User talk:Fuzheado

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Press release[edit]

Editing on the meta version of the press release has effectively stopped. Please be advised that we may be distributing the non-English press releases as early as Monday 29 September. The English version will be distributed the week after in order to smooth out the load on our servers. --maveric149 22 Sep 2003

Lets get in contact[edit]

Interested in an exchange of ideas? Greetings --Frank Schulenburg 20:20, 11 April 2007 (UTC)

Can you give me an explanation[edit]

Of why you erased the jury page? The jury has been decided and I have seen nowhere an email from you saying why you would do such a thing. Thank you for keeping me posted asap. notafish }<';> 13:00, 21 August 2007 (UTC)

Sysop rights[edit]

Hi Andrew,

Per this request, consensus was reached and you are now a sysop. Congrats! Please be familiar with our policies before using your new tools, and please also add yourself to the sysop box. Thank you. Majorly (talk) 00:10, 1 October 2007 (UTC)

October admin confirmations[edit]

Just to let you know that, per Meta:Admin#Poll after a year, your local rights on meta are up for their annual reconfirmation at Meta:Administrators/confirm. WJBscribe (talk) 21:56, 7 October 2008 (UTC)

Admin confirmations[edit]

Hi, your rights were removed after the yearly confirmations due to you not being actively using your admin tools. --Cometstyles 02:43, 22 October 2008 (UTC)

<sniff> SJ talk  

wikimania 2012![edit]

Yes to coordinating related talks if possible.

Yes to judging, but not too complex, for the awards! Still thinking about categories and nomination process.

SJ talk   14:30, 21 March 2012 (UTC)

stats on videos[edit]

Hi, I was browsing the etherpad of the multimedia round table, and I saw you wanted more stats on videos. Currently we do have stats for how many video files are on commons at commons:Special:TimedMediaHandler (There should be audio stats added to that soon). There's also commons:Commons:MIME type statistics, which break down ogg files between audio and video. However those are total number of files, not currently used files. I did some quick stats just now - Taking just the files on commons, currently there are 12,795 (out of 39,215, or 32.6%) videos being used, and 227,820 (out of 296,898 or 76.7%) audio files are used. Here midi files are considered part of audio files, and usage is considered the file being embedded somewhere on a wikimedia wiki (directly linking to the file page is not counted). Bawolff (talk) 21:17, 27 November 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia genealogy project[edit]

Please visit this page if you wish to contribute to a centralized discussion about a Wikimedia genealogy project. Thank you! --Another Believer (talk) 19:23, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Your account will be renamed[edit]

03:45, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.

Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Did you ever attend Wikimania with your money? Talk to us![edit]

TL;DR: Fill a short Wikimania survey, it takes 5 min.

Hi, I'm writing you because you are listed in Wikimania/Frequent attendees. As you probably know by now, Wikimania 2016 Esino Lario wants to achieve a Wikimania format which allows people to "get things done" and leave the conference fully satisfied with the result of their investment of time and other resources (see pillars 2 and 4: ). For this purpose, we consider all audiences (see ).

Participants other than scholarship recipients and reimbursed representatives are one group we heard very little from, but we think they are important because: 1) they have financial resources and help make the Wikimania budget sustainable; 2) they have motivation to share and ideas on what makes Wikimania valuable.

We set up a form mainly to collect names of some such people and talk with them later: if you provide your contact, we may write you on this topic. We may release aggregate data from the resposes; data will be handled by us and the Wikimania 2016 fiscal sponsor "Ecomuseo delle Grigne" (under EU law). Please fill the whole form, it's short!

Feel free to forward this invite to anyone.

Federico Leva and Martin Rulsch
Wikimania 2016 team, scholarships subteam
08:30, 11 September 2015 (UTC)

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:34, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Re: WikipediaWeekly Facebook group[edit]

FYI, I've just spent the last 80 minutes reading (and commenting outside Facebook) the entire last month of the WikipediaWeekly group, and I found it much more noisy than Wikimedia-l (and blogs, and wiki talk pages). I found perhaps 1-2 gossip items not entirely available elsewhere, other than that no takeaways. Anyway, I'm glad it's useful for whoever it's useful for. :) Nemo 21:52, 21 February 2016 (UTC)

Indeed there are certain threads that read much more like a chatroom than a discussion. But I contend there are voices and conversations I see there that you do not on Wikimedia-L. And key voices say things they haven't in other places. Wondering if you stumbled upon this revelation about the launch of VE which I have never seen anywhere else. [1].

