Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Multimedia and Commons/Bulk Overwrite Tool
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Bulk Overwrite Tool
- Problem: Currently many uploaded .svg files are significantly larger than necessary or contain source errors that make them invalid. It is easy to download and fix/improve multiple such files, but it is tedious to subsequently over-write multiple old files with the improved (though visibly identical) improvements. Users visit each file's page individually to overwrite.
- Proposed solution: Create a tool similar to UploadWizard or other bulk uploaders which allows file overwrite. Based upon the uploaded files, the tool should propose the files to be overwritten based on matching file names (and accounting for modifications that wikimedia automatically makes to names of uploaded files) and it should display old and new images side-by-side. While this tool should support bulk overwrites, it should still impose a step for the user to consciously confirm or correct each specific pairing of new file & old file.
- Who would benefit: Anyone who frequently edits .svg files to reduce file size or resolve source code validity errors ... or anyone who makes frequent fixes or changes to multiple image files.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: CdnMCG (talk) 20:56, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- Related to Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Multimedia and Commons/Enable chunked uploads for files that replace existing files I believe. --Izno (talk) 03:41, 23 January 2022 (UTC)
- so basically you would like to drop 20 SVGs into the UploadWizard and say "Yes" to a question like "A file with this name already exist. Would you like to update it?". If yes, I support this. --Valerio Bozzolan (talk) 14:54, 11 February 2022 (UTC)