User talk:George Ho
Hello, if I will make any statement here, everything what I will say will be twisted by Ark25. We have had debates regarding his behaviour for over three years, and I incline to stay away from any additional discussions with this user. He was banned from ro.wp for flooding the project's pages with external links from newspapers, magazines, tabloids, etc, without carrying if an external link is appropriate or not for a particular subject. This is the real reason, and even on this Request for Comments, it is clear, that he refuses to get the point.
Please do not move this comment on that page, as I do not want to get involved again in a non-sense discussion. I wrote to you out of courtesy. Take care,––Silenzio76 (talk) 20:19, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- Beeblebrox, what to do about the above comment? May I copy and paste this? --George Ho (talk) 21:05, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on outreach to outside knowledge networks from February 2017. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating. I want to improve how campaigns are run, so let me know if there's something that could be done better for next time.
Hi there, there was a error with the Inspire survey link that caused the survey to be shown as expired, but has now been fixed. The link in the above message should now bring you to the survey. Apologies, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:20, 31 March 2017 (UTC)
Notifying Albanian Wikipedia community
Hi George Ho, I read your concern here []. You can easily notify or talk with other users in Shqip Wikipedia in English. You can contact certain editors if you find it easier. You can also contact me, on my talk here, on Shqip or English Wikipedia. Emailing me is an option too. Best. Ktrimi991 (talk) 13:33, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
Please close Iloko Wikipedia
Re: Wikimedia Forum
IMHO not. There isn't a significant disruption, while inability to have discussions with everyone would be terrible. --Nemo 06:03, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks. I don't know the enwiki Project namespace (those policies, guidelines, essays, other stuff). That's why I made that mistake. I fixed it. SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 21:33, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
Do you think your comment is useful? For whom? And why? Of course there might be any number of additional or alternative projects. But I happen to like Wikipedia and enjoy contributing. And I'd like to remind WMF that the happy readers of our Wikipedia are paying their salaries, so they should not cut the branch they are sitting on. If they want to start something new, they should expect to look for new contributors, because we - the community - are self selected encyclopedia nerds. And many if not most of us will not suddenly convert to video tutorial creators or build and fill a database for the semantic web that does not use full sentences, paragraphs and articles. --h-stt !? 14:02, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- From me also: Thanks for Your care and mail, but comments like "Umm... we know that Wikimedia ≠ Wikipedia, Magiers, right?" are not necessary and will drive me out of further conversations. --Magiers (talk) 21:57, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
re: RFC discussions about Arabic Wikipedia
Hello George. I am sorry for being late on this (I am not really using my volunteer account much lately, and it is also a busy time of the year for us). Anyway, thank you for notifying me on this. It seems one of the two requests is already closed, I will check on the other, which seems to be a little long, and see if I have something useful to contribute. As for the elections thing: it is totally alright, I did not really expect to win, but I liked the experience :) I am probably not going to explore other opportunities, though. Hopefully, someone else will --Abbad (talk) 12:38, 7 July 2017 (UTC).
Re: Need update on Cycle 3 in local wikis
It's up to local coordinators when they decide to update respective pages and inform communities. For example, I needed to take a day off, that's why I'm updating today. The question about dewiki should be directed to Gereon.
Btw, on enwiki and other sites I deal with, I don't hide the Cycle 1 insights and references, so both of the existing challenges can be discussed. Similarly, in the third week of July, Challenge 2 will be visible by default, so two days earlier or later should make no difference. Additionally, AFAIK, challenge 3 and 4 materials should show up earlier (on Wednesdays or Thursdays), and the coordinators will have more time to prepare. SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 12:49, 11 July 2017 (UTC)
Abuse at Romanian Wikipedia
Before You engage in something , ask the people concerned.
A vandal has sexually harassed our female user with this message  ("invitation" for fellatio), and that bully still shamelessly dares to complain, hiding his dirty behaviour under alleged "blocking because of his nationality". Kubura (talk) 06:30, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- All right, Kubura. I'll ask people first before doing something. But why before making an edit there? As for that edit, that happened in 2009, eight years ago. How would that hold up well? --George Ho (talk) 06:51, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- We must protect women against such verbal violence. Saying such things ("come and suck ...") is not just NSFW, but a prompt firing. Am I wrong? Ask the women for the opinion. Ask the women from the Board of Trustees : how would they react to a such message?
- Personally, I am now even more concerned that I did the wright thing. That harasser not only insulted the woman, but also he showed no feeling of guilt for his behaviour, and even more, he finds the targeted/victim population as the aggressor! He pushes aside his act, "it's never problem with him, it's always the others".
- Man, even the congresmens' and senators' careers are endangered if they say something like that ("come and suck my ...."). Kubura (talk) 07:06, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
Hello, George. When talking about something, please, ask the users concerned. This page  or similar topics always activate approximately few weeks before the anniversary of Croatian liberatory military operation Oluja. These days every year in Croatian media there is a ongoing fight among politicians, journalists, publicists and others about that topic. Accusations and stuff.
Especially recent years: last year about this time a cardinal (hr:Alojzije Stepinac) has been fully rehabilitated on the court, this year the chairman of Croatian national cultural society hr:Filip Lukas. Both were condemned on the Yugoslav Communist court. Last year about this time also a monument to a Croatian revolutionary was revealed (hr:Miro Barešić), with the presence of the representatives of Croatian Government.
