Wikipedia Asian Month/Media
Wikipedia Asian Month is an online edit-a-thon aimed at promoting Asian content in Wikipedia.
Wikipedia started in 2001 as an online encyclopedia and has grown to support more than 200 languages. Although when people referring Wikipedia, what they usually mean is English Wikipedia, most of Wikipedia contents were actually distributed across all different language editions.
In the smaller editions of Wikipedia, there are only a handful of editors creating content for their Wikipedia edition. By giving out an appreciation to them, it makes them feel connected and appreciated in the Wikimedia movement. This, in turn, may lead to the editors creating more content to Wikipedia and staying longer to edit Wikipedia of their language.
More than half of the world's population lives in Asia. But their content is under-represented in Wikipedia. To address this issue, Wikipedia Asian Month promotes its participants to create content about Asian topics. This can be seen as a cultural exchange across Wikipedia editions, exposing the editors to multiple perspectives across different nations and cultures.
In the 2015 edition, Wikipedia Asian Month:
- More than 40 Wikipedia language editions participated
- More than 1,000 users took part
- More than 6,000 new articles were created
- More than 4,000 articles had decent content
- 13 Wikimedia affiliations took part in planning, execution, and post-event
- Postcards were sent to 44 countries/regions
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Bashkir Wikipedia volunteers are involved in the international Wiki-Marathon "Wikipedia Asian Month". bashinform.ru. Oct.26, 2015
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Running lines about Wikipedia Asian Month on the music channel "Kurai". Oct.26, 2015
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Interview Sibaу TV: Laysan from Sibaу, a participant Wiki-Marathon "Wikipedia Asian Month". Oct.28, 2015
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Aysar Üz̦änbaev. Volunteers - at least five articles!. Bashkortostan Newspaper. Oct.29, 2015
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Викимарафон «Месяц Азии». Institute of Bashkir State University. 3 November 2015.
- Sibai Institute of Bashkir State University encourages students and teachers to participate in vikimarafone Wikipedia Asian Month.
- Wikimedia Blog: Addis Wang. Community Digest—help improve articles about Asia during November. Nov.6 2015
- Sakha, Russia: Каждый уважающий себя человек должен уметь писать статьи в википедию. Sakhalife.ru Nov.09, 2015
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Bashkir satellite TV morning program "Sәlәm": volunteers Firuza Abdullina and Zufar Salikhov talk about Wiki-Marathon "Wikipedia Asian Month"
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Team Bashkir Wikipedia adequately addressed worldwide wikimarafone bashinform.ru. Dec.01, 2015
- Azerbaijan: “Vikipediya”da “Asiya” ayına start verilib Azertag.az Nov.04, 2015
- India: Malayalam Wiki adding muscle after lull The Hindu, December 29, 2015
- Bangladesh: শুরু হচ্ছে ‘উইকিপিডিয়া এশীয় মাস’ নামে নিবন্ধ লেখার প্রতিযোগিতা. Nahid Sultan. Wikimedia Bangladesh. 28 October, 2016
- India: Wikipedia Asian Month — 2016 iteration starts on 1 November. Tito Dutta. Centre for Internet & Society. 30 October, 2016
- U.S: Community digest: Editors around the world get ready for Wikipedia Asian Month, news in brief. Samir Elsharbaty. Wikimedia Foundation. November 1st, 2016
- Bashkortostan, Russia: Волонтеры Башкирской Википедии принимают участие в нескольких конкурсах 2 ноября 2017 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Blog: Addis Wang. As Wikipedia Asian Month returns, meet one of its top contributors: J. Patrick Fischer. November 10, 2017
- The Hindu: Divya Kala Bhavani Wikipedia Asian Month: Voice for the under-represented. November 19, 2018
Coverage of Wikipedia Asian Month 2018
- China: LETC Earthquake and Tsunami Forum（Chinese: LETC地震海啸同好会）: 2018年维基百科亚洲月：中文维基百科地震类条目集锦. December 17, 2018
Promotional video on what Wikipedia Asian Month is about
Presentation of Wikipedia Asian Month at Wikimania 2016 international conference