Grants:Conference/Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda/WikiIndaba Conference 2021
Purpose and vision
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
WikiIndaba conference is the regional conference of African Wikimedians within Africa and diasporas. The primary aim of the conference is to promote the growth of Wikimedia projects in Africa, enhance the growth and development of Wikimedia communities in this continent and to foster good working relationship between these communities. It’s a conference for African Wikimedians to discuss the future of the Wikimedia Movement in Africa in terms of strategy, collaboration, and organizational development. Our events will includes partnership track which will provide a platform for learning, capacity building and sharing of experiences and ideas on how to kick-start partnership projects that will address the challenges and opportunities faced by Wikimedia movement in Africa. We also plan a “Capacity-Building & Learning track” that will provide a platform to learn from each other’s experiences and achievements and work with participants on how to best continue this exchange throughout the year.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Number of participants||100|
|Event page||WikiIndaba conference 2020|
|Primary contact person||Erina Mukuta|
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
|-Female engagement and training
-Movement Strategy and implementation
-Finance, funding, management and remuneration
-Data Security and Internet
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
|-Improving the quality of local content in our communities e.g African languages and local topics.
-Trainings on the various Wikimedia projects
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
|-Introducing quality into African Wikipedias and editors.
-Making African Connections.
-African cultural heritage
-Oral documentatio and editing
|Medium to low|
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|- community growth
-cross region projects/programs
- How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?
14 people did the survey
2. Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals?
There was consensus in Discussions in topics relating to;
-African languages, connections, heritage and continental projects
- Strategy in terms of Africa
3.Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?
-Sharing experience and discussions
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- We bid to plan this event this year because we saw is as an opportunity to increase participation by the East African community which has not been greatly involved. Bringing such a conference to East Africa will increase awareness to the greater community about Wikimedia projects and in turn increase on partnerships with knowledge organisations.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- The community has been working on coordinating activities in East Africa. Through promoting the creation of usergroups in the different countries. This was done my the East African strategy summit we hosted in Kampala that brought knowledge partners from around East Africa
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
|Strategic discussions like African Language Wikipedia, fundraising , gender Gap|
|Capacity building in areas of leadership and community|
|Joint projects like GLAM, Education , Wiki women and offline projects|
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
We hosted the east african wikimedia summit and some of our key learning points include;
- timely and constant communication amongst core team and to invited guests
-Appreciated the use of Event leads
Venue and Logistics
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- Online, zoom, social media
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
Friendly space policy
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
The friendly space policy for Wikimedia Foundation events will be used for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- Audience will be composed of active African Wikimedians in Africa and Diaspora .
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- we would like to invite partners with common objectives in regards to open resources, tools and diversity. Being our partners, an invitation will strengthen our partnership and create an understanding across the continent. These partners will get exposure to continent wide initiatives.
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- Veronica Thamaini
- I would like WMF staff too help in facilitation of break out sessions and also address this new way of meeting in the virtual world.
- We would also appreciate Support from the Events team to support in the organization of
- video conferencing and learning days
- Translation and transcription
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- we would like to offer 100 online scholarships
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- Child care
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- A form will be sent out to participants to indicate if they will require support
Resources and risks
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|Partners and Sponsors||Douglaseru|
|Other team members|
- Small volunteer base to coordinate all work . The team will need to get support from event coordination partners
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Units for item||Number and cost per unit||Item Cost UGX||Item cost||Notes|
|2||Platform||zoom||membership/subscription||1||$830||social space, presentation and broadcasting|
|3||Coordination||Facilitation||days||5x shs 600,000X5days||15,000,000||$5000|
|4||Merch to participants and shipping costs||per attendee|
|5||Stipend||Reimbursement for child care, Internet||70 x $100||$7000||Apply and be reimbursed|
|6||Accessibility||Translation (Portuguese, French and any other language)||one translator per day for two hours is $500||$4000||Please Note service providers said costs will depend on the final program even if they charged per hour. it was not a one rate fits all. especially in terms of languages|
|7||Accessibility||Transcription service||$1000||on going presentations and discussions|
|8||Accessibility||Program technician for trilingual broadcasting using Zoom||hours||60 hours x $60||$3,600||need support from events team|
|9||Bank fees||transfer charges, bank fees||transaction||$1000|
|10||General||Branding, design, and marketing||hours||30 hours x $25||$750||Icons, online banners, social media materials|
|11||General||Post-event video production||hours||60 hours x $25||$750|
|12||General||Accounting||hours||$1000||accounting cost for the whole even|
|13||General||Administration||hours||320hoursx$25||$8,000||Planning, executing and documenting the conference|
- Total cost of event
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- USD 36,223
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- In kind hours of organization and preparation
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- The Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda hosted the East Africa Strategy Salon last year, and have been active for quite some time organizing events and running projects promoting Wikimedia Projects in the region. This time with WikiIndaba they have the opportunity to bring together the Wikimedians from all over Africa and the rest of the world for the conference in Uganda, and I am confident they will do a good job. I strongly support the grant application. Kateregga1 (talk) 12:43, 17 February 2020 (UTC)
- This project should be selected for a conference grant since it will give an opportunity to the Wikimedia User group Uganda, to yet again bring together the voices from the East African region and contribute more to wikimedia. It is a challenge the group can take on to organise wikiIndiba and will help them to grow more, become a bigger community and increase their contribution to Wikimedia especially from the alliances that come from such a conference. It should also be selected for a conference grant since this conference is the first of its kind in Uganda.Faintsmoke (talk)
- It contributes to free knowledge since it will address challenges and open up opportunities for African Wiki-medians through sharing experiences and learning from each other that will result to building capacity. Sandra Aceng (talk) 05:33, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
- In support of the conference, as it will be one of the additional steps to have a collective impact, gathering and unity for Wikimedians in the open knowledge ecosystem across the continent (and beyond). I also have great faith in the organising team, having previously held conferences of similar magnitude, and this time welcoming the support of volunteer Wikimedians and organisations that will be involved. Douglaseru (talk)