User talk:Quiddity (WMF)
- Not yet, I was planning to do that in a few minutes. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:00, 30 September 2013 (UTC)
Hovercards - el-Wikipedia
Hi Quiddity. I am an admin in el-wikipedia. Your message to another admin came into my attention. Hovercards have been discussed last month in the Greek Village Pump (Agora) in September el:Βικιπαίδεια:Αγορά/Αρχείο 2014/Σεπτέμβριος#Μόνιμη ενεργοποίηση των αναδυόμενων, as well as in June el:Βικιπαίδεια:Αγορά/Αρχείο 2014/Ιούνιος 1-15#Αιωρούμενες κάρτες. The outcome of the discussion is that:
- there is no objection in having the hover cards features pre-selected for all users
- there is a request for a delay of appearance of the content (indicatively +0,2 sec - others talk about seconds) (apparently some users find the current reaction time too fast)
Hi! Great news about Hovercards! I did the translation at User:Quiddity (WMF)/Hovercards trial/el. I have left out the mention of Navigation Popups, we don't have it as gadget in el.wikipedia. I calculated that only 7 active users have it as a script in their common.js and I believe the ones that have it in their global.js are a lot less. Apparently these users will know what to do, so I believe it's better not to bother the rest of the users and readers with something they are not aware of. -Geraki TL 15:24, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
Hi there. Greek Wikipedia community has decided that we want the hovercards active for all users as a default, before autumn of 2014, as FocalPoint states above. Geraki is the only one who opposes to that decision ever since and the only one who has the knowlegde to enable it and he strongly opposes saying that Wikipedia is sometimes designed to be used by completely idiots navigating it and that he stands for users that really use it for deep knowledge. I run Wikipedia School for Wikipedia writers in Athens, Greece and every one of my students has hovercards enabled, they choose to. It is a feature new users always love and in all the years I have been lecturing in favor of Wikipedia I did have an everlasting complaint from Greek readers that they had to chaotically open many windows in order to be able to understand an article and that this was very confusing and let them pretty soon out of focus, before this. We, as a community, have also decided to provide User:P.a.a with Interface Editor rights to have an alternative in all cases Geraki decides he does not like something the community does, but he is the only active bureaucrat, so this is also paused from December 2014. Please help.--ManosHacker (talk) 03:09, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- ManosHacker: Hi there. I think there must be some confusion - Geraki is the person who asked us to enable Hovercards at elwiki, in this email reply! (Perhaps he personally disagrees with it? If so, he's still spending significant time to help the community-consensus be done. :)
- Regardless of that, Hovercards is indeed coming to elwiki, and as soon as possible. As the messaging says, that Geraki translated at User:Quiddity (WMF)/Hovercards trial/el, it will be turned on for everyone as soon as the last crucial bits of code are written and reviewed.
- Sorry it hasn't been sooner, but every small delay gives time for another bug to be fixed or feature added. :)
- Hope that helps! Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 03:57, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- I read again and again and maybe I am missimg something technical that makes me get the wrong picture. It's been quite long since we had any answer from Geraki on this, despite we ask for it from time to time. Sorry for the inconvenience, since the tool is to be enabled.--ManosHacker (talk) 12:39, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
Please don't bother Quiddity, the above is a response to his block after his previous personal attack. ManosHacker, please don't make collages from out of context discussions such as about the naming of articles about governments to advance your point. :-) Geraki TL 12:58, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
Ontopic and onpoint, if you care for Wikipedia and Geraki impact just read this from the village pump:
Κι εμένα με βοηθά να βάζω στο κινητό τις καταχωρήσεις των προσώπων μαζί με 11Φ στο τέλος για να μου αποτυπώνονται τα γενέθλια που θα είχε κάποιος σήμερα. Πράγματι με βοηθά πολύ. Στη Βικιπαίδεια όμως οι τίτλοι απλοποιούνται. Αρκεί να εφαρμόσουμε τις αιωρούμενες κάρτες ως προεπιλογή, κάτι που η κοινότητα έχει αποφασίσει και το meta έχει επισημάνει από τον Οκτώβρη πως πρέπει να ενεργοποιηθεί. Συν να εμφανίζονται οι αιωρούμενες κάρτες στα hover του πλαισίου αναζήτησης. Βέβαια δεν δόθηκαν ακόμα τα δικαιώματα Interface_editor στον P.a.a για να μας το ενεργοποιήσει. ManosHacker 21:31, 11 Φεβρουαρίου 2015 (UTC)
Πιστεύω ότι η σύμβαση της προσθήκης έτους στα λήμματα των κυβερνήσεων είναι ιδιαίτερα διαφωτιστική και δίνει εύκολα την ιστορική διάσταση, αντίθετα με το ανούσιο ενός καταλόγου ονομάτων από τα οποία τα πιο πρόσφατα μεν είναι πασίγνωστα, αλλά μετά από χρόνια χάνουν τη σημασία τους. Προτείνω τη διατήρηση των χρονολογιών. --Focal Point 07:43, 14 Φεβρουαρίου 2015 (UTC)
There are tenths of examples on Geraki impact, just make sure we have the hovercards enabled for all and we will wait for interface editor rights to solve the rest. I rest here.--ManosHacker (talk) 12:35, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
Notice to el-wikipedia
Please note that in your message, the link to the survey does not work.
Κάνουμε μια μικρή τροποποίηση στις Αιωρούμενες Κάρτες κατά τη διάρκεια της δοκιμής ώστε να περιλαμβάνει μια σύνδεση σε μια σύντομη έρευνα
- @FocalPoint: Hi, the survey link that I included, is just meant to be a preview for regular editors to glance at in order to know what is coming, it is not the active survey. Perhaps that is confusing, and we should remove the link from the announcement? Please edit freely! I'm going to an airport soon, and will not be able to reply after this, for a day or so.
