This is an open submission for the Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Sustainability of underrepresented language wikis: DEATH NO VALUE
- Submission format
- Pre-recorded video presentation (10–30 minutes)
- Language of presentation
- I will record copies in ENGLISH, RUSSIAN & TATAR
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Languages of Russia, Wikimedia Russia, WUG Tatar Language Community, WUG Turkic languages, Commission for the Preservation and Strengthening of Tatar language use under the auspices of the Republic of Tatarstan President
- Personal homepage or blog
- @Russian Wikinews
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
|“||Young people need language-related attractive role models to be interested in associating themselves with their heritage language. Such areas of language use as home and school are no longer good enough, folklore culture with its nostalgia of the past is not exciting at all. ...[O]nly youth itself can create its own culture and role models.||”|
No money, no love...
In the global Babylon with countries, ideologies, religions, nations, ethnicities and all other brands, etc., plus 7100+ languages all competing for limited human attention, time is at least as valuable as money. Unlike nostalgia-prone adults, rational youth invests this non-renewable resource only into projects with best available returns. Long-term survival of cultural worlds require these to be convenient as thinking environments and communication tools, offer freedom for creativity and provide access to modern conceptual map of objective reality. Preservation, transmission and development of intangible cultural heritage requires collaboration of all living generations and social groups, but this common good will only be supported by everybody if and only if it adequately describes things of value for all user groups.
We will present on Tatar Wikipedia community's completed successful experiments with large-scale contests open for absolute wiki-newbies (My Tatarstan, Tatar 4.0), as well as further developments on the contest and other approach-based projects that will help us to get through the glass ceiling of frequent invisibility in Google/Yandex search results (Wikidata Census.tatar & Wiki-Smart Rural Municipality).
At over 3% of Russia's language population, Tatar is the largest underrepresented language community (5,5 million speakers w/in the country). It's much luckier than all other almost 200 local languages that don't have both official regional status and other forms of support enjoyed by Tatar, with its speakers living Russia-wide and Tatarstan authorities, one of country's leading economically, culturally and infrastructurally developed 10 regions - home to some 1/3 of Tatar speakers. With this in mind, Tatar Wikipedia and respective language community is defacto expected to lead the way and show the inspiring example to other language communities of the country.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will gain insight into Tatar Wikipedia community's approach to making underfunded local language more visible, prestigious and attractive for Wiki-contribution + updated on the Outcomes and Progress with the mentioned projects & new developments since filing this submission
- Theme of session
- Empowering wiki communities
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- (Russian) "Для того, чтобы отождествлять себя с унаследованным родным языком, молодёжи требуются привлекательные образцы для подражания, связанные с этим языком. Такие сферы употребления языка, как дом и школа, уже не вполне достаточны, ностальгирующая по прошлому фольклорная культура нисколько не привлекает. ... [Т]олько молодёжь может сама создавать свою культуру и образцы для подражания."
Замятин К., Пасанен А., Саарикиви Я. "Как и зачем сохранять языки России". / Часть III. "Пути сохранения языков под угрозой исчезновения. Практические советы", Глава "Преподавание на языке меньшинства в школе", раздел "Что кроме школы и после школы?", 162 с. ("How to and why keep languages of Russia". / Part III. "Ways of preserving vulnerable languages. Practical advice", Chapter "Minority languages as a medium of instruction at school", section "What on top of and how about after school?", )