User talk:Quiddity (WMF)

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Afrikaans | العربية | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | Հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | Kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello, Quiddity (WMF). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 21:58, 26 September 2013 (UTC)

Staff list[edit]

Are you listed on wmf:Template:Staff_and_contractors? PiRSquared17 (talk) 20:55, 30 September 2013 (UTC)

Not yet, I was planning to do that in a few minutes. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:00, 30 September 2013 (UTC)

Hovercards - el-Wikipedia[edit]

Hi Quiddity. I am an admin in el-wikipedia. Your message to another admin[1] came into my attention. Hovercards have been discussed last month in the Greek Village Pump (Agora) in September el:Βικιπαίδεια:Αγορά/Αρχείο 2014/Σεπτέμβριος#Μόνιμη ενεργοποίηση των αναδυόμενων, as well as in June el:Βικιπαίδεια:Αγορά/Αρχείο 2014/Ιούνιος 1-15#Αιωρούμενες κάρτες. The outcome of the discussion is that:

  • there is no objection in having the hover cards features pre-selected for all users
  • there is a request for a delay of appearance of the content (indicatively +0,2 sec - others talk about seconds) (apparently some users find the current reaction time too fast)

Regards from el-wikipedia.
Please reply to the el-village pump (el:Βικιπαίδεια:Αγορά). --FocalPoint (talk) 08:46, 5 October 2014 (UTC)


Hi! Great news about Hovercards! I did the translation at User:Quiddity (WMF)/Hovercards trial/el. I have left out the mention of Navigation Popups, we don't have it as gadget in el.wikipedia. I calculated that only 7 active users have it as a script in their common.js and I believe the ones that have it in their global.js are a lot less. Apparently these users will know what to do, so I believe it's better not to bother the rest of the users and readers with something they are not aware of. -Geraki TL 15:24, 2 March 2015 (UTC)

Hi there. Greek Wikipedia community has decided that we want the hovercards active for all users as a default, before autumn of 2014, as FocalPoint states above. Geraki is the only one who opposes to that decision ever since and the only one who has the knowlegde to enable it and he strongly opposes saying that Wikipedia is sometimes designed to be used by completely idiots navigating it and that he stands for users that really use it for deep knowledge. I run Wikipedia School for Wikipedia writers in Athens, Greece and every one of my students has hovercards enabled, they choose to. It is a feature new users always love and in all the years I have been lecturing in favor of Wikipedia I did have an everlasting complaint from Greek readers that they had to chaotically open many windows in order to be able to understand an article and that this was very confusing and let them pretty soon out of focus, before this. We, as a community, have also decided to provide User:P.a.a with Interface Editor rights to have an alternative in all cases Geraki decides he does not like something the community does, but he is the only active bureaucrat, so this is also paused from December 2014. Please help.--ManosHacker (talk) 03:09, 13 March 2015 (UTC)

ManosHacker: Hi there. I think there must be some confusion - Geraki is the person who asked us to enable Hovercards at elwiki, in this email reply! (Perhaps he personally disagrees with it? If so, he's still spending significant time to help the community-consensus be done. :)
Regardless of that, Hovercards is indeed coming to elwiki, and as soon as possible. As the messaging says, that Geraki translated at User:Quiddity (WMF)/Hovercards trial/el, it will be turned on for everyone as soon as the last crucial bits of code are written and reviewed.
Sorry it hasn't been sooner, but every small delay gives time for another bug to be fixed or feature added. :)
Hope that helps! Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 03:57, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
Hi Quiddity (WMF). Just read above what he suggests. We have also decided for an estimate of a 0.2 seconds delay for enabling it, please consider. Regards, ManosHacker (talk) 04:12, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
I read again and again and maybe I am missimg something technical that makes me get the wrong picture. It's been quite long since we had any answer from Geraki on this, despite we ask for it from time to time. Sorry for the inconvenience, since the tool is to be enabled.--ManosHacker (talk) 12:39, 13 March 2015 (UTC)


