|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
Wikimania 2018 will be the 14th Wikimania, the annual Wikimedia conference for the community. The Wikimania Commitee and Wikimedia Foundation are seeking expressions of interest from interested parties for 2018 and 2019. This is not the bidding process used in past Wikimanias. We are keen for this to be a light-weight, simple request for suggestions. You don’t need to have a venue locked down, contracts drafted or sponsors lined up. (These detailed specifications will give you some idea of the projected minimum required elements are for hosting a Wikimania, and the minimum responsibilities of the hosting team/organization.)
We will be taking into account additional factors about potential sites especially cost, accessibility, security, and the strength of the organizing team. Please note the following preferences:
- Reasonable transportation cost to location (international round trip air fare).
- Close proximity to an international airport.
- Ease of getting entrance visas to attend.
- Personal safety of participants (e.g., welcoming environment/culture regardless of people's sexual orientation, race, age, gender, expression, disability, etc).
- Conference be held in a venue that is close to lodging (it can also be in a hotel itself).
- Lodging that is within walking distance that is affordable, clean, and safe (or transportation is provided for the attendees from the lodging to the venue).
- Conference facilities should accommodate anywhere from 600-1,500 attendees (depending on location), and be free or reasonably priced.
- The main hall of the venue should be able to host all attendees for the keynote talks.
- Flexible meeting space that can accommodate multiple tracks for five days.
- Meeting space that is attractive for socializing, open 24 hours, and close to restaurants, transportation, etc.
- Catering menus that will accommodate dietry requirements (e.g., vegetarian, gluten-free, halal).
- Network infrastructure including Wi-Fi.
- Conference should be held in the July-August timeframe. The conference takes place over a weekend; the format is usually Tuesday through Sunday. (Religious holidays will be taken into account when finalizing actual dates.)
- A volunteer, core team comprised of people with heavy involvement in the Wikimedia movement’s projects that is responsible for the conference program and working closely throughout the year on every aspect of the logistics with the WMF
If you are interested in discussing the possibilities and working with the WMF Events Manager in preparing a proposal to host and organize Wikimania 2018 or 2019, please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org AND also indicate your interest below (please do not prepare a proposal or bid in the space below) by November 10, 2016. The Steering Committee and WMF expect to make a decision in the next few months about 2018 and anticipate lining up 2019 sometime early next year.
Expressions of Interest (list here) e.g.,
Individual/Team; Location; Desired Year; Indicate that you have contacted WMF per above.
- Gnangarra, Perth, Australia 2018, have emailed Ellie Gnangarra (talk) 14:45, 31 October 2016 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Sverige, Sweden, 2019. I have emailed Ellie; will move this to 2019 when we get that wiki set up - Ellie John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 10:17, 1 November 2016 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Armenia, Armenia, 2018/2019. have emailed Ellie.--SusikMkr (talk) 16:07, 1 November 2016 (UTC)
- Bangkok, Thailand, 2019 Easily meets all criteria, plus additional important benefits. Have emailed Ellie. Kudpung (talk) 11:57, 2 November 2016 (UTC)
- Cape Town, South Africa, 2018/2019. Meets the criteria and emailed Ellie. Dumbassman (talk) 14:19, 27 November 2016 (UTC) Steering Committee and WMF agreed to explore possibility with this team to host; final decision will be made by Spring 2017--EYoung (WMF) (talk) 19:06, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- Turn for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia , a dynamic country*angys* (talk) 09:26, 15 July 2017 (UTC)