User talk:Mjohnson (WMF)

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Afrikaans | العربية | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | Հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | Kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello, Mjohnson (WMF). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum if you need help with something (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 16:06, 26 September 2014 (UTC)

Grants talk:IEG/Solve the display issue on rare characters in CJK fonts[edit]

Hello Marti, this is Shoichi Chou of Wikimedia chapter in Taiwan. Nice to meet you. I am the project manager of "rare characters in CJK fonts solution" team. This year our chapter still have some budget can be used in the project,so finally we decided not to apply grants this time. Thank you for caring about us. Our project is still going on. I just update the progress. I am sorry that reply you so late.--魔法設計師(Shoichi) (talk) 17:04, 24 September 2015 (UTC)

Thanks for letting me know, 魔法設計師(Shoichi)! Glad to hear that your project is going forward. Thanks for updating your progress. Cheers, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 17:18, 24 September 2015 (UTC)

Re: Help offer[edit]

Help would be much appreciated. I have three proposals 1, 2, 3. I'm not good at writing so its been problematic for me. Dispenser (talk) 17:58, 25 September 2015 (UTC)

Dispenser, I'm happy to help. Would it work for you to meet via Skype or Hangout? I'm not sure what time zone you are in, but I am available tomorrow morning between 6-8am Pacific Standard Time, or any time on Sunday between 6am and 8pm Pacific Standard Time. I also have availability on Monday, but want to offer weekend times first since the deadline is so soon. If you prefer to meet by Skype, please send me your handle. If you prefer to meet via Hangout, I'll provide a link on your user talk page once we confirm a time.
Warm regards, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 02:31, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
I've emailed you my contact details. Dispenser (talk) 13:40, 27 September 2015 (UTC)

Thank you[edit]

Hi Mjohnson, sorry for answering so late to your kind message regarding my grant proposal "Women are everywhere". I'm aware that now it's to late for doing anything. I let the project in the draft status because I was a little discouraged about it, I had a feeling of loneliness in doing that. If I had read your message before, I would have asked your help. Thanks a lot for your interest. Kind regards, --Kenzia (talk) 16:20, 16 October 2015 (UTC)

Email contact[edit]

Hi Mjohnson, I already sent email to you about our meeting. Thanks. Alphama (talk) 00:40, 13 November 2015 (UTC)

Alphama, I've very happy to hear from you! Unfortunately, I can't find a record of your email. Did you write from the same email account that you listed in your proposal? Would you please email me again? Please put the name of your IEG project in the subject line of your email and I'll keep my eye out for it. Thank you! --Marti (WMF) (talk) 00:47, 13 November 2015 (UTC)
Yes, I used my email account: alphamawikipedia@gmail.com. Alphama (talk) 00:50, 13 November 2015 (UTC)

AlessioMela[edit]

Hi Marti, I just sent an email putting all in copy. --Ilario (talk) 12:59, 13 November 2015 (UTC)

Request for input on Wikipedia video project[edit]

Hello, I have completed an outline of the material that may be covered in the modules on this page.

Please note that not everyone will view every section. For example, some people may want to view only the modules that apply to Wikipedia, and others may be interested in the modules that apply to Commons.

Also, different language Wikipedias sometimes work differently. I am referring to English Wikipedia in the outline. One of the goals of the video series is to make the videos in a way that is easy to translate to other languages. One possible option is that for references to English Wikipedia which have no similarities on a Wikipedia of a different language, the portion of the video that is unnecessary can be removed from the translated version of the video. Also, members of different language communities may produce additional materials which they may add to the videos for their language, or the community members may replace portions of the English-language video with different information that is more applicable to Wikipedia in a different language.

