Minor bug on www.wikipedia.org
Hi Minh, I'd like to report that a couple of users at id.wikipedia found some missing text on www.wikipedia.org. Above the search box there is text that's supposed to show like this:
... hľadať · søg · cari"
But it only shows this:
... hľadať · søg · ca", and in some resolutions only this: "
... hľadať · søg ·"
- Xem User talk:Dragunova.
Hi. Could you comment at User talk:MZMcBride re this. I believe we should use the ugly encoding to maximize user agent compatibility and to pass validation (well, w:HTML Tidy). The overall discussion is about taking the www.wikipedia.org page to a new design; nothing specific proposed yet. Cheers, Jack Merridew 09:15, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
- See User talk:MZMcBride.
Cheers, Jack Merridew 14:56, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
This may fix it; I've not tested it, yet. I'll find an internet cafe with a lame browser. There's other stuff in the /temp page, but nothing that should be a problem. Cheers, Jack Merridew 09:46, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- Ignore that; it wasn't gonna work anyway as I left the style-element and comment marks out in my haste. TEB728 experimented locally and says the height 100% was doing it. That was only for IE6; I'll have to look into that. Without the height, it works fine in all the modern browsers. Mebbe we should sniff the user agent and redirect IE6 users to mozilla.com; wmf-wide. The IE-conditional I was starting on could still be used to selectively degrade the user experience for IE6. I've put a lot of similar changes into the other portal /temp pages, but none have this stuff. I've omitted that part until stuff settles-out. I'm still going to find an IE6 machine and have a further look-see. Connections here are terrible today, so this may drift; someone may revert the whole bit. The diffs will not be clear as the engine gets confused by format changes. Cheers, Jack Merridew 10:38, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- Hi. I'm on an IE6 machine. Ick. The last fix that cut the 100% works. There is another issue, but it's minor. The selectors targeting elements to remove the onhover underline from the bits other than the language ae not beening parsed so all the text gets the underline; not biggie in my book. So, you, someone should either just cut the height: 100%; from the current page or sync the /temp. Sorry for the hassle. Cheers, Jack Merridew 11:46, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- Hi; on IE8 on XP and things look fine. Seems someone got around to fixing a few things. I broke the en.wikisource.org s:Main Page for better than a day last year. Cheers, Jack Merridew 12:43, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- All over, all fixed.
Note that all the portal pages are getting an hscroll bar in the compatibility mode; it's the width: 1100%; in the bookshelf code; you get like 5x screen width off-right. I think they go sooner better than later. Cheers, Jack Merridew 13:24, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- See User talk:Sj.
- It's certainly a long-term discussion. And strange that only those two proposals have been considered seriously -- this is a famous and highly visible page! Now that Jack and others are actively working on improving the page, it seems like a good time to get new designers involved. Thanks for highlighting those related bugs; I've been trying to gather important bugs for various long-term projects, since we don't have a unified set of priorities at the moment (or even a list of a hundred different clusters of priorities belonging to different groups).
- Before any large poll is started, existing discussions about the portal should be consolidated -- they are hard to follow, especially for someone coming in fresh. The odd naming convention for the portal pages doesn't help. We need to convert something like Initiatives into a meta-equivalent of w:Wikipedia:Wikiprojects, and organize a discussion there - that is something that visitors from large wikipedias might be more comfortable with. -- sj | help translate |+ 06:31, 21 July 2009 (UTC)
- See User talk:Sj.
Notice of review of adminship
In accordance with Meta:Administrators/Removal and because you have made fewer than ten logged actions over the past six months, your adminship is under review at Meta:Administrators/Removal/October 2009. If you would like to retain your adminship, please sign there before 2009-10-9. Kind regards, —Anonymous DissidentTalk 15:19, 2 October 2009 (UTC)