|Caught by a global block?
Please do not email me, nor leave a request on this page asking for an exemption, or an unblock, you will be referred as above.
|If you are looking to get my attention, you can|
- 1 Badges
- 2 AbuseFilter change
- 3 Wikidata weekly summary #161
- 4 Userpage renaming
- 5 An apology from Willy on Wheels to WMF stewards
- 6 Request for help
- 7 Note on actions I took in WP space on Ladino Wikipedia
- 8 Wikidata weekly summary #162
- 9 Wikidata weekly summary #163
- 10 Shortcuts (regarding edit summaries)
- 11 Steward attention needed
- 12 the "Tatarnikòv Alexander" vandalism
- 13 Wikidata weekly summary #164
- 14 ladwiki redux
- 15 Wikidata weekly summary #165
- 16 Edit filter
Link GA has 73 entries, Link FA has 107 entries, Link FL has 9 entries. Many of them have been tagged for speedy deletion for more than a week. Me and Ladsgroup left messages to talk page offering to orphan the templates if asked. ptwiki wasnt to keep it for a long more. Two more wikis kept the templates for "historical reasons". I wonder what else to be done to reduce the numbers even more. -- Magioladitis (talk) 23:04, 2 April 2015 (UTC)
nds:Vörlaag:Link FA, sd:سانچو:Link_GA and wo:Royuwaay:Link BA can also be deleted the same way Link GA was deleted in those Wikipedias. Sorry, for giving them to you ike that. These should be the last of today's check. -- Magioladitis (talk) 12:36, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
4 wikis restored the deleted templates because there were some more transclusions left out. Check . I removed most of the links and asked Ladsgroup to do the fy.wiki part. Can you please investigate further and judge if can re-delete them? Thanks, Magioladitis (talk) 20:20, 10 May 2015 (UTC)
Please delete those 8 too. We have not seen them before because they were never connected with interwikis. . And those 3 with Link GA . I 've taken care of everything as it comes to links. -- Magioladitis (talk) 13:47, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
fj:Template:Link FA, kw:Skantlyn:Link FA, kbd:Шаблон:Link FA, kbd:Шаблон:Link GA, ig:Àtụ:Link FA, bjn:Citakan:Link FA, hif:Template:Link GA, ee:Template:Link GA, pms:Stamp:Link FA orphaned and part of small wikis that are rarely edited. -- Magioladitis (talk) 17:12, 16 May 2015 (UTC)
cr:Template:Link FA, ceb:Plantilya:Link FA, dv:ފަންވަތް:Link FA, hif:Template:Link FA, jbo:Template:Link FA. mdf:Шаблон:Link GA, na:Template:Link FA, mn:Загвар:Link GA, bjn:Citakan:Link GA orphaned and part of small wikis that are rarely edited. -- Magioladitis (talk) 14:12, 17 May 2015 (UTC)
A little bit more: ee:Template:Link FA, cy:Nodyn:Erthygl dda. lad:Xablón:Link FA has no links and it is tagged for deletion for almost2 months. It can be deleted. -- Magioladitis (talk) 09:35, 20 May 2015 (UTC)
gv:Clowan:Kiangley AM, gv:Clowan:Kiangley AR, gv:Clowan:Link FA (redirect), lmo:Mudel:Link FA, av:Шаблон:Link FA, lo:ແມ່ແບບ:Link FA, lo:ແມ່ແບບ:Link FA. All orphan and tagged for 2 months. -- Magioladitis (talk) 17:07, 20 May 2015 (UTC)
mwl:Modelo:Lhink FA (obviously created by accident), mwl:Modelo:Link FA and the redirect you missed above gv:Clowan:Link FA. Less than 20 templates left altogether and in most cases their projects want to keep them. I expect no more than 5 to be deleted in the short future. -- Magioladitis (talk) 16:31, 21 May 2015 (UTC)
I work with Ladsgroup to find all the unattached Wikipedias and those that delete the template without removing the tranclusions. There are quite a lot. -- Magioladitis (talk) 18:30, 24 May 2015 (UTC)
- nominated the first, and leave the second.
