Wikimedia-l is the mailing list for all Wikimedia-wide matters, whether they concern projects, chapters, other affiliated groups, or the Wikimedia Foundation. It is the successor to the foundation-l mailing list, which was renamed to wikimedia-l in April 2012.
This description is shown on https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l and will be intermittently updated with consensus changes from this page.
Discussion list for the Wikimedia community and the larger network of organizations (Wikimedia Foundation, chapter organizations, affiliates, partners) supporting its work.
This mailing list can, for example, be used for:
- The initial planning phase of potential new Wikimedia projects and initiatives
- Organizational issues of the Wikimedia Foundation, chapter organizations, others
- Discussing the setup of local Wikimedia chapters
- Developing and evaluating grant-making programs
- Planning elections, polls and votes
- Discussion of projects that don't already have a mailing list
- Finding ways to raise funds
- Other Wikimedia-related issues
This is a high traffic mailing list. The list is moderated, and is publicly archived. New subscribers are initially moderated.
Participants are asked to remain civil and stay on topic. Please see the Guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines .
The Wikimedia-l list is archived in numerous places; among them:
Spectacular posts which (several) people remembered, used and/or referenced several times, years later. (Usually on the spirit of the list and of Wikimedia in general; posts on specific matters are generally mentioned in specific pages, see e.g. Machine translation.)
- Brion Vibber, Assume good faith, 2006
- Anthere on community, 2006
- Anthere, What the board is responsible of, 2010
- Anthere, In re Executive Director & COO, 2007
- Priorities and opportunities, 2009 (a topic discussed from August till December)
- Gregory Maxwell on "working on the behalf of the best interests of the project", June 2010
- Communicating effectively: Wikimedia needs clear language now, 2012
As of 2016, new members are automatically moderated.