- Also, I meant to mention the Hovercards open/close time-delay, that had previously been discussed. The developers working on Hovercards have requested that the El-wiki not change the site-wide default, because that will alter the data obtained from analytics, and therefor it would make the research either more complicated, or less useful. Instead, they recommend that editors who individually wish to override the defaults, should use the personal user.css config that is described at mw:Extension:Popups#Show.2Fhide_timing. Could you either tell me where to post that message, or perhaps translate it and place it wherever most appropriate?
- Thanks again. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:08, 12 April 2015 (UTC)
I understand that you were in a hurry, so you did not realize that the link was not working. I looked at it again, and there was a space missing (I am correcting it here as well as in Agora in el-wiki). I will translate your comment about defaults etc. --FocalPoint (talk) 19:51, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
I see that you were the last member of staff to edit this, nearly two months ago. Do you or anyone else plan any further work on this page? If not, perhaps someone could formally close it down and say what, if anything, has been or will be done with the results. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:23, 24 September 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, I/we do plan to work on it more. There are just many (so many) other tasks that have (slightly or greatly) more priority or urgency. Thanks for the nudge though. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:31, 24 September 2015 (UTC)
- At the present rate of progress it will take you colleagues at least two years to complete. I think it fair to say that before the end of that time the value of the results will have declined to pretty near zero. If you do not have the resources to complete this task before that happens, then I suggest that you bite the bullet, declare it defunct and devote the effort instead to analysing why it did not succeed and developing lessons on how not to keep on repeating the same pattern of ineffectivity. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:40, 24 September 2015 (UTC)
- I've changed the note, into a pointer to your other comment. Hope that works. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:50, 5 November 2015 (UTC)
- Fixed, thanks, sorry. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:42, 5 November 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks! Nemo 08:37, 7 November 2015 (UTC)
I finished doing the translation, but there's a wrong link in the first page
This one: Ir al área temática 1: "Alcance"... goes to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Reach (the english version).
All the other pages are correctly linked.
This one: Ir al área siguiente: "Comunidades"... goes right to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/2016_Strategy/Communities/es (<--here is the language) as the next one (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Knowledge/es) also does.
But i can't seem to edit any link. I'll appreciate if you might fix it.
Thank you in advance!
- @Dportak: I think this edit should have fixed it. Please let me know if it doesn't. (You might need to bypass your browser cache). Thanks :-) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 18:46, 3 February 2016 (UTC)
Hey! Another issue... This page https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?action=edit&preload=Template:StrategyButton2016/preload/Reach/es&editintro=Template:StrategyButton2016/editintro/Reach/es&summary=Posting+my+thoughts+on+the+strategic+question&preloadparams%5b%5d=REVISIONUSER§ion=new&preloadtitle=Dportak&title=Talk:2016_Strategy/Reach
leads to an automatic translation, but i can't seem to be able to edit it to make it fit mine.
- @Dportak: Hi, do you mean the content above the edit-window? (That is coming from Template:StrategyButton2016/editintro/Reach/es). If not, (and if you can't find it with the link below), please tell me which text you mean (just copy&paste the first few words, so that I can identify which part of the screen you mean!)
- The full list of all the parts, with links, is at 2016 Strategy/Translations, in case that helps. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 01:16, 5 February 2016 (UTC)
Hi. I've reverted this edit on your page as it came from an anon. contributor which also broke your page. If it was you, my apologies, but don't forget to log-in next time :-) Best regards, —MarcoAurelio 10:38, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
- That was not me (I was fast asleep), thanks for the revert. :) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 15:50, 7 June 2016 (UTC)
Mbox to Ambox
Hello. I don't understand the reasoning behind changing the style of some templates that used mbox to ambox. Those templates can be used on other namespaces apart from the main namespace, and mbox has autonamespace detection. Best regards, —MarcoAurelio 13:23, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- Hmm, you're right, I was mistaken or confused (A few templates were using custom style overrides, which is possibly what confused me). Thanks for pointing that out, I will revert/fix. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 21:50, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:
- Update 7 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (16 February 2017)
- Development of documentation for Tracks A & B
- Update 8 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (24 February 2017)
- Introduction of Track Leads for all four audience tracks
- Update 9 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 March 2017)
- Seeking feedback on documents being used to help facilitate upcoming community discussions
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
05:02, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
while going through the nl.wikipedia list of bot users for an activity review, I came upon the following Flow related bot account: . The name translates to "Userpagemanagement for flow". I noticed this account because it does not have a userpage, as is required by local and global bot policy. On a second check I found it is a localised account, while all accounts should be global. Finally, I could not find any logs that indicate how this account got its userrights. As such I came to you, as a flow community liaison. I hope you can shine some light on the matter.
I would like to know if the account is functioning and needed. If yes, please make it into a global account and create a user page. If it is not needed, I would like to remove its userrights.
Please note there is also another flow related bot account on nl.wikipedia . There are no issues with this account.
I look forward to your response.
- @Taketa: (Replying since Taketa also asked on IRC to see if other team members were available): These are internal accounts handled by the software. Previously, the name of this account was localized (into Dutch and other languages). "Overlegpaginabeheer voor Flow" should be the username for that. Now, the name is always in English, so it is the same cross-wiki ("Flow talk page manager"). So you can remove the rights from "Overlegpaginabeheer voor Flow" if you want. Mattflaschen-WMF (talk) 13:59, 20 March 2017 (UTC)