|←Discussion pages||Babylon talk page||Archives→|
|Welcome to the Babylon talk page! This place is dedicated to discussions about all the translations-related issues here on Meta-Wiki.
Feature request — 1-click Copy article from source to new target language / automatic Machine translate article text
I would like to quickly and easily copy articles to a different language for translation (1-click article cloning across languages). This would make creating stubs (at a minimum) incredibly easy.
I would also like the option to machine translate this copied article.
It seems Google and Bing are now good enough that this Machine Translation (MT) mode of replicating articles would be an effective way to grow (especially) non-English Wikis and to increase participation by taking out the complex drudgery of creating an article. Users are more likely to improve machine-translated article than to create and populate them from scratch.
MT-articles could also be color-coded (warning yellow border?) to distinguish their uncertain quality. Rotating these new articles through the front page (perhaps based on hit volume in other languages) would also certainly help.
At least for the top 10 wikis—by size or word count—this could be a boon. Wiki size likely also correlates positively to the size of the language data sets on which Google and Bing are based, which should generally correlate to MT-quality.
As a freelance translator, I make frequent use of Wikipedia in German and English. Articles often exists in only one of the two languages, and this would make it much easier for me to add value.
EuAlexandre Ice queria pedir aulas sobre como criar e editar um documento na wikipédia para eu poder partilhar algum conhecimento.
Content translators needed for a user study on article recommendations
The Design Research team at the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking volunteers to participate in a series of interviews about translating articles on Wikipedia. The goal of the study is to understand how experienced translators find and select articles to translate from one Wikipedia to another. The results of this study will help improve automated article recommendation tools for content translators.
We would like to speak to editors who have experience translating articles across Wikipedia languages. The only requirements for participating in this study are:
1) the editor must have previously translated at least one Wikipedia article to or from English and one of the following languages: Catalan, Farsi, French, Italian, Spanish, or Swahili.*
2) the editor must be available to speak with a WMF researcher over Google Hangout; if you haven't used Google Hangouts before, don't worry, we will walk you through it. Your participation will take no preparation, and all you have to do is show up at the Google Hangout with your laptop/desktop ready to go.
Each study session will be approximately 50 minutes in length, and can be scheduled at a time that works best for the participants. If you're interested in participating, please send a message with your availability (be sure to note your time zone) to email@example.com. Thank you for helping us improve content translation!
Samantha Becker & Jonathan Morgan
Wikimedia Design Research
*These are the languages that we are testing the new recommendation tools in initially.
Translating translate-workflow-states to esperanto
But my translations are not saved. It keeps noticing me that my translations are unsaved, but wont give me a hint on how I may change that…
Can someone help me and explain me what the problem?
- There is a text: "You have to be an administrator to make translations for this group". Please post the translations here, so that some Meta admin can add the translations. Regards, --Stryn (talk) 10:40, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- I see no such a text in my interface… Where should I post translations ? --Psychoslave (talk) 12:53, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
Here it is:
- In progress
- Needs updating
Could you be kind enough to also give me more information on why this restrictions are set, and if there are any thing I may do to directly make propositions into the interface? --Psychoslave (talk) 14:32, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- Done, thanks. There was some discussion about it on Meta_talk:Babylon/Archives/2012#Permission_Problem_with_Group_translate-workflow-states. So, those messages are in the MediaWiki namespace, and only admins can edit MediaWiki namespace. I don't know how the current system could be improved. --Stryn (talk) 14:43, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
Since no one has updated the news section for three years, the only function it had was making it look like the portal is not being used any longer. I've removed it for the time being. /Julle (talk) 10:09, 4 November 2015 (UTC)