 07:22, 26 October 2015 (UTC)
What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?
I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!
Here’s how to participate:
- Learn more about this consultation
- Vote on and submit new campaign topics in the AllOurIdeas Survey
- Discuss campaign topics and ask questions on the IdeaLab talk page
Future IdeaLab Campaigns results
Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.
With great thanks,
Inspire Campaign on content curation & review
I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.
All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)
Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants
Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.
- Submit a grant request or draft your proposal in IdeaLab
- Get help with your proposal in an upcoming Hangout session
- Learn from examples of completed Individual Engagement Grants
Thanks for commenting on my IEG proposal
Hey Daniel, thanks for commenting on my IEG proposal. It was all very helpful. I've addressed some of your initial comments as best I can right now, and I will continue to work on them. I realize I'm not the first person to think about article revision histories as trees; I've still got a lot to learn about what people have discovered so far. Thank you for drawing my attention to some of the more glaring issues with my proposal. -- Evoapps (talk) 18:56, 11 April 2016 (UTC)
Hi Daniel, Just wanted to say I'm happy to see there will be someone from Wiki Project Med at this event. It has huge potential to improve article quality and facilitate their translation. I wish I could have made it there myself, but likely would not have been all that useful anyhow. If I might suggest a line of discussion, it would seem to be valuable to be able to somehow link to or harvest PubMed's <article type> and <vernacular title> fields. The former would support better identification of secondary sources, while the latter is very helpful when searching for the fulltext original in other catalogues. LeadSongDog (talk) 20:21, 9 May 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks! I think both would fit into Wikidata, from where they could be used the way you indicated. Yes, having the original title (as well as journal title, author names etc.) would be useful. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 17:17, 12 May 2016 (UTC)
Wikipedia OAbot at WikiCite
- Thanks. I've put in a proposal myself, so don't know yet how things will play out. But certainly happy to discuss what we could do together. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 00:30, 21 May 2016 (UTC)
Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.
Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,
Visual editor tool to add open license text to Wikipedia
Would you mind having a look at something I'm working on and letting me know what you think?
2016 Community Wishlist Survey
You’re getting this message because you participated in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey and we want to make sure you don't miss it this year – or at least can make the conscious choice to ignore if it you want to. The 2015 survey decided what the Community Tech team should work on during 2016. It was also the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and work by other developers. You can see the status of wishes from the 2015 wishlist at 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results.
The 2016 Community Wishlist Survey is now open for wishes. You can create proposals until November 20. You will be able to vote on which wishes you think are best or most important between November 28 and December 12. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:17, 14 November 2016 (UTC)
Wikipedia Library User Group is being renamed!
Hello! In the past few months, the Wikipedia Library User Group has been undergoing some major planning and developments. We just finished our very first open call with the user group members, which was a great success (see the meeting minutes). If you joined us during the meeting, we’d like to thank you for your interest. If not, not to worry, we have lots of things planned for the user group in which you can participate.
This message is to inform you that based on the input received from the user group members and the founding members, it was agreed that the Wikipedia Library User Group’s name be reconsidered by a voting process. As a valued member of the user group, we’d like to invite you to vote on the list of potential names. You can vote by following this link. The poll will run for a timeframe of two weeks. Sent by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:59, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
Questions about job posting, "Wikimedian in Residence position at University of Virginia"
I have forwarded the notice around and someone asked me when you expect to close the listing. Do you expect to stop accepting additional applications before the end of November? Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:04, 22 November 2017 (UTC)
- The listing will be closed once the position is filled. This is not the case yet, but review of applications has started. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 04:14, 22 November 2017 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Nomination Phase
Hello again Daniel Mietchen! As stated in our previous message, nominations for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group steering committee elections are now open and will remain open until the 9th. If you are interested and have read the instructions, please nominate yourself on the election page. Please forward your queries to librarieslists.wikimedia.org, and for private correspondence, please get in touch with one of the founding members. And finally, wishing you a prosperous and happy new year on behalf of the user group founding members! On behalf of the user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:00, 3 January 2018 (UTC)
Updates on the user group election and #1Lib1Ref
Hi everyone, two quick but important updates:
Timeline for nominations and voting
- Nominations are extended until 12 January 2018.
- Candidates will be lightly vetted by the Founding Members (excluding those who are candidates) to help form a well-functioning committee.
- Vetting will happen from the 13th up to 21 January 2018.
- Voting will begin on the 22nd of January and end on the 4th of February.
- To be able to vote, editors must have joined the usergroup before the 21st of January.
- Results will be announced on or before the 10th of February.
