Grants:IEG/Editing Maithili Wikipedia/Midpoint
Welcome to this project's midpoint report! This report shares progress and learnings from the Individual Engagement Grantee's first 3 months.
In a few short sentences or bullet points, give the main highlights of what happened with your project so far.
- We have reached 10 Educational Institution of Rajbiraj.
- We share our Wiki knowledge to approx 1500 students from 10 Educational institution.
- Lots of students and professors are showing their interest to give their contribution to Wikipedia Continuously.
Methods and activities
How have you setup your project, and what work has been completed so far?
Describe how you've setup your experiment or pilot, sharing your key focuses so far and including links to any background research or past learning that has guided your decisions. List and describe the activities you've undertaken as part of your project to this point.
- We have first created a facebook page about the activities involved like educational program and articles creating in Maithili Wikipedia.
- We had regular meetups about the project activities that in turn gave us lots of ideas about put forwarding the project.
- We have visited almost 20 schools and colleges to collect information about the interest among the students and teachers of such type of knowledge sharing activities.
- Before we started the project we organized a team that worked to create good and effective presentation for educational program of project.
What are the results of your project or any experiments you’ve worked on so far?
Please discuss anything you have created or changed (organized, built, grown, etc) as a result of your project to date.
- As a result of educational program in 10 schools and colleges there is significant increase of contributors on Maithili Wikipedia.
- During the project we have organized indoor wiki training program for interested students to make their involvement in wiki activities easier.
- We have successfully organized Women Edit-a-thon on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- 200 new user account created on Maithili Wikipedia.
- 20 Active Users so far from the community. (bot, global action not included)
- 800 new articles are created or modified.
Please take some time to update the table in your project finances page. Check that you’ve listed all approved and actual expenditures as instructed. If there are differences between the planned and actual use of funds, please use the column provided there to explain them.
Then, answer the following question here: Have you spent your funds according to plan so far? Please briefly describe any major changes to budget or expenditures that you anticipate for the second half of your project.
- Yes so far we have spent our funds according to our plan and we expect no changes there.
The best thing about trying something new is that you learn from it. We want to follow in your footsteps and learn along with you, and we want to know that you are taking enough risks to learn something really interesting! Please use the below sections to describe what is working and what you plan to change for the second half of your project.
What are the challenges
What challenges or obstacles have you encountered? What will you do differently going forward? Please list these as short bullet points.
- In our region schools and colleges are always struggling to fulfill their basic needs so they are not much interested to involve in such extra activities. For this we had able to convince them about the impact of knowledge sharing on the students future.
- Another challenge was during the project schools and colleges have their exams running. for this we had made the necessary adjustments on the project schedule.
What is working well
What have you found works best so far? To help spread successful strategies so that they can be of use to others in the movement, rather than writing lots of text here, we'd like you to share your finding in the form of a link to a learning pattern.
Next steps and opportunities
What are the next steps and opportunities you’ll be focusing on for the second half of your project? Please list these as short bullet points. If you're considering applying for a 6-month renewal of this IEG at the end of your project, please also mention this here.
- We decide to complete the Education Program within the month of May and organize an Edit-a-thon on Maithili Wikipedia.
- We will provide more resources and knowledge relevant to Wikipedia to all the interested participants that will encourage them to participate in wiki related project more comfortably and enthusiastically.
We’d love to hear any thoughts you have on how the experience of being an IEGrantee has been so far. What is one thing that surprised you, or that you particularly enjoyed from the past 3 months?
- We have had an amazing experience working on the grant so far. We’ve got great support from Marti, our program officer, in making all this happen we expecting same kind of support from her in future. The IEG gives us opportunity to provide our Wiki knowledge among students and professors. We are honored to be part of this.