The "left" and "Yugoslavia-restaration" activists are very active these days. These days started the discussion about the oath of the Croatian President: should the "so help me God" be in that oath or not. The activists pushed thing so far that Constitutional court had to say that that part is not opposing to the Constitution. ('Tako mi Bog pomogao' nije suprotno Ustavu), July 25, 2017
When the activists attack, they choose no means, behaving :"The heavier the accusation, the better". I so this message. That "white washed fascist movement symbol" (as VS6507 wrote on 04:45, 21 November 2015; BTW VS6507 is permanently blocked for harassing female colleague with "come and suck my ....") is a regular symbol Croatian national TV.  (in the corner up left) Have a look.
Please, don't allow yourself that vandals pull You by the nose. They are wasting Your precious time. Please, don't allow that discontents misguide and misinform You. Kubura (talk) 06:56, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
Re: Informing all communities onwiki about the draft of the Direction
Yes, they should and they will. I waited for an official info about the launch, and after Katherine's post on mailing lists, today (imho) can count as day 1. I'll send messages to village pumps on many mid-sized wikis. (Nobody besides the drafting committee really knew when day 1 would come.) SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 08:06, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
Commond deletion bot requirements
I'm contacting you because you supported the Commons Deletion Bot proposal in the 2017 Community Wishlist. The Wishlist team has finalized the draft specifications for how the bot will work, and are seeking review in confirming or discussing the plans for the bot. If you have some time, please take a look and leave a comment. Thanks, happy editing to you. - Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:06, 12 April 2018 (UTC)
Commons deletion notification bot
You are receiving this message because you supported the Commons deletion notification bot in the 2017 Community Wishlist Survey.
Commons deletion notification bot is ready to be deployed to any Wikimedia wiki that wishes to use it. If your community is interested in the bot, you can leave a request on the project page on meta-wiki. The bot messages are available for translation on translatewiki.net, as part of preparing the bot for release.
The Community Wishlist Survey
You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.
You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Potential copyright infringement at Bosnian Wikipedia!
Hi George Ho! If I can ask you to investigate a potential copyright infringement on bs. wikipedia. This is the article "bs:Mustafa Golubić". We have a match of 75.7%! Administrators do not respond to my requests and I ask you to warn them. Thanks in advance. -Golden Bosnian Lily (talk) 21:38, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks, Lily. I see the attempt made at w:bs:Razgovor:Mustafa Golubić. You may want to contact one of admins, like either C3r4 or AnToni (especially by looking at history log), for intervention by stewards. BTW, I compared this revision (different from the previous) with the original source. Since the original source went first, someone should be done about the content. Nevertheless, let's not get too rash to make a decision. Because Bosnian Wikipedia have active admins, here's what the passage from Steward requests/Miscellaneous says: "If the wiki does have active administrators, file the request with one of them." George Ho (talk) 05:07, 22 January 2019 (UTC); edited, 04:04, 23 January 2019 (UTC)
About my edit to the branding headline
Hi George Ho, thanks for helping spread the word about the branding community consultation by posting to the Meta-Wiki Main Page. It was a great idea to put the announcement there.
I have edited the headline to make it consistent with the project announcement. Just for your reference, the proposal actually does not recommend name changes for the projects, except for Wikimedia Commons, which it recommends shortening to WikiCommons to match other project naming conventions. The idea of the "a Wikipedia project" tagline is a minor note and not the core of the proposal. This is explained in the project summary.
- One question, Ms. Lappen. The mobile view doesn't show much of the Meta's main page content, so the mobile viewers won't see the announcements there. What can be done about the issue? George Ho (talk) 20:56, 15 March 2019 (UTC)
- Another question: What about posting the central banner about the rebranding on most, if not all, wiki sites? George Ho (talk) 20:59, 15 March 2019 (UTC)
- Yes, viewing the content on mobile is definitely an issue. There are multiple projects that want to update the main page design for this and other reasons. French Wikipedia did an interesting overhaul recently, that looks pretty good on mobile and may be of interest. I'd suggest writing on the main page's talk page to see if you can spark some discussions around this!
User script to access other watchlists
Hi George Ho,
If you remember, you participated in the 2019 Community Wishlist Survey, including the discussion for reviving "Crosswatch" to allow for cross-wiki watchlists (Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Watchlists/Revive Crosswatch tool).
I sent you this MassMessage because I wanted to let you know that I have made a user script to make accessing your watchlists on different wikis easier, since for now that wishlist item has not been actioned.
The way it works is that, on any wiki, when you look at your watchlist, there is a button labeled "CA" that takes you to the CentralAuth page for you. There, when looking at your own information, each link to a wiki ("meta.wikimedia.org", "www.wikidata.org", "de.wikipedia.org", etc.) is changed so that it links to your watchlist on that wiki.
If you are interested in using it, just add
Thanks, --05:50, 6 June 2019 (UTC)
Opinion request about a disagreement in the Bulgarian Wikinews
- Moved discussion from w:en:User talk:George Ho#Opinion request about a disagreement in the Bulgarian Wikinews
We in the Bulgarian Wikinews cannot achieve agreement on two topics about this voting. I see that you have suggested filing a request at m:SRM. Is that your suggestion, or you would prefer some other? Also, I will value highly your opinion on that, should you decide to give it.
- Grigor: Either the SRM or Stewards noticeboard (suggested by Cohaf earlier) can do. Either you or Iliev should post a request if you are running out of ways to convince each other or could not agree any further, or I think I may just in case. BTW, since the matter doesn't involve enwiki, I decided to copy-and-paste the message to here instead. You can reply at either Meta-wiki or n:bg:User talk:George Ho. George Ho (talk) 19:30, 29 July 2019 (UTC)
Re: Intellectual properties
Please don't use this term.
Nemo 07:24, 19 September 2019 (UTC)