Grants:PEG/Irvin Stotomas/Wikipedia Takes Rinconada
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project plan
- 4 Non-financial requirements
- 5 Get involved
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
There is a lack of photographs and video clips in Wikipedia on the landmarks and cultural icons of Rinconada district, which is comprised of the City of Iriga and six (6) municipalities in the province of Camarines Sur, Philippines.
What is your solution?
Holding Wikipedia Takes the City in the 5th District of Camarines Sur will not only increase the stock of photographs and video clips from this area licensed under Creative Commons, but will also be an opportunity to meet and recruit potential editors and volunteers based in the area.
The activity aims to increase the stock of free photographs and video clips which focus on the City of Iriga and the six (6) municipalities in the 5th District of Camarines Sur so that these can be used for Wikipedia articles which require images and videos. Moreover, this activity aims to promote awareness of Wikipedia in the district which is home to over 500,000 people. By 2016, the Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia project will have been created and the goal is to further promote the project among non-Wikipedians based in the Rinconada target area.
Unlike the previous editions of Wikipedia Takes Manila and Wikipedia Takes Naga, which were held in urban areas, Wikipedia Takes Rinconada covers neighboring rural municipalities and a city, which are united by a common history, language and culture. Fulfilling the participants' list of goals which includes not only photographs but videos as well within a given number of hours is tricky considering that the area in question is five times greater than the areas covered by the previous two editions. However, the logistics can be modified to achieve this project's objectives.
The first day of photograph hunting will focus on the City of Iriga. Participants will upload the photographs taken in this city using their respective accounts in Wikimedia Commons if possible on the same day. Participants are then given 6 days to accomplish the rest of the goals and upload as many photographs as they can, at their own pace.
The schedule of activities for this project is as follows;
- October 15, 2015: Coordination with organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs) and documentation
- October 15 - November 30, 2015: Acceptance of applications, assisting registrants and answering queries
- December 1-5, 2015: Selection of 3-member teams based on the following qualifications:
- 1) Participants are equipped with a DSLR camera or digital camera.
- 2) Team members are preferably residents of any municipality/city in Rinconada district; or representing an organization, school, company or institution they are connected with, which is based within the district.
- 3) Each team member has created an account in Wikimedia Commons and has familiarized him/herself with uploading photograph and videos in the website.
- 4) Team members agree with the Guidelines and Mechanics.
- December 12, 2015: Announcement of qualified teams (7 - 20 teams)
- Wikipedia Takes Rinconada
- December 19, 2015:
- December 19, 2015:
- 8:00AM - 12:00NN (Saturday): Conduct Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Lecture and send-off of the participants;
- 1:00PM - 3:00PM (Saturday): Participants upload photographs taken in the City of Iriga
- December 20-24, 2015 (Sunday to Friday): Participants continue their photograph and video clip hunting. Organizers will monitor online activities of participants (i.e. uploading, categorizing, adding correct description)
- 8:00AM - 12:00NN (Saturday): Conduct Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Lecture and send-off of the participants;
- December 25-26, 2015: Tallying of points
- Awarding ceremonies
- December 27, 2015: Announcement of winners
List of goals
Teams are given List of Goals to be accomplished with a maximum of 889 Points:
- A. Heritage and people - Rinconada Bikol and Buhi Bikol (bcl) are the two languages spoken (notable speakers) in Rinconada district, which is rich in cuisine and delicacies (bcl) such as dishes and desserts like any other group of people in the country. Being a rural area and isolated by mountains and lakes to the rest of the mainland Bicol region, it has preserved its rich culture. In music and dances, Camarines Sur remains among the provinces in the Philippines where rondalla music is alive as well as the Pantomina, Paseo de Bicol and Pandango de Rinconada. Traditional practices such as games, and religious and communal activities during Christmas season such as Panunuluyan (tl) and Pastores de Belen, are still being practiced. The traditional ways of living and local industries (bcl) such as the traditional weaving in Buhi town is among its cultural treasures. Mount Iriga is also the home of indigenous Bikolanos, the Negritos or "Agta". These are the covered subjects for this category with focus on process and details, and language and communities.
- B. Natural landscape and panorama - Aside from Mount Iriga where the world's largest and heaviest flower, the Rafflesia, and other flora can be found, the district is dominated by the broad Bicol River, Lake Bato, Lake Baao and Lake Buhi (bcl), which is rich in fauna such as the world's smallest edible fish, the Sinarapan. This category focuses on the different angles of natural landscapes and varieties of flora and fauna.
- C. Public buildings, markers and spaces - Like every typical Philippine municipality, Bicol towns have municipal halls, public plazas, public cemeteries and monuments dedicated to for its forefathers and local heroes such as Jorge Barlin (bcl) and Luis Dato (bcl) of Baao town (bcl). This category focuses on the façade, details, sections or vicinity of these public structures.
- D. Religious structures - This category covers subjects on old and new churches with focus on its façade, details, interior, belfry and bell, and patio. (List of Cultural Properties of the Philippines in the Bicol Region)
- E. Educational institutions - Rinconada is home to University of Saint Anthony, University of Northeastern Philippines (bcl)(tl), Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges, La Consolacion College, St. Monica Academy, among others. This category covers public and private schools as subjects with focus on its main buildings, facilities, sections and vicinity.
- F. Business and other establishments - The City of Iriga and Nabua town are the two more progressive local governments in the district. Subjects that are covered in this category are small-medium enterprises, dining and restaurants, hotels and lodges, mall and recreational establishments, financial institutions, hospitals, clinics and farmacies, and other significant establishments found in Rinconada district with focus on its façade, interior, sections and vicinity.
- G. Participants in action for documentation: team in action, team portrait or group shots in landmarks.
Guidelines and Mechanics
- Each team is composed of three (3) members whose team members is connected with the organization, school, company, institution or local government unit (LGU) they are representing.
- Each team member has an existing account in Wikimedia Commons and everyone must be familiar with uploading photograph and videos in the website.
- Participants are equipped with a DSLR camera or digital camera.
- Registration fee is PHP300.00 per team inclusive of three (3) tshirts.
- Schedule: The photography hunt is divided into two rounds:
- On the First Round, teams are given half day to take as many photographs and videos of the subjects in the List of Goals within the City of Iriga.
- On the Second Round, teams are given a 6-day period to complete the List of Goals within the municipalities of Baao, Balatan, Bato, Bula, Buhi and Nabua.
- Photo Hunting:
- Participants are encouraged to travel using public transportation. Fare will be shouldered by the team.
- Members may not work together at some point or team up with other participants or teams during the entire activity, however only the photographs and videos gathered by respective members will be credited to the team.
- Significance of the subjects - Only public buildings, religious structures and educational institutions with historical and cultural significance; relevant establishments, notable locals and people; and picturesque nature should be photographed.
- Quality of shots - High resolution, focused, proper framing and exposure are the basic requirements for the photographs to earn points. Here are some tips on improving your building photography.
- Source - Photographs must be taken with the same camera used by the team during the entire duration of the competition.
- Significance of the subjects - Actual activities, performance and rendition of a person of cultural significance should be captured in video.
- Quality of clips - High resolution, focused, proper framing and 15—60 seconds in length are the basic requirements for the videos to earn points.
- Source - Videos must be taken with the same camera used by the team during the entire duration of the competition.
- Only photographs and videos which the participants wish to contribute (under Creative Commons) in Wikimedia Commons will be credited to their team.
- Photographs and videos must be uploaded by the team members using their respective usernames within the given period of time.
- During the First Round, teams will be given until 3:00PM to upload the photographs.
- During the Second Round, teams will be given a 6-day period to upload the photographs.
- At least 3 sentences background information (either in English, Bikol Sentral, Rinconadal Bikol or Tagalog) about the subject must be provided as a description of the photograph or video.
- Teams earn two points (2 pts) for each subject covered. An additional one point (1 pt) is earned for various shots on each item or different subjects.
- Top 3 teams with the most number of combined points earned in the two Rounds wins the competition.
- A special prize will be given to the team with the most unique photographs/videos among teams with a minimum of 150 media uploads.
Process of Registration
- Committee on Logistics shall coordinate with organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs) in Rinconada district to invite at least three (3) participants who will represent the organization, school, company, institution or LGU.
- Invitations shall be posted as well as in Facebook groups and pages of Rinconada communities.
- Applicants shall create an account in Wikimedia Commons
- They may or may not use their legal name as a username
- They must upload three (3) new photographs, which they personally taken, about Rinconada district, the organization, school, company, institution or LGU, that they are representing
- Each photograph must have 1-3 sentences description in either English, Central Bikol or Rinconada Bikol language. Photographs must be categorized under "Wikipedia Takes Rinconada" and "[municipality/city],Camarines Sur"
- They must subscribe or Like the official Facebook pages of the event and the community: "Wikipedia Takes Rinconada" "Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia"
- Teams shall be notified thru their Wikimedia Commons account Talk Page if they are included in the short list.
- Teams shall be selected based on participants basic photography skills, familiarity with with uploading photographs in Wikimedia Commons, and location.
Category Description Amount PHP/(USD) Promotional materials Event tarpaulins 2,000.00 ($43.49) Souvenir shirts 12 winners
6,600.00 ($143.53) Food Organizers and participants' meals 10,500.00 ($228.35) — Award's Night (40 pax) 7,500.00 ($163.10) — Snacks and lunch for the organizers (5 pax) 3,000.00 ($65.24) Cash Prizes — 18,000.00 ($391.45) — 1st Prize team with the highest earned points 7,500.00 ($163.10) — 2nd Prize team with the second-highest earned points 4,500.00 ($97.86) — 3rd Prize team with the third-highest earned points 3,000.00 ($65.24) — Special Prize team with the most number of unique subjects covered 3,000.00 ($65.24) Supplies Participant's kit, certificates, plaques, trophies 3,500.00 ($76.12) Logistics Transportation, meals and communication 7,000.00 ($152.23) Miscellaneous 10% contingency for unexpected expenses 4,760.00 ($103.52) Total PHP52,360.00
- Based on USD1.00 = PHP45.983
- Total cost of project
- PHP58,360.00 (USD1,269.16)
- Total amount requested from the Project & Event Grants program
- PHP52,360.00 (USD1,138.68)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- PHP6,000.00 (USD130.48) to fund expenses in snacks and tokens for the speakers in Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Lecture to be attended by at least 10 participants who can help in using the photographs and videos contributed in the Wikipedia Takes Rinconada in Wikipedia articles or in adding/editing correct descriptions of the photographs in Wikimedia Commons; or to subsidize the purchase of shirts just in case the sponsor would only offer discounted prize.
- Fund will come from the PHP300.00 (USD6.52) registration fee of qualified teams (20 maximum number of teams); inclusive of kit and souvenir shirt.
- Improve quality - This project allows the Community to gather high-quality photographs and videos of historically and culturally-significant sites and subjects found within the 5th District of Camarines Sur in a capacity far greater than what normal Wikipedians would be able to cover. The event will effectively improve on the quality of existing images of the Philippines uploaded on Commons and other Wikimedia projects. It also envisions to surpass the success of two Wiki take the City editions in the Philippines: Wikipedia Takes Manila and Wikipedia Takes Naga, in terms of quantity of photographs.
- Increase participation - Targeted participants are amateur and professional photographers representing their organizations, institutions or local government units (LGUs) based within the district, hence, the project will not only cover many sites and areas, but it can also encourage the participants to be part of the growing number of volunteers of the Community through follow up activities and regular meet ups.
- Expand Reach and Readership - The project also allows the Community to make Wikimedia more relevant to non-Wikipedians, and to encourage the participants and their organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs) to contribute to the projects and the movement as a whole by means of taking quality pictures.
Measures of success
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- We will consider this project a success if the following quantitative measures are met:
- Each municipality/city in Rinconada district is represented by at least one (1) team
- Number of photographs and videos uploaded in Wikimedia Commons is at least 150 per team; or at least a total of 1,000 files combined
- The average percentage of usage of the files is at least 10% to be evaluated three (3) months after the event
- At least two (2) private individuals, local companies or institutions will support the activity thru in-kind donations for prizes, venue, accommodation etc.
We would like to use the logo of Wikipedia for this event.
- Bikol Wikipedia Community was involved in organizing the Wikipedia Takes Naga in 2012, the second of its kind in Southeast Asia, and has also facilitated editing workshops namely: Open Web Day ADNU (Ateneo de Naga University) in 2012 and Open Web Day UNC (University of Nueva Caceres) in 2013. The project team members can learn from its past experience in the said activities specially in organizing Wikipedia Takes Rinconada.
- The event is open to groups of individual, organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs).
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Bikol Wikipedia Community and volunteers will be notified about the project as well as target partner-institutions, organizations and local government units.
The organizing team is composed of individuals who are interested to carry out the goals of the project.
- Project Lead: Irvin Sto. Tomas (Canaman, Camarines Sur)
- User:Geopoet (San Jose, Camarines Sur)
- User:Ringer (Naga City)
- User:Maffeth.opiana (Naga City)
- User:Jojit_fb (based in Manila)
- User:Rinconada (Nabua, Camarines Sur; based in Naga City)
- User:Steven*fung (Legazpi City, Albay; based in London, UK)
- Ivy Jocy Montaña (Nabua, Camarines Sur; based in Manila)
- Mons Saraspi (Nabua, Camarines Sur)
- Elbert Baeta (Iriga City, Camarines Sur)
- Joan De la Trinidad (Buhi, Camarines Sur; based in Naga City)
- Don Bañaga (Nabua, Camarines Sur)
Here are the tasks of the organizers:
Timeline Task Description Members who signified Oct. 15-Nov. 30, 2015 Logistics to coordinate with organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs) Done Mons, Elbert to find venue in Iriga City with computer and internet facilities for the event Done Mons, Elbert to find venue for the award's night Done Mons, Elbert to invite participants Done all members Technical to accept applications, assist registrants and answer queries Done Irvin, Geopoet November 1-15, 2015 Mechanics to finalize the photo hunt kits (i.e. guidelines, list of goals and point system) Done Don, Steven, Geopoet, Rinconada Nov. 15-30, 2015 Secretariat to produce the kits Done Maffeth December 1-5, 2015 Selection to select 7-20 three-member teams Done Steven, Geopoet, Irvin December 19, 2015 Secretariat to distribute kits and shirts Done Ivy Jocy, Elbert Lecture to find speakers to talk on Heritage and Culture of Rinconada, Basic Photography, and Rinconada Bikol language and Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia project Done Ivy Jocy, Elbert, Rinconada Technical to assist participants in uploading photographs taken within the City of Iriga Done Irvin, Geopoet Dec. 20-24, 2015 Technical to monitor online activities of participants (i.e. uploading, categorizing, adding correct description) Partly done Irvin, Steven, Jojit, Geopoet Dec. 25-26, 2015 Selection to tally points and select winners Partly done Steven, Jojit, Geopoet December 27, 2015 Secretariat to prepare the program and certificates Partly done Maffeth, Elbert
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project & Event Grants? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- This project will definitely attract participants specially those who are into photography. I can help in the promotion of this event. :) -Maffeth.opiana (talk) 04:24, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- I'd find time to be able to volunteer in this project. With the success of Wiki Takes Naga in 2012, I am positive that we will achieve our goals set for this initiative. Come me in. --Rinconada (talk) 11:32, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Support AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 12:20, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Support --JinJian (talk) 08:52, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
- Modest budget with good impact on the community. Support. ✒ Bennylin 09:11, 5 August 2015 (UTC)
- Support - I'm supporting this project. Geopoet (talk) 08:32, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- I feel the obligation to endorse/help/assist this project because it would certainly record a lot of historical/cultural/traditions in Rinconada which only a few people (writers & journalists) are taking into consideration. This would certainly enhance the content of the database in Wikimedia Commons and of course, it would also open up a new avenue of knowledge sharing and encourage other people to do same. Geopoet (talk) 00:46, 20 October 2015 (UTC)
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: