Welcome to Meta!
Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Fall 2018 edition
Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!
- Community updates
- Multilingual Captions, the first feature release for Structured Data, is coming in January of 2019
- Be on the lookout for the beta testing announcement
- Help using captions has been set up, if you'd like to go ahead and see the workflow
- Two IRC office hours were held since the last newsletter
- Our dedicated IRC channel: wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
- Help determine and propose properties on Wikidata for Commons
- Review designs for structured licensing and copyright
- Join the community focus group!
Since the last newsletter:
- Review a prototype for searching structured Commons (October 2018)
- "Good coverage" for depicts tagging (Sept. 2018)
- Review and discuss mockups for displaying the new metadata section of the file page (18 September - 9 October 2018)
- Depicts statements draft requirements (14 August - 31 August 2018)
- Identify Wikidata properties that Commons will need (26 June - 14 August 2018)
- Presentation by Keegan on the first features to be released for Structured Data, presented at Wikiconference North America, Columbus, Ohio, October 2018.
- Sandra presented a project update at the GLAM-Wiki conference in Tel Aviv, Israel, November 2018, as part of an update and panel discussion.
- Structured Data on Commons was the subject of a keynote presentation by Sandra (see slides) at the Baltic Audiovisual Archives Council conference in Tallinn, Estonia, November 2018.
- Partners and allies
- The info portal on Structured Commons now includes a section on GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums).
- We are currently planning the first GLAM pilot projects that will use structured data on Wikimedia Commons. One project has already started: the Swedish Heritage Board researches and develops a prototype tool to provide improved metadata (translations, data additions...) from Wikimedia Commons back to the source institution. Read the project brief.
- The documentation for batch uploads of files to Wikimedia Commons will be improved in 2019, as part of preparing for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons. To prepare, the GLAM team at the Wikimedia Foundation wants to understand better which types of documentation you already use, and how you like to learn new GLAM-Wiki skills and knowledge. Fill in a short survey to provide input!
- Stay up to date!
- Follow the Structured Data on Commons project on Phabricator: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/34/
- Subscribe to this newsletter to receive it on a talk page of your own choice.
Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 17:58, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Captions in January
My apologies if this is a duplicate message for you, it is being sent to multiple lists which you may be signed up for.
Hi all, following up on last month's announcement...
Multilingual file captions will be released this week, on either Wednesday, 9 January or Thursday, 10 January 2019. Captions are a feature to add short, translatable descriptions to files. Here's some links you might want to look follow before the release, if you haven't already:
- Read over the help page for using captions - I wrote the page on mediawiki.org because captions are available for any MediaWiki user, feel free to host/modify a copy of the page here on Commons.
- Test out using captions on Beta Commons.
- Leave feedback about the test on the captions test talk page, if you have anything you'd like to say prior to release.
Additionally, there will be an IRC office hour on Thursday, 10 January with the Structured Data team to talk about file captions, as well as anything else the community may be interested in. Date/time conversion, as well as a link to join, are on Meta.Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing those who can make it to the IRC office hour on Thursday. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:09, 7 January 2019 (UTC)