United States of America
Endangered Heritage in the United States
There are 21 sites in the United States listed on the World Monuments Fund World Monuments Watch (2016, 2014, 2012, 2010 lists), the highest of any country outside of countries where all cultural heritage is listed.
- Mission San Xavier del Bac
- San Esteban del Rey Mission
- George Nakashima House, Studio, and Workshop
- The Cloisters and Palisades
- Chinati Foundation
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
- Charleston Historic District
- Walpi Village
- Orange County Government Center
- 510 Fifth Avenue
- New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture
- Cultural Landscape of Hadley, Massachusetts
- St. Louis Cemetery No. 2
- The Bridges of the Merritt Parkway
- Taliesin West
- Atlanta-Fulton Central Public Library
- Phillis Wheatley Elementary School
- Miami Marine Stadium
- Taos Pueblo
Wikimedia activity in the United States
There are several Wikimedia organisations in the United States including the Wikimedia Foundation, Wiki Education Foundation, Wikimedia District of Columbia, Wikimedia New York City, Wikimedia Cascadia, Wikimedia Midwest US and Texas Wikimedians.
Immovable cultural heritage management in the United States
Sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places on recommendation from the state historic preservation offices. Some states maintain their own state-level historic registers, although in some U.S. states all properties on the state register duplicate the National Register listing. Additonally there are also National Monuments, some of which are natural sites and some man made structures and are managed by several different federal agencies.
Local historic designations in many municipalities provide some limited protection against demolition of historic landmarks. State and city wide lists held by various bodies e.g
State lists in California
- California Historical Landmarks
- California Register of Historical Resources
- California Points of Historical Interest
City lists within cities in California
- List of Berkeley Landmarks, Structures of Merit, and Historic Districts
- Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
- San Francisco Designated Landmarks
Legal protection for immovable cultural heritage works in the United States
The National Register listing in itself confers no protection to a historic property but may qualify the site for matching grants for historic restoration.
Policy decisions on access to public information
A work of the United States government ie the work of US Federal employees is in the public domain. Federally funded bodies hold vast amount of information, this applies to both both media and data. This means there is a vast amount of data that could be used in the project already available and there are a large number of images
Legislations hindering the distribution of pictures in United States
Freedom of panorama in the US applies to buildings only.
Museums or archives that might be willing to make their digitized material available under a free license
Many organisations will already make their content available under a public domain license because of their federal funding.