Please don't bother Quiddity, the above is a response to his block after his previous personal attack. ManosHacker, please don't make collages from out of context discussions such as about the naming of articles about governments to advance your point. :-) Geraki TL 12:58, 13 March 2015 (UTC)

Ontopic and onpoint, if you care for Wikipedia and Geraki impact just read this from the village pump:

There are tenths of examples on Geraki impact, just make sure we have the hovercards enabled for all and we will wait for interface editor rights to solve the rest. I rest here.--ManosHacker (talk) 12:35, 14 March 2015 (UTC)

Notice to el-wikipedia[edit]

Please note that in your message, the link to the survey does not work.

See

Κάνουμε μια μικρή τροποποίηση στις Αιωρούμενες Κάρτες κατά τη διάρκεια της δοκιμής ώστε να περιλαμβάνει μια σύνδεση σε μια σύντομη έρευνα

--FocalPoint (talk) 19:00, 12 April 2015 (UTC)

@FocalPoint: Hi, the survey link that I included, is just meant to be a preview for regular editors to glance at in order to know what is coming, it is not the active survey. Perhaps that is confusing, and we should remove the link from the announcement? Please edit freely! I'm going to an airport soon, and will not be able to reply after this, for a day or so.
Also, I meant to mention the Hovercards open/close time-delay, that had previously been discussed. The developers working on Hovercards have requested that the El-wiki not change the site-wide default, because that will alter the data obtained from analytics, and therefor it would make the research either more complicated, or less useful. Instead, they recommend that editors who individually wish to override the defaults, should use the personal user.css config that is described at mw:Extension:Popups#Show.2Fhide_timing. Could you either tell me where to post that message, or perhaps translate it and place it wherever most appropriate?
Thanks again. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:08, 12 April 2015 (UTC)

I understand that you were in a hurry, so you did not realize that the link was not working. I looked at it again, and there was a space missing (I am correcting it here as well as in Agora in el-wiki). I will translate your comment about defaults etc. --FocalPoint (talk) 19:51, 14 April 2015 (UTC)

Done. Kalo apogevma (have a nice afternoon). --FocalPoint (talk) 20:09, 14 April 2015 (UTC)

Community Engagement (Product)/Process ideas[edit]

I see that you were the last member of staff to edit this, nearly two months ago. Do you or anyone else plan any further work on this page? If not, perhaps someone could formally close it down and say what, if anything, has been or will be done with the results. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:23, 24 September 2015 (UTC)

Yes, I/we do plan to work on it more. There are just many (so many) other tasks that have (slightly or greatly) more priority or urgency. Thanks for the nudge though. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:31, 24 September 2015 (UTC)
At the present rate of progress it will take you colleagues at least two years to complete. I think it fair to say that before the end of that time the value of the results will have declined to pretty near zero. If you do not have the resources to complete this task before that happens, then I suggest that you bite the bullet, declare it defunct and devote the effort instead to analysing why it did not succeed and developing lessons on how not to keep on repeating the same pattern of ineffectivity. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:40, 24 September 2015 (UTC)

Post moves[edit]

Thanks for cleaning after Flow bugs, but I'm not interested in having my messages moved to Flow posts. Please instead move it to a wikitext page. Nemo 20:19, 5 November 2015 (UTC)

I've changed the note, into a pointer to your other comment. Hope that works. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:50, 5 November 2015 (UTC)

Don't delete redirects[edit]

Re mw:Talk:WMF Product Development Process. Nemo 20:23, 5 November 2015 (UTC)

Fixed, thanks, sorry. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:42, 5 November 2015 (UTC)
Thanks! Nemo 08:37, 7 November 2015 (UTC)

Link problem![edit]

Hey, there!

I finished doing the translation, but there's a wrong link in the first page

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Community_consultation/es

This one: Ir al área temática 1: "Alcance"... goes to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Reach (the english version).

All the other pages are correctly linked.

This one: Ir al área siguiente: "Comunidades"... goes right to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/2016_Strategy/Communities/es (<--here is the language) as the next one (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Knowledge/es) also does.