Erik Möller For the record, the desire to "hit the deadline" for the VisualEditor release extended beyond any grant agreement. (If that had been all there was to it, I would have pushed back.) The Board independently had repeatedly pushed to meet the arbitrary schedule, and even the team itself was motivated at the time to finally go in front of a larger audience, as I think James would attest. The project had already been delayed repeatedly; there was even impatience in parts of the community and the press.

So there was a general, shared feeling that we needed to do better. I take responsibility for not putting on the brakes; it was due to my own lack of experience and focus at the time.

My takeaway is that we simply didn't yet have mature processes in place for a release of this scope and complexity. For instance, even the community liaison support was conceived at the last minute. We made a lot of changes in the years that followed, some under Sue (e.g., addition of a "Beta Features" program, improved testing infrastructure, QA support), some under Lila (focus on performance & analytics), some after I left. I'm sure in some respects there's still lots of room for improvement in engineering processes.

I agree with Ori's point on the list, however, that most of this continuous improvement has been going on in spite of, not because of, what's been happening at the top. That's in many ways how it should be -- WMF's engineering organization has the capacity for independent self-improvement in all areas. But of course the drama that's going on right now is entirely avoidable and depressing, and if it continues, will damage existing capabilities and lead to regressions in important areas as key people leave.

I don't have regrets about leaving -- I was going to stick around for another 1-2 years at most; I was never cut out to be a lifer, and I left voluntarily because it was clear things were going to just continue to deteriorate at the top. But if some of the key folks in engineering left, that would really really suck. You don't want that to happen, trust me. These are good, super-talented people, and the institutional/technical memory that would leave with them would set the org back severely.

Best. -- Fuzheado (talk) 00:23, 22 February 2016 (UTC)


For your helpful comment on the Native American outreach proposal, I was happy to see the collaboration with the museum of the American Indian. My idea was exactly to a wikibus or RV, to take it on the road during summers to carry out workshops and information sessions at tribal museums and libraries. If you are interested I can send you my forthcoming article, in which I argue that Wikipedia sorely needs representation from Native Americans and from anthropologists who know their way around the literature about Native American peoples and other indigenous groups. --Maunus (talk) 13:27, 16 March 2016 (UTC)

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Survey on content curation & review Inspire Campaign[edit]


Thanks for your participation in IdeaLab during the Inspire Campaign focused on improving content curation & review processes from February to March 2016. I'm interested in hearing your feedback about your participation during campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Immediate results of the campaign can be found here. Please feel free to review them and let me know if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:31, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Account vs. IP vandalism[edit]

Hello. You just posted a link at "Force people to log in" that interests me. I am not sure if this post belongs here or on that Discussion page. This Account vs. IP vandalism stuff comes up regularly, but I haven't seen any numbers. The link shows what they are going to talk about, but not any results than I could find. Do you have any idea where some results can be found? Thank you either way. Sammy D III (talk) 17:13, 18 June 2016 (UTC)

@Sammy D III:} - Good point. I've added a link to the video to the page - Grants:IdeaLab/Force_people_to_log_in_when_they_edit#See_also -- Fuzheado (talk) 03:40, 20 June 2016 (UTC)
@Fuzheado:} Thank you very much. The presentation, well, anyway, the bottom line looks good. Should it be a section on the Discussion page? Sammy D III (talk) 16:30, 20 June 2016 (UTC)

Request for feedback about naming[edit]

Does this design for the US Wikimedians naming !vote look okay to you? Talk:Wikimedia United States Coalition#Formal name and logo for the US coalition --Pine 23:19, 5 August 2016 (UTC)

GLAM Banners signoff[edit]

Hi Andrews, Is there any possibility that you can update Grants talk:Project/Rapid/GLAM Banners for Philadelphia, PA so that we can get this wrapped up before the fiscal year rolls over? It would be much appreciated, Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 14:39, 2 April 2017 (UTC)

Advice for a grant proposal[edit]

Hi Fuzheado, I have made a new grant proposal draft related to the previous one about the academic reviewers. Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated. --Maunus (talk) 13:02, 23 May 2017 (UTC)


Hello. I've sent you emails. --George Ho (talk) 01:26, 17 August 2017 (UTC)

[Wikipedia & Education User Group] Updates: November 2018[edit]


Integrating Wikimedia with education is a powerful strategy for the outreach of Wikimedia projects. Realising this concept, a group of leaders promoted this and formed the Wikipedia Education Collaborative. After some time, this evolved to become a user group, officially recognised by the Affiliations Committee in June 2018. The user group had its first board elections earlier in September. In the process to formalise activities and give a shape the user group for long-term sustainability, we are now revamping our processes. Thanks for supporting us during incubation stages, we are now inviting you to formally join the user group by following the instructions on the members' page. Being a member will allow you to be a part of this wonderful collaboration and also do interesting stuff.

Kind regards
On behalf of Wikipedia and Education UG, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:44, 10 November 2018 (UTC)

Request & Invitation for Wiki Loves Love 2019 Jury[edit]

Hello @Fuzheado:, Hope you are enjoying the holidays! I am co-ordinator of [Wiki Loves Love 2019], an international Commons Contest aimed at documenting love in different cultures and the theme of 2019 is festivals, ceremonies and rituals of love. We would be honored to have you on Jury for the contest, which will happen from February 1- February 28 2019. Please let us know if it is agreeable, our team would be excited and thrilled to have you on board. With lots of love and regards Wikilover90 (talk) 13:42, 30 December 2018 (UTC)

Comments about Affcom actions[edit]

Hey, how do you propose we should respond to false claims made by Kiril and other Affcom members? Chico Venancio (talk) 21:21, 3 January 2019 (UTC)


Can I propose a talk in Wikimania about GLAM or time is over?--Kaspo (talk) 10:13, 7 May 2019 (UTC)

WikipediaWeekly - item suggestions[edit]

I thought you might be interested in covering the following proposals at Commons, as they are felt to have a wide impact if implemented.

c:Commons:Village_pump/Proposals#Mass_requests_to_GLAM_to_mirror_PD_content_on_Commons_as_well_as_on_Internet_Archive c:Commons:Village_pump/Proposals#Mass_"Evacuation"_copy_of_Public_domain_resources_from_Internet_Archive_to_Commons.

If you wanted a wider focus, you might want to look into the role that other 'free' archives (like Internet Archive) play in digital access to knowledge and the public domain. And of course "How do you backup an entire archive of knowledge?"

In respect of Wikipedia Weekly more widely, are you eventually aiming for NPR/PBS style production standards, and editorial integrity? ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 14:53, 22 June 2020 (UTC)

Also some of what you are doing seems to be not dissimilar to some efforts from a decade ago in respect of v:Wiki_Campus_Radio, a project that is essentially dormant. You also way-back on the former incarnation of Wikipedia Weekly featured a small project called WikiCast. ;) ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 15:01, 22 June 2020 (UTC)

Affiliate telegram[edit]

Hi Fuzheado. In the announcement of Sunday's meetings there was mention of an affiliate Telegram channel. As a member of WMROMD, could I get the link to it please? Feel free to email me if you don't want to make it public.--Strainu (talk) 21:54, 23 June 2020 (UTC)

Wikimedia loves Fashion...[edit]

Any chance of asking contributors to upload scans of pattern drafting and Garment "cutting" works to Commons, especially those from the US that pre-date 1925? ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 10:15, 23 September 2020 (UTC)

I transcribed a good proportion of the Cutters Practical Guide to the Cutting of Ladies Garments on Wikisource, and figured there must be several other manuals of a similar date from the US. ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 10:15, 23 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 16:42, 22 October 2020 (UTC)

Wiki World Heritage User Group[edit]

Dear World Heritage enthusiast,
We are thrilled to announce that Wiki World Heritage User Group has been finally recognized ! This wouldn't have been possible without your support !
Please join us on:

Wishing you an excellent week ahead !

Nassima Chahboun (talk) 15:50, 3 November 2020 (UTC)
On behalf of the founding members.

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:28, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

WikiConference North America 2020 registration[edit]

Thank you for signing up to attend WikiConference North America 2020! If you haven't already, it would be much appreciated if you could also take a minute to register through our form at While not required, this will help us keep you informed via email, and will also help give us an idea of attendance numbers over the next three days. Thank you, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)

Thank you so much![edit]

Fuzheado, I'd like to thank you for all the work you did to bring WikiConference North America to fruition during this difficult year, and for the work you did keeping everything going during the event. It was a real treat to be able to participate. --TrudiJ (talk) 13:59, 15 December 2020 (UTC)

Wiki World Heritage UG preparatory meeting[edit]

The first preparatory meeting of Wiki World Heritage User Group will be held on 26 December 2020 at 16:00 UTC, and are looking forward to having you with us!

  • Meeting link : Here
  • Meeting ID : 763 8364 4697
  • Password: WWH

You are also invited to join us on WWH mailing list and WWH Telegram group.
Thank you !

Nassima Chahboun (talk) 20:01, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
On behalf of the founding members.

Wiki World Heritage UG board election[edit]

Hello Fuzheado,

Following the meeting of 26.12.2020, Wiki World Heritage User Group is choosing its first board !
You can find the elections page here.

Nassima Chahboun (talk) 21:03, 27 December 2020 (UTC)
On behalf of the founding members.

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 14:59, 4 January 2021 (UTC)