Hey Billinghurst, as an AbuseFilter power-user I was wondering if you have any thoughts or concerns about a patch I wrote to fix the long-standing AntiSpoof/AbuseFilter bug T29987. I know most of the AbuseFilter users are used to this bug and it will take some adjustment if the fix is merged. Do you think it would be super disruptive or do you think users would be able to adjust to it without too much difficulty? Kaldari (talk) 17:37, 5 June 2015 (UTC)
- I would hardly call myself a power user, just a persistent copier with global access and tenacity to lessen the crap and the abuse of system. I will presume that you have seen my comment on the bug, and I think that if we are correcting errors and making things easier to write quality filters that we can all put up with fixing workarounds. Thanks for your efforts and the pointer. — billinghurst sDrewth 01:40, 6 June 2015 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #161
Hello Billinghurst, my name is Sarvaturi, my Global account is Sarvaturi, and my Home wiki is scn.wiktionary.org (Sicilian Wiktionary). I wrote a message here because a maintenance bot changed my Meta userpage from Sarvaturi to Sarvaturi~metawiki but I don't like this. Please I would like to have the userpage Sarvaturi~metawiki (with my corresponding contributions) renamed into Sarvaturi (or moved to my Sarvaturi userpage). Best regards and I hope you have a good day. --Sarvaturi (talk) 06:50, 8 June 2015 (UTC)
- @Sarvaturi: Please place a merge request at SRUC and sign that with both of the involved accounts. When we have the tool available we will get the merge done. — billinghurst sDrewth 06:53, 8 June 2015 (UTC)
- Oh, you already have the request. :-) We will get to it. — billinghurst sDrewth 06:55, 8 June 2015 (UTC)
An apology from Willy on Wheels to WMF stewards
I would like to apologise to the stewards and wikipedia admins for my page-moves that was seen 2005-2008. I can tell you though, there were a lot of impostors, particularly some user called Sunholm, who is not me, but a wannabe (and a role account per their own confession on en.wiki)!).
Either way, I want to edit constructively on WMF projects. I've been doing so on non-WMF projects as it is; in any case, a mirror of Wikipedia with copies of articles like en:w:Mexican Canadian etc.
Willy on Wheels
- not up to me, as an individual, but to the community. You have no global ban so I don't see that you are necessarily restricted. — billinghurst sDrewth 22:23, 8 June 2015 (UTC)
- Well, if Meta would like to open a Request for comment on me, Willy on Wheels (who has been blocked numerous times, but not every on wheels account was mine), then please, feel free, open this to the wider community. It makes no sense for me to open an RfC on myself, does it?
- I would do page moves here, but only requested moves, and certainly not moving pages "on wheels" again.
- --WoW1b (talk) 22:58, 8 June 2015 (UTC)
- To expect anyone to lift a finger for you seems an interesting concept. I am sure others will see this conversation and work out if they want to do anything, I cannot say that it is where I am wishing to put my efforts at this time. Best of luck. You may consider whether you wish to email emWP's ArbCom and prostrate yourself before them with a humble apology. — billinghurst sDrewth 03:58, 9 June 2015 (UTC)
Request for help
I am requesting your view and guidance at at :mediawiki:Thread:Project:Support_desk/Whether_edit_filters_do_count_preview_actions.
- What I am trying to find out In brief:
- Edit action hits which are only flagged or tagged by a filter (but without warn or disallow) are usually (technically) are supposed to get saved. But prima facia we are coming across instances where in few such edits are not getting saved.
- Why I am trying to find out :
- If the 'edit filter extension' counts, 'user edit actions preceding of pressing save buttons (actions like preview action), then there remains a chance of Edit filters based on number of user edit actions or filters with rate limit may malfunction ocasionally.(nl wikipedia and mr wikipedia have reported some bugs as some edit filters may not be functioning as expected in this respect)
- At en wikipedia:
- I have listed few such likely instance at Wikipedia:Edit_filter/False_positives/Reports#Study_of_hits_and_false_positives. I need your support in administrative preview of listed instances to confirm that if any blacklisting or any other action might have stopped those edit actions from getting saved. If not then those can be usefull for further technical/bug study
If I can get your support then I can dig further to list more such instances at en wikipedia, and bring doubtfull hits to technical discussion and report at respective bugs wherever necessary. Secondly, I would likely to know, If you are aware of any discussion has already taken place at en wikipedia about above mentioned aspects.
Thanks and Regards
Mahitgar (He who knows ,wants to know and and loves to keep others informed) (talk) 03:18, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
- None of this is known to me "off the top of my head" and would involve me having to research, for which I don't currently have the availability. You maybe able to get answers from Glaisher or Hoo man who are more aware of the code. — billinghurst sDrewth 03:54, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
Note on actions I took in WP space on Ladino Wikipedia
None of the administrators there seems active right now, so I thought I'd contact you and mention a couple of things that I did, so you can make sure I did them correctly. (I'm contacting you because you appeared active there recently on some administrative actions.)
- At lad:Vikipedya:Administradores, the page hadn't been edited in nearly two years. The current list of administrators I got from SpecialPages was down to 3 (4, actually, but two seem to belong to the same account). So I moved all others to the section of former Administrators. I also renamed one administrator on the page, because he has long used the new name, and the old name is now just a redirect.
- I archived two very ancient candidacies for Administrator from lad:Vikipedya:Kandidaturas a Administrador to lad:Vikipedya:Kandidaturas antiguas a administrador. Since there was no closure recorded, I said so on the archive page. StevenJ81 (talk) 14:17, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
- @StevenJ81: Hmm activity of admins shows at https://tools.wmflabs.org/meta/stewardry/ladwiki?sysop=1&bureaucrat=1 and it does show quiescence, though not enough to trigger stewards taking action. There is no wrong action to take in that regard if nobody else has done it and it needs doing, so wouldn't fuss it particularly. — billinghurst sDrewth 14:48, 11 June 2015 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #162
Wikidata weekly summary #163
Shortcuts (regarding edit summaries)
- Have you tried "Special:Diff/xxxxx"? (mw:Extension:Diff and mw:Help:Diff) Otherwise if you are just after the text change you would be looking for the long url with Special:Permanentlink and look to append it with diffonly=yes (see mw:Manual:Parameters to index.php) — billinghurst sDrewth 00:50, 24 June 2015 (UTC)
Steward attention needed
|Hello, Billinghurst. Check your email—you've got mail!
INeverCry 04:28, 24 June 2015 (UTC)
the "Tatarnikòv Alexander" vandalism
- Done thanks for the note. — billinghurst sDrewth 22:11, 24 June 2015 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #164
As I mentioned above, I am trying to contribute to the Ladino (Djudeo-Espanyol) Wikipedia. As you saw when I was here before, it's a pretty quiet wiki. Over the course of the last month or so, I have tried to reach two out of the three administrators there. I have had no responses whatsoever. I have also tried to get some attention in the local lad:Vikipedya:Kafe. Unfortunately, that page is broken up into several subpages, and none of them really seem active. So I don't really even know where to go to try to get consensus, whatever that may mean in a small wiki like that.
Accordingly, I wanted to get your feedback about doing a few things. A couple of them actually require administrator rights. Other changes I am thinking of can be accomplished without that, but normally I would want to gain consensus first.
Requiring administrator rights
There are several different ways to spell Ladino, and each at least has a template that appears on the home page. Simply put, I would like to add the date on the Hebrew calendar to the secular date on these templates. I consider that to be appropriate, in that (a) Ladino is a Jewish language, and (b) both Hebrew Wikipedia and Yiddish Wikipedia refer to the Hebrew calendar date and the secular date on their home pages. I copy-pasted two of the five templates at lad:Usador:StevenJ81/sandbox so you can see my intention.
