Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015 round1/Amical Wikimedia/Proposal form
Community review has ended. You are still welcome to comment on these proposals, but the FDC and the applicants may not be able to respond to your feedback or consider it during the deliberations.
Please do not edit this proposal form directly. If changes are needed, applicants can request them on the proposal form's discussion page. Thank you!
- 1 Basic information
- 2 Community engagement
- 3 Organization planning and reports
- 4 Financials: year-to-date progress
- 5 Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
- 6 Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 7 Financials: upcoming year's annual plan
- 8 OPTIONAL: Multi-year funding pilot program
- 9 Verification that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
Eligible organizations may complete this form to request an Annual Plan Grant from the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) in the current round. This complete proposal form must be published in English on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round for your organization's application to be considered. No changes should be made to this proposal form and supplementary documents after these proposal submission date without written approval from FDC staff, and any proposal forms created will be considered 'submitted' after the proposal submission deadline unless the applying organization withdraws the application in writing.
The purpose of this document is to provide the FDC with an overview of your organization's annual plan, the alignment of the plan with the Wikimedia movement’s strategic priorities, and the potential impact of the plan. This proposal should complement any annual planning documents your organization may have such as your organization's annual plan and strategic plan: please complete all fields and add links to supporting documents where relevant. If any documents are submitted in draft form (e.g. an annual plan that has not yet been approved by the organization's General Assembly), please link to the final version of the document once it has been approved, even if it is approved after the deadline. If you are a representative of the applicant organization, you may request permission to add information to this proposal form on the proposal form discussion page. All requested changes will be reviewed by FDC staff.
Please review the documents describing the Annual Plan Grants process, including the FDC Framework, Guidancefor the FDC from the Board, and the FDC's past funding recommendations: FDC recommendations. These documents include critical information for applicants.
If you have any questions about the form, please contact FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org. If you have general suggestions or comments about the form itself, please leave them on the discussion page for this form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming year that can be used as a summary of your proposal. (This should be about 200 words, and should be easy for anyone to understand.)
On 2015 we want to keep a plan focused on content and outcomes on the Wikimedia projects, and builds on past successes, by keeping our community-driven model marked by our 2014-2018 strategic plan. Our main focus of partnerships will be Educational Sector and GLAM (Specially Libraries), because we have remarked that it is the kind of partnership that is mid-term sustainable and give both sides best return of our efforts investment (new editors, specific quality content, territorial reach and increase of readers)
Amical wants to be the bridge between those cultural and social agents and Wikimedia projects by empowering key members of both communities with technical and programmatic skills. We believe in autosustenaible projects, so we help people to become autonomous and regular contributors, so they are able not only to collaborate with Wikimedia projects but also to start their own activities to engage new people. The projects, then, become viral, being replicated by different organizations with shared principles, so they are more efficient and require less Amical's resources.
We also try to keep very close to the active community of Wikimedia projects editors, so we regularly send projects calls and transform community's most voted proposals into our programmatic activities. This way we ensure good levels of volunteer participation, not only with Amical member but with the whole Catalan community of editors.
- 2. Contact information.
- Legal name of organization: Amical Viquipèdia (Amical Wikimedia)
- Organization's fiscal year (mm/dd–mm/dd): 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested (mm/dd/yy–mm/dd/yy): 01/01/2015-12/31/2015
- Primary contact name and position in organization: Arnau Duran Ferrero (President)
- Primary contact username or Email: Arnaugir / presidentwikimedia.cat
- Secondary contact name and position in organization: Àlex Hinojo
- Secondary contact username or Email: User:Kippelboy / glamwikimedia.cat
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested ()||US$ ()|
|Total annual expenses of organization||94.100,66 EUR||123.554,17 USD|
|Amount requested from the FDC for the upcoming year's annual plan||82.100,66 EUR||107.798,17 USD|
|Amount to be raised from non-FDC sources (total from Table 5)||12.000,00 EUR||15.756,00 USD|
|Amount to be drawn from reserves for the upcoming year's annual plan||0 EUR||0 USD|
|Amount of FDC funds allocated for the current year's annual plan||74.000,00 EUR||97.162,00 USD|
- 4. What is your organization's proposed rate of growth in total budget since last year? Please explain your organization's rationale if your proposed budget will increase this year.
This section provides the FDC an overview of your organization's work with volunteers and online contributors.
