Wikimedia Wikimeet India 2021/Submissions/Building a diamond open access journal on Wikimedia platform
- Your username: Diptanshu Das
- Presenters: Diptanshu Das
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Editor in Chief, ILAE Wikipedia Project
- Board member, Wiki Project Med and contributor, WikiProject Medicine
- Former board member, WikiJournal of Medicine
- Veteran Editor IV on English Wikipedia.
- Member, Working Group, Open Access India
Building a diamond open access journal on Wikimedia platform
- Time needed:
- Narrate your plan in details:
The Wikimedia movement has focussed on making quality knowledge free. Open access academic journals do the same. However, merging the two concepts might not be as easy as it may see. Yet this is doable. The pearls and pitfalls need to be understood. WikiJournal has attempted this transition. Such efforts can be generically done for any subject and any Wikiproject. With the article processing charge (APC) of standard academic journals for open access articles being especially high, the role of diamond open access is crucial, especially with respect to India where the conversion from US Dollars makes it especially costly.
Slides available here
- Any support you need:
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in India?:
Indian communities can be guided about how they could independently form academic journals on Wikipedia using the usergroups and wikiprojects that they have already in existence. This will enhance the contributions to Wikipedia while easing free open access publication model but harnessing the benefits of the Wikimedia platform.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 05:51, 25 January 2021 (UTC)