Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania
|Wikimedia Community |
|Approval date||14 May 2018|
|Official language(s)||Swahili , English|
Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania is an officially recognized user group of Wikimedia projects contributors who have been meeting in Dar es salaam since January 2017 serving to extend the reach of Wikimedia activities in the country. The aim of this group is establishing the presence of the Wikimedia Movement in Tanzania as well as creating awareness of Wikimedia projects to Tanzanians, editing and adding contents to Wikimedia projects on SwahiliWiki (swwiki) and EnglishWiki (enwiki). Also the group serves on recruiting and training people on how they can be a part of Wikimedia through editing and adding contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects. The group deals with both Kiswahili and English wikis with much focus on SwahiliWiki. The group also plays the roles of hosting different events such as Editathons and Workshops that seeks to extend and improve the reach of Wikimedia projects to Tanzanians and elsewhere when needed.
- To promote the use of Wikimedia projects to people in Tanzania.
- To help people in Tanzania learn how to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- To expand the SwahiliWiki in terms of its contents.
- Generally to add Tanzania related contents to Wikipedia and sister projects.
- To establish the presence of Wikimedia in Tanzania.
- To serve as a contact for Wikimedia projects in Tanzania.
- To conduct Wikipedia weekly meetups and grow a community from Tanzania.
- Organizing Wikipedia edit-a-thons in Tanzania.
- Promote editing of contents on Wikimedia projects that relates to Tanzania and neighboring countries.
- Training Tanzanians on how they can contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Participating in Wiki Loves Activities.
- Creating partners to extend the course of Wikimedia in Tanzania.
The idea of starting a Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania was initially introduced by Jack Rabah on July 2016 when he met two Wikipedia enthusiasts Antoni Mtavangu and Paul Mandele during 360 Series event at Julius Nyerere International Convention Centre in Tanzania . Rabah connected these two people to several Wikipedians including Felix Nartey from Ghana who facilitated much to conduct remote training on the important and basic things to be done to start a user group. The local country coordinators succeed to recruit at least 15 volunteers who joined to form the group. Later Rabah introduced Ingo Koll of the swwiki Admin-team to the group. Ingo played a great role in providing edit training on SwahiliWiki, and conducted several workshops as he got the chance to come to Tanzania in 2017. The combined efforts of those people yielded to the first Wikipedia editathon that was held on 7th July 2017 with the goal of Adding Wikipedia contents on Swahiliwiki.
Events and Projects
Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania has succeed to participate in several events including the following:-
KEY ACCOMPLISHED PROGRAMS IN TANZANIA
- Wikipedia editathon-7th July 2017 (adding Wikipedia contents on Swahiliwiki)
- WikiWomenTz (WikiGap) Workshop -3rd Feb 2018 (Training women how to contribute to Wikimedia projects especially Wikipedia)
- WikiWomenTz (WikiGap) editathon-8th March 2018 (Writing about notable Women in Tanzania)
- Wikipedia Editathon 2018 -June 20,2018 (Creating Wikipedia awareness to Tanzanian community)
- Launch of Wiki Loves Women Project in Tanzania (08.09.2018)
- Wiki Loves Monuments-Tanzania (September 2018)
- Loves Women Tanzania Women in Politics (20.10.2018)
- Tanzanian Women in Wikidata and Cinema (17.11.2018)
- ASSAT editathon 24 November 2018 (Preparation of Swahili Astronomical dictionary in collaboration with the department of Swahili Language from University of Dar es Salaam)
- Women in Wikidata and Cinema-I (01.12.2018)
- Loves Women Workshop and Editathon-Tanzania 15.12.2018
- Editathon (18.01.2019)
- Wikieditors vs Notable Women Wikieditors vs Notable Women (26.01.2019)
- Launch of Wiki Loves Africa Contest in Tanzania (04.02.2019)
- WLA Photo hunts (11.02.2019 & 17.02.2019)
- Wiki Loves Women&WikiWomenTz(WikiGap) Even at the residence of the Swedish ambassador in Tanzania (7th March 2019)
- Wiki Loves Women-Tanzania ̈(8th Event) (March 2019)
- ART&FEMINISM EVENT (March 2019) (was done on 4 April 2019)
- Wiki Loves Women-Tanzania ̈9th WLW Event (6 April 2019)-Her 2 Her Chat between Tanzania notable Women and Tanzanian Wikimedians
- AStronomy Editathon ( 11 April 2019)-Updating latest Swahili vocabularies in Swahili Wikipedia
- East Africa Training Workshop (by Woubzena Jifar & Asaf Bartov) 12th April to 14 April 2019-Dar es Salaam Tanzania
- WLW Finale (10th event) on 30th April 2019-Concluding event in the series of 10 WLW events in Tanzania for 2018/2019.
- Astronomy Photo selection event
- Wikimedia 2030ːMovement strategy salon in Dar es salaam, Tanzania 6th July 2019
- Youth Strategy Salon in Tanzania (03rd August 2019)
- East Africa Strategy Salon in UGANDA (06th-08th Sept 2019)
- To conduct more editathons and workshops which seek to create awareness of Wikimedia projects on Tanzania.
- To participate in different global Wikimedia projects such as Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wikiloves Women, Wiki Loves Earth, etc.
Wikimedia 2030ː East Africa Strategy Salon in Uganda (06th-08th Sept 2019)
- Paul Mandele
- Eid John
- Emmanuel Mangu
- Alfredina Manila
- Edwin Bakalemwa
- Otto Nyongole
- Fakii Soloka
- Matinde John
- Amandus N Luhazi
- Vitus Kalugendo
- Stella Angelo
- Hebron Geofrey
- Mwanaharusi Seleman
- Habib Mrisho
- Robert Kamunde
- Clement Makangabila
- Pellagia Njau
- Glory Jonathan
- Ally Hashimu Kiliwasha
- Mwinuka Stella
- Catherine Kisanga
- Fredrick James Musalika
- Maryam Mgonja
- Aneth David
- David Nanage
- Jackline Mfuse
- Deovolente Mtavangu
- Dennis Kibahila
- Eliatosha Kwizera
- Dominic Deusdedith
- Antoni Mtavangu
- Filbert Akaro
- Bennett Benedict
- Evans Exaud
- Aristarik Maro
How to join
The group invites persons or people who are willing to join Wikimedia projects movement in Tanzania.You can join the community by sending your membership request to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can reach us through Wikimedia Tanzania
Designated Contacts for Wikimedia Foundation
Facebook page: Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania
Affiliations Committee Resolutions
- Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania Approved 14 May 2018.