- I do intend to change the hyperlinks, because I just don't expect "day" articles, or even "month" articles, to be written very soon there (concerning either calendar). I thought I would simply link to "Gregorian calendar" and "Hebrew calendar" respectively.
- The question of how I would spell the months in each place is addressed below.
These require administrator rights because as main-page templates, they are protected. If you went and unprotected (or semi-protected) them for a day, I could take care of this. I would inform you as soon as I finish.
Not requiring administrator rights, just consensus
Separately, I hoped to import a Gregorian-Hebrew calendar template I have been working on elsewhere. (See en:Template:Today/CE/AM and its interwiki links. I didn't create it myself, but I have ported it from enwiki to simplewiki, hewiki, yiwiki, lawiki and frwiki.) One problem was that as I found things a few days ago, the transliterations for the Hebrew months had not been localized for ladwiki. I boldly made a couple of obvious changes (at translatewiki), and the transliterations there now are reasonable. See my sandbox for where things are now.
The truth is that I am not sure myself where to find absolutely definitive spellings for these (or Gregorian months) according to all four Latin-alphabet spelling schemes; in any event, though, I doubt they would vary all that greatly. I got the idea, though, to look at the Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia to see how they handled a dual-alphabet situation. I saw there that they simply put them both together, side by side with a slash in between. So I'd like to do that at the Ladino Wikipedia. I'd be very surprised if it breaks anything, and it would provide both a Latin alphabet version (more common these days) and a Hebrew alphabet version (more definitive, actually). I know how to do that at translatewiki, but just wanted to make sure you didn't think that was rash.
- Sidebar: I have to go back to Serbo-Croatian and change the Hebrew months to dual-alphabet, consistent with the secular months and days of the week. I can use what is there—Latin alphabet—and what is on the Serbian Wikipedia—Cyrillic alphabet—as definitive guides. I'm willing to be bold about that.
Two other things, possibly requiring phabricator tickets?
There are two other things I'd ask your advice on, but wonder if they actually need to go to the coders:
- If you set your language preference on any site to he or yi, then go to the place where you can choose a default time-and-date style, you are actually given a choice of the Hebrew calendar date as one of the options. If you set your language preference to lad, not only do you not get that, but you get none of the other, standard choices? Why?
- There are pages in ladwiki in the Latin alphabet, and pages in the Hebrew alphabet. But if you look at the pages in the Hebrew alphabet (like lad:אלזס), you'll see that most of them nevertheless left-align, rather than right-align. Is there a way for pages in the Hebrew alphabet to right-align automatically? (I could do subst:-able templates to do what someone did on lad:אסטרונומייה, but better if the server can do it automatically.)
- @StevenJ81: I know zero about the specifics about ladWP and the language lad, so I feel really uncomfortable having an opinion about specific matters. @MF-Warburg: who is more language astute and better in these areas.
If there are matters that require immediate admin changes, then the place to request those is Steward requests/Miscellaneous and the GS/Stewards will handle it there. For discussion of admin rights, if there is no specific page at ladWP, then utilise lad:Vikipedya:Kafe for any conversation, and in the end consensus in small wikis means that no one says "no" for a reasonable reason.
I will have a look at the remainder of the questions when I have time to pose reasoned answers. — billinghurst sDrewth 02:06, 30 June 2015 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #165
Request help or forward me to someone who could help in creating an edit filter that disallows repeated characters and other vandalism on edit summaries for Ilokano Wikipedia. Thanks. --Lam-ang (talk) 13:54, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- enWP is probably the biggest writer of filters and most likely already have something close to usable for you. I suggest that you look at w:en:Wikipedia:Edit filter and it's talk page. — billinghurst sDrewth 07:29, 6 July 2015 (UTC)