Amical Wikimedia/September 2015
Welcome to Amical Wikimedia monthly report of September 2015
Repte Monuments 2015: Monuments writing challenge
The Repte Monuments is a writing challenge about monuments organized by Amical Wikimedia during September 2015, in parallel with the photo contest Wiki Loves Monuments, and focused on lists of monuments available in the Catalan Wikipedia.
Amical Wikimedia has collaborated in the organization of three editions of Wiki Loves Monuments, from 2011 to 2013, and also in Wiki Loves Earth 2014 & 2015. There was the potential risk that participants, partners and organizers felt saturated of photographic contests. Amical decided to do not participate in the 2014 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments, but September has become the month of monuments, so we decided to switch to a writing challenge. After last year's success. This year we are happy to announce 2015 :
- 25 registered participants
- 174 involved editors
- 1.946 new articles created
- 5.761 edits in 4.783 different articles.
2 literature online writing contests
As we are working closely with public libraries, we do a lot of literature-related contests. A year ago we worked with a group of independent publishers who publish in Catalan Language creating a wikiproject to promote reading in Catalan. As we said then, Amical Wikimedia also wants to promote reading in the Catalan language and its dissemination, so we encourage everyone to create and / or expand the items of a list of authors who have published works in Catalan, whether original or translated. The three winners received a set of 3, 1 book, respectively. We think it is an exciting way to discover the authors publishing their articles in Wikipedia and then enjoy their books. The more articles expand, the more chances of winning one of the lots. On the other hand, we did a second online writing contest asking public librarians to write Wikipedia articles about book publishers. Results weren't as good as expected, probably due to the coincidence of several ongoing writing challenges at a time.
Wiki takes Gelida
Under the slogan "Bring your camera to the public library" on September 19 Gelida public library organized a local wikitakes. The aim of the activity was complete and update the photographs of monuments of protected listed buildings. The activity was a success: It involved more than 40 people of all ages: young public, families and elder people. The profile of attendees was very varied. Event was organizer by the library together with two associations: the Flash Gelida (dedicated to photography) and the Association of Friends of the Castle of Gelida (linked to the Castle and architectural heritage), therefore we had the participation of people linked these organizations, but also others, such as those that are already active in social networks, teachers, staff involved in the administration and parents. More than 1.700 new pictures of local heritage!!!
Ongoing programmes & projects
Here you have a list of all the ongoing programs/projects that Amical is promoting during 2015.
- General — GLAM portal
- Wikipedians in Residence — Biblioteca Museu Víctor Balaguer
- Libraries — Libraries Wikiproject (spin off projects:Andorra, Castellar del Vallès, Moià, Navarcles, Tarragona)
Other educational centers
- Institut Ramon Muntaner i Gonçal Anaya (Xirivella) - Viquiprojecte:Xirivella/Instituts (secondary school)
- September 2 - La Setmana del Llibre en català 10 days writing contest.
- September 10 - Whorkshop and edit-a-thon in Palma, organized by ArqueoMallorca, Aforesg and Vàngelis Villar (ArqueoMallorca 2015)
- September 12 - Edit-a-thon on Catalan Culture at Gràcia Centre of Sabadell. Leptictidium Davidpar
- September 14 - End of the 10x10 project where librarians write Wikipedia historical articles about main publishers.
- September 19 - Wikipedia session at a local-based cultural associations meeting in Torrent. Pacopac, TaronjaSatsuma
- September 19 - Wiki Takes Gelida. Kippelboy. (Blogpost)
- September 22 - Berguedà county libraries edit-a-thon. Pitxiquin
- September 30 - Empordà Gastronomy edit-a-thon in La Bisbal d'Empordà, organized by Paputx and Laura.Girona
- September 8 - Introductional meeting with the culture councilor of Castelló city council. Pacopac, TaronjaSatsuma
- September 15 - Meeting with CCCB to aling strategies for the next course barcelona, Kippelboy, Davidpar
- September 22 - Introdutional meeting with the librarian and two high-school principals to organise GLAM-Wiki projects in Xirivella TaronjaSatsuma
- September 28 - Meeting with Museu Maritim librarian barcelona, KRLS, Docosong
- September 21 - Wikipedia workshop with Linguistic students from UB barcelona
- September 30 - Wikipedia workshop with high-school teachers in Xirivella TaronjaSatsuma
- September 30 - Public presentation and press conference about WikiArS in Tarragona, see this month media coverage and the highlight of this story in our June report. Lluis_tgn & Dvdgmz
- September 8 - Meeting about WikiArS in Tarragona 2014-2015 and planning for this academic year, the 3th one. With National Archeology Museum of Tarragona and School of Art and Design in Tarragona. Dvdgmz & Lluis_tgn
- September 9 - Collaboration group online Meeting. Kippelboy
- September 30 - Meeting with Politica Lingüística barcelona
- September 2-3 - Attending 1st ever Wikipedia & Science conference in London Kippelboy (Blogpost)
- September 18 - Wikidata talk in Free Software Day KRLS
- September 25- CNPL Wikipedia workshop. Kippelboy
- September 16 - Introductory meeting with Editorial Mediterrania. Kippelboy
- September 5 - Community meeting in order to discuss & prepare Amical's APG draft - 2016
- September 9 - Skype meeting with WMF representatives to evaluate our reports. Kippelboy
- September 17 - Working group meeting for drafting APG 2016 proposal. Kippelboy
- 30 September:
- 29 September, El MNAT, la Wikimedia y estudiantes de arte recrean vestigios romanos, La Vanguardia
- 27 September, Romeva i Arrimadas, els candidats més buscats, Nació Digital
- 22 September, "Diecisiete entidades de l'Horta piden planes que eviten la desaparición del patrimonio", Levante-El Mercantil Valenciano, p.29
- Benito Pericas, Laia i Parreño Mont, David. "Democràcia en dues direccions", Valors, p. 23 (September 2015).
- 20 September, Existir (o no) a la Viquipèdia, Bon dia
|Program||Event/project/task||#Active Editors||#New editors||#People involved||Media Used||#Articles improved||#Bytes||Other Comments|
|1 - CARE||Amical 2016 strategy meeting||8||8|
|2 - GLAM||Wikipedia session at a local-based cultural associations meeting in Torrent.||50||Two press mentions|
|2 - GLAM||La Setmana del Llibre writing challenge||4||0||10||6||10||Project URL|
|2 - GLAM||10x10 writing Challenge||9||3||25||12||29||Project URL|
|2- GLAM||Catalan culture editathon in Sabadell||2|
|2- GLAM||Wiki Takes Gelida||5||35||42||150||1704 pics done. Still uploading some of them|
|2- GLAM||Bages & Bergedà counties editathon||25||20||30||15||35|
|3 - EDU||Wikipedia workshop with high-school teachers in Xirivella||6||9||Program has to be developed in October|
|3 - EDU||WikiArS public presentation in Tarragona||~100|
|4- COM||Repte Monuments 2015||25||0||174||1750||4783||
|4-COM||Wikidata workshop on Free software day 2015||2||8|
|4-COM||CNPL Workshop in Girona||18||15||20||20||Wikiedia workshop to linguist professionals|