Grants:APG/Proposals/2012-2013 round1/Wikimedia UK/Progress report form/Q1

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search



Purpose of the report[edit]

This form is for organizations receiving Annual Plan Grants to report on their results to date. For progress reports, the time period for this report will the first 6 months of each grant (e.g. 1 January - 30 June of the current year). For impact reports, the time period for this report will be the full 12 months of this grant, including the period already reported on in the progress report (e.g. 1 January - 31 December of the current year). This form includes four sections, addressing global metrics, program stories, financial information, and compliance. Please contact APG/FDC staff if you have questions about this form, or concerns submitting it by the deadline. After submitting the form, organizations will also meet with APG staff to discuss their progress.

Contents

Global metrics overview - all programs[edit]

We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees' programs. Please use the table below to let us know how your programs contributed to the Global Metrics. We understand not all Global Metrics will be relevant for all programs, so feel free to put "0" where necessary. For each program include the following table and

  1. Next to each required metric, list the outcome achieved for all of your programs included in your proposal.
  2. Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome.
  3. In addition to the Global Metrics as measures of success for your programs, there is another table format in which you may report on any OTHER relevant measures of your programs success

For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.

Overall[edit]

Metric Achieved outcome Explanation
1. # of active editors involved
2. # of new editors
3. # of individuals involved
4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages
5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects
6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects


Telling your program stories - all programs[edit]

Please tell the story of each of your programs included in your proposal. This is your chance to tell your story by using any additional metrics (beyond global metrics) that are relevant to your context, beyond the global metrics above. You should be reporting against the targets you set at the beginning of the year throughout the year. We have provided a template here below for you to report against your targets, but you are welcome to include this information in another way. Also, if you decided not to do a program that was included in your proposal or added a program not in the proposal, please explain this change. More resources for storytelling are at the end of this form. Here are some ways to tell your story.

  • We encourage you to share your successes and failures and what you are learning. Please also share why are these successes, failures, or learnings are important in your context. Reference learning patterns or other documentation.
  • Make clear connections between your offline activities and online results, as applicable. For example, explain how your education program activities is leading to quality content on Wikipedia.
  • We encourage you to tell your story in different ways by using videos, sound files, images (photos and infographics, e.g.), compelling quotes, and by linking directly to work you produce. You may highlight outcomes, learning, or metrics this way.
  • We encourage you to continue using dashboards, progress bars, and scorecards that you have used to illustrate your progress in the past, and to report consistently over time.
  • You are welcome to use the table below to report on any metrics or measures relevant to your program. These may or may not include the global metrics you put in the overview section above. You can also share your progress in another way if you do not find a table like this useful.
Target Last year (if applicable) Progress (at end of Q2) End of year (projected or actual) Comments
Example Example Example Example Example

Revenues received during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)[edit]

Please use the exchange rate in your APG proposal.

Table 2 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.

  • Please also include any in-kind contributions or resources that you have received in this revenues table. This might include donated office space, services, prizes, food, etc. If you are to provide a monetary equivalent (e.g. $500 for food from Organization X for service Y), please include it in this table. Otherwise, please highlight the contribution, as well as the name of the partner, in the notes section.
Revenue source Currency Anticipated Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Anticipated ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Explanation of variances from plan
A B C D E F G H I J K

* Provide estimates in US Dollars


Spending during this period (6 month for progress report, 12 months for impact report)[edit]

Please use the exchange rate in your APG proposal.

Table 3 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.

(The "budgeted" amount is the total planned for the year as submitted in your proposal form or your revised plan, and the "cumulative" column refers to the total spent to date this year. The "percentage spent to date" is the ratio of the cumulative amount spent over the budgeted amount.)
Expense Currency Budgeted Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Budgeted ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Percentage spent to date Explanation of variances from plan
A B C D E F G H I J J2 K
TOTAL B C D E F G H I J J2 N/A

* Provide estimates in US Dollars


Compliance[edit]

Is your organization compliant with the terms outlined in the grant agreement?[edit]

As required in the grant agreement, please report any deviations from your grant proposal here. Note that, among other things, any changes must be consistent with our WMF mission, must be for charitable purposes as defined in the grant agreement, and must otherwise comply with the grant agreement.

Are you in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes" or "No".

Are you in compliance with provisions of the United States Internal Revenue Code (“Code”), and with relevant tax laws and regulations restricting the use of the Grant funds as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes" or "No".

Signature[edit]

Once complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.

Resources[edit]

Resources to plan for measurement[edit]

Resources for storytelling[edit]


Basic entity information[edit]

Table 1

Entity information Legal name of entity Wikimedia UK
Entity's fiscal year (mm/dd–mm/dd) 02/01 - 01/31
12 month timeframe of funds awarded (mm/dd/yy-mm/dd/yy) 02/01/13 - 01/31/14
Contact information (primary) Primary contact name Jon Davies
Primary contact position in entity Chief Executive
Primary contact username Jon Davies (WMUK)
Primary contact email jon.davies@wikimedia.org.uk
Contact information (secondary) Secondary contact name Richard Symonds
Secondary contact position in entity Office & Development Manager
Secondary contact username Richard Symonds (WMUK)
Secondary contact email richard.symonds@wikimedia.org.uk


Overview of this quarter[edit]

The purpose of this section is to provide a brief overview of this report. Please use no more than 1-2 paragraphs to address the questions outlined below. You will have an opportunity to address these questions in detail elsewhere in this report.

Please describe how you changed your plans and budget based on the FDC allocation approved by the Board in December 2012, and your rationale for these changes.

CHANGES:

In the light of the FDC's allocation to us and the detailed comments provided in the FDC comments and staff assessment, we made a number of changes to our plan for 2013-14, and the final plan was approved by our Board in January 2013.

  • We reviewed the staffing level dedicated to our GLAM programme, in the light of the FDC's comments that this area appeared under-resourced, and allocated a 0.5FTE staff member specifically to GLAM, reducing our proposed Education post to balance.
  • We reviewed the staffing level dedicated to our Education programme, and reduced the full time post proposed to 0.5FTE staff member.
  • We made reductions to some opportunity-driven projects, e.g. Wikimedians in Residence, which in the light of the FDC's feedback we felt required staff resource to manage, and removed entirely the planned WCA membership fee.
  • We removed our Developer role from being a staff position and instead built relationships with two developers able to meet our needs on a contract basis.

The Board also took the decision to set a budget for 2013-14 which was more closely in line with our original submission than with the FDC's revised allocation. This was enabled by underspend in 2012-13 (£147,000) which was brought forward to support the current year's budget, our reasoning was as follows;

  • One of the key messages from 2012 (as highlighted in the FDC assessment) was that it was difficult to deliver 5-figure projects with volunteer effort alone. As a result we concurred with the FDC assessment that the recruitment of GLAM and Education staff was important to the success of these programmes.
  • We were certain that it was possible to continue a managed growth in staffing and budget without conflicting with the adoption of improved governance procedures. Indeed, having staff to support key areas of programme which were previously being led by key Trustees aids rather than contradicts good governance.
  • We were confident that with increased staff resources, a maturing organisational capacity and a growing volunteer base we could spend the money effectively and at good value for money.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Wikimedia UK Chief Executive Jon Davies gives a short presentation about our plans and outlines the programme for the Strategy Day.
  • GLAM-WIKI 2013: On 12-14 April 2013, Wikimedia UK - in partnership with the British Library, Europeana, Wikimedia Sweden and THATcamp - hosted a conference on the topic of Wikimedia projects and their interaction with GLAM institutions. With around 200 attendees, it was the largest event the UK chapter has organised, and brought people from around the world to London to learn about Wikimedia and open knowledge.
  • Open Day on WMUK's Five Year Plan: On 23 March, Wikimedia UK hosted an open day at its offices where, despite heavy snow, 35 volunteers, staff and interested members of the public were invited to discuss the future of the charity and work towards a five year plan. It was also an opportunity for people interested in becoming trustees to get involved and learn a bit more about Wikimedia UK. It was informed by a situational review of WMUK.

WIKI-FOCUS:

  • English Wikipedia: In Q1, several microgrants have been issued aimed at improving article quality. These have led to multiple featured articles, including Doom Bar, British military intervention in the Sierra Leone Civil War and Operation Barras, with more on the way (such as KFC). We also funded the prizes for the 'Core Contest', run by Casliber.
  • Wicipedia Cymraeg (Welsh Wikipedia): There are several major (£20k+, countrywide) plans for supporting the Welsh-language project in Q2-4, and subsequent years. However, these have not yet been finalised and no spends have yet been made.
  • Commons: WMUK has been supporting the development of the Europeana Mass Upload Tool, while in the past quarter a microgrant was issued to improve the coverage of London on Commons (currently in progress with over 500 photographs taken so far).
  • WMUK plans to participate in Wiki Loves Monuments 2013, with direct benefits for Commons and hopefully other Wikimedia projects such as WikiVoyage and the various different languages of Wikipedia.

GROWTH:

  • Members eligible to vote at the end of each month:
    December - 261
    January - 276
    February - 279
    March - 272
    April - 276
  • Wikimedians in Residence activities:
  • British Library WiR between 1 February and 30 April - 16 workshops, training sessions, and lectures held, 107 people attended
  • Science Museum and Natural History Museum WiR in post as of March
  • Tyne and Wear Archives and Museum WiR in post as of April
  • Result of microgrants:
  • Wrecks on Doom Bar - microgrant approved in January. Stated aim was to expand Doom Bar article on the English Wikipedia to Feature Article quality and create a list of the wrecks on the bar and make it Featured List quality. In April the Doom Bar was promoted to Featured Article. The list is a work in progress.
  • KFC - grant approved in March. Stated aim was to improve article on KFC on the English Wikipedia to Featured Article quality with peripheral improvements to biographies of leading individuals within the company. Currently in progress.
  • Core Contest - grant approved in March. Stated aim was to fund prizes for an article writing competition on the English Wikipedia with a focus on improving articles identified as highly important to the encyclopaedia. The contest has been held three times before. The first time in 2007, and was revived in 2012 when it was held twice, both times with prizes funded by WMUK. The fourth iteration began on 15 April and will conclude in May.
  • Photographing of London - grant approved in April. Stated aim was to provide high-resolution images of London and upload them to Commons. So far over 500 images including 111 of the 2013 London Marathon.
  • Training events - experienced Wikimedians have reached out to people interested in Wikimedia but who have never edited before and taught them how to do so. Between 1 February and 30 April there were 2 such events, with more planned for quarter 2.
  • Between 1 February and 30 April there were 10 meetups in the UK at five different location, including Brighton’s first. Two meetups at new locations planned for quarter 2.

Financial summary[edit]

The FDC requires information about how your entity received and spent money over the past year. The FDC distributes general funds, so your entity is not required to use funds exactly as outlined in the proposal. While line-item expenses will not be examined, the FDC and movement wants to understand why the entity spent money in the way it did. If variance in budgeted vs. actual is greater than 20%, please provide explanation in more detail. This helps the FDC understand the rationale behind any significant changes. Note that any changes from the Grant proposal, among other things, must be consistent with the WMF mission, must be for charitable purposes as defined in the grant agreement, must be reported to WMF, and must otherwise comply with the grant agreement. The WMF mission is "to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally."

Revenues for this quarter[edit]

Table 2 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.

  • Please also include any in-kind contributions or resources that you have received in this revenues table. This might include donated office space, services, prizes, food, etc. If you are to provide a monetary equivalent (e.g. $500 for food from Organization X for service Y), please include it in this table. Otherwise, please highlight the contribution, as well as the name of the partner, in the notes section.
Revenue source Currency Anticipated Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Anticipated ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Explanation of variances from plan
Regular Donations & Single Gifts GBP 240,072.48 64,046.40 E F G 64,046.40 360,108.72 96,069.60 No variance.
Membership Income GBP 1,551.00 426.00 E F G 426.00 2326.50 639.00 No variance.
Gift Aid Claims GBP 83,276.14 23,276.14 E F G 23,276.14 124,914.21 34,914.21 Gift aid claims from last year are included in this year. In addition, Gift Aid rates are higher than expected.
WMF Grant GBP 331,768.00 193,531.00 E F G 193,531.00 497,652.00 290,296.50 Grant was less than requested.
Conference Income GBP 1,964.34 964.34 E F G 964.34 2,946.51 1,446.51 Not planned for in original plan.
Bank Interest GBP 161.84 81.84 E F G 81.84 242.76 122.76 Two key reasons: Firstly, as a result of a double-dip recession, and with Bank of England interest rates stuck at 0.5%, banks are not increasing interest rates to the expected level. Secondly, as a result of the lower than expected FDC grant, we were forced to dip into our reserves to fund our activities, and therefore had less funds to invest.
Other Income GBP 152.16 152.16 E F G 152.16 228.24 0 Not planned for by nature of income.

* Provide estimates in US Dollars


Spending during this quarter[edit]

  • NB: 'budgeted' figures are yearly, not quarterly.

Table 3 Please report all spending in the currency of your grant unless US$ is requested.

