This is the Wikivoyage Lounge on Meta where we discuss the Wikivoyage project in general and issues related to one language version. Old discussions are archived.
Monthly reports from each edition of the one and only Wikivoyage, the English Wikivoyage can be found on the Summit page.
- 1 Banners
- 2 Recent changes on en: that might be useful for other languages
- 3 Violation of CC-BY-SA License by Wikitravel regarding Template:Pagebanner
- 4 Experiences with Wikivoyage writing workshops
- 5 Maps for Wikivoyage
- 6 The Wikidata Listings Olympics
- 7 The visual editor
- 8 How to create a page for contributions in Tamil ?
- 9 Important:Content Translation tool
- 10 Create banners easily with CropTool
Lang Using pagebanner Usage (pagebanners / destinations[articles?]) Notes/discussions/projects (fill out yourself) de 30 - Discussion el 96 ~0.52 Περίπτερο επισκεπτών en voy:Category:Has_banner
3,059 custom, 22,728 default, 25878 total as of 8 Aug 2013
99.7% of main space articles have banners
18.3% have custom banners as of 27 August 2013
voy:Wikivoyage talk:Banner Expedition
(1 October 2014)
99,6 % of main space articles have banners La posada, etc. fr 6194 100 % (65,9 % with a personnalised banner) Café des Voyageurs, etc. he 2121 2121/2145 ~98% it 999 (100% custom banner - no default banner has been implemented) (9 August 2013) 999/3071 ~33% (9 August 2013) it:voy:Wikivoyage:Lounge/Archivio/2013/07#Pagebanner etc. nl Negligible (~0) ~0 Reizigerscafé pl 0 (?) 0 ? pt 330 custom banners, default banner in all other articles 100% implementation, roughly 10% with custom banners pt:voy:Wikivoyage:Banners ro 0 (?) 0 ? ru 265 100% default banners, roughly 12% custom banners Пивная путешественников (2013), original sv 2 custom banners, default banner in all other articles ? Banners active since 2015 uk 352 (incl. default) ? too bored to compute Кнайпа, etc.? vi used in all articles (per Wikivoyage/Summit#vi) ? ? zh voy:zh:Category:使用横幅条目 959 total 100% implementation 72.2% with custom banners voy:zh:Wikivoyage:横幅远征队
- Great, thanks.--Ymblanter (talk) 06:59, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
- en: is up to date. · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 08:18, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
- it: updated as well. --Andyrom75 (talk) 07:51, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
- pt: updated. Texugo (talk) 19:39, 21 September 2013 (UTC)
- zh: added. --Zhuyifei1999 (talk) 10:44, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
- sv: added. -- Dan Koehl (talk) 21:02, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
- de: updated. -- FriedhelmW (talk) 14:56, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- he: updated. -- Dekel E (talk) 10:01, 29 August 2015 (UTC)
- fr: updated. --Omondi (talk) 09:42, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
Recent changes on en: that might be useful for other languages
There have been two recent changes on English Wikivoyage that other language versions might be interested in:
- The listing editor has been significantly updated. See voy:en:Wikivoyage:Listing editor#Changelog for a list of all changes. The code at voy:en:MediaWiki:Gadget-ListingEditor.js has been heavily commented to hopefully make it easier to customize for other languages, and if anyone is interested I can help to port things. An untested sample implementation for Italian Wikivoyage can be viewed at voy:en:User:Wrh2/Gadget-ListingEditor-it.js
- The page banner is now using the new mw:Extension:WikidataPageBanner extension. This extension allows smaller files to be downloaded on mobile devices and enables a drop-down table of contents so that sub-headings are again navigable. Any language wanting to use this extension would need to request that it be enabled via a phabricator: ticket.
While language issues and different community preferences make it difficult to coordinate between Wikivoyage language versions, if any other language versions would like to try to consolidate the different listing editors and banner implementations in use across projects I'm willing to help coordinate. -- Ryan • (talk) • 00:20, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
- Ryan, I already talked about pagebanner extension with some WMF staff linked to it in order to deploy it to eswikivoyage, but seems that it was forgotten. I will open a community discussion to request input on the deployment of this extension, which I consider essential to wikivoyage mobile. Regarding Listing Editor v2, by now no one has manifested interest to take the job. --Zerabat (discusión) 14:14, 3 January 2016 (UTC) S
March 20, 2013, users of English Wikivoyage created the template Pagebanner. July 3, 2014, an user of Wikitravel created the template with the same code as the enwikivoyage version as March 30, 2014 (I guess they used Export feature of enwikivoyage in order to create their local copy, as you can see an edit by a bot previously the creation of the template).
This issue was noticed by annonymous users, that complained it in the talk page. But this was ignored by one IB employee and the other blanked and fully protected the talk page.
Today and since that time, neither in its history page, template page, documentation subpage nor talk page, hadn't the proper attribution to their author and license. Then, What's up? Is this going to go on? --Zerabat (discusión) 22:43, 18 January 2016 (UTC)
- I think it is reasonable to try to contact WMF legal.--Ymblanter (talk) 22:07, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
- It looks to me that Special:Log/Import on their site attributes this particular infringement to a staff member, not some random user:
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Purge by file upload (2 revisions)
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Pagebanner/doc by file upload (4 revisions)
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Documentation subpage by file upload (2 revisions)
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Documentation/docname by file upload (2 revisions)
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Documentation by file upload (2 revisions)
- 00:26, 3 March 2015 IBcaldera (Talk | contribs) imported Template:Pagebanner by file upload (26 revisions)
Experiences with Wikivoyage writing workshops
I've a general request. Does anybody have experiences with Wikivoyage writing workshops? I imagine it as a place where authors and people who haven't contributed to any wikis yet meet. They write travel guides about their city, take pictures and publish it on Wikivoyage. Did anything similar to this happened so far? How was it? What did you learn out of it? Pointing me to related discussions and pages would also be nice.
