|←Discussion pages||Babylon talk page||Archives→|
|Welcome to the Babylon talk page! This place is dedicated to discussions about all the translations-related issues here on Meta-Wiki.
- 1 Starting
- 2 Dúvidas
- 3 Translated page not updated
- 4 Do you transcribe "Wikimedia specific nouns" into your writing system?
- 5 Hi
- 6 Question concerning reverting translations
- 7 Random English text in Korean notice template
- 8 Editing translation of the week
- 9 Need German translation please
- 10 Needing respective translators to post notifications in local wikis
Hi! I'm from Spain, I can speak Catalan, Spanish and English, but I don't know which is the procedure that I need to follow to translate an article. Can I take any article that I like and translate it? Or I need to tell someone about it? I'm so confused! For example: one of the traduction of the week is The Yellow Wallpaper. I think that nobody traduced it to Catalan. Can I take the article and traduced? Or I need to say it to the META community? Thank you very much, and I'm sorry if I do something incorrect!
EuAlexandre Ice queria pedir aulas sobre como criar e editar um documento na wikipédia para eu poder partilhar algum conhecimento.
Translated page not updated
Hello, I remarks that Category:Wikimedia_Belgium/fr still have an old category Category:Proposed_Wikimedia_chapters modified in his source Category:Wikimedia Belgium one year ago. I tried to update the source page to see if the translated page will be updated without success. Can someone help ? Thanks. Jona (talk) 12:12, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- The page had not been marked for translation yet; done now. Translation admins can check bolded pages at Special:PageTranslation to find more category pages which have been updated since their last marking. --Nemo 13:26, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
Do you transcribe "Wikimedia specific nouns" into your writing system?
Hello, fellow translators, I'm just curious how you handle nouns including "Wikimedia", "Metawiki" and such in your translation? Do you transcribe them into your local spelling system, or in my case "ウィキメディア" "メディアウィキ" etc.? Do you leave them as is and just use them as in English into your translation like in my language case such as "Winimediaでは", "Metawikiについて"? Is there any concensus? Thank you for your thoughts, and sorry if I missed similar question among Archives. ----Omotecho (talk) 01:50, 6 May 2017 (UTC)
- I think it is also right to translate the names of the projects, so as to facilitate their understanding for the native speakers of that language. Although in cases where there are no exact translations for that language, the denomination in English would be preferred. —Alvaro Molina (✉ - ✔) 02:38, 6 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hi, AlvaroMolina, do you think so, too? Too bad that building concensus is hard in a free knowledge source as Wikimenia projects... my only reference is Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not translated into Japanese. Thank you as you replied me promptly. Regards, ----Omotecho (talk) 20:24, 6 May 2017 (UTC)
Question concerning reverting translations
Hi all, Some of my translations are being reverted though the update I made to the translation was required because of FuzzyBot additions to the source segment. My question is: Is it a good practice to revert translations instead of updating them? I have contacted the reverter concerning his action and he is still reverting. HaythamAbulela 02:51, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- As User:FuzzyBot, "he" is not reverting anything, the translation admins are. FuzzyBot is only applying the instructions. If you feel an old translation should have been kept as is, you can ask the translation admins to check the "do not invalidate translations" checkboxes. --Nemo 09:05, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- Sorry for the confusion. My issue is not with FuzzyBot edits. I am aware that FuzzyBot is a bot that is used by translation administrators to update source segments in translated pages to reflect the changes effected on source pages and mark the translated segments as outdated or need updating. I am referring to it to clarify why I have updated the translation, which is to reflect the changes made to the source segment, not simply changing the wording of the translation to suit my style. An example will clarify the situation. This is the reversion I have contacted the reverter about: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Strategy%2FWikimedia_movement%2F2017%2Far&type=revision&diff=16375828&oldid=16374000. My question is: Is it a good practice to revert translations instead of updating them? --HaythamAbulela 12:56, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
Random English text in Korean notice template
On the Korean Wikipedia, this is showing up to link to the 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy process: http://i.imgur.com/z3vdeDF.jpg (Didn't upload to Commons because I wasn't sure the text wasn't copyrighted). --Brainy J (talk) 17:12, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
Editing translation of the week
Hello, I was wondering if anyone who knows Dutch to a high level would be willing to edit my translation. I would love to get some feedback in order to keep learning the finer points of this language. Thanks!
Need German translation please
Hi. I need a German interpreter please. I created and then transcluded de:Wikipedia:Projektdiskussion/Interwiki search results from sister projects now active (need translation please) at de:Wikipedia:Projektdiskussion to notify the community about cross-wiki search results. Thanks. --George Ho (talk) 17:22, 26 June 2017 (UTC)
- Bist Du die IP? Ich würde das ein wenig anders formulieren.
- And one question to George Ho: Should we replace your message or add it? And should we write it to some better suited places in deWP, like Kurier as well, or keep it there? Grüße vom Sänger ♫(Reden) 17:48, 26 June 2017 (UTC)
- Leave de:Wikipedia:Projektdiskussion/Suchergebnisse von Schwesterprojekten sind jetzt verfügbar remaining, Sänger. Meanwhile, you can spread the message elsewhere if you wish please. Thanks... or Danke. --George Ho (talk) 17:54, 26 June 2017 (UTC)
Needing respective translators to post notifications in local wikis
I posted a suggestion at Wikimedia Forum#Search results from sister projects enabled in all Wikipedias of needing individual translators to post notifications about crosswiki search results. I already posted notifications at Spanish and German Wikipedia sites with help of translators. I posted English notifications at Chinese and Japanese Wikipedia sites needing translations. I think more are needed. --George Ho (talk) 20:43, 26 June 2017 (UTC)