(The "budgeted" amount is the total planned for the year as submitted in your proposal form or your revised plan, and the "cumulative" column refers to the total spent to date this year. The "percentage spent to date" is the ratio of the cumulative amount spent over the budgeted amount.)
Expense Currency Budgeted Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Cumulative Budgeted ($US)* Cumulative ($US)* Percentage spent to date Explanation of variances from plan
Staff GBP 212,828 37,114.74 E F G 37,114.74 319,242 55,672.11 We have cut back our Education Organiser post to be part time (50%), and also hired a GLAM organiser part time (50%). We have not hired a Developer, and do not plan to, instead relying on contractors for the time being.
Mass Upload Tool GBP 60,000.00 17,097.53 E F G 17,097.53 90,000.00 25,646.30 Only one payment made so far. Two more tranches planned this year.
Development GBP 50,000.00 5,567.31 E F G 5,567.31 75,000.00 8,350.97 So far this year, we have been focussing mainly only upgrading our own systems, such as CiviCRM and our internal wikis, to cope with the greater workload placed upon us by our activities. There are lower costs associated with this, as it is simple maintenance and upgrade work, rather than building new systems.
Merchandise GBP 5,000.00 184.44 E F G 184.44 7,500.00 276.66 Spending is on target, but this is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, a significant recent spend is not yet reflected in the figures.
Train the Trainers GBP 19,420.00 2,519.19 E F G 2,519.19 29,130.00 3,778.79 Spending is on target. Spending for this budget is in four tranches throughout the year, only one of which has been made so far.
Volunteer equipment GBP 2,000.00 0 E F G 0 3000 0 Spending is on target, but this is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, a recent spend is not yet reflected in the figures.
Virtual Learning Environment GBP 2,000.00 0 E F G 0 3,000.00 0 Work on the VLE is progressing as planned (various WMF staff, including Sage Ross and Erik M have access). However, it is costing significantly less than expected.
Toolserver GBP 10,000.00 0 E F G 0 15,000.00 0 We have not yet been invoiced by Wikimedia Deutschland for any payments from this budget, but we do expect them later this year.
Wales GBP 10,000.00 364.75 E F G 364.75 15,000.00 547.13 Although progress with the Welsh budget has been slow to take off, we have a larger project planned for later this year in collaboration with major Welsh cultural partners. We plan to use the majority of these funds for this project.
GLAM Conference GBP 20,000.00 5,403.20 E F G 5,403.20 30,000.00 8,104.80 Many conference spends have yet to be invoiced for, but we expect to come in under budget.
GLAM Outreach and Events GBP 5,000.00 23.85 E F G 23.85 7,500.00 35.80 Has yet to take off this year, and as a result is underspending. Events in the next quarter will build up through appointment of Wikimedians in Residence and work of our recently-hired GLAM organiser.
Technical development to support cultural outreach GBP 5,000.00 0 E F G 0 7,500.00 0 No spends expected this quarter.
Extended Reach GBP 10,000.00 0 E F G 0 15,000 0 Very few events so far this year. The major event planned - a project at the Women’s Library @ LSE - was postponed due to the WL's workload.
Wikimedians in Residence GBP 30,000.00 2,658.40 E F G 2,658.40 45,000.00 3,987.60 Spending is on target, but this is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, a recent spend of approximately £9,000 is not yet reflected in the figures. There has also been a delay with the Women's Library @ LSE, as stated above; due to their workload we have postponed one WiR
Scotland GBP 21,000.00 0 E F G 0 31,500.00 0 There have been delays due to the ongoing national reorganisation of the GLAM sector in Scotland. However, we expect large spends in Q2 due to the hiring of a WiR for the National Library of Scotland.
World Wars I and II project GBP 20,000.00 0 E F G 0 30,000.00 0 No spends expected this quarter.
Digitisation GBP 8,000.00 0 E F G 0 12,000.00 0 No spends this quarter, but we expect to be invoiced for the Picturing Canada project shortly.
WikiConference UK (AGM) GBP 5,200.00 1,670.24 E F G 1,670.24 7,800.00 2,505.36 No major spends expected this quarter except for hotels for board/staff/speakers/key volunteers. Conference is not until June.
University Outreach GBP 8,000.00 859.70 E F G 859.70 12,000.00 1,289.55 There have been delays in ensuring that any money spent in this budget is spent effectively, and that it is not used to simply fund University groups. We have expectations that this programme will develop throughout next three quarters.
Schools Conference GBP 12,000.00 93.60 E F G 93.60 18,000.00 140.40 No spends expected this quarter. The major spends not expected until Q3.
JISC Post GBP 15,000.00 0 E F G 0 22,500 0 No spends expected this quarter, still in planning stages.
Project Grants GBP 20,000.00 4.81 E F G 4.81 30,000.00 7.22 Spending is below target, but this spending is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, April spends are not yet reflected in the figures.
Travel Grants GBP 20,000.00 389.45 E F G 389.45 30,000.00 584.18 Spending is on target, but is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, major Wikimania-related spends are not yet reflected in the figures.
Wikimania 2014 GBP 2,000.00 37.89 E F G 37.89 3,000.00 56.84 No major spends expected until the bid is either won or lost.
Rent GBP 34,560.00 14,164.26 E F G 14,164.26 51,840.00 21,246.39 Business rates issue (see project section) has pushed (and will continue to push) up office rent for the first two quarters of this year.
Staff Travel GBP 9,000.00 2,473.63 E F G 2,473.63 13,500.00 3,710.45 Spending is on target, but is not reflected in these figures. As this report has been requested before our first quarter has finished, invoices and spends related to two staff members visiting the WMF have not yet filtered through.
Staff Training GBP 3,000.00 465.56 E F G 465.56 4,500.00 698.34 On budget.
Office Equipment GBP 14,000.00 4,340.56 E F G 4,340.56 21,000.00 6,510.84 Slightly over budget due to new (Q1) staff equipment purchases.
Board Costs GBP 16,000.00 3,963.13 E F G 3,963.13 24,000.00 5,944.70 Broadly on budget. Some variation expected as board meeting schedule is still being planned.
Legal Fees GBP 5,000.00 2,880.00 E F G 2,880.00 7,500.00 4,320.00 Over budget due to legal costs as a result of the Governance Review.
Project Management GBP 10,000.00 3,038.00 E F G 3,038.00 15,000.00 4,557.00 Slightly over budget, mostly due to increased consultancy costs as a result of the Five Year Plan and Governance Review.
Accountancy Fees GBP 9,000.00 582.50 E F G 582.50 13,500.00 873.75 Very few spends expected this quarter - only bank fees, transaction fees etc. Most spends will be Q2 or Q3, when the audit invoice is due.
Annual Report GBP 3,000.00 0 E F G 0 4,500.00 0 No spends expected this quarter.
Insurance GBP 3,200.00 0 E F G 0 4,800.00 0 No spends expected this quarter.
Server GBP 2,000.00 0 E F G 0 30,000.00 0 No spends expected this quarter.
Fundraising GBP 28,405.00 6,177.13 E F G 6,177.13 42,607.50 9,265.70 Spending broadly as expected - most of the Q1 spends are payment processing fees.
Contingency GBP 15,000.00 2,199.60 E F G 2,199.60 22,500.00 3,299.40 Spending to a flat line budget, but spends are inherently unpredictable.