I would appreciate your comments on the grant talk page, preferably by 11 January. Thank you! --Pine 09:14, 7 January 2016 (UTC)

WikiAtlas' Extension request[edit]

Hello Marti, as announced by email I submitted an extension request for Wikitaltas. Please check it out. Yug (talk) 22:05, 30 March 2016 (UTC)

About Women[edit]

Hi Mjohnson, last october you very kindly offered me your help for my grant proposal "Women are everywhere". Now, I'm trying to improve it to present it for funding. It would be very helpful if you could have a look at the draft and give me your opinions ad advises. Many thanks, --Kenzia (talk) 10:55, 1 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi, thank you for you answer. I've already subscribed for the April 5th help session in Google Hangout. If it would be possible to set an individual session, I would be very grateful. Sincerely--Kenzia (talk) 08:37, 2 April 2016 (UTC)

Changes to grant funding in the future?[edit]

Hey Marti,

Thanks again for your time in the Google Hangout for IEG proposals. Plenty for me to think about going forward. I wanted to ask you about the proposed changes to the IEGs. I believe you said something about this round being the last round of IEGs as they are currently labeled? Can you elaborate on that?

Evoapps (talk) 19:23, 5 April 2016 (UTC)

Evoapps, sorry I missed this message before. In July, we are launching our new grants program, Project Grants. Rapid Grants, for projects under $2,000 USD, was already recently launched. These two programs will replace IEG (and also absorb parts of PEG). All of the projects that could previously be funded through IEG will still be fundable through these programs. We are still finishing up the portal for Project Grants, but you can take a look at the material that's already there and feel free to ask additional questions here.
Best, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 14:26, 24 June 2016 (UTC)

rescheduling meeting[edit]

Hi Marti! Thanks for the updates. I was able to join in on 12 April only after the session was done. Can we have a meeting on either 14th or 15th at 16:00 - 17:00 UTC? Vincentvikram (talk) 03:42, 14 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi Vincentvikram, 16:00 - 17:00 UTC tomorrow (April 14th) will work! Please ping me on Hangout directly (mjohnson @ wikimedia  · org). Best, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 04:35, 14 April 2016 (UTC)
Hi Marti (WMF), I thought I would get an email when I am pinged but seems it did not happen. Just saw this after logging in. Please let me know your next convenient time. Would it be possible to email me at vincentvikram AT gmail DOT com Thanks Vincentvikram (talk) 05:56, 15 April 2016 (UTC)

April 30th Meeting[edit]

Hi Marti (WMF), Thanks for the information on meeting slated for April 30th Meeting for the new members of IEG Committee. Please note that the date is tight for me. I will appreciate if we could look at May 2nd. Thanks Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 10:07, 29 April 2016 (UTC)

How to withdraw the IEG proposal[edit]

Hi Mjohnson (WMF), two days ago I wrote a message for you on the talk page of my IEG proposal. Have you seen it? Please, could you answer to my question? I'm waiting for your indications. Thank you, --Kenzia (talk) 06:45, 2 June 2016 (UTC)

What is the next step after IEG committee feedback?[edit]

Hi @Mjohnson (WMF):! I think a common doubt most IEG applicants have is what should we now do after obtaining feedback and rubric-based scoring by the committee. Should we update the proposal based on the feedback or address the points in the discussion page? Do let us know how to proceed. Thanks Vincentvikram (talk) 07:07, 6 June 2016 (UTC)

Hi Vincentvikram, it's always a good idea to respond to feedback after committee scoring, but it's not required. Though your project wasn't funded this round, you have the option to use committee feedback to revise your proposal and resubmit in a current round. You can highlight changes you've made in your talk page. It's not uncommon for applicants re-submit revised proposals and successfully get funding awards in a future round. Since this was the last round of IEG we just went through, you have two options for this project. If you can reduce your budget to $2,000 USD, you can submit it through Rapid Grants at any time. Alternatively, we'll launch the new Project Grants program on July 1, with submissions due by August 2. If you'd like feedback from a staff member, we'll have a series of hangouts for applicants to talk about their proposals which will be posted here soon (not listed yet, but they should be up within the coming week).
Let me know if you have any other questions!
--Marti (WMF) (talk) 14:36, 24 June 2016 (UTC)
Thanks Marti (WMF)
Vincentvikram (talk) 06:44, 7 July 2016 (UTC)

Committee Members[edit]

Hi Mjohnson!

Thanks for delivering the committee's decision on my proposal Grants:IEG/Curation of courses and resources on Wikiversity!

I seem to recall that the committee members are listed here somewhere. Can you supply me with the list of committee members that evaluated my proposal, or direct me to the resource here that lists or names them (user names)? --Marshallsumter (talk) 23:12, 7 July 2016 (UTC)

Sure thing, Marshallsumter. Here is the link: Grants:IEG/Committee#ieg-members. --Marti (WMF) (talk) 16:39, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks, Marti!
I have a couple of questions for the committee members which I am still formulating. I would like to pass them by you first if that would be okay.
I checked the discussion page for Grants:IEG/Committee#ieg-members and noticed that the members do not answer questions. So I'm not sure the best way to start except here with you, again if it is okay. --Marshallsumter (talk) 01:07, 12 July 2016 (UTC)

Grants talk:IEG/ScalaWiki data processing toolbox#Following_up_on_your_answers[edit]

Hi, Marti! Thank you for the message. I have replied there --Ilya (talk) 11:10, 14 July 2016 (UTC)

Blog post[edit]

Thank you for the reminder. I'll talk to Jeff Elder about the publication date :) --Padaguan (talk) 23:04, 4 August 2016 (UTC)

How to copy information in Wikimedia sites[edit]

Hi Marti, it appears that you made an inadvertent copyright violation with this edit: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grants%3AProject%2FCommittee%2FWorkroom&type=revision&diff=15831894&oldid=15831879. At least some of that information appears to have been copied from Grants:IEG/Committee/Workroom, which has content that was written by a number of people including me. Please read this page for a guideline that discusses how to copy information from one Wikimedia page to another. (I plan to discuss this subject in the LearnWiki video series, because many people make mistakes when copying Wikimedia content like this. I made a similar mistake when I was new.) Thanks, --Pine 06:22, 11 August 2016 (UTC)

Hi Pine, since I'm transferring instructions within the Grants space on Meta, moving instructions written for the IEG Committee (which is now closed) to provide instructions for the Project Grants committee (which effectively replaces the IEG Committee), I'm surprised that you are citing an English Wikipedia editing guideline as relevant. I'd like to confirm with my team whether this policy is, in fact, relevant. I'll get back to you about it in our next call, especially since one of the recommendations provided about LearnWiki was to make sure that ENWP policies are not inadvertently applied across all Wikimedia sites, since they are actually not universally applicable. That said, I'll make a note on the talkpage about the source link. Best, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 16:44, 11 August 2016 (UTC)
Hi Marti, I think there may be a couple of opportunities for clarification here. Governing legalese on this issue, from which the ENWP guideline is derived, includes the Creative Commons license, which applies to Meta just as much as it does to ENWP. My understanding from the community (admittedly, not from lawyers) is that the protocol for internal copying from one Wikimedia page to another, regardless of which site is involved, is that attribution to the original authors is required. The way that MediaWiki normally makes this authorship attribution is through the edit history page. So one way to correctly attribute authorship from a different page is to link to that page and credit the authors cited in the article history. Additionally, the WMF Terms of Use apply, and those terms say that "Attribution: Attribution is an important part of these licenses. We consider it giving credit where credit is due – to authors like yourself. When you contribute text, you agree to be attributed in any of the following fashions: * Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the article to which you contributed (since each article has a history page that lists all authors and editors); * Through hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable online copy that is freely accessible, which conforms with the license, and which provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to the credit given on the Project website; or * Through a list of all authors (but please note that any list of authors may be filtered to exclude very small or irrelevant contributions)." The TOU also says, "Where such credit is commonly given through page histories (such as Wikimedia-internal copying), it is sufficient to give attribution in the edit summary, which is recorded in the page history, when importing the text." If you have a different understanding, please let me know. I'm sorry if I sound pushy here; I'm just trying to make sure that proper attribution is provided. As I said, this is a common mistake and I plan to discuss it in the LearnWiki series. If WMF Legal has a different understanding of how attribution should apply, I would appreciate hearing about this so that I can make changes to LearnWiki accordingly. --Pine 01:32, 12 August 2016 (UTC)

Africa[edit]

Hi Marti, can you respond to the recent input at Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Northern Africa Challenge? Cheers.Dr. Blofeld (talk) 09:18, 25 August 2016 (UTC)

Project Mentor[edit]

Hello Mjohnson. The program Mentor is almost up and running in the Greek wikipedia with the help of my fellow wikipedian Glorious 93. I' m still hoping for a grant in the near future, because I still think that there is a place for it in the education. The realisation of Mentor concerns the interaction of people, and it covers a great piece of the educational program in Wikipedia School of Athens and Asaf's idea of Wikimedia School. Therefore I would really like for you to guide me through the process of a Project grant if possible.
Thank you --Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής (talk) 10:39, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής,
I'd be more than happy to offer support with the process. We are hosting regular Proposal Clinics via Hangout, posted here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project
You can also email me directly for help at mjohnson @ wikimedia  · org.
Best, --Marti (WMF) (talk) 17:19, 22 September 2016 (UTC)

Thank you Marti[edit]

Thank you Marti for your support in the TPS Grants page I Congresso Científico Brasileiro da Wikipedia. Best regards, João

Need response[edit]

Hi, I think you have forgotten to checked the feedback you requested on the proposal. It has been more than 10 days since I have replied. Please check it. Thank You.--Jnanaranjan sahu (talk) 04:40, 3 November 2016 (UTC)

Typical day in my email inbox[edit]

I think you will appreciate this too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldgp3Ton7R4. --Pine 07:10, 23 November 2016 (UTC)

The project is not funded yet[edit]

Hi, I project Project has been granted but no communication or follow-up regarding that. Can you please make any update on this please?--Jnanaranjan sahu (talk) 10:18, 5 December 2016 (UTC)

Proposal[edit]

Hi, I'm still awaiting a response from you via email on a proposal. I know you're very busy but I did send you something a good three weeks ago which you promised you'd look at. Can you please email and just update me on where we are, I would really appreciate it if you could do that, thanks. Dr. Blofeld (talk) 17:35, 13 December 2016 (UTC)

Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global survey[edit]

  1. This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
  2. Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.

Protocol.open.internet proxies.wikimedia.program.appS.code. special.problem.All.psychiatry+213790969428 Cardiacpsy198911 (talk) 15:10, 5 September 2017 (UTC)

Grant proposal elegibility[edit]

Hello, Marti! Quick question: I just saw that 2 days ago you confirmed the elegibility of several Project Grant proposals. However, this proposal I created didn't receive the template. Does it mean it wasn't selected as eligible, or it's simply that you're still working on that? Thanks! --Racso ¿¿¿??? 19:48, 26 March 2017 (UTC)

I had hoped that I could have had another chat with you about the proposal, but discussing ways in which it could be modified to address your concerns...Dr. Blofeld (talk) 15:34, 6 June 2017 (UTC)

Wikiquote at the hospital[edit]

Hi Marti, I wrote the draft report of Wikiquote at the hospital and I would like that you see it to tell me if I can email it to rapidgrants@wikimedia.org to notify that it is ready for review. Thanks.--Jaluj (talk) 00:24, 16 April 2017 (UTC)

Hi Marti, do you know something about Grants:Project/Rapid/Jaluj/Wikiquote at the hospital/Report? Do you know what happened? Somebody read it? --Jaluj (talk) 20:45, 6 May 2017 (UTC)

Update regarding Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons tutorial videos[edit]

Hello,

I regret to inform you that the series of motivational and educational videos project, which had been planned introduce Wikipedia and some of its sister projects to new contributors, is being discontinued.

