WikiConference India 2016 updates
Thanks for signing up as a volunteer for WikiConference India 2016 (WCI 2016). Here are some updates regarding the event:
- WCI 2016 will take place on 5th, 6th, and 7th of August 2016 at Chandigarh Group of Colleges, Landran (Mohali). Please save these dates. We will open conference registration soon.
- PEG request for WCI 2016 has been approved. We appreciate WMF PEG team's support and decision in facilitating this. We thank all community members who endorsed and contributed to this initiative. We are excited and look forward to an intensive month planning and executing WCI 2016.
- Phase 1 filtering of scholarship applications has been done. Among 450+ applications, 200+ applications have been shortlisted for final review. We are expecting to announce the results by July first week.
- WCI 2016 Call for Participation is open now. Please submit your proposals for paper presentations, lightning talks, and workshops.
- Please take WCI 2016 Program Survey and help us design the conference based on community's needs.
- Please initiate and participate in the Punjab edit-a-thon. It is a gift from all Indian language communities for the Punjabi community which is hosting the conference. The community that adds most number of bytes or words will be awarded a trophy.
- Please review our conference Code of Conduct.
- Please place any feedback regarding the event at the meta talk page. You can also join us for the weekly IRC sessions we hold every Wednesday and Saturday at 2130 IST at #wikiconferenceindia channel. You may also find frequent updates through our Facebook group and mailing list.
WCI 2016 Team.
P.S. If you wish to stop receiving such updates, please remove your name here.
Wiki Loves Love
WAM user group
Need your help to connect with Bangalore based Punjabi Wikipedia Contributors
I'm Mallikarjuna from Kannada Wikipedia.
You were the Organizer for Punjabi Project Tiger. We've been trying to connect with all Wikipedians in Bangalore, across languages. A meetup like that, will help us to carry forward the momentum of Project Tiger.
Could you kindly, put a notice on Punjabi Village Pump & help me get connected to as many Bangalore based Punjabi Wikipedia Contributors (either or all of Pedia, Source, Quote, Meta, Commons & Wiktionary).
Interested Contributors can sign, we could collect names & get started towards organizing the meeting. In July 2018, we wish to host a meeting of Bangalore based all language & all projects Wikipedians at CIS Office Bangalore.
Tito Dutta has been very much willing to support this effort. -With Metta, Mallikarjuna.
-WIth Metta, Mallikarjuna. 05:15, 17 June 2018 (UTC)
New community space for IdeaLab on Connect
Hi folks. If you're receiving this message, you've contributed to IdeaLab or an Inspire Campaign this year. Thanks for participating to develop ideas and review ones from other Wikimedians.
We are preparing some changes to IdeaLab and Inspire Campaigns. One of these changes is a new community space on Connect, where Wikimedians can find each other based on common activities or skills, and ask questions about the space. You are invited to join this community space for IdeaLab, especially if you would ever consider needing to find contributors with certain skills (like design or project management) or would like to offer your skills to others in our movement. To join, please proceed to Connect/IdeaLab and click on the "Add yourself" button on the right. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:53, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
Do you have an idea about how to measure the health of your community? Do you want to review ideas that others have submitted? Through August 10th, we are inviting ideas on how to capture the well-being of Wikimedia communities, in terms of matters like conflict resolution, effective content creation, and being able to contribute in a collaborative environment. Ideas can be focused on either quantitative techniques, such as gathering raw data, or qualitative techniques, like surveying contributors. If you are submitting an idea, guidance is available for how to move your idea into implementation, such as through a grant or starting a Phabricator task to engage with developers.
Join us on The AfroCine Project
This is to introduce you to a new Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project. This new project is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, events, etc, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora. If you would love to be part of this (or you're already active in this area), by coordinating local programmes around African cinema (independently or otherwise) in your community or local Wikipedia, kindly list your username or organization as a participant on the meta project page here.
Furthermore, In the months of October and November, we are organizing a global contest and edit-a-thon tagged: The Months of African Cinema. If you would love to join this exciting event, also list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia page. If you would love to lead this contest (or any other relevant program) for a non-English Wikipedia community, please feel free to translate the English Wikiproject page to your local language Wikipedia, or you can create one from scratch!
Wikipedia Asia Month for EN.wiki
Welcome to the Months of African Cinema!
The AfroCine Project welcomes you to October, the first out of the two months which has been dedicated to improving contents that centre around the cinema of Africa, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
This is a global online edit-a-thon, which is happening in at least 5 language editions of Wikipedia (en, he, es, it, bn) and Wikidata. Join us in this exciting venture, by helping to create or expand articles which are connected to this scope.
On English Wikipedia, we would be recognizing Users who are able to achieve the following:
- Overall winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd places)
- Country Winners
- Diversity winner
- High quality contributors
- Gender-gap fillers
- Page improvers
- Wikidata Translators
For further information about the contest, the recognition categories and how to participate, please visit the contest page here.
If you'd love to organize this contest for your local wiki or organize in-person events centred around this project, or you need further information about the AfroCine Project, please leave a message on the project talkpage. See you around :).--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:50, 03 October 2018 (UTC)
[Wikipedia & Education User Group] Updates: November 2018
Integrating Wikimedia with education is a powerful strategy for the outreach of Wikimedia projects. Realising this concept, a group of leaders promoted this and formed the Wikipedia Education Collaborative. After some time, this evolved to become a user group, officially recognised by the Affiliations Committee in June 2018. The user group had its first board elections earlier in September. In the process to formalise activities and give a shape the user group for long-term sustainability, we are now revamping our processes. Thanks for supporting us during incubation stages, we are now inviting you to formally join the user group by following the instructions on the members' page. Being a member will allow you to be a part of this wonderful collaboration and also do interesting stuff.
Want to be a Part of WAM 2018.
Would like to inform you that I am from Pakistan here, so may I please submit you the contributions of mine in English and as an Individual?
Would I have to join a local community of Organizers in order to do that, or can I submit my entries as an individual? As I want to participate as an individual and submit in English.
Hello,@Saadullah Bhatti:! Thank you for reaching out to us for WAM Participation. If by English, you mean submission of articles for WAM Contest in English Wikipedia, then please follow this link and add yourself as participant and Submit your articles till 30 November. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Asian_MonthWikilover90 (talk) 19:23, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Hello Tito (CIS-A2K), thank you for the message. I will have a look and reply for the same.Wikilover90 (talk) 10:26, 4 February 2019 (UTC)
Wiki loves loves contest on wikipedia
Hi, I dont think adding in block bios of feminsts and women is adequate: I think we need to focus on the subject which is love festivals and ceremonies, but adding "with a special focus on reducing the gender gap". Otherwise an article on a women scientist can be submitted although it has nothing to do with the subject. So I have changed your wordings a little, hope you dont mind! I have taken out "women activits" because I dont think it has to do with the main subject. We could draw a list on "women activists who tackled the subject of love, free union" there is a lot to do there. Cheers! Nattes à chat (talk) 08:24, 5 February 2019 (UTC)
|Hello, Wikilover90. Check your email—you've got mail!|
Hi, I presume this page should be moved to User:Wikilover90/Wikisource editors stats with 50 + edits ;-) ? Regards --Schniggendiller (talk) 17:18, 10 February 2019 (UTC) Hello Schniggendiller, thank you for pointing this out. I will rectify this right away.Wikilover90 (talk) 17:28, 10 February 2019 (UTC)
Wikiloveslove wikipedian contest
Hi there, I am not sure I am able to collect new and expanded articles from indian languages. I have done it for italian and french so we now have a list of created and expanded articles allready! Next year if we start well in advance we can do better, let's say it is in beta phase, but allready nice results. I find it hard to use the photos produced because they are listed geographically. I think we should preselect thematic ones but there are so many... Many a good way of collaborating next year is to have someone preselect photos that could possibly be used in wikipedia articles? It would make it much more easier. Have a nice day!Nattes à chat (talk) 08:14, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
You, and some other users, are getting this message because you've previously translated from English to Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil or Telugu here on Meta. The Community Engagement department at the Wikimedia Foundation is trying to get some information we think is very relevant to the Indian communities translated into these languages. If you have the time and would be willing to help out, please take a look at User:CKoerner (WMF)/Support for our communities across India, which we'll be posting as soon as possible.
Thank you. /Johan (WMF) 11:40, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
AfroCine: Join the Months of African Cinema this October!
After a successful first iteration of the Months of African Cinema last year, we are happy to announce that it will be happening again this year, starting from October 1! In the 2018 edition of the contest, about 600 Wikipedia articles were created in at least 8 languages. There were also contributions to Wikidata and Wikimedia commons, which brought the total number of wikimedia pages created during the contest to over 1,000. About 9 in-person events were also organised for the edit-a-thon in different parts of the world.
The contest is organized by a Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project, which is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, and events, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
If you would love to join this exciting event, please list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia contest page. If you would love to lead this contest for your country or community, please list your name in the coordinators' page here. The rapid grants team would be accepting proposals throughout October and November, in case you'd need funds to run local edit-a-thons or some other activities related to this event. Upon listing your name on the coordinators' page, you'd be contacted to talk about the resources you'd need to run the event in your community. You can also contact me directly for any clarifications.
Finally, We also need volunteers to handle some aspects of the AfroCine project. These aspects include:
- Community Liaison: This role essentially involves closely engaging with local communities to support their activities within the scope of Afrocine.
- Communications: This involves the communications aspects of the project. Sharing relevant information on mailing lists and social media would be the responsibility of this person.
- MAC Jury: This role involves joining the jury of Months of African Cinema contest. We need as many people as we can get 🙂.
- Tools: Going forward, we would need relevant tools to better track the metrics and also analyse the general impact of these events. We are calling for Wikimedia volunteers who can navigate wikimedia tools that can be useful for the project.
If you would love to help with any of these roles, or some other roles that have not been mentioned, please contact me directly or on: samoye_hotmail.com
If you have further questions, complaints, suggestions, etc., please reach out to me personally or right here or the project talkpages.
Community Wishlist Survey 2020
You are getting this message because you've previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey, in either the Wikisource or Wiktionary categories. I wanted to let you know that this year's survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until November 11. Unlike previous years, we are only accepting proposals for non-Wikipedia content projects with no dedicated teams (i.e., Wikibooks, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversity, Wikispecies, Wikivoyage, and Wikinews). You can learn more on the survey page.
You can vote on proposals from November 20 to December 2. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won't send out a separate reminder to you about that. We look forward to your participation. Thank you! IFried (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 22 October 2019 (UTC)
Wikipedia Asian Month 2019
Extension of Wikipedia Asian Month contest
In consideration of a week-long internet block in Iran, Wikipedia Asian Month 2019 contest has been extended for a week past November. The articles submitted till 7th December 2019, 23:59 UTC will be accepted by the fountain tools of the participating wikis.
Please help us translate and spread this message in your local language.
What's Next (WAM)!
Congratulations! The Wikipedia Asian Month has ended successfully and you've done amazing work of organizing. What we've got and what's next?
- We have a total of 10,186 articles made during this edition and it's the highest of all time.
- Make sure you judge all articles before December 20th, Once you finish the judging, please update this page.
- There will be two round of address collection scheduled: December 22th and December 27th 2019.
- Please report the local Wikipedia Asian Ambassador (who has most accepted articles) on this page, if the 2nd participants have more than 30 accepted articles, you will have two ambassadors.
- In case you wondering how can you use the WAM tool (Fountain) in your own contest, contact the developer Le Loy for more information.
Wiki loves Women South Asia 2020 Questions
Belated Birthday Wishes Rupika,
Help me with these queries?
- Can men write?
- Is this limited to folk-lore & folk-culture related women only or Can we add women leaders in Sports, Literature, Polity & other fields.
- Fountain Tool doesn't count tables, bullet/numbered lists & such formatted text for count of 300 words. Only plain text gets counted. Any plan to get that fixed? I've been requesting Le Loy to fix it since Wiki Asia 2016, all in vain
- Can we add more names to the Suggested Articles list or is the time for that over?
- Is the Prize given to top 5 editors across all languages or to 5 in each language?
- When will Kannada Wiki get Fountain link for this campaign?
- FYI, If any user changes their username during the campaign, Fountain treats the old & new names as different User. More as info to Juries.