|←Discussion pages||Babylon talk page||Archives→|
| Welcome to the Babylon talk page! This place is dedicated to discussions about all the translations-related issues here on Meta-Wiki.
Temporary solution: "Translate does not update content page when saving units"
- @Eihel: There are some issues with this explanation:
- Grey tabs don’t mean the translation doesn’t exist. They simply mean they are not active at the moment. Compare https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Help:RevisionDelete&language=de (existing) with https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Help:RevisionDelete&language=bar (non-existing).
- The old editor is quite different from what you present: there is no “Publish changes…” button—the edit summary can be entered using the same form as the page text; and there is no need to enter dummy text, the “Publish changes” button is active immediately.
- But there is no need to use the wiki editor in the first place: the type-and-delete trick works right on the translate interface as well.
- And this workaround is not only for new pages: the bug is (was?) present on existing pages, where the same workaround applies.
- —Tacsipacsi (talk) 20:09, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- Hello @Tacsipacsi:,
- Thank you for the gray text: you are right.
- The problem was for each language that was not present in the language banner and you had to open the wiki page to display the Help page:RevisionDelete/xx (or any other page in the desired language). Whether or not translated messages did not change anything. This is also what you advised on Wikidata:Translators' noticeboard: you had to have a wiki page (on any editor). Of course, it was not necessary to translate, but you had to have the wiki page to have the language available in the banner (and therefore the entire translation page). I was facing this problem. I don't write that the problem was only about the new pages.
Apparently the problem seems solved on Mediawiki, Wikidata and Meta with the changes on gerrit.I recorded Turkish, Dutch and French versions without dummy modification on the wikis mentioned. I therefore request the deletion of image files. Thank you for the feedback. —Eihel (talk) 01:51, 17 October 2019 (UTC)
- Hello @Tacsipacsi:,
Updated statistics should be auto-filled/-changed in each localized page
As translating Wikivoyage pages and if it contains ever changing figures such as page count versus languages, could we apply some wisdom and autofill the latest figures, so that translators need not manually c&p figures, if no meaningful update other than that? We would reduce chances of errors. But who decides /would be responsible when to tweak -> push for updating numbers? Is there any regular calendar as such to overhaul annual statistics reflected on each page? (I guess the sample is not the best.) --Omotecho (talk) 12:44, 25 October 2019 (UTC)
- This is a wiki and we're volunteers, so no, of course there is nobody in charge nor a calendar exists to dictate the schedule of updates. The first number is already in a tvar, so it doesn't require updates to translations; you could add tvars for the other numbers as well.
- For numbers which are used on many pages, another possibility is to use a template. Nemo 13:25, 25 October 2019 (UTC)
- You are so right and thank you remembering we are volunteers, and that is why I wish to be immune to numerical errors. So a wonderful wisdom that tvar trick works on such instance as for how many wikivoyage pages per each local language; will try and figure out using it, and you suggested that we already have one figure in tvar tag in the above sample link.
- I will look into Template maybe later, it is rather in the area I need more light... Anyhow, thankful for your generous support and wisdom, Arygatow. Cheers, --Omotecho (talk) 15:48, 25 October 2019 (UTC)