- We planned one writing workshop at the WikiCon 2015 in Cologne, but as it was announced too late, noone attended. :-/ I think, of course with more time for planning, that conferences of the wikimedia movement are a good place to begin. There you are able to reach out to wikipedians, who haven't thought about Wikivoyage that much, but also to those, who have prejudices. --Timmaexx (talk) 20:29, 13 February 2016 (UTC)
Maps for Wikivoyage
Dear Wikivoyage community, I would like to update you on the progress with our Maps efforts, and make a small request.
Our maps service has been running without problems for many months. It is a stable and secure map tile platform, capable of much higher web traffic than our current labs OSM service, which is slow, unmaintained, and has crashed on numerous occasions. You may include new maps on every Wikivoyage page without causing any server overload problems.
Very soon we plan to roll out Kartographer extension to Wikivoyage. You can try it here. Kartographer supports many styles of marks, with icons and auto-numbering. Kartographer also has Visual Editor support.
The Wikimedia Maps service may not be perfect, but we think it is important to not compromise user's privacy by just visiting a page.
There are two places that need to change:
- In the Template:Mapframe, change
- In the Template:PoiMap2, change
The new maps service will be further improved with the upcoming Kartographer extension. While we are not ready to deploy Kartographer just yet, we also ask to help review the extension ahead of time. Please help review Kartographer extension documentation and our demo, and see if it meets your needs, or if anything should be changed. Please leave us a note on the Kartographer extension talk page if you have any feedback.
- Relevant discussions at English Wikivoyage
- Grayed-out maps - Discussion on how to make Template:PoiMap2 point to the right default.
- Announcing the launch of Maps - Initial announcement of the new maps service with a long discussion.
The Wikidata Listings Olympics
- French Wikivoyage: 3933 listings with a Wikidata identifier property, 6090 listings with a Wikipedia identifier property
- Russian Wikivoyage: 2320 listings with a Wikidata identifier property
- German Wikivoyage: 273 listings with a Wikidata identifier property
- English Wikivoyage: 592 listings with a Wikidata identifier property
- Ukrainian: Wikipedia identifier property present in listing template, not counted
- Greek, Spanish, Hebrew, Polish, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, Vietnamese: No Wikidata property
as of August 2016, counted with the Wikivoyage Listings tool.
Wikidata could be used to:
- Cross-validate listing details,
- Factorize listing details,
- Fill missing listing details,
- Easily add new listings to articles that have too few (what transvoyage does right now),
- Generate static information pages for languages that have no Wikivoyage yet, such as Hindi or Korean,
- And many other things, new mashups appear everyday with Wikidata.
While every Wikivoyage has their own preferences on how far to go with Wikidata, having Wikidata identifier properties in listings is a starting point we should all strive for, I think :-)
- In Russian Wikivoyage, we do have Wikidata in listings.--Ymblanter (talk) 20:12, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- Updated counts with yesterday's data. Syced (talk) 04:41, 2 June 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for repairing the links--Ymblanter (talk) 06:42, 2 June 2016 (UTC)
The visual editor
Hello, all! This is just a note to say that, if you're involved in the smaller Wikivoyages, please check your local Traveller's Pub or equivalent page this week for information about editing tools.
Also, I noticed that the listings buttons in the toolbar for the wikitext editor are showing the wrong icons on several Wikivoyages – curved lines, rather than the correct icons. (Example) It seems to me that this has been discussed before and that someone knows how to fix it. (This problem doesn't affect the bigger Wikivoyages: German doesn't seem to have these, and en, fr, it, and ru are displaying them correctly.) If you know or can find out how to fix these, then maybe we can work together to get this fixed. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 18:30, 8 June 2016 (UTC)
- This issue with the listings buttons comes from several months ago, and I particulary don't know how to fix it. --Zerabat (discusión) 15:36, 13 June 2016 (UTC)
How to create a page for contributions in Tamil ?
- Hello Jayreborn! You can start a Tamil Wikivoyage in the Incubator, see the instructions at Wikivoyage#Creation. Thanks and good luck! :-) Syced (talk) 08:34, 28 July 2016 (UTC)
Important:Content Translation tool
- The tool was just disabled on the English Wikipedia because users were producing substandard articles and did not care to clean them up. To be honest, given a great difference in formatting, in particular, the listing template across different Wikivoyage versions, I do not expect anything better for Wikivoyage.--Ymblanter (talk) 16:53, 30 July 2016 (UTC)
- User:AFlorence, do you want to use the Content Translation Tool to translate pages from the English Wikivoyage to the Farsi Wikivoyage, like editors at the Farsi Wikipedia do with articles from the English Wikipedia? You need to ask User:Amire80 to enable it as a Beta Feature there.
- Andyrom is correct that the translation of the text itself needs to be done by a human, but it can help a lot with links and templates. Since the listing templates at the Farsi Wikivoyage support English parameter names, then this would probably work very well for you. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 08:52, 1 August 2016 (UTC)
- FYI, another content "translation" tool, which transforms formats from English Wikivoyage to French Wikivoyage, but does not translate the text itself: https://github.com/inkhey/Transvoyage.py Cheers! Syced (talk) 13:18, 7 August 2016 (UTC)
- Go to https://tools.wmflabs.org/croptool/
- Log in
- Paste the name of a Commons image, for instance: Sainte-Enimie-Gorges du Tarn-Frankreich.jpg
- Specify 7:1 as a custom aspect ratio
- Drag, resize, move the selection box
- Save as a new image with a simple click.
So much easier than anything I have used before!