There are multiple factors that have led to this decision. The initial budget and time estimates were far too small for a project of this scale and complexity. Also, my simultaneous involvement in Cascadia Wikimedians User Group was problematic due to the shortage of human resources for the user group, which resulted in my spending far more time trying to help the user group than I had planned, so my time and attention were diverted from this video project to assisting the user group.

You can find more information in the final report for the grant.

I regret that this project did not fulfill the hopes that many of us had for it, and I hope that in the future someone with the necessary resources will choose to resume work on it or a similar project. If you are interested in working on this or a similar project then please contact the WMF grants team.

On a personal note, I am retiring from the Wikimedia community. Perhaps I will return someday.

Regards,

--Pine 23:20, 30 August 2017 (UTC)

Series director and screenwriter

Greetings[edit]

I have uploaded a grant proposal today and would like to know if I submitted it correctly. It is here: Grants:Project/Engaging Academic Archivists, Librarians and Students to Address the Historical Gender and Racial Gap of Western Pennsylvania through the University of Pittsburgh Library System. If not please send me instructions on how to submit correctly. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 19:41, 25 September 2017 (UTC)

I now have some other questions that I have posted to the project proposal discussion page. Others have questions and I told them that their questions will be answered on the project discussion page. Thank you very much. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 13:14, 26 September 2017 (UTC)

Grants talk:IdeaLab/Hindi Wikipedia Outreach[edit]

Hello Sir/ma'am, Something is for you on Grants talk:IdeaLab/Hindi Wikipedia Outreach Page. Please look at once.--Jayprakash12345 (talk) 10:38, 12 October 2017 (UTC)

Women in Red[edit]

Hi, the women in red contest now has over 100 people signed up and counting. Can we have a chat soon about the prize fund as in drawing up articles the $15 per country won't work given that many countries we can barely find a few missing articles. I've come up with a system which will still max out diversity and quantity but I need to authorize it with you before I go live with it.Dr. Blofeld (talk) 12:40, 13 October 2017 (UTC)

Dr. Blofeld, I will email you to set up a time to talk! --Marti (WMF) (talk) 02:29, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Well there's 136 people and counting signed up for it, the prize system I've devised must be doing something right :-).Dr. Blofeld (talk) 15:17, 20 October 2017 (UTC)

Marti, I know you're busy but the fact that you've not emailed since June and you're my mentor for this women in red contest is pretty disappointing. My grant deserves as much attention as any of the others and you've not made the effort to contact me even once to ask what I wanted. The contest starts tomorrow and all that I wanted to discuss with you it's pretty much too late now. Dr. Blofeld (talk) 14:19, 31 October 2017 (UTC)

It.wikipedia comunity[edit]

If my question is unjust or incorrect for any reason, please drop it out and forget, otherwise you can kindly explain the arguments in support of the following phrase "Good community support, although there seems to be some troubles with some members of the Italian community" you wrote here ?. It seems to me that there is confusion between breaking rules and personal issues, Best regards. --Bramfab (talk) 15:04, 17 November 2017 (UTC)

Hello Bramfab,
I think you may not have read the full text of the post, so I am recopying the relevant part here (emphasis mine):
"Aggregated committee comments from the committee are posted above. Note that these comments may vary, or even contradict each other, since they reflect the conclusions of multiple individual committee members who independently reviewed this proposal. We recommend that you review all the feedback and post any responses, clarifications or questions on this talk page."
You are mistaken in thinking that I wrote the comment you referenced--these are aggregated, anonymized comments written by multiple members of the Project Grants Committee. None of the comments were written by me. Consequently, I do recommend that you post your question on the talkpage of your Project Grants proposal, per the instructions quoted above, as that is where the Committee members will be able to respond to your questions. They are unlikely to see them here, though, on my own user page.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
--Marti (WMF) (talk) 17:01, 17 November 2017 (UTC)
Thank you, written here. Regards, --Bramfab (talk) 20:13, 17 November 2017 (UTC)