|←Discussion pages||Babylon talk page||Archives→|
|Welcome to the Babylon talk page! This place is dedicated to discussions about all the translations-related issues here on Meta-Wiki.
EuAlexandre Ice queria pedir aulas sobre como criar e editar um documento na wikipédia para eu poder partilhar algum conhecimento.
Problems with translations - examples
Translation of Wikipedia pages creates problems:
- Preservation of obsolete content or name.
- fr:Expulsion des Allemands d'Europe de l'Est, according to fr:Discussion:Expulsion des Allemands d'Europe de l'Est the basic text was translated in 2006 and additions in 2010. The basic English article en:Flight and expulsion of Germans (1944–50) has been rewritten since 2006, its name hase been changed. The word Vertreibung (English Expulsion, French Expulsion was used in German cold war propaganda. The recent German name of the subject is Flucht und Vertreibung (English Flight and expulsion)
- dk:Fordrivelsen af tyskere efter 2. verdenskrig was translated from English in 2009 (no such information on the Talk page), the old name has been preserved. The article is regarded as good (lovende), even if it's obsolete and contains many red links.
- sh:Progon Nijemaca nakon Drugog svjetskog rata was translated from hr:Progon Nijemaca nakon Drugog svjetskog rata in 2012 (no such information on the Talk page).
- Dissemination of errors
- ru:Депортация немцев после Второй мировой войны contains erroneus list of areas and groups, eg. Silesia in Poland (several regions should be added) or Transylvanian Saxons from Hungary (Transylvania is in Romania). The article was translated to be:Дэпартацыя немцаў пасля Другой сусветнай вайны preserving the errors.
- There is no tool or place to coordinate translations. Many Wikipedias demand good knowledge of their langauges to participate in any discussion and reject English language critics. The frequent answer is "you don't speak our langauge, so go away". There exists however difference between passive knowledge, eg. understanding of simple texts, numbers or maps and active knowledge. Xx236 (talk) 09:37, 1 August 2016 (UTC)
Dealing with tables with the translation tool
I've just started to translate a couple of pages (Subpages and Formulae) and I noticed that using the translation tool some of the tables can not be acessed. I'm just starting to grasp how it works (with these translate tags I guess...) but the point is that since my entry point is the translation tool I'm missing access to some tables which headres should be translated. For instance, I can get to the table located at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Displaying_a_formula/es#TeX_y_HTML using the translation tool. As a result I can't translate the headers. --Miguel.covas (talk) 10:50, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
- This help page is a mess and it was tagged in a very simplistic way, that's why. I added tags for those 4 table headers but much more work would be needed (ideally, on mediawiki.org, so that we can deprecate this help page here). Nemo 11:35, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
- Ok thanks anyway. It happens I have a good deal of users still using this old approach to typesetting formulae, thus I found worthwile to update the page. As a matter of fact I use to write docs using LaTeX so I'm somewhat fond of those PNG. In any case, for the sake of improving the translation tool I must note that while I've translated some sections (namely Pros of TeX) I'm unable to see the translation in the final page. Some translations end up there. Others like that one remain in English. I end up storing the translated sections in my computer because I had to start over several times. Again, I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't understand what...--Miguel.covas (talk) 21:25, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
Request for more translations
Commons:File renaming/Global replace is an 'information' page on Commons that is linked across all WMF wikis in edit summaries, whenever a file is renamed on Commons. It currently has only been translated into 4 languages other than English. It would probably be a good idea if it could be translated into more languages, though I am uncertain how to actually request it in a 'formal' way. It's in no way urgent, but would probably be a good idea.... it's quite possibly one of the most widely-linked pages on the entire project. Thanks. Revent (talk) 06:03, 8 August 2016 (UTC)
- @Revent, thanks for this notify. I added one translation. But most translations are incomplete: Russian 10 %, Hindi 65 %, German 70 %, Spanish 90 %, Esperanto 100 %; so, there is just one complete translation. However, the problem is not very big: learning English is difficult, but learning Esperanto is easy (you are welcomed, too). Gamliel Fishkin 03:40, 16 August 2016 (UTC)