Wikimania 2018 for WLUG recommended events
The main gathering, where everyone will attend, is:
Birds of a Feather Lunch: GLAM and Heritage Birds of a Feather Lunch on July 21st, 13:00 to 14:00 in the London room. Get your lunch and then gather in the London room.
If you're in town early, there is a Wikipedia 101 for Librarians (in the Wale room, City Bowl hotel at 9:00 am), and various other training and editing activities on Wednesday.
You can find the list of all programmes on the Wikimania programmes page. Hope to see many of you there!
2018 plan for user group activities
- 57 - Engage with libraries in communities with historically low participation in Wikimedia projects
- 53 - Serve as ambassadors for the idea that Wikimedia work is business as usual in libraries by sharing case studies and communicating the benefits of engaging with Wikimedia
- 50 - Proactively coordinate outreach to library professionals; arrange for attendance at library conferences and events
- 41 - Expand campaigns like #1lib1ref, and get librarians more involved in other campaigns such as Wiki Loves Monuments, The 100,000 Challenge, Women in Red, etc.
- 32 - Explore how to roll out a Wikipedia + Libraries OCLC-style course on a global scale
- 31 - Help explain and promote The Wikipedia Library
- 28 - Use social media and email channels to exchange expertise, share resources, and support each other during events (such as edit-a-thons)
- 24 - Revive Wikipedia Loves Libraries
- 22 - Relieve anxiety about 'doing Wikipedia wrong' and get people excited to join
- 15 - Turn 1lib1ref from a campaign into a year-long, 24/7 branch
- Wikiedu is a website for university instructors to organize Wikipedia assignments. The webpage and their supporting documents have good design, and make a good "face" of Wikipedia to educators. Their training modules are excellent.
- Category:Wikipedia Training is a list of pages that have the "Wikipedia training" category. Most of them are good. Librarians in particular might like Wikipedia:Research help, which has links for resources on teaching media literacy through Wikipedia.
- The Georgia Library Association held a webinar on how to hold an edit-a-thon.
Related organizations on English Wikipedia
- The Wikipedia Library is a programme that helps Wikipedia editors access paywalled sources and promotes open access. They have a page that helps explain why collaboration with Wikipedia should be important to research libraries, called Research libraries.
- Wikipedia:GLAM is a group for Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAM). They have a Bookshelf that contains many presentations about why GLAMs should be involved in editing Wikipedia and ideas for events and outreach.