- 1. Which Wikimedia community or communities does your organization work with most closely, and which online Wikimedia project or projects does your organization's work support?
- All existing Catalan language Wikimedia Projects and also multilingual projects like Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. Also focus on Catalan culture content in non Catalan language projects (e.g. English Wikipedia)
- 2. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments? How else does your organization consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
We do open calls to community of editors so they can propose projects. The same community votes the most interesting projects and then we adapt their proposals into an anual program proposal, which is reviewed and approved by the community before formally applying for it. We also do quarterly open evaluations of Amical's work with all the community so anyone can check/apply/comment if the organization is doing what is expected to. We also maintain some chat meetings every year where we can ask editors to advice us. Those meetings are open to all Catalan Wikimedia Projects users, not only to Amical members.
Besides the regular quarterly evalulation, we have a key person whose specifical role is getting feedback and proposals from the community and asking the Association to start/keep/stop related projects. With this system community can formally propose ideas/projects, evaluate them regularly while ongoing or once done and also we assure that the projects that we do have support by the community.
We are planning to include in the annual meeting (open to both members and user editors) an extra space where people can evaluate our work and discuss the project scopes.
Organization planning and reports
Please provide links to your organization’s planning documents and reports. All of these documents are required unless otherwise indicated.
Your organization's strategic planning documents, past reports, and current annual planning documents, are essential to our understanding of your organization's proposal. If you think you will have difficulty submitting any of these documents with your organization's proposal form by the proposal submission deadline, you should contact FDC staff right away. You may also provide notes to this table here, as well as links to any supplementary documents to this proposal form.
Completed fiscal year Current year Upcoming year Annual plan (including budget) None, Budget Activities Plan 2014, Budget Activities Plan 2015, Budget Community discussion around annual plan Internal Internal  Annual report (including financial report) 2013 Financial report, 2013 Annual report (Catalan) Not required. Not required. Strategic plan Strategic Plan 2011-2013 (Catalan) Amical Wikimedia/Strategic Plan 2014-2018 Amical Wikimedia/Strategic Plan 2014-2018
Table 2 notes: we did not have an annual plan for 2013. In mid-2013 we drafted the Strategic Plan 2014-18 and the Activities Plan 2014 accordingly.
Financials: year-to-date progress
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is spending on your current grant, or during your current annual plan. The period defined as year-to-date should be the start date of your fiscal year you defined in Contact information, until 1 September 2014. Your projected amount should be the amount your organization expects to spend by the end of the current fiscal year you defined in Contact information.
Current funding period planned / budgeted Year-to-date funding period actuals Projected end of current funding period In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US Revenues (from all sources) 86.000,00 € 112.918,00 USD 102.117,96 € 134.080,88 USD 10.000,00 € 13.100,00 USD Expenses 86.000,00 € 112.918,00 USD 43.191,61 € 56.710,58 USD 26.000,00 €35.114,16 € 34.060,00 USD46.104,89 USD
Table 3 notes:
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a group of activities that share the same objectives. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You are welcome to provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section of this proposal form or in a supplementary document. Please answer all four questions for each program.
Community suggested, other partnerships and innovation projects
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
- Amical has no organogram, other than the Board (composed by President, Secretary, Treasurer and one Board member) and one employee.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- Numbers for current staff should include staff your organization has hired or plans to hire in this current funding period, and proposed staff should include staff your organization will hire in the upcoming funding period. You should include both permanent staff and longterm contractors in this table and list the number of fulltime equivalents, where one fulltime staff person would be 1.0 (for example, if your organization has 2 part-time staff working at 50% each in a department then you would list the number of fulltime equivalents (FTEs) as 1.0, while if your organization has 1 full-time staff person working at 100% then you would also list the number of fulltime equivalents as 1.0).
Department or function FTEs by end of current year FTEs by end of upcoming year Explanation of changes Programme Manager 1 1 n/a Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 1 1 n/a Total staff expenses (currency requested) 46.300,66 EUR 46.300,66 EUR n/a Total staff expenses ($US) 60.792,97 USD 60.792,97 USD
Table 4 notes:
- 3. Did your organization made any significant changes to your staffing plan since publishing your organization's most current annual plan at the beginning of the funding period, such as hiring more or fewer staff than planned or hiring staff on a different schedule than planned? Please describe any significant changes here.
- No changes.
