Grants:Conference/UG KO/WikiConference Seoul 2017
Goals and outcomes
Please list three to four priorities that the community has identified that they want to focus on at this conference. These should be specific and actionable.
- To deliver new knowledge related to Wikimedia project.
- To share and discuss users' experience related to the project.
- To introduce usefulness and publicness of the project.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- We have held an annual conference since 2015. It is the biggest event to gather Wikimedia users and share their experience related to the project. This year is very special for us, because it is 15th anniversary of Korean Wikipedia. In addition, Korean IT giants and governments start to realize importance of contents and data of Wikimedia in artificial intelligence technology. We think this is a new opportunity to promote the project.
- 2. How does this event tie into other activities that your group has done?
- A cooperative project with Seosan City Government is in progress. In October when the conference will be held, the project will be finished. We will deliver and talk over the result of the project.
- 3. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what outcomes and benefits have you seen from past conferences?
- First of all, we can learn new knowledge of the Wikimedia projects in the conference. For example, in 2015, we delivered a presentation about Wikidata. Although the project started in 2012, many users didn't know about that, because it was very technical. Thought the presentation, participants can understand the project. Secondly, the annual conference gives an opportunity to meet other users offline, and maintain human network with them. Finally, we can realize what people who are not a user are interested in. Through 2015, and 2016 conference, we could know the non-users understood an educational issue easier than other issues.
- 4. Please list the focus priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
- 5. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- We need to diversify subjects dealt with in the conference, because people who have various interests participate in the conference. Unfortunately, we didn't add technical issue to the program table in 2016, and could not satisfy people who were interested in that issue. We will attempt to invite experts and users in various fields.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You are welcome to modify, delete or add to the metrics listed below so they reflect the goals of your event.
|# of active users||We expect at least 20 active users to participate in, including speakers.|
|# of individuals involved||We expect at least 100 people to attend, becuase about 100 people gathered in 10th anniversarty of Korean Wikipedia.|
|# of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||We assume that at least 20 articles will be added or improved in the edit-a-thon session.|
|# of projects/partnerships inspired by the conference.||After the conference, we expect at least one new projects related to Wikidata to get started. We attempt to create one-two partnerships with regional governments or public organizations in one year.|
Venue and Logistics
- WikiConference Seoul 2017 will be held at COEX. Our group members suggested this place at the general assembly this year, because it is one of the most famous place in South Korea and the ceremony for 10th anniversary of Korean wikipedia, which was held at this place was very successful. We will rent two rooms to divide sessions.
- Friendly space policy
- Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
- Do you need or want guidance on how to implement a friendly space policy?
- We will translate and use the general Friendly space policies.
Please give a brief outline of the conference schedule or program and any events or activities you are planning for participants. The timing, topics and format of each session should be finalized and published on Meta six weeks before the event.
The conference will be held in October 14. During presentations, edit-a-thons will be held in other room, where simple introduction for new users will be provided. Most of presentation will be delivered in Korean.
The program will include:
- introduction to Wikidata
- state/future of Wikidata
- strategy 2030 project
- result in cooperation with Seosan City Government
- sociological analysis on Wikimedia community
- knowledge bias in Wikimedia figured out through data
- experience of using Wikimedia as an educational tool
Grant reviewers will be interested to read how the planning discussion developed and who was engaged. Please link below to all of the places where discussion about this conference are happening, i.e. talk pages, Facebook groups, meetup pages, notes from meetings. The most central, up to date, and relevant page should be highlighted in BOLD letters.
- w:ko:위키백과:위키컨퍼런스 서울 2015#후기
- Grants:PEG/UG KO/WikiConference Seoul 2015/Report#Global Metrics (Learning question)
- w:ko:위키백과:위키컨퍼런스 서울 2016#후기
- w:ko:위키백과:위키컨퍼런스 서울 2017
- w:ko:위키백과:사랑방 (일반)/2017년 제22주#위키컨퍼런스 서울 2017 의견 요청
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- We are mainly targeting to Wikimedia users and our potential partners. However, we won't exclude newbies, and we will provide introduction to the project for them in the edit-a-thon.
- 2. If you are requesting funds for travel scholarships, what criteria will be used to select scholarship recipients?
- We will give travel scholarships to only speakers.
- 3. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- Before the conference, we will determine who is our potential partner and send invitations to them. Recently, some of Korean companies are developing their products using the artificial intelligence technology. We think they would be interested in our contents and data. In addition, we are cooperating with the Seosan City government, so other regional governments can be our partners. We will invite public servants from the Seosan and other governments.
- 4. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- As we mentioned above, this year is 15th anniversary of Korean Wikipedia. We think it is a good chance to attract attention of people and press. In addition, because of the AI technology, the interest in Wikimedia is bigger than it has ever been. We want to invite Katherine Maher, Executive Director, and hope her to celebrate our anniversary and deliver the future of the project. If possibe, we want to invite a member of staff involved in Wikidata for Wikimedia Deutschland or WMF.
Please describe how you plan to follow up with event participants after the conference.
We will develop constant partnerships with outer organizations, modeling after what we have done. We will also hold a small conference for educators to promote the project as a useful educational tool.
Resources and risks
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
- Dr. Manjai Lee (Chairman)
- User:Mineralsab (Manager)
- User:Ryuch (Program)
We held a ceremony to celebrate 10th anniversary of Korean Wikimedia on October 13, 2012 in Seoul, when we were a preparatory committee. After approved as a user group, we hold an annual conference.
- w:ko:위키백과:한국어 위키백과 10주년 축하 모임 (Ceremony for 10th Anniversary of Korean Wikipedia)
- w:ko:위키백과:위키컨퍼런스 서울 2015 (WikiConference Seoul 2015)
- w:ko:위키백과:위키컨퍼런스 서울 2016 (WikiConference Seoul 2016)
- Whether: If it will rain on the day of conference, the number of participants would be decreased.
- Knowledge gaps: this event is a general conference, and people from various background will attend. We think technical issue is very important, but it would be too hard for some people. We will provide an introduction or a brochure for them.
- Lack of experience: Although some of our members are developers, our group haven't run any technical projects. We need WMF's advice about that.
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost KRW||WMF contribution||Other sources||WMF Contribution in USD|
|2||Equipment||Technical (projectors, etc.)||480,000||480,000||0||$431|
|3||Equipment||Non-technical (chairs, etc.)||100,000||100,000||0||$90|
|4||Travel||Invited speakers||per person||100,000||10||1,000,000||0||1,000,000||0|
|5||Food and beverages||Lunch||per person||100||10,000||1,000,000||1,000,000||0||$899|
|6||Food and beverages||Snacks||1 package||30||2,300||69,000||69,000||0||$62|
|7||Food and beverages||Beverages||per person||100||4,100||410,000||410,000||0||$369|
|8||Food and beverages||A ceremonial cake||1 piece||1||100,000||100,000||100,000||0||$90|
|9||Souvenirs||T-shirts Wikipedia-logo printed||1 piece||100||3,680||368,000||368,000||0||$331|
|10||Souvenirs||Hats Wikipedia-logo printed||1 piece||100||6,050||605,000||605,000||0||$544|
|11||Miscellaneous materials (banners, etc.)||270,000||270,000||0||$243|
- Total cost of event
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- 5,383,200 KRW
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- We will spend our own fund, and pay up to 2,000,000 KRW.
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.