Grants:Conference/Innocentbunny/Wikisammelan Kolkata 2019/Report
Did you meet your goals?
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|No. of Participants expected:
|No. of Scholarships Awarded:
|22 given; 19 showed up||The scholarship committee managed to alocate travel scholarship funding to 22 applicants. However, few applicants, selected for scholarship were unfortunately unable to attend the event due to some personal preoccupations.|
|To ensure as diverse participation as possible, so as to cover most of the large geographic area of the Hindi speaking region||We had participants from 11 States of India, and Nepal. Out of the participants from India, we also had participants from outside the typical Hindi Speaking region of North India, amounting to ~26% of scholarship recipients.||Such a diverse participation shows the appeal and reach of Hindi Wikipedia and other wikiprojects, all throughout the geography of the Hindi Speaking region and also beyond the Hindi belt. To us, this did serve as a moral booster and reflects the potential Hindi Wikipedia has among Hindi speakers.|
|Focusing on Gender gap and giving special preference to including as many new contributors as possible||
||These targets with respect to diversity of participation was a special point of focus for the Scholarship and conference program committees, and they did their best to include diversity of participation wrt to gender and skill-gap in the community.
Please share a brief update about the status projects, important discussions and/or capacity building that took place at the event.
|Activities during the conference||2 months after the conference||6 months after the conference|
Were any significant issues your community discussed at the conference?
|The following srtategic discussion sessions were held in the conference.
|Capacity Development: Please list capacity building sessions or workshops.||Capacity Building and skill gap being an important point in the agenda of the event. The program team did their best to include sessions, with foucus on capacity building and inviting Resource persons from cross wiki communities. The program schedule can be seen on the event page (here) The capacity development sessions were:
No parallel sessions/discussions were held during the Workshops/training sessions. Hence, these sessions were attended by all the participants of the conference, including students.
|Survey participants 6 months after event -- how many people have used the skills they learned?|
|Projects or Working Groups:
What are the most important projects that were started or improved during the conference?
|The conference, managed to create a concensus towards organically and systematic developement and management of articles/content on Hindi Wikiprojects, specifically on Hi Wikipedia and Wikisource. Two main working groups/projects have been started after this conference for follow-up activities/implementation of the agenda discussed:
||Provide an update on projects that were started, or changes that were made as a result of work done at the conference.|
Conferences and events do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well at the event?
- The event saw a diverse and enthusiastic participation from all over the Hindi Community and Cross community as well; and actually was the biggest event organised by the Hindi Community in terms of number of participants.
- This event was able to successfully able to create a local Hindi Wiki Community in Kolkata, thanks to the involvement of local students in the conference as participants and through pre-conference workshops. The effects of this can be seen primarily in the sudden boost in activity on Hindi Wikisource.
- Bridging Genger gap:32% female participants.
- 47% of the participants were first timers in any offline event. Thus giving oppertunity to socialize and create new wikifriends.
- pre and post conference work was able to establish Wikisource as another active Hindi Wikiproject as an important online resource. And the work is set to continue under the working group focused on wikisource.
- The event was well-scheduled and a dedicated stage management ensured that the program routine was followed largely on-time and as planned, which was a problem in the last conference.
- The event venue was centrally located in the city with lots of transportation options available nearby, thus allowing easy access to transportation and tours to the participants. This also ensured complete attendance at the conference venue up until late.
- Creation of dedicated email account helped in communication and transparency among the organisers.
- What did not work so well?
- Some senior member of the community were unable to attend the conference due to personal preoccupations. Most however gave online presentations/workshops.
- There were speed issues with the wifi/internet provided by the hotel.
- Due to delay in funds transfer, the airfare expenses increased very significantly. Although we managed to keep the expenses within budget.Thanks in part to the participants who responded to our requests to keep moderation in their travel expenses.
- We had problems paying advance payment to book the hotel, due to lack of any viable online payment options in the hotel. For organisers of future events, we would highly recommend choosing a hotel which accepts easy online payments.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Plan in advance to ensure timely transfer of funds.
- Make sure that flight tickets be booked well before conference dates (3 weeks atleast), so as to keep prices within budget.
- Make sure that the hotel has online money transfer facility and make arrangements for better wifi speeds in the conference.
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Budget table
Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions. Review the instructions here. These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
|Number||Category||Description||Expenditure (IN₹)||Expenditure (USD)
based on exchange rate on 14/7/19 as per Oanda
|Total Budget in IN₹||Total Budget in USD (approximate)
based on exchange rate on 4/9/18 as per Oanda
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days||31,869||464.65||50,000||704.92||Costs related to renting the conference equipments like Microphones, projector, high-speed internet, etc.|
|2||Food & Catering||Cost of meals and buffet for participants||52,364||763.46||50,000||704.92|
|3||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||1,77,277||2,584.70||1,80,000||2,537.71||Rooms booked @ INR 4500+taxes/day plus minor room service charges.|
|4||Travel Scholarships||Includes air-fare and cab fares||1,38,543||2,019.96||1,80,000||2,537.71|
|5||Felicitation / Gifts||T-Shirts, Certificates & Id cards||11,650||169.85||20,000||281.96|
|6||Print Material||Banners & Posters||4,012||58.49||5,000||70.49|
|7||Misc||Miscellaneous Costs||3,481||50.75||20,000||281.96||Includes money transfer charges, local travel costs and other small uncategorized expenses|
|8||Administrative Fees||administrative fees by fiscal sponsor||0||0||1,01,000||1,405.08||No fiscal sponsor was included|
- Summary of funding
Total project budget (from your approved grant submission):
- IN₹ 6,06,000
Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission):
- IN₹ 6,06,000
Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above):
- IN₹ 4,19,196
Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project:
- IN₹ 4,19,196 (USD 6,111.89)
Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Remaining funds
Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- IN₹ 1,86,798
Is there anything else you want to share about the conference or event?
Pictures of the conference: