Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Meeting minutes 20200112
- 1 Meeting information
- 2 Draft agenda
- 3 Attending
- 4 Minutes
- 4.1 Long-term social media strategy
- 4.1.1 What is the plan for the content creation? Facebook "requires" constant content, and it is slightly more complicated than Twitter to produce. When the group is approved what is the long-term plan?
- 4.1.2 When are other media such as LinkedIn and Instagram scheduled in the timetable (not talking about a fixed date, more about a series of passages when they can be considered ready)?
- 4.1.3 Which groups or pages you would like to be linked on Facebook?
- 4.1.4 Other sysops for social media channels?
- 4.1.5 Transparency: display public roles of sysops on pages?
- 4.2 Events
- 4.3 Becoming a thematic organization?
- 4.4 Any other business
- 4.5 Next meeting
- 4.1 Long-term social media strategy
Online meeting 2020-01-12 17:00 UTC on Jitsi.org
- Long-term social media strategy. Facebook and Twitter activities have started.
- What is the plan for the content creation? Facebook "requires" constant content, and it is slightly more complicated than Twitter to produce. When the group is approved what is the long-term plan?
- When are other media such as LinkedIn and Instagram scheduled in the timetable (not talking about a fixed date, more about a series of passages when they can be considered ready)?
- Which groups or pages you would like to be linked on Facebook?
- Other sysops for social media channels?
- Transparency: display public roles of sysops on pages?
- 7 march editathon
- 1-3 SDG Global Festival of Action in Bonn.
- Becoming a thematic organization?
- the process of creation of thematic organization from thematic UG has started recently, does anyone know something more?
- John Cummings
- Alex (on the chat only, JitSi not fully supported on his browsers)
- User:J. N. Squire
- User:Daniel Mietchen (connectivity issues)
- Rajeeb (Joined late, network issue)
What is the plan for the content creation? Facebook "requires" constant content, and it is slightly more complicated than Twitter to produce. When the group is approved what is the long-term plan?
- There is no social media stratgey or long term plan for now. If someone wants to start working on that, it would be awesome. For now we just post things when we have something to say.
When are other media such as LinkedIn and Instagram scheduled in the timetable (not talking about a fixed date, more about a series of passages when they can be considered ready)?
- Basically, if someone wants to take charge of a platform we should do it.
- Action: Alex starts a LinkedIn account. He gave a generic deadline of "within few months", it might be ready for the next meeting.
- Mastodon was discussed. Jan liked the idea and wondered what federation we should choose. Fosstodon? Or are there sustainability themed federations?
- Q: Do we need to start accounts on each and every platform?
- A: Not at all. But if someone would be happy to be admin on one platform rather than another, it is also not "stealing" resources from somewhere.
- This was not discussed.
- Action: Jan will add Mervat as admin to the Facebook page tomorrow.
- Alex asked to be sysop of Twitter to improve the coordination when necessary (he is also quite expert of Twitter)
Transparency: display public roles of sysops on pages?
7 March Editathon as part of Open Data Day 2020
- example of a past event (non-wiki) https://sparcopen.org/event/open-research-data-do-a-thon/
- Q: Can we combine ODD with WikiGap event(s) on March 8?
- A: Yes, e.g. via
- Gender equality is SDG5: https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/gender-equality/
- Maternal health is Target 3.1: https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/health/
- However, the Swedish embassies want to focus on biographies because they are fairly easy for newbies to write.
- Action: We should do lists of Women related to the SDGs for WikiGap that we can provide to the Wikigap events. (No one was assigned as lead on this task.)
1-3 April SDG Global Festival of Action in Bonn
- https://globalfestivalofaction.org/bepartoftheprogram/ Deadline tomorrow
- Remote event about doing remote events under the theme "inspiring the new normal" was considered https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiProject_remote_event_participation
- Tables and displays - John might be able to attend
- Action: Jan and John will meet again tomorrow to try to submit something.
- Daniel is happy to review
6 March Open Belgium 2020
- Jan has submitted a proposal for a lightning talk yesterday after being invited by the organizers.
COP 2020 (Glasgow)
- Q: Should we try to attend?
- A: Yes, that is a good idea.
- Action: John has some contacts he will talk to to find out more.
Becoming a thematic organization?
We talked about this in order to be able to apply for some stuff. People agreed it was a good idea.
- Action: Jan starts a subpage on the wiki for the process of becoming one.
The process of creating a thematic organization from thematic UG has started recently, does anyone know something more?
- Daniel is with Wikiproject Med and was involved in the process of them becoming a thematic organisation
Any other business
Longer term strategy in general
What is Wikimedia's role in the SDGs?
- See https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Environmental_sustainability/Mapping_Wikimedia_activities_towards_the_Global_Goals for some starting points
We found that the SDG framework is the most known one, and that it makes sense to relate our work to this.
- Decision: We will use the SDGs as a framework.
We discussed and thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of overview of all the related activities that is already ongoing in this topic on the various projects. This was partly brought up as an idea of what to show off if we were to have a stall or a table at an event.
Some French projects:
Jan showed this from 2014 which have some research on the different Progress tabs:
- Need to create a subpage to map the type of articles faling under the scope of Sustainable developement.
- The issue of peak oil as another potential topic falling under this SD scope has been raised in the discussion.
- John gets a lot of opportunities with UN agencies to do work but doesn't have capacity to do everything, ideas for where these opportunities could go.
- Post them on Telegram.
- Maybe float around the idea about local chapters being involved where agencies' headquarters are located.
- We discussed the role of chapters, thematic groups and user groups related to this.
I don't know what to call it, something about creating content and running events
- Some ideas for what people could do around Education for Sustainable Development with money
- Big grant proposal
- Small grant around climate change
What could we do?
Start a list of possible activities, and note which ones of them that need funding.
- Action: John starts a subpage.
- Action: John will setup a Doodle for the exact time in about four weeks time.