Australian Wikimedians Biota User Group
Australian Wikimedians Biota User Group (AWBUG) (pending name)
16th June 2019 decision
AWBUG was a Proposed User Group in Australia - at a meeting in Sydney 16th June 2018 at Sydney University it was decided to stay as an informal group, that is within the ambit of Wikimedia Australia rather than a formal User Group.
The Australian project is one a few country projects to have biota project as a specific sub - project.
Scope and aim of project
The aim of group is to improve and expand information about Australian biota on Wikimedian projects
- by working in the specific guidelines of what User Groups are able to do within the framework of Affiliate organisations
The group is focused on the standardization and expansion of quality of content in existing material in the current project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Australian_biota
The group is seeking addition and increase of material about biota in Australia not currently listed
- through a process of checking materials within the project that is incomplete or partially listed
The group is seeking collaboration and partnerships with biota information holders in Australia.
- through data sharing or collaborative projects utilising Wikimedia projects to improve quality and spread of Australian biota information
The group is also seeking increased awareness of the project, and encouragement of increased involvement of contributors and editors.
The group is keen to align with all strategies in the current strategy process that might strengthen and improve understanding the capacity of Wikimedia projects to provide information and collaboration that improves knowledge of Australian biota and its diversity and uniqueness
The group is also keen to be able to partner in programmes of biota information sharing and promotion within the media and education system in Australia
- Setting up a scheme where data within wikimedia projects have verification features for biota information
Giantflightlessbirds - Mike Dickison - Patron of AWBUG
Participants and interested parties
- User:GDerrin 31 May 2019
- Let's give it a whirl Casliber (talk) 13:28, 31 May 2019 (UTC)
- I'm with you. MargaretRDonald (talk) 01:23, 1 June 2019 (UTC)
- User:Hughesdarren 1 June 2019
- Gnangarra (talk) - as discussed with the Affiliates committee, I support/endorse this UG and see no issues with it over lapping WMAU
Is open to anyone with any interest in Australian Biota, in any form in any Wikimedia project - to encourage improving and expanding content.
Involvement - involvement with the user group and its aims will be explained on a separate page on meta.
Off-wiki communication between participants has been open since May 2017, and the user group idea was inspired by the patron of this group giving a talk at ESEAP in Bali 2018.
An on-wiki meta newsletter will be produced after formal recognition.