Wiki Cemeteries User Group
Wiki Cemeteries User Group is a Wikimedia user group in the process organized by wikimedians interested in the documentation and digitization of images of cemeteries and the spread of that knowledge.
Among our objectives are:
- Collaborating around the scope of cemeteries with existing Affiliates.
- Connecting with new partners and editors, specially in the field of traditional genealogy.
- Understanding cultural sensitivities around the theme of cemeteries (see talkpage).
- Understanding cemetery culture, including the role of caretakers, specialty items (e.g. flags for veterans, flower wreaths), and so forth.
People interested in this work live everywhere, and no one person in this User Group is "in charge". Everyone and anyone can coordinate any event and is encouraged to do so. Here are some ideas:
- Take photos at a cemetery near you and upload them to WikiCommons. Add cemetery maps to WikiCommons.
- Write a blogpost about a cemetery caretaker.
- Create a cemeteries WikiProject in your language Wikipedia.
- Add data about cemeteries into Wikidata.
- Upload Public Domain content regarding cemeteries into Wikisource.
- Translate articles about cemeteries into different languages, specially those lesser-known but with historical, cultural or religious relevance.
- Organize a Wiki Loves Cemeteries event on Día de Muertos.
Activities in 2019
- From our talkpage: I recently spent several hours taking photos of commons:Category:Graves at Gamla kyrkogården, Malmö and commons:Category:Gravestones at the Oulu Cemetery but I only put in Commons the oldest ones (e.g. people born in the 18th or 19th century). --Nemo 07:35, 30 August 2019 (UTC)
- Add your event here
We applied for recognition as a Wikimedia User Group on 28 July 2019.
- Maor Malul (designated contact for Wikimedia Foundation)
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (designated contact for Wikimedia Foundation)
- Jackie Koerner
Interested in participating
This User Group is open to everyone. Joining is easy. Sign up below!
- Achim Raschka
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 16:34, 29 July 2019 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 01:53, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
- Fuzheado (talk) 01:55, 6 August 2019 (UTC) - Seems like a very relevant project with Wikidata and tools like PictureThis
- Pyb (talk) 08:06, 19 September 2019 (UTC)
- - Darwin Ahoy! 22:06, 20 September 2019 (UTC) great fan of cemetery photography and artwork inventory and discovery for many years already.
- --Camelia (talk) 10:35, 29 September 2019 (UTC)
- Yamen (talk) 11:28, 29 September 2019 (UTC)
- Emna (talk) 18:33, 29 September 2019 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 22:31, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- Reda Kerbouche (talk) 17:46, 8 November 2019 (UTC)
- Rajeeb (talk!) 15:03, 07 December 2019 (UTC)
- Edjoerv (talk) 03:35, 18 December 2019 (UTC) - For sure!
- I've also informed the Wikimedia genealogy project.--Alexmar983 (talk) 01:52, 18 February 2020 (UTC)
- I photograph notable and Commonwealth War Commission graves in the northwest of England. Rodhullandemu (talk) 13:25, 18 February 2020 (UTC)
- I have taken some relevant photos, and done a lot of cemetery related categorisation on Commons. Plus have recently been going through a steep learning curve re the Georgian way of death. But no photos from Tbilisi graves yet as there are copyright and persons rights issues re all the images of dead people. WereSpielChequers (talk) 14:16, 18 February 2020 (UTC)
- Красныйwanna talk? 16:36, 21 February 2020 (UTC) (contact me for collaboration in North-Western Russia)
- Ciell (talk) 17:39, 21 February 2020 (UTC) Back in 2007, I tried to map the cemeteries in the Netherlands, but I never finished the project. I wrote articles about the history of burials in the Netherlands and the different ceremonies and the superstition around it.
- Lionel Allorge (talk) I take pictures of french cemeteries as part of the illustration of french cities and villages. I try to take pictures of objets on graves like Ceramic flowers on cemeteries.
This User Group will use the standard Affiliates logo unless someone is crafty and wants to create something else. Use the talkpage if you are so inclined.