But i can't seem to edit any link. I'll appreciate if you might fix it.

Thank you in advance!

--Dportak (talk) 01:39, 3 February 2016 (UTC)

@Dportak: I think this edit should have fixed it. Please let me know if it doesn't. (You might need to bypass your browser cache). Thanks :-) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 18:46, 3 February 2016 (UTC)

It is fixed! Thank you... --Dportak (talk) 21:12, 4 February 2016 (UTC)

Hey! Another issue... This page https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?action=edit&preload=Template:StrategyButton2016/preload/Reach/es&editintro=Template:StrategyButton2016/editintro/Reach/es&summary=Posting+my+thoughts+on+the+strategic+question&preloadparams%5b%5d=REVISIONUSER&section=new&preloadtitle=Dportak&title=Talk:2016_Strategy/Reach

leads to an automatic translation, but i can't seem to be able to edit it to make it fit mine.

Thanks! --Dportak (talk) 21:25, 4 February 2016 (UTC)

@Dportak: Hi, do you mean the content above the edit-window? (That is coming from Template:StrategyButton2016/editintro/Reach/es). If not, (and if you can't find it with the link below), please tell me which text you mean (just copy&paste the first few words, so that I can identify which part of the screen you mean!)
The full list of all the parts, with links, is at 2016 Strategy/Translations, in case that helps. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 01:16, 5 February 2016 (UTC)

Hi[edit]

Hi. I've reverted this edit on your page as it came from an anon. contributor which also broke your page. If it was you, my apologies, but don't forget to log-in next time :-) Best regards, —MarcoAurelio 10:38, 7 June 2016 (UTC)

That was not me (I was fast asleep), thanks for the revert. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 15:50, 7 June 2016 (UTC)

Mbox to Ambox[edit]

Hello. I don't understand the reasoning behind changing the style of some templates that used mbox to ambox. Those templates can be used on other namespaces apart from the main namespace, and mbox has autonamespace detection. Best regards, —MarcoAurelio 13:23, 13 August 2016 (UTC)

Hmm, you're right, I was mistaken or confused (A few templates were using custom style overrides, which is possibly what confused me). Thanks for pointing that out, I will revert/fix. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:50, 13 August 2016 (UTC)

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:43, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[edit]

05:02, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

Flow bot[edit]

Dear Quiddity,

while going through the nl.wikipedia list of bot users for an activity review, I came upon the following Flow related bot account: [2]. The name translates to "Userpagemanagement for flow". I noticed this account because it does not have a userpage, as is required by local and global bot policy. On a second check I found it is a localised account, while all accounts should be global. Finally, I could not find any logs that indicate how this account got its userrights. As such I came to you, as a flow community liaison. I hope you can shine some light on the matter.

I would like to know if the account is functioning and needed. If yes, please make it into a global account and create a user page. If it is not needed, I would like to remove its userrights.

Please note there is also another flow related bot account on nl.wikipedia [3]. There are no issues with this account.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely, Taketa (talk) 08:19, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

@Taketa: (Replying since Taketa also asked on IRC to see if other team members were available): These are internal accounts handled by the software. Previously, the name of this account was localized (into Dutch and other languages). "Overlegpaginabeheer voor Flow" should be the username for that. Now, the name is always in English, so it is the same cross-wiki ("Flow talk page manager"). So you can remove the rights from "Overlegpaginabeheer voor Flow" if you want. Mattflaschen-WMF (talk) 13:59, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)[edit]

19:30, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Translation of Turkish Strategy comments[edit]

Hi Quiddity! i did make the translations of Turkish comments at Survey collectors page. Let me share that it's clear that 132-133-134-135-136 were written by the same person and actually every statement is not one summary statement but rather they were thought like the parts of a text. Later, the user also shared the same text within our email group for strategy discussion and i had put written one summary statement here: Sources page, line 2 So maybe you may want to put only one statement into consideration--Basak (talk) 22:33, 13 June 2017 (UTC)
@Basak: Perfect, thank you for that work, and the context. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 22:51, 13 June 2017 (UTC)