How you can support #1lib1ref
- Participate! Get started at m:1Lib1Ref and add a citation with CitationHunt.org
- Share the campaign on social media using the #1lib1ref hashtag
- Tell your local librarians and library-loving friends about the campaign
- Watch and share this fun explainer video
- Join the Facebook event page for updates
- Join the Wikipedia + Libraries Facebook group for news and camaraderie
- Watch and share the OCLC #1lib1ref webinar
- Read the OCLC #1lib1ref Learner Guide
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Voting Phase
Hello once again! We are happy to announce that the steering committee election 2018 is now open for voting. Because you have joined the user group by 21 January 2018, you are eligible to vote. As mentioned under the instructions for voters, you can vote support for multiple candidates, at most one support for each candidate. Also, oppose votes are not allowed, but discussions are welcome on the talk page.
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Results
Hello everyone! The steering committee election for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group is finally over and the results you were patiently awaiting for is here! We had many great candidates with awesome skillsets and experience, unfortunately not everyone could make it to the final eight. We are grateful to all the candidates for stepping up and boldly throwing their hat in the ring. It was a difficult choice and they made it. Now, the results. The candidates who made it to the final eight are,
On behalf of the founding members, the TWL team and the user group members, we congratulate the candidates on their successful run and welcome them to the committee. The steering committee and the founding members will soon meet to discuss the handover and next steps of the user group. Thank you--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:56, 16 February 2018 (UTC)
What's new from the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group
- The steering committee invites you to participate in this poll to help the committee plan activities this year.
- The committee decided to use the librarieslists.wikimedia.org and has started making announcements on the list. Please join the list for future announcements and for internal discussions and communications.
- The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (May 14-15, 2018) is now available on Meta.
On behalf of the steering committee,
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group updates and Wikimania
If you are attending Wikimania,
- Bring your books! You can participate in the book swapping we have planned, and swap/leave your books on the table. More details here
- WLUG meetup. We'll be mingling with other librarians/Wikibrarians/activists at the Birds of a Feather Lunch: GLAM and Heritage Birds of a Feather Lunch on July 21st, 13:00 to 14:00 in the London room. Come, join us!
- For your convenience and scheduling purposes, we've put together a list of Wikimedia and library-related events in Wikimania that might be of interest to you, with time and venue.
Bon voyage and have a wonderful Wikimania!
If you are not attending Wikimania, we have you covered too!
- Please help us plan activities for this year by sharing your suggestions on how to implement the top two ideas from the poll results. The discussion is open on the user group talk page.
- The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (June 28-29, 2018) is now available on Meta.
On behalf of the steering committee,
Join us on The AfroCine Project
This is to introduce you to a new Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project. This new project is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, events, etc, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora. If you would love to be part of this (or you're already active in this area), by coordinating local programmes around African cinema (independently or otherwise) in your community or local Wikipedia, kindly list your username or organization as a participant on the meta project page here.
Furthermore, In the months of October and November, we are organizing a global contest and edit-a-thon tagged: The Months of African Cinema. If you would love to join this exciting event, also list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia page. If you would love to lead this contest (or any other relevant program) for a non-English Wikipedia community, please feel free to translate the English Wikiproject page to your local language Wikipedia, or you can create one from scratch!
Welcome to the Months of African Cinema!
The AfroCine Project welcomes you to October, the first out of the two months which has been dedicated to improving contents that centre around the cinema of Africa, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
This is a global online edit-a-thon, which is happening in at least 5 language editions of Wikipedia (en, he, es, it, bn) and Wikidata. Join us in this exciting venture, by helping to create or expand articles which are connected to this scope.
On English Wikipedia, we would be recognizing Users who are able to achieve the following:
- Overall winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd places)
- Country Winners
- Diversity winner
- High quality contributors
- Gender-gap fillers
- Page improvers
- Wikidata Translators
For further information about the contest, the recognition categories and how to participate, please visit the contest page here.
If you'd love to organize this contest for your local wiki or organize in-person events centred around this project, or you need further information about the AfroCine Project, please leave a message on the project talkpage. See you around :).--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:50, 03 October 2018 (UTC)
[Wikipedia & Education User Group] Updates: November 2018
Integrating Wikimedia with education is a powerful strategy for the outreach of Wikimedia projects. Realising this concept, a group of leaders promoted this and formed the Wikipedia Education Collaborative. After some time, this evolved to become a user group, officially recognised by the Affiliations Committee in June 2018. The user group had its first board elections earlier in September. In the process to formalise activities and give a shape the user group for long-term sustainability, we are now revamping our processes. Thanks for supporting us during incubation stages, we are now inviting you to formally join the user group by following the instructions on the members' page. Being a member will allow you to be a part of this wonderful collaboration and also do interesting stuff.
Wiki Project Medicine Foundation Membership
Dear Wiki Project Med Supporter, you are receiving this message as you have shown interest in supporting Wiki Project Med in the past. As our organization grows and evolves, we want to be able to verify peoples ongoing desire of to be involved. To that end, the board has decided to require renew of membership every two years. So -- whether you are a current member or not, please fill out our updated membership form, to ensure your membership till the end of 2020. Please note -- We ask that you fill out the form by Feb 3rd, as we are close to elections and only members can nominate themselves for the board and vote!