Grants:Project/Rapid/Jnanaranjan Sahu/Odia Wikisource's 2nd anniversary
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase editing and other advanced skills for existing contributors
- Needs assessment across three major Wikimedia projects; Odia Wikisource, Odia Wikipedia and Odia Wiktionary
- Provide advanced training to existing contributors
- Building strategy for the future
- Reaching out to more people especially targeting focus groups that are potential community members by using media
- Collaborating with noted authors for relicensing their works under free license so that those works can be digitized on Wikisource
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
There will be a general training program for the Wikimedians contributing various Odia-language Wikimedia projects. We will also have either a group or one-on-one training for Wikisourcers. We are planning to organize a sprint for proofreading some of the books but that will be of less priority because we would like to leverage the physical presence of the community members to the maximum level in training so that they can replicate the lessons learned on their own .
The training session will focus on these activities:
- Live demonstration on how to digitize a book
- How to upload scanned works on Commons.
- What is OTRS? How to get OTRS ticket after uploading the books on Commons?
- OCRing the scanned pages
- Image cropping through CSS
- Tips for promoting digitized works on social media and other platforms
We will have community discussion and analysis of the works from the past, build strategies for the future, and plan for expanding the community by delegating the responsibilities with decentralization.
We will have a public gathering to engage with the larger Odia-language community and media on a dialog, identifying the gaps the language has in the digital domain, and how Wikisource and other Wikimedia projects are helping fill those gaps.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
The discussion about this event has been started on Odia Wikisource in a discussion page dedicated for this event where the planning and the budget were discussed, and were unanimously supported by seven community members. Prior to the on-wiki discussion, 12 Odia Wikimedians who participated at the WikiConference India, discussed and chalked out details of the event which was later shared on-wiki for the larger community discussion. Both the Wikisource and Wikipedia communities have been encouraged in the respective projects’ village pumps to participate in the conversation and the event planning.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Yes, we have five to six experienced Wikimedians to lead the event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
A Mediawiki training and a small train-the-trainer program were organized recently to start the advanced training process. This event and several one-on-one sessions before have contributed in bettering the skillset that is expected the community members to have. We plan to work more on improving the community’s strengths in the sessions planned at the Wikisource anniversary in the training sessions. The gathering is also going to be useful to listen to the larger community’s voice which is often not heard on village pump and other on-wiki discussion -- as not every community member is not equally vocal but their views matter. Being an online community, we would like to use this gathering as an opportunity to help many community members participate in the community’s larger interests like outreach and promoting Wikimedia projects. At the same time we will identify gaps like the challenges in editing Wikipedia using mobile devices where the broadband internet is not affordable and/or there are challenges in owning computers.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We will continue to engage with the community members on-wiki and will use some surveys to learn about their experience. We will collect both contact details and feedback from the non-Wikimedian participants so that we can reach out to them for follow up online. From the past experience during the post-event Q&A sessions, we have noticed many individuals that represent different organizations showing more interest than others. We often have one-on-one conversation with them and try to follow up regularly after the event based on their interest. This will help us strengthen our ties with wider spectrum of organizations -- from educational institutions to publishers and GLAM institutions. We will continue to these for this event as well. To encourage the existing and budding Wikimedians, we will try to showcase more of their work in the media so that they get more encouraged to contribute and spread the word among people they know. We will also use storytelling and narratives of the community’s work so that media highlights them which in turn increase our project page views if not directly impacting community growth.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of new editors: 15
- Number of articles created or improved: 100
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
- Number of total participants: 50
- Number of people who will help organize the event:
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
The trainees will be using their own computers for the sessions. We might get the projector for free from one of the community members. The Odia Wikimedia community is organizing this event. We do not have any in-kind donations at the moment but are trying to get some of the expenses like the venue partly/fully covered. Will update if we get any.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Expenses | Amount (in INR)|
- Conference bags:8700
- Internet: 10000
- T-shirts/hoodies (for existing community members): 18000
- Travel and Accommodation: 37000
- Event venue: 10000
- Stickers, banners and other promotional merchandise: 1200
- Press conference: 1000
- Total 105350
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support--ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ (talk) 05:55, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support -DashNistha (talk) 06:04, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Subas Chandra Rout (talk) 07:38, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 18:31, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Pmsarangi
- Support--Sailesh Patnaik (Talk|Contribs) 19:44, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support Aditya Mahar (talk) 04:14, 28 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 13:30, 29 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support --Shrijagannatha (talk) 09:40, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support Greetings from Malayalam Wikisource Community --Manojk (talk) 18:55, 19 October 2016 (UTC)