Grants:Editatona Encuentros/Ennegreciendo Wikipedia
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
- To create a more inclusive and diverse editing community.
- To build a afrodescendent wikimedian community in Uruguay that could access and contribute to free knowledge.
- To recruit new editors and to engage them as contributors on all Wikimedia projects.
- To promote the participation of afrodescents in all Wikimedia projects.
- To increase the number of afro-uruguayans editors.
- To add and improve content about afro-uruguayan people.
- To promote editathons in order to make visible the contributions of afro-uruguayans people to society.
- To foster a meeting space between afro-Latin American contributors to strengthen ties and a sense of belonging and community identity.
- To promote the importance of Wikipedia as a source of free and accessible information and to stimulate the use of Wikipedia (and Wikiquote and Commons) for the afro-uruguayan community in Uruguay.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions: 1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning two editathon in two days focused in articles about afro-descendant writers and musiciens uruguayan women with a final artistic performance.
March 23rd and 24th 2019. 2 days (workshops, editatona and performance)
Place: Tribu Montevideo Cultural Center. 1858 Maldonado Street, Palermo. Montevideo. Uruguay.
Participants : Uruguayan Wikipedists, Afro-Uruguayan Women's Group "Impronta Poetry".
Participatory performance: Ennegreciendo Wikipédia with "Poesía Emergente" and the Afro-Uruguayan women's group of RAP "Se armó Kokoa".
March 30th. Montevideo, Uruguay. Participation in the editatona of Wikimedia Uruguay with the association Cotidiano Mujer. 2019. http://cotidianomujer.org.uy
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. We'll posted notifications on the differents websites:
Wikimedia Uruguay. https://wikimedia.uy/
Tribu Montevideo Cultural Center. https://www.facebook.com/tribumontevideo/
Afro- uruguayan women poetry group" Poesía emergente" doing the divulgation in the afro-uruguayan communities led by Eli Rodriguez. https://elirodrigueztallerista.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR0ANZ23j-d3vwmIwsr7_M7xBCnWqTXO0BG_9DKkY9WvgqCK3Wovgpm21r0
Secretaría de Equidad Étnico Racial y Poblaciones Migrantes. http://www.montevideo.gub.uy/institucional/dependencias/equidad-etnico-racial-y-poblaciones-migrantes
Casa de la Cultura Afrouruguaya. https://casaafrouruguaya.org/web/
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? We will host the events in a cultural center. Afro-uruguayan librarian collect books and material that can used as references. Those books will be listed on the event page so that people can find them. We'll bring material too.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)? Online mentors will send a welcome message to new editors after the event. They will monitor de work done by new editors and they continue to edit with help of Wikimedia Uruguay volunteers. They will monitor the work done by new editors between events so they can answer questions and offer feedback. We will also start a Facebook group for editathon participants to talk.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? In order to encourage the Afrodescendant community of Latin America for the Wikipedia; We must be interested in its cultural legacy and that this work of inclusion in the online encyclopedia has an impact of recognition of the cultural contribution of the African diaspora to the foundations of Latin American culture. I will finish the edit-a-thon with artistic performances of the different communities linked to it. As a black antiracism activist, musicien and performer, I have been in contact with cultural and social activists of the different communities.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 2
- Number of participants 10 per event = 25
- Number of new editors 20
- Number of of articles created or improved at least 30
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). We have already covered costs of internet connection, location and rooms for activities. We do not expect the Wikimedia Foundation to fund all aspects of the editathons or infrastructure. We already have spaces with computers, internet and projection equipment. We have 3 experienced Uruguayans Wikimedians who will attend all the events, one event planner, and 1 online mentors. The Cultural Center staff will help us with resources and are providing the venue for free to the participants. We have the support of Wikimedia Uruguay volunteers to run the editathon with us.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1. We need to cover the costs of the round trip for IGonzalez / from Brasil to Uruguay and the stay at the hotel.
2. 1 international roundtrip flight from Salvador de Bahia to Montevideo, Uruguay @ $500.
3. Hotel: 3 nights: $300
4. Food : $100
For the editathons
5. food and drinks for participants: 150 x 2 events= $300. 6. child care: 4hrs x $20/hr x 2 events= $ 160 7. Miscellaneous supplies = $100 (advertising, printed material.name tags, printing cheatsheets, etc.)
Total = $ 1460.
Since we have to buy the tickets and book the hotel in advance we would appreciate an answer as soon as possible.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support The goal of creating and editing articles related to afro-uruguayans topics , accompanied with artistic performance will create a bigger impact on the new contributors who can understand easily the need of diversifying the encyclopedia. Galahmm (talk) 07:54, 6 March 2019 (UTC)
- Ivonne, the main organizer, is fantastic and has organized for AfroCROWD in Paris and elsewhere. She is well trained and experienced at organizing. The purpose of the the event also lines up with Wikimedia's goals around inclusion and partnership for 2030. Shanluan (talk) 15:40, 6 March 2019 (UTC)
- Support There are many biographies of afro-uruguayans to do on Wikipedia in Spanish. We will glad to have Ivonne in Uruguay supporting the community on that!Señoritaleona (talk) 00:53, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a great initiative lead by a very dynamic organizer whose passion is to reach out to underrepresented communities in Latin America. Her target group is quite invisible at movement events and we can only assume under-represented among Latin American editors. Go Ivonne! Aliceba (talk) 15:47, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- Support This is a wonderful project to help with diversifying Spanish wikipedia and to provide visibility to Afro Uruguayans. Ivonne is an incredible organizer and this work aligns with the 2030 Wikimedia goals. Siarus1074 (talk) 19:24, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- Support I fully support this initiative led by AfricanaDeCuba who has gathered information very thoroughly among various senior wikipedians and project leaders of different languages (AfroCROWD and les sans pagEs), also on the francophone en anglophone wikis. I am glad to see that she is making use of the information transmitted to her with such energy and engagement. She has also won a prize in a francophone wikipedian contest organized with the University of Geneva. Nattes à chat (talk) 11:33, 15 March 2019 (UTC)