Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- There is now a standard way to get the target of a redirect page from a Lua module. 
- A new way to handle rollback was introduced. It broke some tools and scripts and was reverted. This will be re-planned after review. 
- CentralNotice didn't work in some older browsers. This has now been fixed. 
Changes this week
- When you edit a file or category page with the visual editor the rest of the page will be shown in its normal place. 
- The Translate extension will get an edit summary field. 
- A change to the
<charinsert> feature could break some user scripts. Contact Bawolff if the "click to insert special characters" links in the edit window break on your wiki. 
- Elasticsearch will be upgraded on Wikimedia wikis this week. This should not affect you, but if you have problems with the search function this is probably the reason. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 31 May. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 1 June. It will be on all wikis from 2 June (calendar).
- You can join the next meeting with the VisualEditor team. During the meeting, you can tell developers which bugs you think are the most important. The meeting will be on 31 May at 19:00 (UTC). See how to join.
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.