* Provide estimates in US Dollars


Progress toward this year's goals/objectives[edit]

This section addresses the impact of the programs / initiatives* and objectives your entity has implemented over the past quarter and the progress your entity is making toward meeting this year's goals. We understand that some metrics may not be applicable in this quarterly report, so please add metrics here if they are applicable.

*In the last round, the FDC used the term 'initiative', but this round, we are using the term 'program.'

Program 1[edit]

Staff
Two of the new staff members during a visit by Everton Zanella Alvarenga.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • We have hired for three new roles: Volunteer Support Organiser (full time), GLAM organiser (0.5 FTE) and Education Organiser (0.5 FTE). These were advertised and recruited to support our program of activities. Overall, there was a good mix of applicants, some of whom were Wikimedians and some who were from outside the movement. The Volunteer Support Organiser position garnered 109 enquiries and 43 applications; 135 people enquired about the GLAM Organiser and 41 applied; 97 enquiries and 33 applications were received for the Education Organiser. We were especially pleased that many qualified candidates applied with a strong selection from within the Wikimedia community, and eventually settled on hiring prominent Wikimedians Katie Chan and Jonathan Cardy, as well as Toni Sant, who is also Director of Research in the School of Arts and New Media at the University of Hull.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • We found good candidates for all our new positions. We also, as a matter of principle, include volunteers on our interview panels: there were five staff and four volunteers involved in these interviews in total.
Activities conducted.
  • Recruitment.
What worked and what did not?
  • We found it extremely useful to include volunteers on interview panels, rather than relying solely on board and staff. However, it is also important to have a strong staff presence at every interview, as they will be co-workers. We also found that advertising the posts through Wikipedia helped - although instead of using CentralNotice, we would suggest contacting key Wikiprojects and mailing lists who might be interested, etc.

Any additional details:

  • We reviewed the staffing level dedicated to our GLAM programme, in the light of the FDC's comments that this area appeared under-resourced, and allocated a 0.5FTE staff member specifically to GLAM, reducing our proposed Education post to balance.
  • We reviewed the staffing level dedicated to our Education programme, and reduced the full time post proposed to 0.5FTE staff member.


Program 2[edit]

Mass Upload Tool – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.7
Talks and workshops on Europeana were given at GLAM-Wiki 2013.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program supports the development of the GLAM Toolset project a collaboration between Wikimedia Nederland, Wikimedia UK, Wikimedia France, Wikimedia CH (Switzerland) and Europeana. The goal of the project is to provide a set of tools to make batch uploads of GLAM content in Wikimedia Commons as easy as possible. The additional tools have to make sure that re-use can easily be tracked; and that Commons materials can easily be integrated back into the collection of the original GLAM or even other GLAMs. Exact metrics are explained more at the Commons GLAMToolset project page.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
Activities conducted.
  • In addition to the ongoing development of the tool, the Toolset team presented an alpha preview at the GLAM-WIKI 2013 conference.
What worked and what did not?
  • Programme is going to schedule. Nothing further to report at present.
Any additional details:


Program 3[edit]

Development
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Contract to support IT needs.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Inaugural meeting of Technical Committee and development of its remit in light of governance review. 3 staff and 4 volunteers involved.
Activities conducted.
  • 3 successful progress meetings; Discussion of migration of donate.org to UK wiki; All administration and data handed over from Mike Peel - no more operational responsibility
What worked and what did not?
  • Substantial progress in moving to operation from own servers achieved. Issues over security of data being addressed and legal support sought. Civi CRM – Still not migrated, combination of troubleshooting installation and KB needing time to bugtest. Looking to have migrated by end of May, and set up other staff accounts and training session.

Any additional details:


Program 4[edit]

Merchandise – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.8
Wikimedia UK notebook.JPG
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • To increase volunteer access to materials supporting events (e.g. training brochures).
  • Metrics: Value for money checked when ordering; All relevant events have merchandise available; Usage monitored
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Merchandise being used on a regular basis at events. 3 staff and about 10 volunteers involved
Activities conducted.
  • Stock replenished as required; Review the stock from 2012-13 (ongoing based on usage); Merchandise regularly used at events; Started to maintain detailed records of the stock to improve management
What worked and what did not?
  • On target, supplies adequate for this quarter.

Any additional details:


Program 5[edit]

Train the Trainers – refer to FDC bid key initiatives 1.1 and 4.4
In February 12 volunteers received training on how to deliver sessions on Wikimedia.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • A programme of creating quality trainers who will introduce people to the various Wikimedia projects with the intention of increasing participation. Part of the course involves creating a teaching module which can be reused, creating a bank of teaching resources for future outreach events. The Moodle Virtual Learning Environment consists of a separate £2K in Program 7.
  • Metrics: Number of people trained to a satisfactory standard (34 to date); Five sessions delivered by trained trainers.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Key documentation (e.g. contracts) supporting the training programme in place. 12 people trained. 2 staff and 14 volunteers involved.
Activities conducted.
  • Train the Trainer session in Manchester delivered, with 12 people trained; Started review of scheme to date
What worked and what did not?
  • High satisfaction from participants. Events in Greater Manchester and Oxford delivered by trained trainers introducing new editors to Wikimedia, however Manchester event had low attendee rate. Review of programme to start in May.
Any additional details:
  • Review of programme started for referral to Education Committee.


Program 6[edit]

Volunteer equipment – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.8
Canon EOS 60D with RODE video mic.jpg
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program supports the purchasing of equipment that volunteers and visitors can use when visiting the office or attending events.
  • Metrics: Equipment being used on regular basis and recorded
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
Activities conducted.
  • Canon EOS60D with lens and RODE directional video mic purchased in April, ready for use by volunteers.
What worked and what did not?
  • Good participation from community in choosing resources. Volunteer Support Oraganiser will monitor use of volunteer resources.

Any additional details:


Program 7[edit]

Virtual Learning Environment – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.2
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program supports the development of a Virtual Learning Environment to support the learning of people who have not edited the various Wikimedia projects before. This amount would maintain and develop it.
  • Metrics: VLE rolled out by appointed deadline; Number of people registered and using the system.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • VLE development to continue. Should be ready for user testing. Developments approved by Education Committee to be in place. Updated progress report to be shared with Board. 3 staff and 5 volunteers involved
Activities conducted.
  • Development in progress
What worked and what did not?
  • Being discussed with view to next stage of development. Needs focus. Education committee will consider next steps to expedite roll out.

Any additional details:

  • Discussions held with Foundation about sharing resources.


