Grants:Conference/Hindi Wikimedians/Hindi Wikipedia Conference 2018/Report
Did you meet your goals?
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|20 Participants||30 Participants||We received amazing response and we were able to accommodate more people. Accommodation facility (with all 3 meals) was given to all the participants|
|20 Scholarships||30 Scholarships||We managed to adjust additional 10 people within same budget|
|Participation from 1 country, 5 states and 10 cities||Participants came from 3 countries, 10+ states and 18+ cities||We got diverse participation from neighboring countries and major Indian states|
Please share a brief update about the status projects, important discussions and/or capacity building that took place at the event.
|Activities during the conference||2 months after the conference||6 months after the conference|
Were any significant issues your community discussed at the conference?
Policy level discussion started at the conference
(About selecting admins, main page maintenance etc)
Such discussions were moved to Village Pump for wider participation.
|Capacity Development: Please list capacity building sessions or workshops.||Individuals were trained through one-on-one conversations. General capacity building session did not take place due to time constraint an||WhatsApp (follow-up) Calls and conference calls with members interested in hosting 2019 Hindi Wiki Conference.||Survey participants 6 months after event -- how many people have used the skills they learned?
- Most of the participants used skills
|Projects or Working Groups:
What are the most important projects that were started or improved during the conference?
|Teams were divided based on geographic regions and volunteers committed to organizing at-least one workshop on their own city||Provide an update on projects that were started, or changes that were made as a result of work done at the conference.
- World Hindi Conference working group active and community is working with government officials to promote Hindi Wikipedia
Conferences and events do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well at the event?
- Diverse participation : 30 attendees came from 3 countries, 10 states and 20+ different cities.
- Bridging Gendergap - 20% female participation
- Almost all active Wikipedians and Administrators attended the conference
- Many Wikipedians met for the first time and it helped to create WikiFamily bond
- Video interviews + video feedback from attendees
- Pre-Conference WhatsApp group helped participants to socialize even before the conference and to share updates
- What did not work so well?
- Program schedule was not followed strictly
- Time management was not up to the mark - all sessions started 30 min late
- Delhi-darshan did not take place due to delay in program
- Few listed presentations did not take place (however many unplanned presentations took place)
- On-stage management (screen/projector etc setup) took time
- What would you do differently next time?
- Program : Focus on designing strong program guide and keep it open for discussion on village pump for at-least 30 days
- Agenda : Separate "Program Committee" to work on designing agenda/program and timetable for the conference
- Stage Management : Dedicated team to keep track of time and manage stage (projector/mike etc)
- Expectations : Set up expectations in advance and initiate discussions through Google hangout at-least week in advance
- Scholarships : Along with calls - Send E-Mails, Talk page messages, WhatsApp messages (utilize all possible channels) to inform recipients
- Travel : Partnership with travel agency for booking flight tickets
- Make sure all participants get similar rooms (same category standard rooms) so there is no discrimination
- Ask participants if they have any preference to share the room
- Keep Veg/Non-veg food separately and ask hotel staff to mark Non-Veg items with dark colors to avoid confusion
- Make sure you give all requirements to hotel manager in advance
- Misc. (some tips for next conference organizers) :
- Consider forex exchange rate fluctuation while writing the grant budget : When we applied for grant, Dollar to rupee conversion was 65 INR however at during the conference it came down to 62 INR and went up to 67. Also consider local taxes like GST.
- Consider alternate communication channels like Telegram, Google groups etc.
- Reach out to WMF Staff in advance : We had several calls with Kacie Harold and overall WMF staff was helpful, committee as well as staff explained the process. Feel free to ask questions instead of assuming things.
- Insurance : If possible, try to get insurance for the conference. Volunteers handle things carefully but sometimes things break unintentionally and it is unfair to expect volunteers to pay for breakage/damage. Insurance can be used for minor/major issues (if any).
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)||Notes|
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days + celebration space
50 people capacity
|1||24,255||385||Discounted rate in same hotel for 'three days' |
Another small conference room for 20 people complimentary.
|2||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||7000/room x 10 rooms x 3 days||7000||02,03,868||3236|
includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and free WiFi for all three days.
|3||Travel||Travel scholarships||20||7000||01,35,954||2158||For top contributors and interested participants across India|
|4||Video Documentation||Short interview videos of experienced Wikipedians + short documentary of entire conference||2||10,000||19,404||308||Will be released on commons as well as on other social media platforms. These videos can beed in WMF
as well other post-conference blogs.
|4||Felicitation / Gifts||Memento for participants and active contributors recognising their contribution.||20||500||9,765||155||+Thanksgiving to Administrators on Hindi Wikipedia|
|5||Print Material||(Banners/I-Cards/Posters etc)||variable||2,961||47|
|8||Administrative costs||fiscal sponsor/partner||1||N/A||88200||1400||Accounting, reporting, documentation etc by fiscal sponsor|
- Summary of funding
Total project budget (from your approved grant submission):
- INR 508,850/- (*As of 23rd Sept 2017, $1 = ~65 INR)
Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission):
- INR 508,850/- (*As of 23rd Sept 2017, $1 = ~65 INR)
Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above):
- INR 494,109
Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project:
- INR 494,109
Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Remaining funds
Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
Is there anything else you want to share about the conference or event?
Video interview of Hindi Wikipedia Conference attendee
Video Interview of the participant
Nepal Participants sharing their thoughts about the conference
Survey Infographics :