Wikimedia and Libraries User Group/Meeting minutes/2019/May/15

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

May 15, 2019[edit]

Attending: Merrilee, Frederick, Orly, Simon, Mylee, Rajene, Ayokanmi, Clifford, Aaron Apologies: Houcem, Not attending:


Discussion[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Affiliate selected board seats[edit]

  • The Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Board of Trustees election for two seats on the Board requires a vote from the WLUG. It was noted that we have only 15 days to respond. Simon prepared a table for steering committee members to register their rankings on candidates.
  • The steering committee consensus is to post a vote on behalf of members. All steering committee members to provide input on nominees and Merrilee to post the group vote. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/Resolution_2019

Responsibility: Merrilee

WLUG - Group coordination and focus activities

Communication: It was agreed to set up a Telegram group for communication between meetings, noting that it easy to copy and paste and from desktop into Wiki rather than a phone based tool. https://web.telegram.org/#/login . Merrilee will set up a Telegram group.

Responsibility: Merrilee

1lib1ref in the southern hemisphere May 15th to June 5th

  • Social media team can share more links and information using the #1lib1ref or #1bib1ref hashtags.
  • Merrilee and Mylee to do a hangout on the topic

Responsibility: Merrilee and Mylee

Grants: Encourage colleagues from less advantaged countries to apply for WMF travel grants to attend conferences. Aaron to put Clifford in touch with Felix for more information.

Responsibility: Clifford

Expanding User Group: Orly and Clifford to work on the goal of expanding the membership of the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group in order to (a) connect librarians and (b) to foster a lively community.

Responsibility: Clifford and Orly

WLUG at conferences

  • IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Greece, 24-30 August 2019 https://2019.ifla.org/conference-programme/
    • Orly to contact the National Library of Israel staff attending
    • Merrilee to contact the OCLC staff attending

Responsibility: Orly and Merrilee

  • DH2019 in Utrecht https://dh2019.adho.org/
  • Clifford is attending and Simon may attend. An opportunity to share information about the Wikidata work Simon has been involved with.

Responsibility: Clifford and Simon

WLUG - meta pages

Responsibility: Rajene

Tunisian approach to supporting user group-led project

Responsibility: Merrilee and Houcem

Next meeting 19 June 2019