Do we change double byte punctuation to comma in graphs?[edit]

Quiddity, hi, your edits including this looks odd to me. I have reverted one you edited 3 hours back (Cycle 1?), then found it needs to be clarified before it gets too complicated. We usually don't apply comma in ja sentences, with the exceptions of accademic theses. Any standards/kind of rules I have missed? ----Omotecho (talk) 19:46, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

(Note for onlookers: We posted at each other's talkpages at the same time: further details at User talk:Omotecho#Commas for graph support) --Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:34, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

About Cycle 3, Week 2 Challenge[edit]

I told Szymon that local wikis, including English Wikipedia, may be unaware about Challenge #2, oral knowledge. What to do about it? --George Ho (talk) 00:47, 11 July 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for the note. Different communities and groups are progressing/updating at different speeds. However I'll send out some reminder notices, to previous Enwiki participants, and other group communication channels, later today. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 17:39, 11 July 2017 (UTC)

Indonesia Salon Meeting[edit]

Hello Quiddity, could you please add this information into this page. I'm not sure if I'm allowed or not to add the information. Terima kasih (thank you) --Beeyan (talk) 06:47, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

@Beeyan: Done! Thanks. (Yes you could have added it, but the translate-markup makes things complicated, so I'm happy to help. Plus it gave me a reminder to sort the list chronologically. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 19:19, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Update regarding Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons tutorial videos[edit]

Hello,

I regret to inform you that the series of motivational and educational videos project, which had been planned introduce Wikipedia and some of its sister projects to new contributors, is being discontinued.

There are multiple factors that have led to this decision. The initial budget and time estimates were far too small for a project of this scale and complexity. Also, my simultaneous involvement in Cascadia Wikimedians User Group was problematic due to the shortage of human resources for the user group, which resulted in my spending far more time trying to help the user group than I had planned, so my time and attention were diverted from this video project to assisting the user group.

You can find more information in the final report for the grant.

I regret that this project did not fulfill the hopes that many of us had for it, and I hope that in the future someone with the necessary resources will choose to resume work on it or a similar project. If you are interested in working on this or a similar project then please contact the WMF grants team.

On a personal note, I am retiring from the Wikimedia community. Perhaps I will return someday.

Regards,

--Pine 23:20, 30 August 2017 (UTC)

Series director and screenwriter

Structured Commons newsletter, October 25, 2017[edit]

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Presentations / Press / Events
Audience at Structured Commons design discussion, Wikimania 2017
Team updates
The Structured Commons team at Wikimania 2017

Two new people have been hired for the Structured Data on Commons team. We are now complete! :-)

  • Ramsey Isler is the new Product Manager of the Multimedia team.
  • Pamela Drouin was hired as User Interface Designer. She works at the Multimedia team as well, and her work will focus on the Structured Commons project.
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
Research

Design research is ongoing.

  • Jonathan Morgan and Niharika Ved have held interviews with various GLAM staff about their batch upload workflows and will finish and report on these in this quarter. (phabricator task T159495)
  • At this moment, there is also an online survey for GLAM staff, Wikimedians in Residence, and GLAM volunteers who upload media collections to Wikimedia Commons. The results will be used to understand how we can improve this experience. (phabricator task T175188)
  • Upcoming: interviews with Wikimedia volunteers who curate media on Commons (including tool developers), talking about activities and workflows. (phabricator task T175185)
Development

In Autumn 2017, the Structured Commons development team works on the following major tasks (see also the quarterly goals for the team):

  • Getting Multi-Content Revisions sufficiently ready, so that the Multimedia and Search Platform teams can start using it to test and prototype things.
  • Determine metrics and metrics baseline for Commons (phabricator task T174519).
  • The multimedia team at WMF is gaining expertise in Wikibase, and unblocking further development for Structured Commons, by completing the MediaInfo extension for Wikibase.
Stay up to date!

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 14:26, 25 October 2017 (UTC)