Wikimedia and Libraries User Group/Meeting minutes
This page is dedicated to the annual reports and meeting minutes of all meeting of the steering committee members as well as member meetups.
Annual report, 2021-2022
This annual report of the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group covers the year 2021-2022. This report covers the activities of the steering committee of the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group along with related activities to support the engagement of librarians with Wikimedia projects.
The Wikimedia and Libraries User Group held steering committee elections from October 4, 2022 to October 31, 2021. A smaller number of candidates participated in the process than previous years, but the elections still achieved broad geographic representation with elected members from Africa, the Middle East, and North America. Windblow29 serves as the chair of the steering committee.
Steering Committee Meetings
The members of the Steering Commitee meet monthly to discuss business related to the user group and to engage in strategic planning. Among the chief topics we have discussed are how to engage with the members of the user group more actively and to enlist more librarians around the world in our activities.
Wikipedia+Libraries International Convention
The User Group supported the inaugural Wikimedia+Libraries Convention that took place in Maynooth, Ireland. AfricanLibrarian, a member of the Steering Committee, served on the Core Organizing Team of the Convention and also delivered a keynote event. Windblow29 also served on the program committee for the Convention. The User Group also produced a welcome video for the Convention to encourage librarians to become more actively with Wikimedia projects. Three members of the Steering Committee, Windblow29, Orlysi, and AfricanLibrarian, are involved in the planning for the 2023 Wikimedia+Libraries Cohton adjacent to the IFLA meeting in Rotterdam, the Netherlands from August 21-25.
The members of the Steering Committee submitted a proposal for Wikimania 2022 titled "Libraries: Connecting Librarians to Wikimedia Projects Beyond Wikipedia." The submission was not accepted, but we are looking for other venues to share the contents of the proposal.
Wikimedia Summit 2022
Three members of the Steering Committee, Clifford Anderson, Orlysi, and Windblown29, represented the User Group as participants at the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin, Germany on September 9-11.
Newcomer of the Year
AfricanLibrarian, a member of the Steering Committee received the Newcomer of the Year award at Wikimania 2022 for her activites to connect networks of librarians in AfLIA and "to generate over 27,000 edits and counting" for Wikimedia projects. Congratulations, AfricanLibrarian!
In sum, the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group has had an active year despite the lingering challenges of the pandemic for librarians and their institutions. The Steering Committee has developed a draft working plan that it plans to publish in November 2022 for feedback from the User Group. We will be holding new elections in October 2023 and encourage members of the User Group who would like to become more actively involved in the Steering Committee's activities to consider nominating themselves for election.
Minutes of the latest meeting
April, 21 2021: Fostering Connections: Wikimedia and Libraries Global Meetup
Thank you to everyone who responded to the open invitation. It was great to hear about so many projects and initiatives. Links to projects, tools and presentation slides are listed below:
Tools and tips
- OCLC: Using WorldCat holdings data to fill gaps in Wikipedia https://hangingtogether.org/?p=8222 (see also: https://oclc.wistia.com/medias/4i5n2iossc , a talk Chris Cyr en Merrilee Proffitt about this blog including a demonstration of the tool)
- Penn Libraries Deep Backfile project researching copyrights of serials in the collection, to identify those that are in the public domain and can be shared freely with the world. Findings are published on the Web, through web pages and JSON structured data files linked with Wikidata. https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/db/
- Forward to Libraries finds books on a Wikipedia article's subject at a reader's local library https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Forward_to_Libraries
- Pattypan uploader for Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Pattypan
- url2commons https://admin.toolforge.org/tool/url2commons
- Wikidata request a query https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Request_a_query
- Western University, Ontario Canada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/University_of_Western_Ontario
- State Library of NSW, Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/State_Library_of_New_South_Wales
- NYU Manga Wikidata project https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_NYU_Libraries/NYU_Manga_Collections
- Wikisource transcription projects https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Transcription_Projects
- Smithsonian Wikimedian at Large and edit-a-thon projects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/Smithsonian_Institution/American_Women%27s_History_Initiative_(AWHI)
- WikiProject Women in Red https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Women_in_Red
- WikiProject Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Wikidata Pilot https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_PCC_Wikidata_Pilot
- Wikidata and ORCID https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:ORCID
- Boston University Wikipedia in the Classroom https://library.bu.edu/wikipedia
- African Studies Centre, Leiden NL collection images added to Wikimedia Commons https://www.ascleiden.nl/content/photographs
- Swiss National Library Wikimedia Commons upload https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Swiss_National_Library
- Wikipedia Weekly https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa5oYsCabGo7XwwKGqo7Qcw
Presentation: Structured Data on Commons by John Cummings (UNESCO) and Alicia Fagerving (Wikimedia Sverige)
- Presentation slides: in Google docs
- Project documentation at Documentation at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data
- Wikipedia Weekly: Structured Data on Commons explained (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFReHgDpWo
Future initiatives and opportunities for WLUG to support wikibrarians / librarians / wikimedians in our work:
- Calendar of events where Wiki and Library communities have opportunities to represent and share Google spreadsheet
- Workshop: How to organise an editathon https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Edit-a-thon
- Workshop: Wikimedia Commons and structured data
- OCLC Wikipedia + Libraries Better Together: training gives confidence to consider what you want your impact to be on Wikipedia specifically https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/wikipedia-libraries.html
Archives of our past meeting minutes