Wikipedia Welcomes Medical Students
Wikipedia Welcomes Medical Students is an orientation program aimed at undergraduate and postgraduate medical students of various institutes. This is supposed to be an interactive event which can be organized in collaboration with respective teaching institutes.
The workshop broadly has two target groups, viz.
- The medical students from a respective institute
- The teaching faculty of the respective institute
The program attempts to provide basic guidelines around:
- Introduction to the pillars of Wikipedia, the Wikimedia movement, the wiki culture and the significance of collaborative contribution.
- Guidelines pertaining to WP:MEDMOS using presentations like this or this.
- Guidelines like this.
- The Creative Commons license and how their contributions could get recognition as author as their work gets used.
- A hands-on workshop for the medical students at the institute.
- The scope of recognition through contributions to Wikiversity:WikiJournal of Medicine.
- A guide for the teaching faculty about how to arrange for student assignments and how to use Wikipedia for for training.
- GLAM project.
Such events need to have a well-thought follow-up plan.
Things to do
- Design templates and presentations to be used.
- Customize guidelines to be made use of.
- Involve participants.
- Network with prospective medical institutes and prospective resource persons.
- Apply for grants and arrange for the events.
Prospective resource materials
- w:Wikipedia:New York Academy of Sciences/Women in Science Editathon 2016#Editing Wikipedia resources
- Let's host a medicine-themed Wikipedia editing event: Presentation by Bluerasberry at w:Wikipedia:New York Academy of Medicine/October 2016 (also this)
- WikiProject Medicine three years on: “converting clinicians to active digital contributors”
- An example of sample event
- en:Category:WikiProject Medicine meetups
- en:w:Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/AMSA - Wikipedia collaboration/AMSA wiki class (materials password protected)
- Presentations like this, this and this
- File:Editing Wikipedia articles on medicine.pdf
- File:Evaluating Wikipedia brochure.pdf
- w:Health information on Wikipedia
- w:Health information on the Internet
- w:Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Popular pages
- w:Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Research publications
- Editing Wikipedia Articles (Open Educational Practices) on youtube
- Wikipedia education program in medicine
- w:Wikipedia:GLAM/Calicut Medical College/Department of Pathology
- Tel Aviv’s new university course is dedicated to contributing to Wikipedia: Wikimedia Blog
- Wiki-Med: The Story of the First Full Wikipedia Course in Israel: Wikimedia Blog
- File:Wikimania 2016, Imagine a world in which every university has a wiki-advisor by Shani Evenstein.webm