|Home||How to Use||FAQ||News & Updates|
Event Registration is the first tool of the Event Center. The Event Center will be a platform for organizing and managing campaign events, along with other event types, on the wikis. On this platform, organizers can access tools to create content campaigns, and participants can find the support they need to engage with events in the Wikimedia movement. The Event Center will simplify workflows and encourage more campaign organizing activity to happen on the wikis.
The Event Center will be:
- Modular: features can be separated and recombined, based on the special needs of a wiki or community; and
- Extensible: new features can be added over time by our team, other teams, or volunteer developers.
For most of Wikimedia’s history, campaigns and editing events have not been easy to organize. They have relied on a complex mix of social systems and volunteer or affiliate-maintained tools, which are not fully integrated into the MediaWiki software. These systems and tools don’t always scale, and many fail to address the needs of organizers in new and emerging contexts. This has created barriers for new and experienced organizers, especially as the movement focuses on Knowledge Equity. For these reasons, we aim to bring greater support to event organizers and participants via the Event Center.
Event Registration Tool
Event Registration is available to wikis that have installed the CampaignEvents extension. With this feature, event organizers can enable registration on their event pages. Once registration is enabled, participants can register for the event by clicking the “Register” button. Then, the organizers will be able to collect the list of registered event participants.
Versions and Features
In V1, we improved the tool with additional features, including timezone support and the option for participants to register publicly or privately.
Read more / Test on Meta
- Organizers can:
- Create an event page in the event namespace
- Add users (with the organizer right) as co-organizers
- Enable registration on event pages that they created
- Collect information on participant demographics, if they agree to a clickwrap agreement
- Edit event registration information
- Disable event registration on event page
- See who registered for the event and when they registered
- Remove participants from the participant list
- Participants can:
- Register for events by clicking on a “Register” button
- Choose to register publicly or privately
- Change their registration status (public vs. private) at any time
- Choose (optionally) to share demographic information about themselves
- Unregister for events
- See links to chat groups or video calls
- See a public list of registered participants
Additional features includeː
- Automatic confirmation email sent to participants (if email address associated with account)
- Integration with the Programs & Events Dashboard
- Event organizer can send emails to participants
Upcoming features includeː
- Participants can answer optional questions when registering onː
- Gender, age, profession, comfort level in contributing to Wikimedia projects, and if they are a part of any Wikimedia affiliates
- Organizer can specify their Grant ID (if any)
Who should use the tool
The event registration tool has been released to Meta-Wiki. To access the organizer side of the tool on Meta-Wiki, you will need to have the organizer right. To request the organizer right, we ask people to publicly add their usernames to the organizer tester list on the V1 Summary page.
Note that after the test phase, we will look into establishing a more generalized process for how users can become organizers that is managed on the wikis rather than through the Campaigns team. We will consult with Wikimedians on how to do this.
Once organizers begin creating events on Meta-wiki, you can join as a participant.
You can create test events to test out the tool on the beta cluster, testwiki, and test2wiki. Additionally, you can attend our office hours to learn more about the tool and see a live demo.
Definition of Terms
- Event Registration Tool is the name of the registration feature of Event Center.
- Event is any event-related activities, such as content campaigns (e.g., edit-a-thons, writing contests, etc), meetups, social hours, office hours, and more.
- Event namespace is a namespace specifically for event pages, which is available for any wikis that have the CampaignEvents extension enabled.
- An event page is a wiki page of any event, which can include event registration. An event page may provide details about an event, such us event objectives, goals, dates, and location of gatherings.
- An organizer is anyone who organizers an event and uses organizing workflows (such as creating an event page and enabling event registration). They are also the users who create event pages.
- A participant is anyone who registers for an event.
Step by step instructions
Visit the documentation guide for the step by step instructions on how to use the event registration tool.
Frequently asked questions
Please see visit the Frequently Asked Questions section.
In this office hour, we will be demoing the first version of the event registration tool that is available for use on a live wiki (Meta-wiki). We will teach you how you can use the tool yourself for real Wikimedia events on Meta-wiki, or how you can test it in test environments that include testwiki, test2wiki, or the beta cluster. Participants will learn how to create an event page in the new event namespace, enable registration, and collect data on who registered (as an event organizer). We will also share how our team (the Campaigns team) can provide support to organizers who want to create events with our tools.
- Session 1: December 5, 2022, 18:00 UTC
- Session 2: December 10, 2022, 12:00 UTC
- Watch recording on Youtube
- Watch recording on Wikimedia Commons
In this office hour, we will be demoing the new event registration tool, and we will teach you how you can use it yourself. Participants will learn how to create an event page in the new event namespace, enable registration, and collect data on who registered (as an event organizer). They will also be able to register for an event on the event page (as an event participant).
- Session 1: July 21, 2022, 17:00 UTC
- Session 2: July 23, 2022, 12:00 UTC
- YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xb6-ZElpN4
Office Hour 2: Event Registration Tool: Namespaces, Wireframes and other Updates
In this meeting, we will introduce a new version of the desktop wireframes, the first version of the mobile wireframes and the possibility of creating new namespaces for the first feature of the Event Center, the Event Registration Tool. The Campaigns Product Team will also be providing community updates on the usability test findings, current project timeline and answer any questions you may have. Join us and share your thoughts on these developments!
- Date: March 31, 2022, 15:00 UTC
- YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYXEduCaKtE
Office Hour 1: Introducing the Campaigns Product Team
The Wikimedia Foundation now has a Product team focused on the needs of campaign and event organizers in the Wikimedia Movement. In this meeting, we will introduce the product team, and how we will be addressing the first feature, Participant Registration. Join us and give feedback on our first thoughts!
- Date: September 9, 2021, 15:00 UTC
- YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jT8fRUWjfI
The team has released V1 of the event registration tool to Meta-Wiki, and we are now focused on the next high-priority features. For a detailed breakdown of technical and design work, follow us in Phabricator.