The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Page Table of contents Top-right
Withdrawn by proposer (too many proposals)
- Problem: Large Table of Contents (TOC) allocate useful screen surface often leaving 2/3th of the right screen unused blank. Even a picture cannot be easily put at that location.
- Who would benefit: All MediaWiki users (basically everyone)
- Proposed solution: Frequently the page table of contents takes up a large vertical size of the screen while more than half of the (right) screen width remains blank. The real page content is needlessly shifted down, potentially moving all text off-screen on small screens, with subsequent additional scrolling being required from the user. Moving the TOC from top-left to top-right makes better use of the available screen space and produces a better visual presentation allowing for more easy reading. Frequently leading sections do not contain too much text, nor tables, nor images, so it perfectly aligns the screen layout with the TOC.
- More comments: A few lines of CSS code moves the page table of contents (TOC) "top-right" instead of (the default) "top-left". No further impact on the GUI. No impact on the software. Useful for all skins. Version independent. Only the CSS #toc style needs to be changed. For the CSS code, see mw:Snippets/Page Table of contents Top-right
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 15:55, 4 November 2018 (UTC)