- 4. What overall percentage of staff time is spent directly on programs?
- 100% (more or less: 35% education, 35% GLAM, 20% other projects, 10% community)
Financials: upcoming year's annual plan
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual plan
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget. This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or as a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year's annual plan
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues by revenue source in the upcoming year. Use the status column to indicate if this funding is guaranteed, whether you are in the process of requesting funding, or whether you are planning to request funding later. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources, as applicable.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
Fees memberships and donations 2.500,00 EUR 3.282,50 USD guaranteed Project ICUB (Institut Cultura Barcelona) 4.000,00 EUR 5.252,00 USD Budget approved Wikiproject DHUB 4.000,00 EUR 5.252,00 USD Requested Conference and Libraries 1.500,00 EUR 1.969,50 USD In anticipation APG 82.100,66 EUR 107.798,17 USD Requested Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 12.000,00 EUR94.100,66 € EUR 15.756,00 USD123.554,17 USD -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual plan
Please use this table to report information about your organization's planned operating reserves. Since this information is included here, you should not include it as part of your planned program or operational expenses. There are some restrictions about how much FDC funding your organization can use to build up your reserves.
Local currency $US Total anticipated amount in operating reserves (by the end of the current fiscal year) 6.772,71 EUR21.772,71 EUR 8.892,57 EUR28.587,57 USD Total existing reserves from the current year to be carried over as reserves in the upcoming year 6.772,71 EUR21.772,71 EUR 8.892,57 EUR28.587,57 EUR Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (excluding FDC funding) 15.000,00 EUR0,00 EUR 19.695,00 USD0,00 USD Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year from FDC funding only 0,00 EUR 0,00 USD Total planned reserves in the upcoming year (should equal the sum of the rows except the first): 21.772,71 EUR 0,00 EUR21.772,71 EUR 28.587,57 USD 0,00 USD28.587,57 EUR
Table 6 notes: Attend commitments 3 months
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program / initiative In currency requested In $US Community 12.000,00 EUR 15.756,00 USD GLAM 9.000,00 EUR 11.817,00 USD Education 9.000,00 EUR 11.817,00 USD Community suggested, other partnerships and innovation projects 13.000,00 EUR 17.069,00 USD Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 47.800,00 EUR43.000,00 EUR 62.761,40 USD56.459,00 USD
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type In currency requested In $US Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 43.000,00 EUR 56.459,00 USD Operations (excludes staff and programs) 4.800,00 EUR 6.302,40 USD Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 46.300,66 EUR 60.792,77 USD Amount to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (from Table 6) 0 EUR 0 USD Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 98.900,66 EUR94.100,66 EUR 129.856,97 USD123.554,17 USD
Table 8 notes:
DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: During 2014-2015 Round 1 we will be launching a multi-year funding pilot program where APG applicants can request a two-year funding commitment from the FDC. Participating organizations will provide the FDC with information about milestones for two-year programs during the next year's proposal cycle (2015-2016 Round 1), as well as with their annual plans and budgets for the second year.
Not all organizations will be participating in this program since it is a pilot, and a list of organizations eligible to apply for multi-year funding will be announced soon. This section is included in the current version of the proposal form, to ensure that it is available to any organizations that might need it if they are participating in the pilot. Please do not complete this section unless you know your organization is eligible to participate in this pilot program.
- 1. Will your organization be seeking a two-year funding commitment from the FDC during this proposal cycle?
- 2. Please use this table to show which programs you will continue over a two-year period and list some milestones that you would like to report on after the first 8 months of your programs (to be achieved by 1 September 2015)
OPTIONAL: Multi-year funding pilot program
- DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: As part of this pilot program, your organization will be asked to report on milestones reached by 1 September 2015 for your two-year programs by 1 October 2015. This information will be reviewed by the FDC during the 2015-2016 Round 1 proposal cycle, along with your annual plan and budget for the second year of funding, after which the second year of funding will be released by the FDC.
Program name Start date Completion date Milestones (by 1 September 2015) Notes 1 2 3 4 5
Table 9 notes:
The FDC or FDC staff may reach out to you for more information about your two-year plans as part of this pilot program, or may need to make changes to this section of the proposal form based on early learnings from this pilot. Participating organizations, please bear with us.
Verification that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the [[Special:MyLanguage/<tvar|link>Grants:PEG</>]].
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities Yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing.