Wikitongues is a nonprofit community of 800 volunteers in 60 countries promoting and preserving linguistic diversity worldwide. We're building a public archive of every language in the world, recording and publishing video oral histories under Creative Commons licensing. This user group will facilitate more and better contribution from our initiative to Wikimedia projects.
Wikitongues aims to increase the scope of language content for Wikimedia projects and expand their overall linguistic diversity.
- We recruit volunteers to record video oral histories in their native language.
- We contribute all appropriately licensed Wikitongues language documentation to relevant Wikimedia projects.
- We introduce language activists to the Wikimedia movement and educate the general public about:
- Linguistic preservation;
- Oral history production; and
- Digital media publishing as it pertains to Creative Commons Licensing.
- We coordinate with local WMF affiliates and partners to organize translate-a-thons for Wikimedia projects.
- In the future, we aim to organize Wikipedia training sessions for language activists who wish to launch Wikipedia editions in their language.
Wikitongues began as a grassroots initiative in 2014 and has been a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit since 2016. Many from our community are active Wikimedians who contribute language content to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Commons and participate in Wikimedia events.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk) gave a lightning talk about language preservation in the digital age.
- Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) gave a tutorial about Kathabhidhana, open source software for contributing words and phonemes to Wiktionary.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk), Subhashish Panigrahi (talk), Sailesh Patnaik staffed a Wikitongues table at the community village.
Wikipedia Day 2018 in NYC
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk) expanded upon his Wikimania lightning talk by presenting examples of Internet-based language activism on every continent.
Wikitongues aims to organize events that expand the quantity and quality of language-related content on Wikimedia projects and improve the overall linguistic diversity of Wikimedia. These will include translate-a-thons, edit-a-thons, and “record-a-thons” for the Wikimedia Commons.
- Wikitongues was among the organizers of the April 2018 Translate-A-Thon at LaGuardia Community College in New York City.
- Wikitongues is among the organizers of the upcoming Wiki Loves Pride Edit-A-Thon.
- Wikitongues was a co-editor of the recent Afro-Recordathon in NYC
Launch Wikimedia user group Elect a community leader for the user group
Organize at least one Wikitongues event(see above Events section for current plans) Identify all Wikitongues language videos with Wikimedia-appropriate licensing
- Systemize Wikitongues-Wikimedia contribution flow for future language videos
- Contribute all existing Wikitongues language videos to the Wikimedia Commons
Participate in Wikimania 2018
- Identify three relevant Wikipedia projects besides the Commons and contribute appropriate Wikitongues content
Anyone who speaks a language (that's everyone) may join our community: either add your name to the community section below, or fill out our volunteer application. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave them on the talk page.
To learn more, visit us at wikitongues.org or drop us a line at hellowikitongues.org.
To join us, simply add your name below.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk) 20:00, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
- Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 20:13, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
- Sailesh Patnaik 03:19, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 21:53, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- Satdeep Gill (talk) 16:00, 30 January 2018 (UTC)
- Atlasowa (talk) 10:35, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- Aliceba (talk) 20:50, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
- Anass Sedrati (talk) 10:56, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Abhinavgarule (talk) 10:45, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
- Rossouw van Rooyen (talk) 13:38, 28 March 2018 (UTC)
- Abantika 02:47, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
- User:Zoe Malik 18:28, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- User:RaananRobertson 02:34, 01 May 2018 (UTC)
- Sami Mlouhi (talk) 09:49, 03 May 2018 (UTC)
- Sophie Kuzma (talk) 02:09, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
- Alexmar983 (talk) 16:55, 11 May 2018 (UTC)
- Amqui (talk) 17:22, 11 May 2018 (UTC)
- -Hasive • talk • 10:31, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- Jawad Yuwono 12:59, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- —M@sssly✉ 14:09, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Holder (talk) 08:07, 17 May 2018 (UTC)
- Abderrahman Ait Ali
- Mompati Dikunwane (talk) 18:43, 13 June 2018 (UTC)
- Adroit (talk)
- Jennifer C Young (talk) 06:12, 4 July 2018 (UTC)
- Isaac Kanguya (talk) 09:40, 25 July 2018 (UTC)
- Matheus Berriel (talk) 14:39, 27 July 2018 (UTC)
- Faandrade (talk) 02:44, 10 August 2018 (UTC)
- Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 23:51, 24 August 2018 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 00:39, 30 August 2018 (UTC)
- Rajeeb (talk) 21:05, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
- Mohammed Bachounda (talk) 10:52, 16 September 2018 (UTC)
- --Ziko (talk) 04:57, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- Abbad (talk) 00:10, 27 November 2018 (UTC).