Program 8[edit]

Toolserver – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.7
Wikimedia Community Logo-Toolserver.svg
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Supporting Wikimedia Toolserver, which is operated by Wikimedia Deutschland.
  • Metrics: Monitor their reports
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
Activities conducted.
What worked and what did not?
  • Reports from WMDE indicated stable work patterns

Any additional details:


Program 9[edit]

Wales – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.3
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • A specific budget to support the work of Welsh Wicipedians especially those working in the Welsh Language.
  • Metrics: Number of active Wicipedians.; Organisations with links established.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Discussions ongoing regarding Wikimedian in Residence and coastal pathways project. One staff and three volunteers involved.
Activities conducted.
  • Discussions with Robin Owain; Communication with the community in Wales; Robin Owain presented the achievements at GLAM WIKI 2013 Conference
What worked and what did not?
  • It is early days but significant progress made with Welsh Government with EU backing towards partnership. WMUK board considering allocating extra resources to support expanded programme.

Any additional details:


Program 10[edit]

GLAM Conference – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.6
GLAM-Wiki 2013 was hosted by the British Library in April.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program supports the hosting a major international conference in cooperation with the British Library on the theme of the interaction between Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums and Wikimedia, the progress so far and the practicalities involved.
  • Metrics: Variety of speakers, strong and engaging programme. Sufficient attendance (100-150 delegates); High evaluation of the programme; High feedback; New contacts established.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Conference organised and delivered (April 2013) with significant community input and about 200 attendees; In budget; Evaluated positively by attendees (results in progress). 4 staff and 10 volunteers with an additional 40 speakers involved
Activities conducted.
  • GLAM-Wiki delivered in April with feedback currently being processed.
What worked and what did not?
  • Delivered successfully. Feedback being analysed (so far indicates high level of satisfaction with conference and networking opportunities). Attendance high.

Any additional details:


Program 11[edit]

GLAM Outreach and Events – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.1
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • The purpose of this project is to extend the GLAM work through more local and national events. This will include 2 local GLAMcamp-style events.
  • Metrics: Number of institutions, number of people attending activities, number of people remaining active after n months; All contact requests from cultural institutions answered.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Events planned and prepared; Ongoing relationships supported. 3 staff and 5 volunteers
  • Programme supported by the GLAM Organiser led by DC (starting)
Activities conducted.
  • Events at the Senate House carried out with more planned through Wikimedians in Residence
  • Programme supported by the GLAM Organiser led by Program Manager
What worked and what did not?
  • Has yet to really get going. Events will build up through appointment of Wikimedians in Residence and work of GLAM organiser.

Any additional details:


Program 12[edit]

Technical development to support cultural outreach – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.7
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • See Toolserver and Mass Upload Tool sections above.
  • Metrics: Grants to Toolserver and Europeana. Project grants to UK community for developing work
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • See Toolserver and Mass Upload Tool sections above
Activities conducted.
  • See Toolserver and Mass Upload Tool sections above
What worked and what did not?
  • See Toolserver and Mass Upload Tool sections above

Any additional details:


Program 13[edit]

Extended reach – refer to FDC bid key initiatives 1.4 and 1.5
LUSITANA WLM 2011 d.svg
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • To support outreach projects aimed at increasing participation in the Wikimedia movement especially amongst women, or involving any minority ethnic, LGBT, linguistic or other community in the UK, which might not otherwise be funded.
  • Metrics: Number of people taking part, new editors trained; Number of events; Follow up on their engagement; A monthly report collated from either filled in ‘event organiser’ feedback form or informal feedback from the volunteers
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Volunteer Support Organiser inducted and working to support existing Meetups and supporting volunteers to establish new ones. 3 staff and 8 volunteers involved
Activities conducted.
  • Extended Reach events planned by Daria Cybulska (2 events around International Women’s Day delivered)
  • Volunteer Support Organiser to encourage and support the community in the organisation of Wiki Loves Monuments. Working group established and met for the first time in April
What worked and what did not?
  • Some significant success but more to follow with targeting throughout year e,g, Black History Month, Girlgeeks and Women in Science project through Medical Research Council. Unfortunately the Women's Library project and its LGBT context were postponed owing to their workload.

Any additional details:


Program 14[edit]

Wikimedians in Residence – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.2
John Cummings, Wikimedian in Residence at the Natural History Museum & Science Museum speaking during GLAM-Wiki 2013.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This project is to part-fund multiple Wikimedian in Residence positions. Through the Wikimedians in Residence program Wikimedia UK aims to promote links with GLAMs institutions and to benefit Wikimedia projects through increased awareness from outreach events and attract new editors.
  • Metrics: Number of institutions, number of people attending related activities, number of people remaining active after 3 months
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • 3 initial GLAM organisations - agreements/documentation in place (Natural History Museum & Science Museum, Tyne and Wear Archives and Museum, National Library of Scotland). 2 staff and 8 volunteers
Activities conducted.
  • WiR in post at NHM&SM, TWAM
  • NLS recruiting
  • 2-3 events delivered at NHM&SM
  • 1-2 events delivered at TWAM, reaching five attendees
What worked and what did not?
  • Use of WiR Contract has progressed in test mode. Much community interest. Plan on budget and suitable candidates recruited. Disappointment over Women's Library and delays owing to capacity with the Black History Archive. This project at risk.

Any additional details:


Program 15[edit]

Scotland – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.4
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Establishing a full time post in Scotland.
  • Metrics: Number of people attending activities, number of people remaining active after 3 months
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Talks with Galleries Museums Scotland resumed, contact established. We currently have one staff member and four volunteers involved.
Activities conducted.
  • The talks have been re-established but unclear if the program will go ahead due to internal capacity problems with Museums & Galleries Scotland. We will, however, definitely work with National Library of Scotland on a WiR.
What worked and what did not?
  • See above - problems with partner organisation's capacity.

Any additional details:


Program 16[edit]

World Wars I and II project – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.5
High Wood cemetery, France.jpg
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This project builds on the achievements of 2012. There is strong interest from the Imperial War Museum in supporting a Wikipedian in Residence, specifically to work on the Great War centenary events (outlined at http://www.1914.org/). We are aiming for an appointment in May/June.
  • Metrics: The WiR plans to work with at least three institutions; and an undetermined number of people attending activities. These metrics will be narrowed down by the WiR when (s)he is in post. It will take off in third quarter.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Have a plan and targets written out for WiR, and a good understanding of what the WiR will enable us to accomplish. Currently two staff and two volunteers working on this.
Activities conducted.
  • Planning meetings held and agreement being finalised with a view to appointment.
  • We have a list of all the archives in the UK which hold WWI-related materials.
What worked and what did not?
  • A relationship is being built. Face to face meetings, particularly with existing WiRs, helps a lot.
  • There can be some ruffled feathers at institutions when they realise that Wikimedians have already uploaded their public archive to Commons. A large part of the work is in smoothing those feathers, and explaining how the Wikimedia community sometimes works.

Any additional details:


Program 17[edit]

Digitization – refer to FDC bid key initiative 2.3
Sunrise at Mount Baker, a photo from the Picturing Canada project using the collections at the British Library.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • We will support the digitization and release under an open license of cultural content, particularly where this content will be used in Wikipedia and on Wikimedia Commons.
  • Metrics: Number of images uploaded (aim to have 4,000 uploaded to Commons in 2013-14) and number accessed.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Considering costs of digitising using various institutional services. About 1,000 images of early 20th-century Canada have been uploaded as part of the Picturing Canada project. Number accessed: to be assessed. 2 staff and 2 volunteers involved.
Activities conducted.
  • Slide scanner purchased
What worked and what did not?
  • Questions being asked about cost per upload by partner organisations. What is value for money?

Any additional details:


Program 18[edit]

WikConferencce UK (AGM) – refer to FDC bid key initiatives 3.3 and 6.6
The 2013 WikiConference UK will be held in Lincoln.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Combining our Annual General Meeting with a series of presentations about the Wikimedia projects and chapter activities.
  • Metrics: Conference attracts at least 50 members; level of feedback high, 4/5
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Supporting Conference Committee in organising the event
Activities conducted.
  • Attractive programme being set up by the Conference Committee (in progress)
What worked and what did not?
Any additional details:


Program 19[edit]

University Outreach – refer to FDC bid key initiative 4.3
Wikipedia Society stall at Cambridge University fresher's fair 2012.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Includes Freshers Fair stalls, Campus Ambassador training events, and other activity with staff & students, including associated volunteer expenses.
  • Metrics: Number of events that take place, number of people attracted and still engaged; Number of institutions collaborated with.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • 3 events have taken place. 1 staff member and 5 volunteer involved
Activities conducted.
  • Events planned and prepared (partly done. 3 Education workshops delivered by Martin Poulter supported from the office, Oxford University training event)
  • Programme supported by the Education Organiser led by DC (in progress)
What worked and what did not?
  • We have expectations that this programme will develop throughout next three quarters.

Any additional details:


Program 20[edit]

Schools Conference – refer to FDC bid key initiative 4.2
The 2012 EduWiki Conference was held in Leicester. Planning for the 2013 conference began in Q1.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • The aim of this project is to hold a two-day EDU-WIKI conference raising awareness of the educational possibilities of Wikipedia and developing Wikimedia UK's academic engagement.
  • Metrics: Variety of speakers, strong and engaging programme. Sufficient attendance (50-100 delegates); High evaluation of the programme - High feedback; New contacts established.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Plan for the conference created, a volunteer leader for the event identified if appropriate (in progress). 3 staff and 4 volunteers
Activities conducted.
  • Support from the Education Organiser led by Program Manager (in progress)
  • Input from the Education Committee
What worked and what did not?
  • Planning has started.

Any additional details:


Program 21[edit]

JISC Post – refer to FDC bid key initiatives 4.3 and 4.4
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Since beginning the budget we have the opportunity of what is in effect a Wikimedian in Residence with JISC
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Project plan/ contract negotiated. 1 staff and 6 volunteers involved
Activities conducted.
  • Project plan/ contract negotiated
What worked and what did not?
  • To be appointed but has immense potential to build influence for the movement in the UK university sector.

Any additional details:


Program 22[edit]

Project Grants – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.6
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • We will further expand our existing Microgrants and Macrogrants programme and support members of the community to propose initiatives they want to take forward. Metrics: number of grants and amount of spend
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • 3 microgrants approved, several more ongoing. 2 staff and 4 volunteers involved
  • Core Contest (prizes) approved in March. The article improvement competition run by Casliber with prizes from WMUK began on 15 April and will conclude on 12 May. So far nine articles have been submitted, ranging from the crusades to Charles Babbage.
  • KFC approved in March. This microgrant covers the purchase of books to enable Farrtj, an independent editor who has no affiliations with KFC, to improve the KFC article on the English-language Wikipedia. The books were purchased and sent to Farrtj who has improved the article and is ready to nominate it at Featured Article Candidates.
  • Photographing of London approved in April. The microgrant enables Chmee2 to travel round London taking high-resolution photographs of the city. Over 500 photographs have been taken so far, and already two are Featured Pictures on Commons.
  • Wrecks on Doom Bar update. The microgrant was approved in January and allowed the purchasing of a source to be used in pushing Doom Bar to become a Featured Article. On 15 April the target was reached when the article was promoted. WormThatTurned's next aim is creating a list of wrecks at Doom Bar.
  • Operation Barras and Operation Flavius continuing. This has led to two featured articles, with more on the way: British military intervention in the Sierra Leone Civil War and Operation Barras.
Activities conducted.
  • Volunteer Support Organiser promoting them amongst community.
What worked and what did not?
  • Disappointing take-up to date. Volunteer Support Organiser emphasising opportunities through member newsletter and addressing opportunities for a broader range of projects, not just Wikipedia.

Any additional details:


Program 23[edit]

Travel grants – refer to FDC bid key initiative 1.7
Wikimedia Hackathon Amsterdam 2013.svg
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • We will continue to provide financial support for individuals, from the UK and the rest of the world, to participate in Wikimedia events. Metrics: Budget allocated as per plan
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Grants allocated for Amsterdam hackathon, WikiSym 2013, and Wikimania 2013. 2 staff and 13 volunteers involved
Activities conducted.
  • Applications taken and grants allocated
What worked and what did not?
  • Delays in booking for Wikimania Hong Kong may lead to more expense. Otherwise going to plan.

Any additional details:


Program 24[edit]

Wikimania 2014 – refer to FDC bid key initiative 6.5
WikiMania London 2014.png
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Initial financial support for a London bid. This may include any costs surrounding the setting up of a bank account, or legal advice. It may also include travel or hotel costs where necessary, but is not intended to act as a 'salary' or 'fee' to the bid team. In the event of the bid not being successful, we expect that an event of some size will still be held - this will then be used to support set-up costs for that event.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Awaiting the decision of the Wikimania jury. Three staff and twelve volunteers involved in supporting the bid.
Activities conducted.
  • This budget has so far been under-utilised. The only spend has been on travel to an organisation meeting.
  • However, there will not be any significant spend out of this budget until the London Wikimania bid is either declined or accepted. This is projected to happen later in the year.
What worked and what did not?
  • Putting aside a small pool of money to support the volunteers running the bid has several advantages:
    • It shows both the volunteers and the wider movement that the UK Chapter fully support the London bid.
    • It ensures that the volunteer's personal finances are not affected by their proposing the bid on a tight schedule.
    • It ensures that there is a pool of money from which we can fund legal or financial advice for running a large bid such as the London bid.

Any additional details:


Program 25[edit]

Rent
The Wikimedia UK office in March 2012.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • To provide desks for each of our full-time staff members, as well as visiting volunteers and representatives of other Wikimedia organisations and partner organisations. This amounts, in total, to nine serviced desks and associated storage space.
  • Metrics: That nine serviced desks are provided without going over budget.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • We are projecting a year-end spend of £42,000 on a budget of £34,560. This is slightly over budget - approximately £8,000 - because Hackney London Borough Council have re-assessed our office communal areas as 'non-charitable' rather than 'charitable', resulting in an overall increase in our rent, as well as rates arrears for the previous 12 months. This is in addition to an increase in our rent from £270 to £290 per desk per month.
What worked and what did not?
  • Having an office is a vital part of our operations, despite the cost.
  • The office is well-used by volunteers (an average of three/week) and visitors from other chapters and WMF staff.
  • Working in a shared office has some problems (eg excess noise), but these are minor. Overall, a shared office cuts costs for a developing chapter.
  • Having a communal meeting area in the building - which can be used for free - has provided us with a free venue which we can use for events and meetings.

Any additional details:

  • The rates issue is ongoing, and we may spend less if our landlord's challenge to the council is successful.
  • We would recommend Ethical Property Europe, our Landlords, to any Wikimedia organisations in Europe looking for office space.


Program 26[edit]

Staff Travel
Attendees at the Wikimedia Conference 2013.
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This budget comprises an average of £750 per staff member. This is intended to cover: Attendance for three staff members at Wikimania; Attendance of the CE at the annual Chapters meeting; Visits for (2) staff members to the Wikimedia Foundations.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • This program has allowed staff to participate in international events. In April the CE attended the annual Chapters meeting in Milan, and two staff travelled to the Wikimedia Foundation offices.
Activities conducted.
  • Staff attended chapters meeting; two staff on Wikimedia Foundation visits; Daria Cybulska visiting WMNL
What worked and what did not?
  • Useful exchange of information achieved. Good links made and re-inforced at Chapter's Conference.

Any additional details:

  • None.


Program 27[edit]

Staff Training
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program provides for the development of Wikimedia UK staff through learning opportunities relevant to their work
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Staff have attended training sessions as appropriate, for instance on subjects such as digitisation.
Activities conducted.
  • Each member of staff receiving individual learning support.
What worked and what did not?
  • Staff have reported useful benefits. Planning staff day training for July.

Any additional details:


Program 28[edit]

Office Equipment
The Wikimedia UK stationery cupboard in March 2012
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program covers the cost of our office - paper, printer ink, filing cabinets, phone costs, etc. It does not cover office rent. As a result, there are no specific metrics for this program beyond it being on budget and the staff (and any visiting volunteers) being equipped to do their duties adequately.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Spending to budget, staff (and any visiting volunteers) being equipped to do their duties adequately.
Activities conducted.
  • As above.
What worked and what did not?
  • Offering a flexibility of IT choices helps maximise staff productivity. We are also reworking the floor plan of the office to offer more space for volunteers and visitors.

Any additional details:


Program 29[edit]

Board Costs
The WMUK board in November 2012. Most meetings are similar, if not identical, to this
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This budget plans to cover the costs of our board meetings. These can last two days, and the budget also covers expenses for the trustees during that time (up to a certain amount). It will also cover the costs of volunteers to travel to the meetings, to report on their projects, and the cost of training and inductions for board members.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • The board costs are currently running to plan.
Activities conducted.
  • See here for a list of board meetings so far this year.
What worked and what did not?
  • Our Strategy Day event on 23 March was a good opportunity to develop planning and strategy at economic costs. In addition, piggybacking our EGM onto the GLAM-WIKI conference also reduced costs.

Any additional details:

  • We still need to agree the Board meeting schedule for next year.


Program 30[edit]

Legal Fees
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This budget allows for any legal costs that may arise, including the setting up of a pro-bono legal team.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • With £5,000 budgeted, and £2,880 spent so far this year, we have a higher spend than sustainable if the trend continues. However, with most of our procedures now in place, and the major post-Governance Review changes in process, we expect that major spends in this budget will reduce over the coming months.
Activities conducted.
  • Legal advice regarding the governance of Wikimedia UK
  • Legal advice regarding changes to the charity's constitution, in line with the Governance Review.
What worked and what did not?
  • The danger of overspending needs to be carefully monitored.

Any additional details:


Program 31[edit]

Project Management – refer to FDC bid key initiatives 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, and 6.7
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This program covers costs towards establishing a proper system of project and program management.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • PQASSO - the Practical Quality Assurance System for Small Organisations - is being worked on with an external governance advisor. There has not been much progress beyond establishing Level One, and working towards a complete Level Two certification. This is because the governance review has taken the spotlight. In addition, not all trustees have yet received individual training. No volunteers are involved to any great degree, this is an internal program.
Activities conducted.
  • See above.
What worked and what did not?
  • No significant progress on this owing to parallel Governance Review - we are still working towards securing Level Two accreditation. However, we feel that this is still an appropriate governance tool, and we will need improve our standing over the next three quarters.

Any additional details:


Program 32[edit]

Accountancy Fees
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • As a medium-sized charity, and one of the larger Wikimedia chapters, we are required to undergo a full audit every year by an independent auditor. This, unfortunately, costs money. This program covers the costs of our annual accounts and audit, quarterly management accounts and additional consultancy work.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Our first pre-review draft of figures for our annual report is due for internal circulation in May 2013. We expect the major spend in this budget to be in Q3.
Activities conducted.
  • 2012-13 Audit in progress.
What worked and what did not?

Any additional details:


Program 33[edit]

Annual Report – refer to FDC bid key initiative 3.3
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • Our report must be created on time and on budget, ideally within 15 months of the last one, as it is part of our requirements for reporting to the Charity Commission and Companies House.
  • Our report should also detail the major activities and events for the year, giving thanks to key volunteers, and encouraging new people to participate.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Work is continuing on the Annual Report, with an early first draft ready for circulation (checking figures are accurate, etc).
Activities conducted.
  • First draft nearing completion
  • Early stages of a multimedia edition for the report is planned - either a video, or a website, or something similar.
What worked and what did not?
  • It is too early to draw conclusions from this budget.

Any additional details:

  • See here for early drafts.
  • See here for last year's report.


