Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021/Submissions/Help your community grow
- Your username:
- Email address: email@example.com
- Growth team, Wikimedia Foundation
- Help your community grow!
- Time needed:
- 20 minutes long presentation, followed by a conversation.
- Narrate your plan in details:
We all have been newcomers one day, and gradually we managed to find our way to become experienced users. But how many promising newcomers have abandoned this same journey because they didn't understand our tools or our policies, or lacked human-to-human support?
The Wikimedia Foundation Growth team is working on a set of tools that help communities to welcome newcomers and grow wikis in size and quality. These features have been shown to increase the activation, retention, and edit volume of newcomers.
- Newcomer homepage: a special page that hosts the "Newcomer tasks" and is a good place for a newcomer to get started. The homepage gives access to many resources, including a link to a volunteer mentor who would reply to their questions.
- Newcomer tasks: a feed of suggested edits that help newcomers learn how to make simple edits on their preferred subjects. Newcomers have been making productive edits through this feed! The feed is located on the homepage, as the starring feature.
- Help panel: a platform to provide resources to newcomers while they are editing. When newcomers work on "Newcomer tasks", the help panel guides them on what to do.
All of these features are available right now, on both desktop and mobile. It is also available for experienced users to turn them on and use them.
This presentation will be about discovering the Growth tools, know their benefits, and see how to implement them in order to increase chances to grow your community in a qualitative way.
- Any support you need:
This is an online presentation, with slides and a live-demo.
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in India?:
Communities will have the opportunity to discover a set of features that would help them to welcome and retain newcomers on Wikipedia, increasing the quality of new users' edits.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).