EU policy/Engage/MEP Mailings
What's the plan?
Our United Kingdom chapter sent all UK Members of the European Parliament a letter outlining our three core issues asking for a change in legislation. This helped them start the conversation with some of them. We would like to have other countries emulate an initiative.
What's the timeline?
- December/January 2014: Finding national coordinators/volunteers
- February 2015: Translations and mailing lists preparation
- February/March 2015: Mailing the letters
- From March 2015 on: Relationship building and copyright counselling
Who are we looking for?
Volunteers or staff willing to invest some time in preparation and to keep up longer term relationships with decision-makers. Letters should best be sent out in the name of chapters, user-groups or thorgs, but single community members could do it too if no organisation exists.
What exactly needs to be done?
- Translate the WMUK letter into your local language. Send it out to your countries' MEPs via snail mail and email.
- Alternatively use the updated letter of write your own.
- Send it out to your countries' MEPs via snail mail and email.
- Follow-up by keeping the conversation going after they have replied.
|Country||Organisation||WEASEL||Translation?||Mailing lists prepared?||Talked to chapter?||Letters sent?||Replies/Comments|
|FR||WMFR||TBD (WMFR call)|
|IT||WMIT||Lorenzo, Federico (also at Brussels)||Custom tailored stuff||Yes||Yes; tracked at wmit:Associazione:Politica UE||Yes (no snail mail)||25 replies, about 10 in-person meetings. All MEPs informally contacted already by email, a dozen by phone.|
|NL||WMNL||Romaine, Grijz||in progress|