Program 34[edit]

Insurance
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This budget covers:
    Specialist data insurance (as requested by the WMF)
    General insurance to ensure that all our staff, trustees and volunteers are properly protected while undertaking work for Wikimedia UK worldwide.
    Any other insurance needs that may appear during the year.
  • The major spend for this budget is in September (Q3).
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Our insurance needs are currently covered. We are undergoing a review in Q2 to ensure that our insurance needs are fulfilled. This is managed solely by staff and trustees.
Activities conducted.
  • We have been reviewing whether or not we will need extra insurance after taking up the QRpedia project, due to issues surrounding the patent.
  • We have had to extend our coverage from 'US, Canada and Europe' to 'worldwide' coverage, as our volunteers and some staff will be visiting Hong Kong for Wikimania 2013.
What worked and what did not?
  • It is very important to ensure that your insurance company are aware that they're not insuring all of Wikipedia! Although underwriters are aware of this, some brokers will find a thorough explanation helpful.

Any additional details:


Program 35[edit]

Server
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This is to cover the costs of moving to our own secure server, managed by the office. There are no specific metrics for this budget, as it is a small sum and will be used purely for the purchase of a single item.
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Managed largely by the same people who are planning the Technology Committee. This is two trustees, a staff member, and a number of volunteers.
Activities conducted.
  • None this quarter.
What worked and what did not?
  • There have been no activities this quarter. None are planned until at least Q2.

Any additional details:


Program 36[edit]

Fundraising – refer to FDC bid key initiative 5.1
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • The costs of the fundraiser include many things. Metrics: Weekly (prefer daily/every 48 hours but see how we go in terms of whole workload) Can include numbers in monthly reports; Ongoing - Requests to cancel and set up DDs should be done daily. More complex queries that touch on other issues (editing, inquiry into existing donation etc) within week; Aiming to produce every three months (dependent on responses to donor survey, results of late 2012 newsletters etc)
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Queries dealt with within 48 hours. 1 staff and 1 volunteer involved
Activities conducted.
  • Drafts of policies to cover key gaps - privacy policy in place, but complaints process still needed
  • Successful delivery of 2 donor newsletters - one delivered, second in May pending discussions with WMF about shared donor contact
  • Conducted donor survey - first done
  • Run data cleanse - quotes being sought but not yet completed
What worked and what did not?
  • Issues over 2013 fundraiser leading to planning difficulties. Now resolved. Need to be able to work with donor community a paramount consideration.

Any additional details:


Program 37[edit]

Contingency
What are the objectives of this program? Please include metrics.
  • This general contingency is to allow for other miscellaneous costs, and can be used to 'top up' individual budgets so that even if an individual project goes over, we do not slip into our reserves. Metrics: not all spent
Progress against these objectives (include metrics and # of volunteers/staff involved)?
  • Small amount spent within parameters
Activities conducted.
  • Small amount spent within parameters
What worked and what did not?

Any additional details:


Lessons learned[edit]

Lessons from this quarter[edit]

A key objective of the funding is to enable the movement as a whole to understand how to achieve shared goals better and faster. An important way of doing this is to identify lessons learned from entities who receive funds, and to share these lessons across the movement. The purpose of this section is to elicit some of these insights, which will be shared throughout the movement. Please answer the following questions in 1–2 paragraphs each.

What were your major accomplishments in the past quarter, and how did you help to achieve movement goals?

  • In February interviews were held for three posts: a Volunteer Support Organiser, a GLAM Organiser, and an Education Organiser. All three are now in post, giving the charity greater capacity to complete its program of activity.
  • On 19 March the Compass Partnership released their review of WMUK’s governance. Of the 50 recommendations the board of trustees agreed to act on 43. Steps have been taken to implement the recommendations, with the foundation of a Governance Committee and an Auditing Committee towards the end of March, and an Extraordinary General Meeting held on 13 April to vote on three of the recommendations. The result was that all three were passed with very large majorities indicating strong support. Further changes are planned for the next quarter.
  • In March 2013 WMUK hosted a media event at TechHub where Jimmy Wales talked about Wikimedia. The event was successful in raising the profile of the charity amongst journalists, with opportunities for them to meet with volunteers involved with a variety of Wikimedia projects.
  • The largest outreach event of the first quarter was GLAM-Wiki 2013, organised by WMUK at the British Library. With about 200 attendees and positive discussions on the cultural-partners mailing lists afterwards, it was a successful event and provided useful networking opportunities and a platform for an exchange of ideas and experience.
  • Other outreach events were organised by Wikimedians in Residence and the WMUK office, usually taking the form of training sessions where people were taught how to edit.
  • As part of the charity’s mission of making information freely available to as large an audience as possible WMUK has been engaging with the Welsh language Wikipedia. Discussions are currently on-going with Robin Owain, who is a bureaucrat on the Welsh language Wikipedia.
  • On the international stage, WMUK hosted a meeting of the Wikimedia Chapters Association in February, and is supporting the UK’s bid to host Wikimania 2014. Preparation has to participate in Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 has also begun.

What were your major setbacks in the past quarter (e.g., programs that were not successful)?

  • Of the outreach programs which had been planned, the Leaders in Community training workshop did not take place. The workshop was aimed at 16 to 25 year olds in Tower Hamlets, addressing aspects of our extended outreach program. A power failure at the venue led to the cancellation of the training session.
  • Our new wikimeet in Brighton attracted only one volunteer. Need to re-assess how to attract people to meets.
  • Our new editor training session in Oldham, despite the presence of a good training team and 14 people registered to attend only 4 turned up on the day. Need to work out why this happened and what the lessons are for the future.

What factors (organizational, environmental) enabled your success?

  • Increased staff capacity allowing support for volunteer activities.
  • Maturing programme delivery, learning from previous year in order to anticipate problems.

What unanticipated challenges did you encounter and how did this affect what you were able to accomplish?

  • Issues around finalising the transfer or QRpedia to the Chapter. Has led to a great deal of trustee and staff engagement and extra legal costs. This was an extra management burden.

What changes might you make in executing your initiatives into the next quarter?

  • Undertaking a review of volunteer procedures.

Additional information[edit]

Provide any other relevant information that may be helpful or relevant for the FDC (e.g., links to any media coverage, blog posts, more detailed reports, more detailed financial information).

We provide monthly summary reports of our activities. These reports include details of fundraising and membership, links to our blog posts, press coverage, events and some outline community activities.

You can find the appropriate reports for the period of this progress report below:

Compliance[edit]

Is your organization compliant with the terms outlined in the grant agreement?[edit]

As required in the grant agreement, please report any deviations from your grant proposal here. Note that, among other things, any changes must be consistent with our WMF mission, must be for charitable purposes as defined in the grant agreement, and must otherwise comply with the grant agreement.

  • There have been no deviations from our grant proposal.

Are you in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes".

  • Yes.

Are you in compliance with provisions of the United States Internal Revenue Code (“Code”), and with relevant tax laws and regulations restricting the use of the Grant funds as outlined in the grant agreement? Please answer "Yes".

  • Yes.

Signature[edit]

Once complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.