CentralNotice/Request/Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Brazil
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Brazil
- , primary contact (Requested at 00:08, 11 February 2020 (UTC))
|Central Notice Settings|
What countries will your campaign target?
What is the purpose of the campaign? How will you measure the success of the campaign?
- Oppose. Brazilian readers of the Portuguese Wikipedia have seen 233 days of banners over the past year, including 180 days of banners shown to anonymous users. Some of that time there were as many as six campaigns running simultaneously. This is an unreasonable level of overuse, and I don't think that Wiki Loves Africa is a sufficiently high-priority banner that this should override the necessity of having some time without banners. --Yair rand (talk) 20:24, 24 February 2020 (UTC)
- Yair rand this is an absurd observation, we are running the WLA at Brazil, for the first time, no Lusophone country was running the Wiki Loves Love 2020 and the banner is appearing for us, you should have said that before, at the Wiki Loves Love 2020, not now.
- We do not have grant money to publicised the campaign outside Wikimedia and we are talking about a very vulnerable and not represented community.
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 16:04, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- @R.T.Argenton: You are right that Wiki Loves Love 2020 probably shouldn't have run in all the areas that it did. There also should have been more restraint in the recent banners, including the Wiki Loves Earth (which ran for two straight months), Wiki Loves Monuments, Asian Month, and others. Hopefully, in the future, people will manage to budget CentralNotice use more reasonably. But for now, we have to deal with the fact that it has been tremendously overused. It should not be used again until a reasonable amount of time has passed. --Yair rand (talk) 02:16, 2 March 2020 (UTC)
Central Notice admin comments
- Please don't forget to list your request in the calender and check for overlapping/conflicting banners. If so, please contact the organiser of the other event(s) and search for solutions. Ciell (talk) 18:47, 24 February 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell this is just the inclusion of Brazil as target of WLA, that is already at the calendar. Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 16:05, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton,
- Is there a need for an extra banner/campaign, or can Brazil just be added to the geotargetting? (Atm the WLA 2020 campaign is targetting AC, AO, BF, BI, BJ, BW, CD, CF, CG, CI, CM, CV, DJ, DZ, EA, EG, EH, ER, ET, FR, GA, GH, GM, GN, GQ, GW, KE, KM, LR, LS, LY, MA, MG, ML, MR, MU, MW, MZ, NA, NE, NG, RE, RW, SC, SD, SH, SL, SN, SO, SS, ST, SZ, TA, TD, TG, TN, TZ, UG, YT, ZA, ZM and ZW).
- (Just adding a country is less work than setting up a new campaign, unless you need a different language/banner/etc) Ciell (talk) 16:11, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- We need to include a Portuguese version of the banner.
- The banner should be the same.
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 16:14, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Portugese is already set for this banner: could you please try and translate it through ?
- If there is indeed community consensus about running a banner for Wiki Loves Africa in Brazil (please share a link to a discussion), and you take care of the translation, I don't see a problem turning it on for you. Ciell (talk) 16:22, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell, as this was an international campaign, the Commons Portuguese Village Pump have a very low engagement and I didn't think it would be a necessary step, as other campaigns also did not requested.
- I can try a discussion there, but I not seeing as fruitful.
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 16:36, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton: Though I understand your dilemma, you must realize this banner isn't just targetting Commons, but ALL Wikimedia projects in ALL languages in the targetted countries. Expanding it's reach to Brazil would mean ALL people visiting ANY WMF project would see the banner about Africa for the whole month of March.
- I would understand a banner about South-Amerika, or Brazil, or about the Portuguese language for that matter. But here I really would like an okay from the community, or at least a message where you inform them although nobody responds. Ciell (talk) 16:48, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell, in which communities do you want me to start this discussion and how long? Because the contest starts tomorrow.
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 17:06, 29 February 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell, I already had a positive answer at Commons c:Commons:Esplanada#Uso_CentralNotice_para_o_Wiki_Loves_Africa. Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 17:04, 2 March 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell I had one more positive answer about the campaign, now at Wikipedia, only one of people that have personal issues with me attack the idea (me more, actually) w:pt:Wikipédia:Esplanada/propostas/Uso CentralNotice para o Wiki Loves Africa (4mar2020) into a non acceptable point, when he cross a unhealthy line.
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 02:23, 8 March 2020 (UTC)