Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021
|Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021|
|Begins||19 February 2021|
|Ends||21 February 2021|
|Location(s)||Online (platform to be announced)|
|Country||World Wide Web, India-focused|
|Activity||See #Schedule (to be planned)|
|People||Advisor: Tanveer Hasan|
|For contact, please post on the Talk page or email: wmwmcis-india.org|
Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021 is an online wiki-event by A2K to be conducted from 19 – 21 February 2021 during the occasion of International Mother Language Day. This will be an entirely online wiki-event with different components such as online workshops, presentations, discussions, etc. (the exact schedule is to be prepared gradually and will be presented around a month before the actual event date.) The event will mostly focus on different Wikimedia projects in India, and possibly a large number of participants will be from India. However, event participation is not restricted to any particular country.
The objectives of the Wikimedia Wikimeet are:
- Celebrate on-wiki work and achievements of Wikimedians in India and globally.
- Provide an online platform for wiki-learning and skill-share on tools, gadgets, editing, advanced editing, etc.
- Support inter-community discussion and interaction on various topics.
- Arrange training and discussion on current important and relevant topics such as Abstract Wikipedia, Wikimedia Strategy 2030 (these are two example topics)
- Explore the medium of online training/wiki-event and document the learnings with details for future usage.
Wikimedia Wikimeet 2021 attempts to provide an online platform for Wikimedians in India and Wikimedians who are working or interested in Indian content on Wikimedia projects.
Over the years, we have seen numerous important Wiki-events conducted by Wikimedians in India. A2K also conducted and supported many such offline conferences/training sessions such as Train the Trainer, Media Wiki Training, Advanced Wiki Training, and Wikidata and Wikisource events.
For the last one year, we have been gradually shifting our focus towards online training and workshops. Although the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting related restrictions are a reason for this shift in focus, this is not the only reason to conduct such an event. Through Wikimedia Wikimeet we would like to further explore learning/greeting/meeting in the online space.
Online wiki-event is a high priority for A2K, and this event is being planned accordingly. All the Wikimedia projects are online and through this event, we are trying to explore the medium of online wiki-event (large-scale). We are especially interested to celebrate and showcase some of the best on-wiki contributions. We understand that this event requires planning and preparation for several months. After an initial discussion in the team, we are starting to prepare for this wiki-event in October 2020, and Wikimedia Wikimeet 2021 will be conducted from 19 – 21 February 2021.
As of October 2020, we are working on infrastructure and technical preparation.
- Partnership for infrastructure support: We are working on expanding this event page with more details. We are also looking for an opportunity to partner with/get support from like-minded institutions who already have experience of setting up or working with "hybrid learning" or "blended learning".
- Didactic communication and other similar aspects: We are aware that there are many important things and aspects which should be taken care of in a different way than what we do in regular on-ground events. One such example might be taking care of didactic communication and addressing the absence of face-to-face communication.
Apart from just conducting the Wikimedia Wikimeet 2021, we are eager to document our learnings in detail.
This timeline will be further expanded, some dates may change.
- October: Planning, documentation, event page.
- Late October: Initial community notification, discussion initiation
- 12 November: Second detailed explanation of the event sent via mailing list
- November–January: Preparation of the event
- By 31 January: Finalisation of the schedule/agenda
- 19 – 21 February: Main event
This section is just to give an idea about the kind of events in the conference and these events are not final. Topics will cover different projects such as Wikidata, Wikisource, there will be sessions on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, etc.
- Wikimedia 2030 strategy conference
- Topic on Wikisource (as per requirement)
- Session on gadgets and tools related to Wikimedia projects
- Discussion related to community growth in times like COVID-19 pandemic
- Celebration of on-wiki contributors from and out of India
- Networking of volunteers from different language communities and different Wikimedia projects for exchange of Wiki knowledge and ideas
- May be referred to "WMWM", "WMWMI" or "Wikimeet" as well.